PDA

View Full Version : Sooner or later, the league will suspend Ryan Clark

polamalubeast
10-08-2012, 12:16 PM
Whether you agree or not, whether it is warranted or not, it is only a matter of time before the league suspends Steelers safety Ryan Clark.

Clark was flagged for a late hit against Philadelphia tight end Brent Celek Sunday, but easily could've been called for a helmet-to-helmet hit.

Out of all of his penalties over the past couple years, this one was the most egregious.

The hit was clearly after the whistle and it was clearly helmet-to-helmet contact, and obviously he is a multiple offender.

Clark was fined $55,000 with a span of a week in early November last year for hitting the head of Rob Gronkowski then Ed Dickson. The hit on Dickson cost Clark $40,000.

Now, Clark's hit on Celek isn't bad enough to warrant a suspension on its own merit, but when you continue to stack up fines in a short period of time like Clark, it will be only a matter of time that they will sit him down for a game.

The NFL did it to James Harrison last year and Denver linebacker Joe Mays this year, so there is precedent.

It's well within the NFL's rights to do so. It's just a question of when they pull the trigger.

http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-steelers/f/8bd892a6-c2b5-4e79-8eb7-6e690833f9a1/?source=twitter

suitanim
10-08-2012, 12:28 PM
I actually expect it this week. And maybe Mundy, too. They've both been hit for playing real football. The league has made it quite clear that playing real football will not be tolerated.

X-Terminator
10-08-2012, 12:40 PM
I actually expect it this week. And maybe Mundy, too. They've both been hit for playing real football. The league has made it quite clear that playing real football will not be tolerated.

And sadly, more and more of the fans are starting to accept that, which says a lot about society in general.

fansince'76
10-08-2012, 12:42 PM
The league has made it quite clear that playing real football will not be tolerated.

Yup...

James Harrison: I let up on Michael Vick so I wouldn’t get fined (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/08/james-harrison-i-let-up-on-michael-vick-so-i-wouldnt-get-fined/)

Woulda been just dandy if Vick had gotten away for a big gain or a score because Harrison was preoccupied with worrying about whether Vick would duck his head at the last second instead of doing his damn job.

X-Terminator
10-08-2012, 12:47 PM
Yup...

James Harrison: I let up on Michael Vick so I wouldn’t get fined (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/08/james-harrison-i-let-up-on-michael-vick-so-i-wouldnt-get-fined/)

And that is going to kill his effectiveness. Deebo just ain't Deebo if he can't play with reckless abandon. Thanks Roger.

Butch
10-08-2012, 01:21 PM
This is the 3rd bull shit media story I have commented on in a row in the Steeler Universe forum. Sad thing is X-Terminator the press continues to shove it down our throats and sadly when you beat someone over the head with it long enough they will either leave or succumb to it.

Love coach Tomlins response to all this when he was questioned about it during his press conference. He basically put them in their place and admonished them for their continuously asking the same stupid question when he tried to brush them off the 1st dozen times. The media will tell you it's what sells I say it's bull shit and sometimes it would be refreshing if the media types would leave things alone.

Remember the story last week about how Tomlin wanted to pursue Vick??? The whole thing is a sad statement of how the press sells itself and those who are believers in what they are selling.

X-Terminator
10-08-2012, 01:54 PM
This is the 3rd bull shit media story I have commented on in a row in the Steeler Universe forum. Sad thing is X-Terminator the press continues to shove it down our throats and sadly when you beat someone over the head with it long enough they will either leave or succumb to it.

Love coach Tomlins response to all this when he was questioned about it during his press conference. He basically put them in their place and admonished them for their continuously asking the same stupid question when he tried to brush them off the 1st dozen times. The media will tell you it's what sells I say it's bull shit and sometimes it would be refreshing if the media types would leave things alone.

Remember the story last week about how Tomlin wanted to pursue Vick??? The whole thing is a sad statement of how the press sells itself and those who are believers in what they are selling.

This is true. Cannot underestimate the media's role in all of this. All they care about is getting ratings, and the hell with journalistic integrity.

86WARD
10-08-2012, 02:03 PM
Clark should be fined. Possibly suspended. Mundy should not be fined. Would be total bullshit if he was.

steelreserve
10-08-2012, 03:13 PM
There's no question Clark will be suspended before long. The league has made very it clear they've put him on the fast track for extra punishment. I don't expect it to be this week - they'll probably wait until he hits a celebrity receiver or the pass comes from a famous QB. I have my eye on 10/28 against the Redskins and 11/4 against the Giants, and if not, 12/9 against the Chargers or 12/16 against the Cowboys.

Craic
10-08-2012, 03:49 PM
And sadly, more and more of the fans are starting to accept that, which says a lot about society in general.

That we expect people to play within the rules? Or that we expect people not to take egregious headshots when the play is effectively over? There is no defending Ryan Clark's headshot. It was stupid. Mundy is a completely different story and I will be upset if he gets fined, because either; (1) didn't hit the guy in the head or, (2) it was a mutual thing, Mundy's momentum didn't carry him into the receiver.

But Clark absolutely deserves to be fined for the hit. The rules have been in place long enough.

Craic
10-08-2012, 03:53 PM
There's no question Clark will be suspended before long. The league has made very it clear they've put him on the fast track for extra punishment. I don't expect it to be this week - they'll probably wait until he hits a celebrity receiver or the pass comes from a famous QB. I have my eye on 10/28 against the Redskins and 11/4 against the Giants, and if not, 12/9 against the Chargers or 12/16 against the Cowboys.

So you're saying that the NFL will look the other way on Clarks illegal hits until he doesn't it against a player big enough that it creates an outrage and forces the NFL's hand? You do know that's exactly the opposite of the "Goodell hates the Steelers" meme so popular on this board, right?

zulater
10-08-2012, 04:10 PM
That we expect people to play within the rules? Or that we expect people not to take egregious headshots when the play is effectively over? There is no defending Ryan Clark's headshot. It was stupid. Mundy is a completely different story and I will be upset if he gets fined, because either; (1) didn't hit the guy in the head or, (2) it was a mutual thing, Mundy's momentum didn't carry him into the receiver.

But Clark absolutely deserves to be fined for the hit. The rules have been in place long enough.

Sad to say, I can't disagree with anything you say here. :lol:

X-Terminator
10-08-2012, 04:22 PM

I have no problem with Clark being fined. It was a late hit after the whistle. Under no circumstances, however, should Mundy be fined for his hit. We agree there. My point was that the fans are now accepting ANY hit - even clearly legal ones like Mundy's - as illegal and cheap, and that says a lot about the pussification of society in general.

steelreserve
10-08-2012, 04:27 PM
So you're saying that the NFL will look the other way on Clarks illegal hits until he doesn't it against a player big enough that it creates an outrage and forces the NFL's hand? You do know that's exactly the opposite of the "Goodell hates the Steelers" meme so popular on this board, right?

No, I think they'll continue to fine him at the drop of a hat, and take an extreme step when there's a big name involved. It's actually right in line with the way Goodell behaves. Continue badgering Steelers players, Harrison and Clark in particular. And then overreact when there's something that might cause waves in the media.

I'm 100% certain the only reason Harrison has been suspended and Clark hasn't is because Clark doesn't have the same name recognition, and hasn't been involved in any marquee collisions with high-profile players.

Which is also why I'm pretty sure Mundy is now on the punishment fast track - the DHB collision was all over ESPN, so accidental or not, that incident by itself counts as the first warning, last warning, and all warnings in between, and targets him for suspension. For that reason, I'm also going to say he gets fined a very large amount this week even though he absolutely doesn't deserve it.

stillers4me
10-08-2012, 04:28 PM
The problem with him being a "repeat offender" is that the ones he was fined for before weren't always illegal ones.

Wallace108
10-08-2012, 05:11 PM
It seems Ryan doesn't agree with Kaboly:

ryan clark ‏@RealRClark25

@MarkKaboly_Trib Can't have a helmet to helmet hit on a runner. A reporter who'd done his research before writing his story would know that

Craic
10-08-2012, 07:00 PM
No, I think they'll continue to fine him at the drop of a hat, and take an extreme step when there's a big name involved. It's actually right in line with the way Goodell behaves. Continue badgering Steelers players, Harrison and Clark in particular. And then overreact when there's something that might cause waves in the media.

I'm 100% certain the only reason Harrison has been suspended and Clark hasn't is because Clark doesn't have the same name recognition, and hasn't been involved in any marquee collisions with high-profile players.

Which is also why I'm pretty sure Mundy is now on the punishment fast track - the DHB collision was all over ESPN, so accidental or not, that incident by itself counts as the first warning, last warning, and all warnings in between, and targets him for suspension. For that reason, I'm also going to say he gets fined a very large amount this week even though he absolutely doesn't deserve it.

The problem with that assessment, is that all fines are handed out by schedule, not by arbitrarily set amounts. It would then follow, that suspensions are now handed out the same way, or become an option after a certain amount of fines, since they both are part of the same punisment process.

Craic
10-08-2012, 07:01 PM
I have no problem with Clark being fined. It was a late hit after the whistle. Under no circumstances, however, should Mundy be fined for his hit. We agree there. My point was that the fans are now accepting ANY hit - even clearly legal ones like Mundy's - as illegal and cheap, and that says a lot about the pussification of society in general.

Ahh, then I misread your post, I apologize.

Though, I'd say it says a lot about the homerism of NFL fans in general, more than society.

SteelerFanInStl
10-08-2012, 07:02 PM
It seems Ryan doesn't agree with Kaboly:

Ryan is correct. It was the lateness of the hit that drew the flag and had nothing to do with helmet to helmet. The player was NOT defenseless.

Craic
10-08-2012, 07:04 PM
Sad to say, I can't disagree with anything you say here. :lol:

You know you love me!

Note to Owners of the board: Is there an auto-merge feature that can be turned on? I'm part of another board that actually auto-merges posts if someone posts within a certain period of time, or if no one else posts after them for a certain period (longer I think) of time. I just realized I have three different posts here, and really, I'm just too lazy to go back and merge them all into one.

Craic
10-08-2012, 07:07 PM
Ryan is correct. It was the lateness of the hit that drew the flag and had nothing to do with helmet to helmet. The player was NOT defenseless.

I haven't been following that story as much. But now that you mention it, yeah, you're probably right. In that case however, the Steelers should fine him for taking a stupid 15 yard penalty a la Kemoeautu. (Funny thing. I don't know how to spell Kemo's name, and my spell check wants to change it to Beauteous. Wow - that's a swing and a miss, on MANY, MANY levels).

SteelGhost
10-08-2012, 08:12 PM
Clark is losing his mind, BUT maybe just a fine would be right IMO.

X-Terminator
10-08-2012, 09:25 PM
You know you love me!

Note to Owners of the board: Is there an auto-merge feature that can be turned on? I'm part of another board that actually auto-merges posts if someone posts within a certain period of time, or if no one else posts after them for a certain period (longer I think) of time. I just realized I have three different posts here, and really, I'm just too lazy to go back and merge them all into one.

The newest version of vBulletin (4.2) has an auto-merge feature. So when I finally get off my lazy ass and install it, we'll have it here. :wink02:

steelreserve
10-08-2012, 11:15 PM
The problem with that assessment, is that all fines are handed out by schedule, not by arbitrarily set amounts. It would then follow, that suspensions are now handed out the same way, or become an option after a certain amount of fines, since they both are part of the same punisment process.

That would be the logical thing, wouldn't it? But I would'nt count on it. As far as I know, the league can just skip all that and pull a suspension or a jumbo fine out of their ass if they think they've got a reason.

If I recall, Joe Mays, the guy they suspended from the Broncos this season, hadn't been working up to it by being a "repeat offender" or anything. But it was a big deal because he hit a well-known QB and his helmet came off - so straight to $50K and a suspension because it looked bad. They WILL still make shit up.

Craic
10-09-2012, 01:08 AM
That would be the logical thing, wouldn't it? But I would'nt count on it. As far as I know, the league can just skip all that and pull a suspension or a jumbo fine out of their ass if they think they've got a reason.

If I recall, Joe Mays, the guy they suspended from the Broncos this season, hadn't been working up to it by being a "repeat offender" or anything. But it was a big deal because he hit a well-known QB and his helmet came off - so straight to $50K and a suspension because it looked bad. They WILL still make shit up.

Yes and no, they have a schedule, which establishes the minimum amount, and the min. amount for the second fine. Yes, they can move up from there, but it isn't as arbitrary as many here make it out to be. e fact that is was Mays second fine this season (http://superfraud.blogspot.com/2012/09/and-more-fine-blotter-for-week-two.html) alone means that his fine was doubled. Thus, it would have been $25,000 for the hit. When you remember that Rodgers-Cromartie was fined $21,000 for a hit that, and there was no injury (I dislike that element of the fining process - always hated the 'blood draws bigger foul' idea), then $25,000 was just about right. Since it's the second fine, it's doubled, to $50,000. Since the QB lost a part of an ear, he probably got suspended.

suitanim
10-09-2012, 05:38 AM
The problem with him being a "repeat offender" is that the ones he was fined for before weren't always illegal ones.

And THAT is my biggest (in a series of other smaller ones) problem with all this.

If this was the real World, and Clark was a bank robber, I wouldn't care if, say, two of the three bank robberies he was charged with he didn't actually commit, because robbing a bank is always wrong, and if you're caught once you go away.

But some of the calls against Clark were just WRONG. NOT illegal, NOT fineable, and yet they will be held against him. Not to mention that fact that most helmet-to-helmet hits SHOULD NOT be penalties to begin with. But that's a War I'm afraid we've already lost...

Moose
10-09-2012, 09:30 AM
It's just amazing how a sissy commish can change a single sport like football ! And the worst part is everyone, players, owner's, advertiser's, etc.,etc., let's it happen. Why can't the NFL and all their money come up with better pad linings in the helmets, come up with neck braces of some sort in the uniforms, etc.. It doesn't seem they are concerned about the type of playing field turf which causes many injuries a year. It's just sickening to think that great player's, i.e. James Harrison, start changing their style of play, which they were taught since a young age, to please the asshole, know nothing commish. Changing their style of play also changes their worth.....from a great player to a mediocre player.....which can also change dollar value on many players. What a shame.

NCSteeler
10-09-2012, 11:39 AM
I watched it live and didn't think it was so egregiously clear that A. Celek was down and not trying to continue or B the whistle had blown. If Celek would have popped up for a long run we would all be screaming about it. I must be watching a different game then many here.

steelreserve
10-09-2012, 12:29 PM
Yes and no, they have a schedule, which establishes the minimum amount, and the min. amount for the second fine. Yes, they can move up from there, but it isn't as arbitrary as many here make it out to be. e fact that is was Mays second fine this season (http://superfraud.blogspot.com/2012/09/and-more-fine-blotter-for-week-two.html) alone means that his fine was doubled. Thus, it would have been $25,000 for the hit. When you remember that Rodgers-Cromartie was fined $21,000 for a hit that, and there was no injury (I dislike that element of the fining process - always hated the 'blood draws bigger foul' idea), then $25,000 was just about right. Since it's the second fine, it's doubled, to $50,000. Since the QB lost a part of an ear, he probably got suspended.

Well, ok, maybe. But it's much simpler to just call Goodell as asshole who doesn't know what he's doing, and still just as accurate.

suitanim
10-09-2012, 01:00 PM
Mundy has already been flagged and fined once this year for the hit on Heyward-Bey. His days are numbered too...let's not forget that.