PDA

View Full Version : Week Three Thoughts: Steelers vs Raiders

Chidi29
10-05-2012, 10:25 PM
Sorry this is as late as it is guys. Game has been watched for a few days now but I just haven't had any time to type it up. Very busy at school, and I'll have a 14 hour "work day" with the football/soccer homecoming games tomorrow.

"Hi Alex,
Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to write such a great article!
(((Hugs)))
Marriane
(HTG)"

First Half

- Ben showing his intelligence on incompletetion to Heath that was originally ruled a catch on the second play of the game. Motion Will Johnson from the backfield to outside the numbers to take Huff off the #'s (where Heath will be coming down the seam). Oakland tips their hand that its zone when #52 widens outside Heath (outside leverage). Means zone under and that he has the flat, telling Ben the seam is open. Pictures of pre-snap pre/post motion of Will Johnson and then end zone view of OLB showing flat coverage.

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg608/Chidi2929/Heath_presnap.png

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg608/Chidi2929/Heath_presnap2.png

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg608/Chidi2929/Heath_presnap3.png

- McFadden TD. Well blocked ZBS. Could have driven a truck through that lane. Safety Mundy in a bad spot, gets caught flat-flooted, doesn't have much of a chance vs McFadden at full speed. Tough spot for him.

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg608/Chidi2929/McFadden_TD.png

- Beachum actually came into the game in the first quarter as part of an unbalanced line.

- Quick screen (smoke screen) to Brown vs Huff at CB (foreign territory for him). Force him to make the tackle in open field from a dead stop. Brown picks up 15.

- Gilbert originally hurt his groin at 6:00

- Heath's second touchdown. Playaction sucks up the LB, Heath on inside stem vs safety Branch, becomes pitch/catch.

- Woodley sack. 3rd and 13 vs amoeba defense. Gets sack despite us rushing five vs Raiders keeping in six + block/release.

- Many thought we played conservatively throughout the game, but we definitely tried to take a lot of shots deep vs the Raiders' porous secondary. Had a lot of 7 step drops, playaction, etc.

- Let's not forget how critical Will Johnson's penalty on Brown's PR for TD may have been. Chance to go up 21-7 in the second.

- Cortez and Keenan Lewis were jammers.

- Know Redman nor Dwyer have had a lot of success this season but at least Redman hasn't put it on the ground. Advantage #33.

- Really nice job by Ryan Clark on play before two minute warning. Swing to Goodson and Clark funneled him back inside. Didn't make the tackle but made the play.

- Slant/flat combo on Heyward-Bey TD on the first play after the two minute warning. Mundy gets caught and has to come over the top. The Raiders even motion their RB to shift Clark over a yard away from throw just to make sure he can't make a play on the wheel.

Second Half

- Gilbert hurt himself mid-way through first and played through visible pain in his groin until replaced by Beachum to start half. Beachum false starts on his first snap. And all things considered, Gilbert surprisngly did ok. Wasn't pretty but he kept Ben clean. Did hurt to have him trying to get out in space on a screen to Dwyer. Simply could not move quick enough.

- Beachum played the first three snaps of the second half and then Gilbert came in and managed to finish out the game.

- Raiders dropped 8 on Wallace's touchdown but that also gave Ben plenty of time to find Wallace wide open in the back of the end zone.

- Poor day for the Steelers' return teams. 2 penalties on punt returns and allowed a 51 yard KR.

- One reason why the linebackers dropped as much as they did (still not sure how accurate of a statement that really is) is because of the Raiders' backs and their threat out of the backfield as Tomlin talked about in his Tuesday presser prior to the game. Lots of speed with McFadden, Goodson, and even Taiwan Jones.

- Oddly enough on McFadden's TD that was reversed, LeBeau had the nickel package in (2-4-5) vs a 21 personnel (2 RBs, 1 TE) grouping for Oakland. No Hampton nor McClendon in the game.

- Antonio Brown TD. Safeties come up late on a blitz. Looked like run, Ben make quick check just to Brown (lineman, back still expected run), gets AB one-on-one with corner. Like those odds. Picture of the safties up and the 1v1 coverage.

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg608/Chidi2929/Brown_TD.png

- Woodley bullrushed the RT Smith so bad once that he pushed him into and knocked over Carson Palmer.

- Ike appeared to slip/get pushed on Moore's TD. Gave Moore just enough separation.

- AB's fumble he lost. So unfortunate because everything else was great. Ben and AB both read the Cover 3 look after showing a two deep shell pre-snap (Raiders disguise their coverages very well, zone blitz by dropping DL into coverage, they throw a lot at you). and Brown correctly runs a dig route (cross safeties face vs single high, split them on post vs Cover 2). Catch made, big pick up, Brown unfortunately can't hang on.

- Example of how stopping the run vs zone blocking concepts can be. Foote lines up over C initially but then at the last second, shifts to being over G. Wisnewski is now uncovered and can double-team Hamp. Foote gets caught up in the wash and a giant running lane opens up. Could have gone for a huge gain (only picked up 5). ZBS is all about reacting to what the defense does. Pictures to illustrate this.

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg608/Chidi2929/Foote1-1.png

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg608/Chidi2929/Foote2-1.png

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg608/Chidi2929/Foote3-1.png

- Nice ankle tackle by Timmons on 3/9 to stop Moore, force OAK to settle for then game-tying FG.

- Manny Sanders on 4th and 1 conversion from out 29. Not huge but kinda odd.

- Pouncey and Colon had key blocks on that play. Picture.

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg608/Chidi2929/Pouncey_Colon.png

- Coverage on every single pass play of Raiders' final drive.

1/10. Cover 3, amoeba defense. Rush 6. Corners off. Pass incomplete.

2/10. Cover 2 man, 5 man rush. Corners up. Incomplete.

3/10. Cover 2 man, 5 man rush. Corners up. Myers gets inside stem on Timmons. 24 yard gain.

1/10. Cover 1. Corners up. 5 man rush (Mundy blitzes). 8 yard curl to the WR.

2/2. Cover 1. Corners up. Palmer checks out of run, swing pas to Reece. 8 yard gain.

1/10. Cover 1. Corners up. 6 man rush, including Clark blitz. Man coverage. Hagan wide open on drive route. Not sure how he got lost. Looks like man all around so would he be Taylor's guy? He backpedals even when Hagan breaks off his route but then starts coming across the field like he is on man coverage. Very weird, tough to explain. Have a pre-snap picture and then a half decent one of Ike at the top of the picture starting to run across the field.

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg608/Chidi2929/Ike1.png

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg608/Chidi2929/Ike2.png

- I'll tell you one player that is struggling vs the run, and it's one most people won't think of. Brett Keisel has had a rough start to the season. He's been pushed around and washed out all season long, especially against Oakland. Denver did the same. Both are ZBS. The Eagles also run it. So X Factor there, he has to have a strong game.

- Will Johnson plays nearly every facet of special teams. Extremely versatile player.

- Todd Haley talked about that Pouncey got one of the highest grades he's ever given out after this game. And I definitely agree. He was solo on either Kelly or Seymour for a good chunk of the game and did a great job.

Sacks

- 1st and 10, 3:09 left in the 4th. Shotgun, 11 personnel. 6 blockers vs 4 rushing. Ugly all around. Stunt between the tackles, kinda picked up but Pouncey has trouble recovering after the slanting DT runs into him and knocks him off balanced. Starks bullrushed, Gilbert hobbling after the play.

Sack Counter (Game)

Maurkice Pouncey: .5
Max Starks: .5

Sack Counter (Season)

Maurkice Pouncey: 1.5
Max Starks: 1.5
Willie Colon: 1
Mike Adams: 1
Doug Legursky: 1
Coverage: 1

Formations

FB: 12
Pony: 0
Empty: 7

tube517
10-05-2012, 10:32 PM
Always always love to read your reports, Chidi. BSPN or NFLN has nothing on you, man.

Chidi29
10-05-2012, 10:34 PM
Thanks tube!

Chidi29
10-05-2012, 10:38 PM
And just so I'm clear, this talk about LeBeau being passive and soft couldn't be farther from the truth.

fansince'76
10-06-2012, 12:48 AM
And just so I'm clear, this talk about LeBeau being passive and soft couldn't be farther from the truth.

You're just a "lemming." :chuckle:

Steeldude
10-06-2012, 06:20 AM

Then why has Lebeau admitted it?

Chidi29
10-06-2012, 08:19 AM
Then why has Lebeau admitted it?

What exactly did he say?

And he's the coach. He'll take the fall before he lets his players do.

Watch the tape. It tells the story. It can't lie.

suitanim
10-06-2012, 09:12 AM
Nice work as usual Chidi!

Austin87
10-06-2012, 09:14 AM
Good read as always. Much appreciated.

Edman
10-06-2012, 02:26 PM

Formations =/= Scheme. You can play Corners Up and still be passive. You can play your corners back and still have them play aggressive. You can be a power-running, clock control offense without lining up burly TE's and a fullback every play. What Lebeau was trying to do was confuse (Not Force) the Raiders into mishaps and they didn't bite, instead they bit him.

Same Powerhouse Oakland Offense scored 6 points the following week against Denver. There is no excuse. Lebeau got pants'd badly by the Raiders. Harrison brought up an interesting point that the other players were trying too much and not following their assignments. A result of Lebeau not adjusting his defense for the absence of two battered key players that need to be healthy and on the field to make it work. Troy and Harrison are playing this week, and they'll be a factor, probably making Lebeau look like a genius this week, but let's see how good he adjusts without them, and his results are mixed at best. Blowing two 10-point leads and giving up 34 points is inexcusable, I don't care who is or isn't out there.

I'm sure some will be playing the "They didn't execute" card like people did for Airhead Arians and the Offense's misgivings when he was here, but the hardest question to ask is WHY are the players not executing. That falls on coaching.

silver & black
10-06-2012, 04:21 PM
My thought: I think I'd like to thank the Steelers for the one win the Raiders will get this season. I'm not sure how it happened, but at least we won't go 0 fer...lol.

Steeldude
10-06-2012, 09:53 PM
What exactly did he say?

And he's the coach. He'll take the fall before he lets his players do.

Watch the tape. It tells the story. It can't lie.

That with Polamlau out he plays a passive defense. I don't think he meant he plays passive on every down of every game. It's not as bad as it was the year Polamalu went down.

On one photo you say they rushed 6. Are you sure the linemen rushed? Usually they stay put and play patty-cake. Wouldn't that mean 3 rushed?

If he isn't playing passive then what is the problem, in your opinion? Talent? Poor coaching? The football intelligence of the players is sub-par? Predictability?

Chidi29
10-07-2012, 10:57 AM
That with Polamlau out he plays a passive defense. I don't think he meant he plays passive on every down of every game. It's not as bad as it was the year Polamalu went down.

On one photo you say they rushed 6. Are you sure the linemen rushed? Usually they stay put and play patty-cake. Wouldn't that mean 3 rushed?

If he isn't playing passive then what is the problem, in your opinion? Talent? Poor coaching? The football intelligence of the players is sub-par? Predictability?

Can you point out the exact quote of LeBeau regarding that?

No, you count the DL too (obviously). They still are occupying the blocker, even if they're not getting pressure (which is why you blitz).

Execution has been an issue so far. And part of it is good schemes by the opposing offenses, too. Their coaches are getting paid too.

Chidi29
10-07-2012, 10:59 AM
Formations =/= Scheme. You can play Corners Up and still be passive. You can play your corners back and still have them play aggressive. You can be a power-running, clock control offense without lining up burly TE's and a fullback every play. What Lebeau was trying to do was confuse (Not Force) the Raiders into mishaps and they didn't bite, instead they bit him.

Same Powerhouse Oakland Offense scored 6 points the following week against Denver. There is no excuse. Lebeau got pants'd badly by the Raiders. Harrison brought up an interesting point that the other players were trying too much and not following their assignments. A result of Lebeau not adjusting his defense for the absence of two battered key players that need to be healthy and on the field to make it work. Troy and Harrison are playing this week, and they'll be a factor, probably making Lebeau look like a genius this week, but let's see how good he adjusts without them, and his results are mixed at best. Blowing two 10-point leads and giving up 34 points is inexcusable, I don't care who is or isn't out there.

I'm sure some will be playing the "They didn't execute" card like people did for Airhead Arians and the Offense's misgivings when he was here, but the hardest question to ask is WHY are the players not executing. That falls on coaching.

Please define the difference between "confuse" and "force" an offense into making mistakes. Schematically, what are the differences?

And what would constitute as an aggressive defense if that doesn't count? What more do you want?

zulater
10-07-2012, 11:01 AM
Can you point out the exact quote of LeBeau regarding that?

No, you count the DL too (obviously). They still are occupying the blocker, even if they're not getting pressure (which is why you blitz).

Execution has been an issue so far. And part of it is good schemes by the opposing offenses, too. Their coaches are getting paid too.

Apparently the Raiders offensive coaches only get paid when they play the Steelers. :heh:

Chidi29
10-07-2012, 11:04 AM
Apparently the Raiders offensive coaches only get paid when they play the Steelers. :heh:

We really can't speak to what is specifically happening in other games because we're not watching those up close and personal.

suitanim
10-08-2012, 09:20 AM
Will you ever get answers to your questions, Chidi?

Edman
10-08-2012, 10:21 AM
Please define the difference between "confuse" and "force" an offense into making mistakes. Schematically, what are the differences?

And what would constitute as an aggressive defense if that doesn't count? What more do you want?

Playing the "What do you want/Let's see you do better" card is when you don't have a real answer, so you shift the focus on me. I'm not the one being paid money to run the Steelers Defense, Lebeau is. What I want doesn't matter, but I know whatever the hell Lebeau tried in Oakland didn't work.

Confusion is passive-aggressively making your opponent into mistakes. Forcing mistakes is simply forcing them.

Stepping in front of the receiver to get an interception or breaking up the ball is forcing a mistake. Stripping the ball is forcing a mistake.

Sitting back and trying to confuse the QB with Zone Coverage is not trying to force a mistake. You're sitting back waiting and hoping the QB throws the ball here or there to get whatever you're desiring, but when he doesn't throw there, the D is screwed. The Defense is not forcing the QB to think twice or putting the pressure on his receivers to get open. A patient QB will find the holes in a Zone Defense every time. Palmer was patient, and he tore the Defense a new one. He didn't care how many guys Lebeau sent at him because he knew someone would be open if got rid of the ball quickly. Sure enough, he did, and Lebeau had no answer for it.

Lebeau's Defense relied heavily on Troy's athleticism roaming around and making plays, instead of turning the other 10 guys into playmakers themselves. With Troy out, the scheme is exposed because the other 10 guys were not coached to make plays.

suitanim
10-08-2012, 10:30 AM
Wow...Chidi will have fun with that one.

Granted, at least it's an answer...

zulater
10-10-2012, 12:45 AM
Some alterations by coach Mike Tomlin and defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau contributed to Lawrence Timmons’ big game Sunday against the Eagles. “We brought him (blitzed) a little more in this contest,” Tomlin said, “We’re still in the growing stages of the season. We’re still adding to our packages and our menu.” Timmons is expected to remain in his altered role at Tennessee, with Larry Foote dropping into coverage more

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/2738486-85/colon-eagles-offensive-roethlisberger-steelers-anybody-didn-playing-points-season#ixzz28s7UBMDy
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

So those of us who thought adjustments were needed were wrong? Too bad they couldn't think to make this an in game adjustment vs the Raiders. If so maybe we're sitting here at 3-1 today, such was the difference in the level of play of Timmons once this tweak was instituted.

Chidi29
10-14-2012, 04:12 PM
Playing the "What do you want/Let's see you do better" card is when you don't have a real answer, so you shift the focus on me. I'm not the one being paid money to run the Steelers Defense, Lebeau is. What I want doesn't matter, but I know whatever the hell Lebeau tried in Oakland didn't work.

Confusion is passive-aggressively making your opponent into mistakes. Forcing mistakes is simply forcing them.

Stepping in front of the receiver to get an interception or breaking up the ball is forcing a mistake. Stripping the ball is forcing a mistake.

Sitting back and trying to confuse the QB with Zone Coverage is not trying to force a mistake. You're sitting back waiting and hoping the QB throws the ball here or there to get whatever you're desiring, but when he doesn't throw there, the D is screwed. The Defense is not forcing the QB to think twice or putting the pressure on his receivers to get open. A patient QB will find the holes in a Zone Defense every time. Palmer was patient, and he tore the Defense a new one. He didn't care how many guys Lebeau sent at him because he knew someone would be open if got rid of the ball quickly. Sure enough, he did, and Lebeau had no answer for it.

Lebeau's Defense relied heavily on Troy's athleticism roaming around and making plays, instead of turning the other 10 guys into playmakers themselves. With Troy out, the scheme is exposed because the other 10 guys were not coached to make plays.

Sorry it took me so long to reply. Didn't see it until just now. Haven't been on SU that much lately.

It's not like you get too many chances to force a mistake. You can't just go jumping routes at will or you're going to get burned as much as it pays off. You pick your poison, either you play back at times and people yell about getting nickeled and dimed or you play very aggressively and you give up two long touchdowns each week and fans get mad over that.

The point of the zone blitz is supposed to throw the entire opposing offense out of whack if one guy reads the blitz wrong. No one really knows where it's coming from pre-snap so it's tough to make pre-snap reads for a QB and to make any route adjustments as a WR. The line is forced to figure out where the blitz is coming from. That is a ton of information to process and it forces everyone to be on the same page.

If you want to blitz, your corners have to play off to respect the deep ball. Or at least turn their hips sooner if they even think the receiver could be going deep. That is what opens up those curls underneath. And if you sit back, then you give the QB time to find an open man. So I don't know what you want them to do.