PDA

View Full Version : When DeCastro comes back leave Foster in, dump Colon!

zulater
10-07-2012, 04:44 PM
When David is ready to return I think the Steelers need to think long and hard about where they put him. Right now Foster is easily outplaying Willie Colon. Maybe by the time DeCastro's ready to return Colon's play will be better. But right now he stinks. You can't keep losing yards on one guy's constant holds! :doh:

Edman
10-07-2012, 04:45 PM
Colon's mauler style results in him holding on every play. His problem is that he keeps getting caught.

The guy had a rough game, and to be fair the Zebras were pretty ridiculous today.

Chidi29
10-07-2012, 04:53 PM
The holds are frustrating but remember that he's still learning to play guard after just knowing how to play tackle his entire career. Completely different ball game when you're asked to pull 10/15 times a game when he probably didn't pull that much his entire career.

When you see it all come together for Colon, it looks pretty good. He's a nasty run blocker at an angry 340 and I've seen progression. This game may have been a step back but I'm not going to jump ship yet.

Craic
10-07-2012, 04:58 PM
When David is ready to return I think the Steelers need to think long and hard about where they put him. Right now Foster is easily outplaying Willie Colon. Maybe by the time DeCastro's ready to return Colon's play will be better. But right now he stinks. You can't keep losing yards on one guy's constant holds! :doh:

Wait a second, after years of horrid run blocking, you want to break up the best Left Guard/Center run blocking pair on this team since Hartings and Faneca? Are you nuts? We just got our best runner back, and you can see the difference it makes. There's no WAY Colon should sit, nor is he being outplayed by Foster, ESPECIALLY in the run.

st33lersguy
10-07-2012, 05:04 PM
Better yet, who's the guard behind Colon? Try him and see if he can hold less than once every 3 plays

zulater
10-07-2012, 06:19 PM
The holds are frustrating but remember that he's still learning to play guard after just knowing how to play tackle his entire career. Completely different ball game when you're asked to pull 10/15 times a game when he probably didn't pull that much his entire career.

When you see it all come together for Colon, it looks pretty good. He's a nasty run blocker at an angry 340 and I've seen progression. This game may have been a step back but I'm not going to jump ship yet.

Maybe by the time DeCastro's ready to return Colon's play will be better.

Guess you missed this from the OP?

I loved that they ran better today. But still it's a passing league, and if you have one guy holding seemingly every other play you wont win games. Colon needs to step up his play big time. Had we lost today Colon is one of the main goats.

zulater
10-07-2012, 06:21 PM
Wait a second, after years of horrid run blocking, you want to break up the best Left Guard/Center run blocking pair on this team since Hartings and Faneca? Are you nuts? We just got our best runner back, and you can see the difference it makes. There's no WAY Colon should sit, nor is he being outplayed by Foster, ESPECIALLY in the run.

How many sacks has foster giving up this year? How many holding penalties, false starts, has he commited compared to Colon? Guarantee he's better in every single category there.

Colon needs to improve, and quickly!

zulater
10-07-2012, 06:30 PM
Steelers Depot‏@SteelersdepotWillie Colon has been flagged 8 times in 4 games (6) holding (2) false starts #steelers

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/14907-Heros-and-Zeros-Steelers-vs-Eagles

Thanks Stillers4me! :applaudit:

Chidi29
10-07-2012, 06:36 PM
Guess you missed this from the OP?

I loved that they ran better today. But still it's a passing league, and if you have one guy holding seemingly every other play you wont win games. Colon needs to step up his play big time. Had we lost today Colon is one of the main goats.

Then don't have a title that says, "Bench Colon when DeCastro comes back" when you yourself admit that the situation when DeCastro is healthy could be totally different.

zulater
10-07-2012, 06:51 PM
Then don't have a title that says, "Bench Colon when DeCastro comes back" when you yourself admit that the situation when DeCastro is healthy could be totally different.

He needs to start playing better period! And he needs to do it before DeCastro comes back or we wont be winning many more games!

oneforthetoe
10-07-2012, 06:55 PM
Why would one assume that DeCastro wouldn't be a holding machine when he comes back, considering that he has never started an NFL game and will be coming of over a month of no or little activity?

zulater
10-07-2012, 07:01 PM
Why would one assume that DeCastro wouldn't be a holding machine when he comes back, considering that he has never started an NFL game and will be coming of over a month of no or little activity?

The same reason we assume that Andrew Luck wont throw as many interceptions as Curtis Painter did last season. Pedigree!

oneforthetoe
10-07-2012, 07:25 PM
The same reason we assume that Andrew Luck wont throw as many interceptions as Curtis Painter did last season. Pedigree!

Yes, but you are asking a guy who struggled a bit in preseason to just hit the ground running. I'm a Decastro fan, but to expect much from him this season after the injury is pie in the sky.

zulater
10-07-2012, 07:26 PM
Yes, but you are asking a guy who struggled a bit in preseason to just hit the ground running. I'm a Decastro fan, but to expect much from him this season after the injury is pie in the sky.

He struggled in the first game of preseason. After that he was playing at a high level.

oneforthetoe
10-07-2012, 07:36 PM
He struggled in the first game of preseason. After that he was playing at a high level.

Not saying he doesn't have skills and a bright future, but he wasn't exactly a blocking machine. And, as I said, he will be coming off a serious injury. You can't just plug him into to the lineup and say have at it. Of course, with most fans, "the next guy up" is always the solution when the starter struggles, until the "next next" guy up becomes the solution for the struggles of said "next guy up."

zulater
10-07-2012, 07:46 PM
The Steelers wouldn't have used their special designation IR slot on DeCastro if they had no intent of him playing once he's back healthy. It's been widely assumed that when he's ready to go he'll be plugged into the starting line up at right guard in place of Foster. All I'm saying is; Not so fast my friend! Take this time now and have David study both guard spots and when and if he's ready to play, have him do so at the expense of the guard who is playing the worst. Right now it's not even close. Foster is playing at a very good clip, and Colon is really struggling.

oneforthetoe
10-07-2012, 07:52 PM
The Steelers wouldn't have used their special designation IR slot on DeCastro if they had no intent of him playing once he's back healthy. It's been widely assumed that when he's ready to go he'll be plugged into the starting line up at right guard in place of Foster. All I'm saying is; Not so fast my friend! Take this time now and have David study both guard spots and when and if he's ready to play, have him do so at the expense of the guard who is playing the worst. Right now it's not even close. Foster is playing at a very good clip, and Colon is really struggling.

I don't disagree with anything you said there. I'm just thinking it might be pretty late in the year by the time Decastro gets back into shape and I think you might not want to mess with the o'line chemistry unless Foster or Colon are really struggling.

GBMelBlount
10-07-2012, 09:26 PM
This is the NFL Colon.

You are not a rookie and your penalties are a huge problem.

Get your act together.

Count Steeler
10-07-2012, 09:33 PM
Kugler has to come through with Colon. Can't have that deficiency to overcome on every drive. Holding or motion are drive killers. Colon has to step it up. NOW!

katmandu
10-08-2012, 09:17 AM

When you see it all come together for Colon, it looks pretty good. He's a nasty run blocker at an angry 340 and I've seen progression. This game may have been a step back but I'm not going to jump ship yet.I think he played very well (minus the stupid penalties).

According to Ben's Post game interview, he thought Willy played great! Pancaking people all over the place!

Listen to what Ben has to say about Willy.

http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/Ben_Roethlisberger_Postgame_vs_Eagles/9d1a639e-07a8-46bf-a2e4-2c28d86c0319

zulater
10-08-2012, 04:02 PM
I think he played very well (minus the stupid penalties).

According to Ben's Post game interview, he thought Willy played great! Pancaking people all over the place!

Listen to what Ben has to say about Willy.

http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/Ben_Roethlisberger_Postgame_vs_Eagles/9d1a639e-07a8-46bf-a2e4-2c28d86c0319

Colon could give up 3 sacks, take 4 penatlties and dent Ben's Bentley while parking it and Ben would never say a bad word about Willie. They're best buds.

By the way, Mrs Lincoln thought the play was very nice other than that assassanation thing.

steeldevil
10-08-2012, 05:21 PM
Well, the coaches have a lot of time to make that assessment. DeCastro won't be back for awhile right? But Colon needs to straighten out thing before then. I'm sure he will.

He was a monster on running plays today though. Thats good.