PDA

View Full Version : 2012-13 Off-season Thread

steelerdude15
10-06-2012, 12:44 AM
Someone had to start it. :chuckle: Like always, this will be the place for the off-season stuff.

X-Terminator
10-06-2012, 03:18 PM
I doubt there will be much going on until after the World Series. But I did not like one bit that everyone in the FO was brought back after a 2nd straight historic collapse. At the very least, Hurdle and his staff should have been fired, though I wouldn't have minded seeing Huntington shown the door as well. At any rate, they have some guys they will want to lock up (Walker, Jones, Hanrahan) and they should be in the market for upgrades at C and SS, as well as another starting pitcher to fit in between A.J. and Wandy. The bullpen needs some tweaking, but that can be done in-house with promotions and cuts.

steelerdude15
10-28-2012, 10:52 PM
Pirates claim pitcher, catcher

The Pirates on Thursday began their offseason roster sculpting by claiming two minor leaguers, pitcher Chad Beck and catcher Ali Solis, off waivers.

The moves came as owner Bob Nutting continued his personal review of the front office and its scouting, training and player acquisition methods. Nutting, who is attending the World Series in San Francisco, was not available for comment.

Nutting likely will wrap up his evaluations in the next few days. If Nutting opts to replace any of his executives, the Pirates must move quickly once the Series is over, as deadlines loom in November for protecting prospects from the Rule 5 draft and tendering offers to abitration-eligible players.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/2841160-85/beck-nutting-huntington-catcher-pirates-san-series-solis-thursday-barajas#ixzz2AelvmMwE

steelerdude15
10-29-2012, 10:21 PM
MLB notebook: McCutchen finalist for Gold Glove Award

Andrew McCutchen hopes to become the seventh Pirates outfielder to win a Gold Glove Award when the winners are announced at 9 p.m. Tuesday.

Drew Stubbs of the Cincinnati Reds and Michael Bourn of the Atlanta Braves are the other National League finalists at center field.

McCutchen, who also is a top candidate for the NL MVP Award, made just one error and had a .997 fielding percentage this season.

Roberto Clemente won a Gold Glove in 12 straight seasons from 1961-72. Andy Van Slyke won it five times. Barry Bonds and Dave Parker won it three times apiece. The club’s most recent winner was Nate McLouth, who won in 2008.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/2859942-85/free-mccutchen-pirates-season-agent-award-million-phillies-series-shortstop#ixzz2AkUqByeT

I hope Cutch gets it!

X-Terminator
10-29-2012, 11:26 PM
Cutch should win it.

BTW, Cheapskate Bob is supposed to be finished with his "evaluations" of the team's front office. Let's see if he has the balls to fire anybody. I'm not holding my breath.

steelerdude15
10-31-2012, 03:08 PM
Pirates officially decline Barajas, exercise option for Alvarez

The Pirates on Wednesday officially declined Rod Barajas' 2013 contract option, making the catcher a free agent.

Barajas had a $3.5 million option for 2013 with no buyout. The Pirates also exercised Pedro Alvarez's option for next season, worth $700,000.

The Pirates will now look for a catcher to play alongside Michael McKenry. They could bring Barajas back for a lower salary and Clint Hurdle has expressed interest in doing so, but the 37-year-old catcher said he would consider playing closer to home. His wife and seven children live in San Diego.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/pirates/pirates-officially-decline-barajas-exercise-option-for-alvarez-659968/#ixzz2AuQp3amP

Pirates name Jay Bell as new hitting coach

The Pirates announced today that they hired former shortstop Jay Bell as their hitting coach, replacing Gregg Ritchie. They also promoted Rick Sofield to first base coach and added Dave Jauss to the coaching staff.

Bell will attempt to improve an offense that ranked 14th out of 16 National League teams in batting average and on-base percentage in 2012 and suffered a historic dry spell to start the season.

Bell, 46, played 18 major league seasons, including eight with the Pirates. He still holds the Pirates' record for sacrifice bunts in a season. He is currently coaching the New Zealand national team in its quest to qualify for the World Baseball Classic.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/pirates/pirates-name-jay-bell-as-new-hitting-coach-659961/#ixzz2AuR0hnSQ

X-Terminator
10-31-2012, 03:14 PM
If anything, Bell will improve the team's bunting prowess, which should work wonders for Starling Marte. As for everything else...well, we'll see. It's an interesting hire, I'll say that.

Good that they completely cut ties with Barajas. Just a horrible signing in every aspect. It would be nice if they found a younger catcher or at least one that can hit above the Mendoza line.

Also, Cutch did win the Gold Glove, so congrats to him!

steelpride12
10-31-2012, 05:13 PM
Congrats to Cutch on the Golden Glove, much deserved.

I'm happy to see Bell back and helping the team out, but we don't need a hitting coach, we need hitters. There is no power bats on this team, def. in the middle of the line up!

steelerdude15
11-09-2012, 07:53 PM
Veteran scout Livesey added to Pirates staff

A new front office executive will bring a lot of experience and a different philosophy to the Pirates' scouting and player development systems.

Longtime scout and baseball executive Bill Livesey will join the baseball operations staff as senior adviser to general manager Neal Huntington, the team announced Thursday. The Pirates hired Livesey on Nov. 1.

Livesey, 72, has spent parts of five decades in the industry -- most of his years with the New York Yankees.

"He was someone who I wanted to connect with and learn from every time we're in the same ballpark," Huntington said.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/pirates/veteran-scout-livesey-added-to-pirates-staff-661314/#ixzz2BmRl4otm

I like this pick up and I think it will help the team out. He has developed some great players and maybe he could do that for some of our prospects.

McCutchen wins Silver Slugger

Andrew McCutchen's trophy case grows more crowded by the week.

The star center fielder was honored with a Silver Slugger award Thursday becoming the first Pirates since Jack Wilson in 2004 and the first outfielder since Barry Bonds and Andy Van Slyke won the award in 1992.

McCutchen also won a Gold Glove last week and becomes the fourth Pirates player to win the Silver Slugger and Gold Glove in the same season.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/pirates/mccutchen-wins-silver-slugger-661275/#ixzz2BmSJvjJo

Congrats Cutch!

X-Terminator
11-11-2012, 04:35 PM
Livesey is a good hire, but Kyle Stark is still with the organization. As long as that brain-dead idjit is assistant GM and Huntingturd's #2, I don't anticipate the stupid military-style training to end any time soon.

steelerdude15
11-15-2012, 11:19 AM
Superscout Leuzinger leaves Pirates organization

Mike Leuzinger, the superscout who brought top outfielder prospect Josh Bell into the Pirates’ system, turned down a contract renewal offer and left the organization.

“It was really just time to move on,” Leuzinger said by phone from his home in Canton, Texas. “It’s something I’ve been thinking about for a year or so.”

Leuzinger, 45, was the Pirates’ area supervisor for North Texas and Oklahoma. He joined the club in 2004 after working 12 years for the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Among the players he has scouted and signed were Matt Kemp, Tony Watson, Duke Welker and Andy LaRoche. In 2011, the Pirates lured Bell away from a college scholarship with a $5 million bonus, adding a premier slugger to their minor league system.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/2943093-85/pirates-leuzinger-joe-losing-area-bell-greg-move-superscout-system#ixzz2CJRzmwEo

steelerdude15
11-22-2012, 03:10 PM
Pirates catcher Sanchez, 4 others added to 40-man roster

The Pirates protected Tony Sanchez, their 2009 first-round draft pick, and four other minor leaguers from the Rule 5 draft Tuesday by adding them to the 40-man roster.

Sanchez and fellow catcher Ramon Cabrera and right-handed pitchers Vic Black, Phil Irwin and Hunter Strickland were added to the 40-man roster, which now includes 39 players.

Tuesday was the deadline for teams to protect players from the Dec. 6 Rule 5 draft, which allows teams to draft eligible minor league players. The five players the Pirates protected all were eligible for the draft for the first time.

The Pirates can modify the 40-man roster before the Rule 5 draft, but only those players added by today will be protected.

General manager Neal Huntington said Sanchez, 24, made "quality strides" last season both at and behind the plate. But he stopped short of saying Sanchez is ready to compete for a spot on the 25-man roster come spring training.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/pirates/pirates-catcher-sanchez-4-others-added-to-40-man-roster-663018/#ixzz2CzJrNoPq

steelerdude15
11-28-2012, 10:26 AM
Pittsburgh Pirates ‏@Pirates

The #Pirates have acquired RHP Zach Stewart from the #RedSox in exchange for a player to be named later

#Pirates also acquired RHP Vin Mazzaro & 1B Clint Robinson from the #Royals in exchange for minor league pitchers Luis Rico & Luis Santos

Robinson hit .292 (142-for-487) w/ 37 doubles, 13 HRs, 67 RBI and 70 runs scored in 131 gms last year for AAA Omaha

In 2012 Mazzaro went 2-2 w/ a 3.63 ERA & 5 saves in 22 gms w/ AAA Omaha & 4-3 w/a 5.73 ERA in 18 apps w/the #Royals

steelerdude15
12-16-2012, 12:43 AM
Pirates notebook: Walker wants long-term deal

Neil Walker has reached the first of his four years of arbitration eligibility, a period when his salary can rapidly escalate. Yet the second baseman said he‘s open to working out a long-term contract with the Pirates.

“This is the city I want to be in,” Walker said Friday at the annual Hot Stove Luncheon that kicks off PirateFest. “I‘m excited about my first year of arbitration, (but) I can‘t really speak too much more on that. I hope to be a Pirate for a long, long time. We‘ll see how it goes. I know if I take care of myself and stay healthy, everything will work out.”

If he goes through the arbitration process, Walker can expect his salary to rise to around $3 million next season. He made $500,000 this year.

The Pirates approached Walker about a multi-year deal in 2011, but talks broke down and haven‘t been reopened.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/3112295-85/pirates-huntington-season#ixzz2FC7L5d00

Grilli ‘couldn’t be happier’ to be back with Pirates

After eight organizations, 14 professional seasons and several potholes and detours along the way, Jason Grilli‘s long journey took him back to where he said he always wanted to be.

“I‘m pretty ecstatic,” the 36-year-old right-hander said Wednesday at PNC Park after the Pirates officially announced his return to the club.

No financial terms were revealed, but the Tribune-Review reported Monday his two-year deal is worth $6.75 million. It was a bonanza for a free agent relief pitcher who several times has been traded, sold and released, recovered from two significant elbow injuries and came back from a knee injury that nearly ended his career and forced him to miss the 2010 season.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/3124658-85/grilli-pirates-hanrahan#ixzz2FC7jJV71

Sanchez healthy again

Pirates manager Clint Hurdle described Gaby Sanchez as “in a good place physically.” He was discussing the health of his first baseman, but there is another meaning to that.

Sanchez, who joined the Pirates at the July trade deadline, is finally sound after dealing with knee problems and eventual surgery that affected his hitting since the middle of the 2011 season while playing for the Marlins.

Even though it meant leaving south Florida, where he spent his entire life, the 29-year-old Sanchez agreed he ended up in a better location, far removed from the distracting, circus atmosphere that contributed to the Marlins‘ 2012 implosion.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/3112318-85/sanchez-pirates-hitting#ixzz2FC8Mlmyq

steelerdude15
12-21-2012, 10:37 AM
Healthy again, Pirates' Walker ready to return

It was a tough final two months for the Pirates and, in particular, second baseman Neil Walker. Walker suffered a dislocated finger and then injured his back. He was hurting. But more painful, he said, was the anguish of watching helplessly as his club‘s once-promising season again melted away.

“To go from an everyday player and to contribute both in the clubhouse and on the field, to have to sit and watch for the entire last month when we were playing meaningful baseball, there was nobody more frustrated than I was,” Walker said recently at PirateFest.

On Aug. 15, as the Pirates‘ second-half skid was unfolding, Mark Ellis of the Dodgers slid hard into second base in the first inning and toppled Walker, who landed on his right hand. His pinky bent out of shape, Walker left the game and also missed the next three. Later in the month, with the losses piling up, a herniated disc sidelined Walker for 15 games. He tried to come back but had trouble running and moving in the field. The club shut him down in late September.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/3112604-74/walker-pirates-season#ixzz2FhmUICFm

X-Terminator
12-21-2012, 12:24 PM
They also signed crap pitcher Francisco Liriano to a way, way too expensive 2-year, $14 million contract today: http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121221&content_id=40771364&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Great. Another guy with horrible stats this FO thinks might be better in the NL than the AL. I seriously hope this and all of their other moves fail hard next season, so that we can FINALLY be rid of that idiot GM and drunken idiot President.

steelerdude15
12-22-2012, 12:29 AM
They also signed crap pitcher Francisco Liriano to a way, way too expensive 2-year, $14 million contract today: http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121221&content_id=40771364&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Great. Another guy with horrible stats this FO thinks might be better in the NL than the AL. I seriously hope this and all of their other moves fail hard next season, so that we can FINALLY be rid of that idiot GM and drunken idiot President.

Yeah, this signing really has me scratching my head. Yet again, it doesn't surprise me.

steelpride12
01-11-2013, 10:15 AM
On a side note Cutch is in a voting race to be on the cover of MLB13's cover and he is winning. About 9 hours left to vote and it would honestly be fantastic to see a Pirate make the cover. #MLB13Cutch