PDA

View Full Version : Impossible Question to Answer

solardave
07-24-2010, 07:51 AM
Here it is. One question and you can only post one answer at a time. I don't know if this has ever been posted here. I would personally have to go by era and still each year it seems like I have a new one. I could go old school and there would be at least a handful for variuos reasons. That's the other thing. Give your reason for picking who you pick.

WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE STEELER OF ALL TIME?

Troy is everthing in a player that you would want but even more than that what he brings to the Pittsburgh community is just awesome. He gets my pick for now.

fansince'76
07-24-2010, 08:49 AM
Mean Joe Greene. Drafting him changed everything.

Burghfan58
07-24-2010, 08:55 AM
Lambert. Exemplified what it is to be a Steeler. Tough, no nonsense, hard nosed, played bigger than his size. I could go on and on. Loved watching him rome from sideline to sideline laying licks on the opposing team.

SteelerFanInStl
07-24-2010, 09:48 AM
Lambert. Exemplified what it is to be a Steeler. Tough, no nonsense, hard nosed, played bigger than his size. I could go on and on. Loved watching him rome from sideline to sideline laying licks on the opposing team.

Mine too. My favorite players are always on the defensive side of the ball.

LLT
07-24-2010, 09:51 AM
Here it is. One question and you can only post one answer at a time. I don't know if this has ever been posted here. I would personally have to go by era and still each year it seems like I have a new one. I could go old school and there would be at least a handful for variuos reasons. That's the other thing. Give your reason for picking who you pick.

WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE STEELER OF ALL TIME?

Troy is everthing in a player that you would want but even more than that what he brings to the Pittsburgh community is just awesome. He gets my pick for now.

Good post....I have to go with Lambert also. The talent...the heart...the persona. He was everything that you want in a Linebacker.

SteelerEmpire
07-24-2010, 09:55 AM
There are a good 20 that I can say are my favorite. But I will say Lynn Swann for me... There has been "a lot" of "tough guys" that played for the Steelers over the years, but no single Steeler's player brought a flair of pizazz and added another dimension to the team like Swanny.

Even til this day if you ask most receivers who they try to measure up to in their career the majority of answers will be Jerry Rice or Lynn Swann (and Swann retired at the young age of 30)...

Devilsdancefloor
07-24-2010, 10:00 AM
Rod Woodson - He was always around the ball and when we needed a big play he always seemed to make it either punt return or INT or fumble or even breaking up a play. But it is hard to pick on but i have to say rod.

stillers4me
07-24-2010, 10:31 AM
I gotta say Troy. I think the Chief would have been very proud of him.

solardave
07-24-2010, 10:44 AM
I was going to say Lambert too but I knew he would probably get the bulk. I always admired Blier because of the way he got there.
John Banaszak ( you older guys can remember him) was to me a hard core pack your lunch and go to work type of player.

Indo
07-24-2010, 11:45 AM
Good question. Tough to answer.

For me it's between Lambert and Troy.

But I have to go with Lambert.
He personified the idea of "The Steelers". He was tough, mean, smart, athletic. He was an Intimidator on (and off) the field----not the Joey Porter Loud-mouth kind of Intimidator. The Silent, scary kind. He threw his Whole Being into Every play of the game. He was a Leader. And he lead by Example.
Without Jack, we don't have the rings, the trophies, the Dynasty.

(Troy is well on his way to being that kind of Player)

xX-TSK-Xx
07-24-2010, 11:58 AM
Good question. For me, I wasn't around to see the 70's Steelers, so I'll have to go with someone more recent. I woud say Jerome Bettis. Running back is one of my favorite positions and I loved the way the Bus ran the ball. Smash mouth football baby. Steelers style.

zulater
07-24-2010, 02:10 PM
So hard to choose one, but if I had to go with one I guess I'd go Jack Ham. Just a pro's pro, the guy never made a mistake, or so it seemed. I remember back in the day opposing teams virtually stopped running screen passes against us because Ham and Russell were so great diagnosing and stopping it for no gain or a loss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG_WDFZAuiA&feature=related

stillers4me
07-24-2010, 02:21 PM
Really, it's hard to pick just one.

Indo
07-24-2010, 03:35 PM
Already said Jack

Here's why
(check out what he says around 4:35---and imagine Brady thanking the gods that Jack retired before Marsha started playing)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53Kof5Gnr_c&feature=related

solardave
07-24-2010, 03:35 PM
Really, it's hard to pick just one.

That's why I asked this question. To help ease the stress of the preseason Jones, give us something constructive to talk about. Plus I love hearing you all explain your reasons because they validate mine. All of you guys (no matter who you picked) gave a reason that I'd have to say I can't argue with you there!:bounce:

Psycho Ward 86
07-24-2010, 06:07 PM
Chuck Noll. Where are we today, really, without him?

Burghfan58
07-24-2010, 07:10 PM
Already said Jack

Here's why
(check out what he says around 4:35---and imagine Brady thanking the gods that Jack retired before Marsha started playing)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53Kof5Gnr_c&feature=related

Thanks Indo for posting the Youtube. I never get tired of watching #58. Watching those clips will let the ones not fortunate enough to have seen him play know why he was one of the most popular Steelers.

Dodt
07-24-2010, 08:06 PM
Greg llyod.

Crow-Magnon
07-24-2010, 09:01 PM
I'd be hard-pressed to name my Favorite Steeler :chuckle: but Jack Lambert was one LB that actually scared the crap out of opposing teams. And as I love hard-hitting defense, he'd get my pick.

He would have picked up his amputated arm and used it to club the QB if he had the chance.

zulater
07-24-2010, 09:08 PM
I'd be hard-pressed to name my Favorite Steeler :chuckle: but Jack Lambert was one LB that actually scared the crap out of opposing teams. And as I love hard-hitting defense, he'd get my pick.

He would have picked up his amputated arm and used it to club the QB if he had the chance.

I would think a Raven's fan favorite Steelers would have to be Kris Brown :doh: or Tommy Maddox. :peep:.

BPS3akaWirels3
07-24-2010, 09:10 PM
Terry Bradshaw.. He lead us to 4 SB's... I have spoken, that is all..

tihmtahm
07-25-2010, 02:18 AM
Man... I love 'em all, but I have to go with Lambert. Here's my favorite quote and it would be my siggy but it's too long... I think it sums it up...

"He had no teeth, and he was slobbering all over himself. I'm thinking, 'You can have your money back, just get me out of here. Let me go be an accountant." I can't tell you how badly I wanted out of there." Denver rookie QB John Elway, on Jack Lambert, after Lambert and the Steelers knocked Elway out of his first game as a pro (1983).

stlrtruck
07-27-2010, 02:48 PM
The Chief!

Started the team, laid the foundation of the team, built the team, and knew what he wanted in a team - then brought it all to fruition.

steelcityboyzs
07-27-2010, 05:00 PM
I'd have to say Jack Ham. Smartest football player i;ve ever watched.

Akagi
07-27-2010, 06:32 PM
Franco Harris. He was the real missing piece of the puzzle. He was the one who changed 6-8 to 11-3. Now, when we look back at the highlight films, Swann and Stallworth and Brad get all the glory, and Franco gets slagged for "running soft"... going out of bounds, avoiding hits....

In 11 Steelers seasons, Franco averaged 262 carries a season. In his last year, 1983, he carried the ball 279 times. In the heart of the dynasty, 76-77-78, he averaged 300 carries per year! And 76 and 77 were 14 game seasons. He averaged 1069 yards per season. AVERAGED.

He was one tough, tough son of a bitch. Don't ever forget his in-your-face moment in the Super Bowl. When it was happening, we knew, Franco was the straw that stirred the drink. This is where "we run the ball" started.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVnGrBKvG5w&feature=PlayList&p=590A1B0FE02DE513&playnext=1&index=35

GodfatherofSoul
07-28-2010, 05:02 PM
Greg Lloyd. I'm a relatively new fan compared to the rest of you, but he was from that era when the defense was still physically scaring opposing QBs. The defense has always been good, but we don't have that meanness anymore. Joey Porter talked a lot of trash, but not the same as those players with that look of hatred in their eyes like the QB stole his dog and screwed his wife.

SteelerSal
07-28-2010, 05:16 PM
Franco Harris. He was the real missing piece of the puzzle. He was the one who changed 6-8 to 11-3. Now, when we look back at the highlight films, Swann and Stallworth and Brad get all the glory, and Franco gets slagged for "running soft"... going out of bounds, avoiding hits....

In 11 Steelers seasons, Franco averaged 262 carries a season. In his last year, 1983, he carried the ball 279 times. In the heart of the dynasty, 76-77-78, he averaged 300 carries per year! And 76 and 77 were 14 game seasons. He averaged 1069 yards per season. AVERAGED.

He was one tough, tough son of a bitch. Don't ever forget his in-your-face moment in the Super Bowl. When it was happening, we knew, Franco was the straw that stirred the drink. This is where "we run the ball" started.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVnGrBKvG5w&feature=PlayList&p=590A1B0FE02DE513&playnext=1&index=35

Wow that's a great find on Franco footage!!!! If none of you have watched this and are a old member of Franco's Italian Army, check it out!!

Austin87
07-29-2010, 03:23 AM
This is a tough one,but I'll have to say Troy is my favourite Steeler of all time. He seems like a real down to earth person and is just classy all around. He was amazing in the few games he played last season. That one handed leaping interception was unbelievable and in the first game of the season against the Titans he made Chris Johnson look slow.

The thing is Troy plays like this year in and year out.

The Duke
07-29-2010, 10:17 PM
Had I been able to watch Lambert play all those years he'd probably be my favorite. He's just everything the steelers are about

But since I didn't get to watch him, it's probably Troy. So many of Lambert's attributes, but more soft spoken and more of a freak of nature

tube517
07-29-2010, 10:18 PM

ShoeHorn
07-29-2010, 11:32 PM
Hard to pick just one, obviously, but I am gonna go with someone who has all the characteristics with which we associate "being a Steeler." Someone like Hines Ward. Or Troy Polamalu. How about Hines Polamalu?

tihmtahm
07-30-2010, 02:52 AM
call em Palomalu / Ward and I think you are onto something there.!!

GoSlash27
07-30-2010, 06:35 AM
Coach Dad.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Y-DbBvf7R5Y/Sc9rt7gBh8I/AAAAAAAAWZM/GJwZP3CWmU4/s400/20090329pdleabeau0329c_500.jpg

SteelerSal
07-30-2010, 07:04 AM
Coach Dad.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Y-DbBvf7R5Y/Sc9rt7gBh8I/AAAAAAAAWZM/GJwZP3CWmU4/s400/20090329pdleabeau0329c_500.jpg

Love It!!!!!!!

BigBenFn7
07-30-2010, 09:24 AM
Probably Polamalu. It was Ben but if he can't stay out of trouble, I'm not sure if he can be my favorite even though I certainly support him as a Steeler. I just love the way Troy plays football man.

wootawnee
07-30-2010, 02:34 PM
FRANCO HARRIS...........0 superbowls without # 32.......Ask mean Joe........

If all the nfl guys lived back in the roman and greek empire times, Franco would be one of the men carved in stone......None of todays players would.......

JayC
07-30-2010, 06:29 PM
mine is bettis. such a loveable guy and was a beast in his hayday. i wasnt alive for the dynasty years