PDA

View Full Version : Something to be excited about

Craic
10-07-2012, 07:17 PM
I know that one win is just that, one win, but there are a few things to be excited about in this game that make the future much brighter.

Two of them are being discussed in other threads, so they'll just get a brief mention.

1. Defense showed up today for the most part. (I'm overlooking the 14 points in the second half).
2. Running game is back.

With those two said, there's a third one that no one has really discussed. It's the fact that Ben was able to take control of the game and march his team down the field, control the clock, and win the game. The last six minutes of that game reminded me of the Steelers '08 end of game offense. Remember when they couldn't do crap from 45 minutes (one good drive to start the game, one good one just before half time), and then in the last four to six minutes, they'd walk out on the field and make whatever defense they were playing against look second rate? Yeah, that's the offense I saw today.

Why is this important? Because in the last year or two, I've not seen that magic. Every since Ben had the ball and one last drive to win the SB, and they lost it, the magic seemed to be gone. Once again, one game doesn't make a season, but if our defense is starting to get better, and our offense has the ability to make that last drive of the game count, this entire season is going to be a lot different than many of use feared or at least admitted was possible this time two weeks ago.

Count Steeler
10-07-2012, 09:24 PM
Yes it was nice to finally see a game winning drive from Ben in the 4th quarter. I think the offense is way ahead of the defense at this point (and would be further ahead if Colon would learn how to block without holding).

Still some key injuries on the defense, and possible suspensions pending, the unit may not gel until the 8th or 9th week, and at that point, it may be too late.

We have a tough task ahead, with a short week and going on the road to the Titans. That does give us 1 1/2 weeks to recover, after the game.

GBMelBlount
10-07-2012, 09:36 PM
1. Defense showed up today for the most part. (I'm overlooking the 14 points in the second half).
2. Running game is back.

I guess I watched a different game. lol.

This was not much different than the other games except we won by the skin of our teeth instead of losing in the same manner.

Running game is officially back after one game. Glad to hear. Mendy looked good...though he has a pattern of doing this. Let's hope it continues.

Craic
10-08-2012, 12:37 AM
I guess I watched a different game. lol.

This was not much different than the other games except we won by the skin of our teeth instead of losing in the same manner.

Running game is officially back after one game. Glad to hear. Mendy looked good...though he has a pattern of doing this. Let's hope it continues.

You seem to have skipped over "Brief Mention" and gone right to "Stated as fact." You also seemed to skip over "excited about in this game"

Or do you think the running game was the same as it was the last three weeks?

Moose
10-08-2012, 02:52 AM
Apparently it doesn't take much to get you excited. I saw a game that we were lucky to win. I know, a win is a win, which I agree 100% with, I don't care if it's ugly or not, I want our team to win. I'm happy with the " W " and hope we get many, many more. But, our team is hurting right now with bookoo injuries, and the rookies are going to have to step up. Again, happy with win....excited --- nope.

Craic
10-08-2012, 03:43 PM
Apparently it doesn't take much to get you excited. I saw a game that we were lucky to win. I know, a win is a win, which I agree 100% with, I don't care if it's ugly or not, I want our team to win. I'm happy with the " W " and hope we get many, many more. But, our team is hurting right now with bookoo injuries, and the rookies are going to have to step up. Again, happy with win....excited --- nope.

Wow, I really must have overestimated the reading comprehension in this forum . . . either that, or too many of you had way too much beer in celebration yesterday. I'll go with the latter, since usually you all are pretty good.

So, since it seems much of Steelernation, or at least those who are replying to this thread, are still hungover, let me help ya'll out. BTW, I hear a good sausage sandwich down at Pirmanti's is perfect for a hangover, try it! :chuckle:

ALright, first, I said "but there are a few things to be excited about in this game"

That means that outside of the things NOT to be excited about, and the continued frustrations, such as our defense being scored on twice in the second half, which I also referenced later on, there are a couple things that, if a person focuses on those instead, can get a person excited. That means I'm not talking about the entire game. I'm not talking about the "win" as a whole. I'm talking about two or three very specific aspects of the game and actually, if you re-read my OP, you'll see that it is ONE thing that I am really discussing here.

The ability of Big Ben to make a last drive to win a game. Something that we haven't seen for quite a while.

So tell me, is that, or is that not, something to get excited about, within the context of me stating, "I know this is only one win"?

SteelGhost
10-08-2012, 08:50 PM
I'm happy with the win, apparently the running game is back as well as the pass rush, BUT I'm still concerned about the defense, specially the secondary without Troy. The bunch of penalties must be reduced ASAP.

Devilsdancefloor
10-08-2012, 09:30 PM

I think it has been the steelers MO for a long time win by the skin of their teeth, but win is a win as you said.

I do like the fact they seemed to fins the run game i didnt get to watch the game i was very busy, but i got to hear bits and pieces of the game. but we got some turn overs which have been missing excited not really, but its a good start of things. Just keep it up men!

GBMelBlount
10-08-2012, 10:12 PM
me
Running game is officially back after one game. Glad to hear.

Mendy looked good...though he has a pattern of doing this. Let's hope it continues.

You seem to have skipped over "Brief Mention" and gone right to "Stated as fact." You also seemed to skip over "excited about [I]in this game"

Or do you think the running game was the same as it was the last three weeks?

lol. and you accuse me of skimming.

suitanim
10-09-2012, 05:28 AM
The Eagles play ugly, and everyone they play plays ugly (even Arizona). You have two choices: Win ugly, or lose ugly.

I prefer the former.

Moose
10-09-2012, 09:01 AM
Again, this is MY opinion. I am glad we got this win, it was a needed win. As far as the 'excited' thing, maybe we have different definitions of excited. IF we would have come out and blew up the eagles from kick off to end of game....example win 42 - 10 (I know overly big score, but hopefully you get my drift), then I would be extra excited to think that our defense and offense were on an ass kickin' page, and our Steeler's as we know them are back ! At home, you know our fan's would have been yelling their lungs out. But, it didn't play out that way did it. Our WR's were dropping balls, our defense wasn't their normal ( or were they? ) and again we had to rely on a good FG to escape with a win. Yay, we won ! And yea, I'm GLAD !!