PDA

View Full Version : Welcome back, Rashard!

fansince'76
10-07-2012, 03:05 PM
Awesome performance today! Nice to have some semblance of a running game again. :applaudit:

polamalubeast
10-07-2012, 03:07 PM
The running game is good with Mendenhall!

X-Terminator
10-07-2012, 03:10 PM
Can the "get rid of Mendy and start Redman" crowd please give it a rest? A healthy Mendy is HUGE for this offense.

JayC
10-07-2012, 03:13 PM
mendenhall looked better than i remember. glad to have him back, just wished i picked him up on my money fantasy football team 2 weeks ago

polamalubeast
10-07-2012, 03:13 PM
14 run,81 yards 1 TD for Mendenhall

13 run,41 yards for Redman

43Hitman
10-07-2012, 03:14 PM
It was good to have some consistency in the run game today, I just hope that going forward, it continues.

stillers4me
10-07-2012, 03:17 PM
Mendy always looks good when he feels his starting spot is threatened. He needs to be consistant.

tube517
10-07-2012, 03:17 PM

I like the shared workload. I don't want to see Mendy overloaded and tired by the end of the season

GBMelBlount
10-07-2012, 03:18 PM
It was good to have some consistency in the run game today, I just hope that going forward, it continues.

Exactly.

Good game Mendy. Let's keep it up.

fansince'76
10-07-2012, 03:19 PM
Mendy always looks good when he feels his starting spot is threatened. He needs to be consistant.

Don't see why he'd feel threatened - the running game has been absolutely pitiful without him up to now.

steelpride12
10-07-2012, 03:19 PM
The Steelers average 64 yards rushing as a team all season without Mendy and his first game back against a strong defense and he gains 81 on his own, damn happy to see him back!

stillers4me
10-07-2012, 03:21 PM
Don't see why he'd feel threatened - the running game has been absolutely pitiful without him up to now.

He had to prove he's better than the RB by committee. If he had stunk it up.... :noidea:

tube517
10-07-2012, 03:21 PM
The Steelers average 64 yards rushing as a team all season without Mendy and his first game back against a strong defense and he gains 81 on his own despite Willie Colon's merchandising deal for the makers of referee's flags, damn happy to see him back!

Fixed it for ya :chuckle:

slippy
10-07-2012, 03:38 PM
2 to 3 dump passes to mendenhall per game is what i wanted from arias but never got. rashard is great in space, why not take advantage? great to see haley sees this!

steelerdude15
10-07-2012, 03:38 PM
I'm glad to have him back and he had a really good game today. He didn't seem to have any fear in him whatsoever and other than that one fumble, he practically was flawless.

tube517
10-07-2012, 03:40 PM
2 to 3 dump passes to mendenhall per game is what i wanted from arias but never got. rashard is great in space, why not take advantage? great to see haley sees this!

Damn right, Skipp, er Slippy!

Steeldude
10-07-2012, 03:46 PM

That had more to do with the O-line than the RB.

polamalubeast
10-07-2012, 03:53 PM

X-Terminator
10-07-2012, 03:54 PM

Same guys up front this game. The difference is Mendenhall brings more to the table than Redman, which puts additional pressure on the defense.

stillers4me
10-07-2012, 03:55 PM
Same guys up front this game. The difference is Mendenhall brings more to the table than Redman, which puts additional pressure on the defense.

And he dances better.

stillers4me
10-07-2012, 03:56 PM
Aditi Kinkhabwala‏@AKinkhabwalaRoethlisberger jokes he's protesting Mendenhall's 13yd TD being ruled a lateral: "We're in Pittsburgh, we call it a run."

Psycho Ward 86
10-07-2012, 04:07 PM
rashard being back is a nice boost for the offense for sure and he made some nice plays on his own today, but the o-line did much better today, and they were playing against a wide-9 alignment which opens up running lanes more easily. Pouncey and Colon especially looked good in the run game (minus Colon's penalties)

Steeldude
10-07-2012, 04:10 PM
Same guys up front this game.

Then why were there no holes in the first 3 games?

86WARD
10-07-2012, 04:14 PM
The Steelers average 64 yards rushing as a team all season without Mendy and his first game back against a strong defense and he gains 81 on his own, damn happy to see him back!

This! Scared me with the phantom strip though...lol.

X-Terminator
10-07-2012, 04:27 PM
Then why were there no holes in the first 3 games?

Partially their own doing...partially the opposing defense not respecting the guys in the backfield beyond running the football. Mendenhall's versatility and threat in the passing game makes him tougher to contain. Not only that, his speed allows him to hit the holes faster than Redman ever will and opens up the off-tackle runs. I'll give the OL credit for playing a better game, but I will not ignore how important Mendenhall is to this offense, particularly knowing Haley's tendencies as OC.

Austin87
10-07-2012, 06:08 PM
Glad Mendy's back!

zulater
10-07-2012, 07:25 PM
Todd Haley's offense will help Mendy and Heath Miller have great years.

Polamalu Princess
10-07-2012, 07:41 PM
Ugly, but we got it done!!! WTG!!!

steelreserve
10-07-2012, 08:24 PM

Well, he needed to prove he hadn't lost a step coming off that injury. Which he not only did, but also looked better than he did all last year. He was back to running the way that made him effective in 2009-10, which was a huge sight for sore eyes.

Count Steeler
10-07-2012, 08:59 PM

X 1000. I reserve judgment until his 3rd game.

polamalubeast
10-09-2012, 03:14 PM
Rashard Mendenhall averaged 2.6 rush yds before 1st contact in Week 5. Other Steelers RBs have averaged 0.8 rush yds before contact in 2012.

polamalubeast
10-09-2012, 03:15 PM
Rashard Mendenhall averaged 2.6 rush yds before 1st contact in Week 5. Other Steelers RBs have averaged 0.8 rush yds before contact in 2012.

https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/status/255762745067196417

Count Steeler
10-09-2012, 03:31 PM

So is that because of his speed, or did the OLine improve it's play, or does Mendy have a better grasp of Rosetta Stone than the other backs?

polamalubeast
10-09-2012, 03:34 PM
Mendenhall >>>> The other RB

This is easy to blame the o-line when the running game sucks....

Count Steeler
10-09-2012, 04:24 PM
Mendenhall >>>> The other RB

This is easy to blame the o-line when the running game sucks....

There are way too many dynamics on the football field to give credit to 1 guy making that big of a difference in the running game and not consider other facets of the team. Like I've said elsewhere, Mendy usually has a strong game when threatened or when coming in fresh. I will wait to see how he plays in his third game to see his real impact.

Yes, it is nice to have Mendy back, but I also give some credit to the O Line against a very good D Line team. Maybe he spawned new hope in the OLine that spurred them on to a good performance yesterday.

Psycho Ward 86
10-09-2012, 04:58 PM
There are way too many dynamics on the football field to give credit to 1 guy making that big of a difference in the running game and not consider other facets of the team. Like I've said elsewhere, Mendy usually has a strong game when threatened or when coming in fresh. I will wait to see how he plays in his third game to see his real impact.

Yes, it is nice to have Mendy back, but I also give some credit to the O Line against a very good D Line team. Maybe he spawned new hope in the OLine that spurred them on to a good performance yesterday.

not to mention he played against a wide-9 defensive alignment which opens up running lanes really nicely up the A and B gaps

polamalubeast
10-09-2012, 05:01 PM
not to mention he played against a wide-9 defensive alignment which opens up running lanes really nicely up the A and B gaps

The Jets and the raiders are terrible against the run, but the Steelers have not been able to run the ball well against his two teams

GBMelBlount
10-09-2012, 05:11 PM
There are way too many dynamics on the football field to give credit to 1 guy...

Exactly.

Mendy looked great in his first game but it is just one game with a lot of factors.

If he continues to play like this nobody will be happier than me.

That touchdown was just crazy.

steeldawg
10-09-2012, 05:21 PM
Is it really a secret that mendy is just a much better back than anyone else on our roster? I was not shocked our run game improved when he returned.

Psycho Ward 86
10-09-2012, 05:24 PM
The Jets and the raiders are terrible against the run, but the Steelers have not been able to run the ball well against his two teams

i said the wide-9, which the jets and raiders dont run

polamalubeast
10-09-2012, 05:32 PM
i said the wide-9, which the jets and raiders dont run

I understand, but the eagles are not bad against the run this year

The Jets and the raiders are horrible but the Steelers have not been able to run the ball

Mendenhall's return is huge for the steelers

Count Steeler
10-09-2012, 05:39 PM
Is it really a secret that mendy is just a much better back than anyone else on our roster? I was not shocked our run game improved when he returned.

Fact 1: Mendy can be spectacular

Fact 2: Mendy has been benched at least twice in his career. Tomlin was sending him a message.

Fact 3: Mendy runs like hell after being benched AND he has something to prove.

Fact 4: Mendy has NOT performed game in, game out.

If you are going to blame the OLine when Mendy gets bottled up, then you have to give credit to the OLine when Mendy can run.

I am ecstatic that Mendy had a good game, but given his history, I will wait at least until his third game to see if he has come of age.

polamalubeast
10-09-2012, 05:46 PM
The last time Mendenhall was benched, it was the week 3 in 2009

Last year, the game was runnig good with a 4.4 YPC....After 3 games this year, it was a dreadful 2.6 YPC

I am disappointed to see RB as Willie Parker and Mendenhall very underrated in Pittsburgh

polamalubeast
10-09-2012, 05:47 PM

Last year, the running game was good with a 4.4 YPC....After 3 games this year, it was a dreadful 2.6 YPC

I am disappointed to see RB as Willie Parker and Mendenhall very underrated in Pittsburgh

Count Steeler
10-09-2012, 05:48 PM

Last year, the game was runnig good with a 4.4 YPC....After 3 games this year, it was a dreadful 2.6 YPC

I think it was also Tennessee last year. His "injury" lasted all of 1 game.

Psycho Ward 86
10-09-2012, 07:33 PM
if anyone thought our run game was good last year you are kidding yourselves.

We were #1 in short yardage situations though which was nice. But that was because Redman excelled in that part time role.

steeldawg
10-10-2012, 06:03 AM
Fact 1: Mendy can be spectacular

Fact 2: Mendy has been benched at least twice in his career. Tomlin was sending him a message.

Fact 3: Mendy runs like hell after being benched AND he has something to prove.

Fact 4: Mendy has NOT performed game in, game out.

If you are going to blame the OLine when Mendy gets bottled up, then you have to give credit to the OLine when Mendy can run.

I am ecstatic that Mendy had a good game, but given his history, I will wait at least until his third game to see if he has come of age.

FACT: The guy averages over 1000yds almost 10tds and over 4 yds a carry per season with a bad o-line and in an offense built for passing the ball.

suitanim
10-10-2012, 10:55 AM
So, um, like....which is it? Mendy is okay right now because he lost weight, or Mendy is okay right now because he's trying, but normally doesn't? And, errrr...wouldn't the coaches pick up on something so obvious that the fans do if he WAS sandbagging it?

Why does it always have to be a conspiracy theory?

polamalubeast
10-10-2012, 10:58 AM

We were #1 in short yardage situations though which was nice. But that was because Redman excelled in that part time role.

last year,the steelers had 4.4 YPC....not bad

fansince'76
10-10-2012, 11:00 AM

4.4 YPC in 2011 vs 2.6 YPC (and dead last in the league) through 3 games in 2012, with all 3 games being against teams that rank in the bottom third of the league in run defense.

If anyone thinks our running game is somehow better without Mendenhall, or still thinks Redman is the better RB, they're smoking crack.

zulater
10-10-2012, 01:03 PM
So, um, like....which is it? Mendy is okay right now because he lost weight, or Mendy is okay right now because he's trying, but normally doesn't? And, errrr...wouldn't the coaches pick up on something so obvious that the fans do if he WAS sandbagging it?

Why does it always have to be a conspiracy theory?

So er um, Mendenhall had a subpar season last year by every measurable means we use to rank running backs. Why? Who knows, there could be a lot of reasons we have no way of knowing.

And players often perform better in contract years in every single sport that pays player's salaries.

Conspiracy? No. Just human nature.

Going back to when we drafted Mendy I've loved him. Thought he was really good in 2009. Thought he was even better in 2010. And I've always thought he's been underutilized in our offense as a pass receiver.

But last year he had a down year.

It's only one game in, but it was a very good game, and we all hope that we see more games just like it. Obviously Mendenhall at his best is far and away the Steelers best back.

But don't sell Redman short. The guy has a use on this team, and has proven himslef to be an able short yardage back.

No matter how good Mendenhall is, you need more backs than one in the NFL if you want to stay consistently good.

X-Terminator
10-10-2012, 03:46 PM
I don't think anyone is saying that Redman is useless, only that he is not an every down back and is not as good overall as Mendy is. That is a fact.

I've said before that Mendy gets no love from Steelers fans because they are in love with the "fat back." It can't be anything else.

GodfatherofSoul
10-10-2012, 04:09 PM
I don't think anyone is saying that Redman is useless, only that he is not an every down back and is not as good overall as Mendy is. That is a fact.

I've said before that Mendy gets no love from Steelers fans because they are in love with the "fat back." It can't be anything else.

Steelers fans are chubby chasers? Who knew!

steelers_switzerland
10-10-2012, 06:28 PM
some "fans" need to bash players for some bad games, a mistake or two, and tend to forget what they did for the team. it's natural in sports that you have down games, every player has, even down years. some users just like to be negative, overcriticize almost each and every player. mendy had a bad year, mike some bad games. so had keisel, troy, ben, pouncey, brown... so what? they are bad players now? not worth their contracts? come on

zulater
10-10-2012, 08:26 PM
some "fans" need to bash players for some bad games, a mistake or two, and tend to forget what they did for the team. it's natural in sports that you have down games, every player has, even down years. some users just like to be negative, overcriticize almost each and every player. mendy had a bad year, mike some bad games. so had keisel, troy, ben, pouncey, brown... so what? they are bad players now? not worth their contracts? come on

So we should wax poetic no matter how they perform?

I comment on what I see, the good and the bad. And I offer my perspective accordingly.

We all hope Rashard continues on like he's started this season. I'm quite optimistic he will. That's not to say he'll be great every game. But I think he'll be a player our opponents will always have to account for, which means when he's not putting up great stats others may have the opportunity.

The only thing anyone hates is when a player looks to be sulking, dogging it, or doesn't appear to have his head in the game. Or if a player is totally overmatched or incapable. In the latter cases we usually pin the blame on the coaches or front office.

Hope that clarifies things for you.

tube517
10-10-2012, 08:39 PM
4.4 YPC in 2011 vs 2.6 YPC (and dead last in the league) through 3 games in 2012, with all 3 games being against teams that rank in the bottom third of the league in run defense.

If anyone thinks our running game is somehow better without Mendenhall, or still thinks Redman is the better RB, they're smoking crack.

Tyrone Biggums likes Redman. :chuckle:

http://images3.makefive.com/images/entertainment/comedy/best-american-comedian/dave-chappelle-7.jpg

steelreserve
10-11-2012, 12:46 AM

I'm smoking crack, and I still don't think Redman is better.