PDA

View Full Version : Weslye Saunders' return from suspension means a cut is coming

LLT
10-08-2012, 06:14 AM
behindthesteelcurtain.com
Neal Coolong

-The image I have is second-year tight end Weslye Saunders stalking around the entrance of the South Side facility like a caged animal. He's more than ready to break his league-imposed vow of silence with the team, and re-join his team in the short week of work before taking on the Titans in Week 6 Thursday.

Roughly around the same time the building opens, they are likely to announce the release of a player to make room for Saunders on their active roster.

The decision seems far less dramatic than that, however. The fact rookie David Paulson, and not Leonard Pope, served as the team's No. 2 tight end in a 16-14 victory over Philadelphia in Week 5 speaks for the situation.

Pope's release four games into the 2012 season seems imminent, making Paulson - the fourth 7th round draft pick to make the Steelers active roster since 2009 - a permanent member of the team.

And he did it with grit. Cutting his teeth on special teams, Paulson got his first career catch in Week 5, an eight-yard completion on 1st-and-20, the first positive play on the Steelers' nine-play, 51 yard drive that resulted in Shaun Suisham's game-winning field goal.

Read More: http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/10/8/3472642/steelers-roster-weslye-saunders-suspension-week-6-return-leonard-pope-david-paulson-released

Austin87
10-08-2012, 07:24 AM
Can't wait to have Sanders back, he showed some potential last year. Pope and Paulson doesn't seem to have the same upside as Sanders.

Psycho Ward 86
10-08-2012, 01:52 PM
Hmm...as long as we have 2 tight ends that can block ill be happy. Who knows where Saunders is at in that department right now. He was horrid last year. ANd Paulson is renowned as more of a receiving tight end as well. I guess it is a passing league, but its nice to have some decent blocking from your tight end too. Anyone been keeping an eye on Pope?

Chidi29
10-08-2012, 08:33 PM
Hmm...as long as we have 2 tight ends that can block ill be happy. Who knows where Saunders is at in that department right now. He was horrid last year. ANd Paulson is renowned as more of a receiving tight end as well. I guess it is a passing league, but its nice to have some decent blocking from your tight end too. Anyone been keeping an eye on Pope?

Like the article said, Paulson was playing ahead of Pope last week. Don't think he played much, if at all.

Iron Steeler
10-08-2012, 11:28 PM
easy, cut colon to free up room :lol:

LLT
10-08-2012, 11:57 PM
Pope will be the odd man out...They like Paulsons effort.

HollywoodSteel
10-09-2012, 08:25 PM
Pope should absolutely be cut. He can't catch. And it's not like he's an exceptional blocker or anything, but let's say that he's a better blocker than Paulson. It means nothing if he can't catch. Mike Adams is a better blocker than Pope, right? So why not make him a TE if a TE who can only block is worth having on the field? Then again, I've never seen Adams drop a ball that him in the chest, so the comparison might be unfair.

Count Steeler
10-09-2012, 08:28 PM
Pope should absolutely be cut. He can't catch. And it's not like he's an exceptional blocker or anything, but let's say that he's a better blocker than Paulson. It means nothing if he can't catch. Mike Adams is a better blocker than Pope, right? So why not make him a TE if a TE who can only block is worth having on the field? Then again, I've never seen Adams drop a ball that him in the chest, so the comparison might be unfair.

:rofl2: :toofunny: A 325 pounder going over the middle to challenge a 225 pound safety. Bring it on! Steelers football! I love it! :toofunny: :rofl2:

steelerdude15
10-09-2012, 09:55 PM
I have a feeling Pope will be the one cut when the time comes.

7willBheaven
10-10-2012, 07:42 PM
I think it will and should be Pope. While there was hope of the big endzone target/etc. He just hasnt done squat. And with Paulson playing in place of him Sunday...plus with the FB W Johnson improving in BOTH blocking and catching...they can kick Pope to the curb...even though they still have to pay him.

Chidi29
10-10-2012, 08:11 PM
I think it will and should be Pope. While there was hope of the big endzone target/etc. He just hasnt done squat. And with Paulson playing in place of him Sunday...plus with the FB W Johnson improving in BOTH blocking and catching...they can kick Pope to the curb...even though they still have to pay him.

It's a tiny amount owed (500K-ish) so no big deal.

7willBheaven
10-10-2012, 08:16 PM
It's a tiny amount owed (500K-ish) so no big deal.

I figured it was the minimum/etc....so i was thinking 500-750K or so. And hey if theres an injury down the line and he's still available he'll only be a phone call away.

I just wish I could sit around and do nothing and collect that kind of money.

Chidi29
10-10-2012, 08:30 PM
Become a vested veteran and you can! Haha

7willBheaven
10-11-2012, 12:32 PM
Become a vested veteran and you can! Haha

Hey I've put in many years as it is, hahah!

katmandu
10-13-2012, 12:36 AM
Roughly around the same time the building opens, they are likely to announce the release of a player to make room for Saunders on their active roster.

The decision seems far less dramatic than that, however. What say you now ????

LLT
10-13-2012, 01:01 AM

The decision seems far less dramatic than that, however.

What say you now ????

Is that question for the author of the article?.....Because that's a direct quote from the original story.

zulater
10-13-2012, 02:35 AM
Steelers release TE Saunders

The Steelers released tight end Weslye Saunders today after he served his four-game NFL suspension for taking a banned substance -- a move that points up the development of rookie David Paulson and the team's interest in him.
The Steelers had until 4 p.m. today to decide if they wanted to keep Saunders or release Paulson or veteran backup Leonard Pope.
Pope, who was signed in free agency from the Kansas City Chiefs, where he played for offensive coordinator Todd Haley, has not played the past two games.
But, because he is a vested veteran, Pope would have to be paid the minimum of $840,000 even if he were released.
Paulson, a sixth round pick, has played extensively the past two games and was lauded by Coach Mike Tomlin last week as a player "who the game is not too big for."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-release-te-saunders-657301/#ixzz29A7wrG6D

vader29
07-18-2013, 04:44 PM
Suspension number 2 for Saunders.

Ian Rapoport‏@RapSheet

#Colts TE Weslye Saunders is suspended for the season's first 8 games for violating @NFL's PED policy, per league.

Count Steeler
07-18-2013, 04:51 PM

Ian Rapoport‏@RapSheet

#Colts TE Weslye Saunders is suspended for the season's first 8 games for violating @NFL's PED policy, per league.

Glad we released him. NFL is not doing very well at keeping that shield buffed.

polamalubeast
07-18-2013, 05:07 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 44s
Odd career for Weslye Saunders: Investigated by NCAA in college, suspended at SoCarolina, 2 PED suspensions for Steelers and Colts. Brutal..

ALLD
07-18-2013, 05:49 PM
What a moron.

Psycho Ward 86
07-18-2013, 06:46 PM

Ian Rapoport‏@RapSheet

LOL. well good thing we cut him before we really got to know how stupid he was

Seven
07-18-2013, 09:35 PM
I wasn't a fan of the decision to cut him, but I'll eat my words. The front office called this one perfectly. Still think the kid has a bunch of talent but it doesn't matter if he can't stay on the field.

steelerdude15
07-18-2013, 09:55 PM
Glad he's not our problem anymore.

Dwinsgames
07-19-2013, 07:24 AM
a full Dollars worth of talent with a 25 cent brain

Devilsdancefloor
07-19-2013, 07:31 AM
I cant believe he didnt learn from being cut here, but he found a job not to long after being cut, so the impact of what he did obviously didnt sink it, so maybe a year out of the NFL will wake him up? I do think he will end up somewhere he is a talent. Pittsburgh West perhaps?

fansince'76
07-19-2013, 08:20 AM
If he feels the need to juice to play, then I question how talented he really is.

tube517
07-19-2013, 09:18 AM
I cant believe he didnt learn from being cut here, but he found a job not to long after being cut, so the impact of what he did obviously didnt sink it, so maybe a year out of the NFL will wake him up? I do think he will end up somewhere he is a talent. Pittsburgh West perhaps?

He's been everywhere Arians has been. I wouldn't be surprised.

Nadroj 20
07-19-2013, 09:18 AM
If he feels the need to juice to play, then I question how talented he really is.

He must be questioning that too. I have always thought that people who juice must have low self esteem and confidence. Otherwise they would trust their hardwork and talent and not feel the need to use drugs to play well.

Texasteel
07-19-2013, 09:44 AM
a full Dollars worth of talent with a 25 cent brain

Unfortunately that seems to be becoming the norm in this league. These kids go through their entire lives with people making excuses for them and taking care of any problems for themselves from Pop league to the pro. I can't believe that kids that work so hard on the football field can't, or just don't put that much effort into the rest of their lives. If there are not already, there should be classes on Sport Mentality.

steelreserve
07-19-2013, 11:44 AM
http://i.imgur.com/IRrxceO.jpg

86WARD
07-20-2013, 06:27 AM
He's a moron. He'll be arrested within the next three years...I know...not really going out on a limb there.

steelreserve
07-20-2013, 07:24 PM
He's a moron. He'll be arrested within the next three years...I know...not really going out on a limb there.

Which would you bet on? Weapons charges, or possession with intent to sell?

Dwinsgames
07-20-2013, 08:30 PM
Which would you bet on? Weapons charges, or possession with intent to sell?

or both

steelreserve
07-21-2013, 09:34 PM
or both

Best to go for the hat trick and add driving under the influence, then. Or violating probation, take your pick.

Dwinsgames
07-21-2013, 09:46 PM
Best to go for the hat trick and add driving under the influence, then. Or violating probation, take your pick.

fleeing from the police while DUI with dope in the car and a handgun loaded under the seat after laying the smackdown on his pregnant girlfriend ( the reason the cops where after him to begin with ) ... that's my guess anyways

zulater
07-21-2013, 10:03 PM

Fair question. Instead of being stupid maybe he was smart to take PED's? Perhaps he would have never even made a NFL roster without them?

Devilsdancefloor
07-22-2013, 07:37 AM
Fair question. Instead of being stupid maybe he was smart to take PED's? Perhaps he would have never even made a NFL roster without them?

Id wonder if he isnt just addicted to the RUSH of whatever he is taking. Ther is a certain RUSH when you walk into a gym and throw a extra X weight on the stack. Plus the more i think about it he was so anxious to be part of the yonng money crew

steelreserve
07-22-2013, 12:37 PM
fleeing from the police while DUI with dope in the car and a handgun loaded under the seat after laying the smackdown on his pregnant girlfriend ( the reason the cops where after him to begin with ) ... that's my guess anyways

whoa now .. I mean the guy's a moron, but I don't know if he's Lawrence Phillips just yet.

Dwinsgames
07-22-2013, 02:40 PM
whoa now .. I mean the guy's a moron, but I don't know if he's Lawrence Phillips just yet.

think the worst , if the better comes it is all the better :)

Chidi29
07-25-2013, 02:50 PM
Adam Schefter reporting Colts have waived Saunders.