View Full Version : RIP Kaye Cowher

tube517
07-23-2010, 10:57 PM
Kaye Cowher passes away from cancer.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10204/1075087-100.stm

(Moderators: Move, if necessary)

steelpride12
07-23-2010, 11:06 PM
OH my goodness this is so sad! R.I.P Mrs. Cowher and my Prayers and thought's go out to the entire Cowher family! :cry02:

kmsteelerwr15
07-23-2010, 11:12 PM
This is very sad. My prayers are out to them. RIP

Shea
07-23-2010, 11:13 PM
Yep, very sad. I didn't even know she had been sick.

Wallace108
07-23-2010, 11:18 PM
WOW!!! This is really sad. My heart goes out to the Cowher family.

tony hipchest
07-23-2010, 11:20 PM
WTF????

did anyone even know that she was sick?

she was mercilessly ripped for tearing bill away from the steelers and he was mercilessly ripped for supposedly having "carolina (her home state and the place that made her happy) on the mind" in his final year with the team.

kudos to bill for putting family before money and fame, and i hope all the people who trashed them are choking on their crow. prayers to him and their daughters, and the 3 girls future children who will be short of one grandma.

Chidi29
07-23-2010, 11:28 PM
Awful. Just simply awful. RIP

Shea
07-23-2010, 11:49 PM
kudos to bill for putting family before money and fame, and i hope all the people who trashed them are choking on their crow. prayers to him and their daughters, and the 3 girls future children who will be short of one grandma.

Yep, I agree.

I can't even begin to imagine what losing my mother would be like - those poor girls.

And although this happens daily all over the world, and I feel for those people as well, I actually am physically feeling sadness for Coach right now.

I don't know him, yet it feels like I do a little. All those years, and all those memories.

Just hope the press leaves them be since they are asking for privacy during this time.

Devilsdancefloor
07-23-2010, 11:53 PM
RIP very sad news

Shoes
07-24-2010, 12:02 AM
Prayers and condolences to the Cowher family.

Vincent
07-24-2010, 12:03 AM
Prayers to the Coach and their children. RIP Mrs Cowher.

oneforthetoe
07-24-2010, 12:05 AM
wow ... shocking. prayers for Bill and the kids.

tony hipchest
07-24-2010, 12:24 AM
there are 2 moments that always epitomized bill cowher to me.

at the end of SB XXX there is the famous clip of him being consoled by his family as he tries to put on a smile and tells his visibly distraught daughter "sometimes you win, sometimes you lose".

at the end of SB XL, in almost the same setting, his daugher yells "we're world champions, daddy" and then him and "his girls" do the family high-5.

in the 2 most defining moments of his career, his wife and daughters were there front and center, in almost a prominent role. to me, that is genuine, and what the family atmosphere that 'the chief' established with the steelers is all about.

Mattsme
07-24-2010, 12:39 AM

at the end of SB XXX there is the famous clip of him being consoled by his family as he tries to put on a smile and tells his visibly distraught daughter "sometimes you win, sometimes you lose".

at the end of SB XL, in almost the same setting, his daugher yells "we're world champions, daddy" and then him and "his girls" do the family high-5.

in the 2 most defining moments of his career, his wife and daughters were there front and center, in almost a prominent role. to me, that is genuine, and what the family atmosphere that 'the chief' established with the steelers is all about.

I saw the news earlier tonight, and I was coming here to post almost this exact same thing. I remember those two scenes very vividly. You beat me to it.

Shea
07-24-2010, 12:45 AM

Yeah, I'm picturing the same images tonight.

Can even see the Steeler scrunchie his daughter was wearing to pull back her hair during XXX.

And the pitch of his voice during XL. "My girls!" ... and seeing them all on the podium.

Obviously, a sad day that therefore brings up memories that haven't been recalled for awhile.

tony hipchest
07-24-2010, 01:06 AM
in nfl network's "americas game 43" bill cowher's lip is quivering like it has never quivered before, and his eyes well up with tears as he describes the moment with "his girls" immediately after the confetti is flying.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
07-24-2010, 01:16 AM
Wow I wasn't expecting to see that. They really kept everything quiet. Prayers to Coach and his daughters.

SteelerEmpire
07-24-2010, 01:19 AM
Rest in peace Kaye ...

LLT
07-24-2010, 03:57 AM
Wow...Like most, I had no idea that Kaye was ill. My prayers go out to the Cowher family.

Wheelz
07-24-2010, 04:00 AM
Heartfelt sympathies to the Cowher family

Galax Steeler
07-24-2010, 04:12 AM
This is horrible news RIP.

HometownGal
07-24-2010, 04:24 AM
OMG how very sad. I had no idea she was suffering from cancer but now she is in God's Kingdom and will suffer no more. Thoughts and prayers out to CoachCowher and the Cowher girls and may Kaye forever :rip:

solardave
07-24-2010, 04:54 AM
I always admired the Cowher family. I had no idea she was ill. This is really sad. I don't what to say.

zulater
07-24-2010, 05:16 AM
Very sad news. RIP Kaye, and prayers to the Cowher family.

tihmtahm
07-24-2010, 05:20 AM

Without a doubt the exact sentiment I have. Talk about the ones you never see coming. Man, I'm absolutely stunned about this news. My heart and prayers go out to Coach Cowher and their daughters. Kaye can now give Big Art a hug and tell him we all miss him down here!

AKsteeler
07-24-2010, 06:15 AM
Wow, this is so very sad. I am praying for their entire family. God Bless the Cowher family.

stillers4me
07-24-2010, 07:00 AM
My deepest sympathies to Coach Cowher and his family.

ALLD
07-24-2010, 07:01 AM
Very unexpected and terrible news. Our best goes out to coach and his family.

Canadian Steeler Nation
07-24-2010, 07:29 AM
So sad and so young to pass. My deepest sympathies to Coach and his daughters.

polamalubeast
07-24-2010, 07:31 AM
This is horrible news RIP.

SMR
07-24-2010, 07:37 AM
I too had no idea she was even sick. Ugh....this is just heartbreaking. My prayers and sympathies go to the Jaw and family. RIP Kaye.

BPS3akaWirels3
07-24-2010, 07:58 AM
This is a sad day for the Steeler Organization and Steeler Nation... My prays and thoughts go out to Bill and the girls... RIP

MULLDOG24
07-24-2010, 08:15 AM
God bless the Cowher family. My prayers and condolences go out to them.

Akagi
07-24-2010, 08:16 AM
Man, that's awful. Skin cancer can take you down fast, like in a couple months. My heart goes out to the Cowher family.

vader29
07-24-2010, 08:22 AM
She was way too young, so sad.

Killer
07-24-2010, 08:35 AM
WTF????

did anyone even know that she was sick?

Not a clue.

RIP

Burghfan58
07-24-2010, 08:49 AM
Wow! What a stunner that was when I checked out the Post Gazette this morning. They did a good job of keeping this out of the news which is how it should be. Best wishes to a good family and a sad affair for all.

crcsnail
07-24-2010, 08:57 AM
sad news indeed :( RIP

klick81
07-24-2010, 09:33 AM
So young. RIP Mrs. Cowher.

venom
07-24-2010, 09:34 AM
Rest in Peace . My prayers are with the Cowher family .

SteelerFanInStl
07-24-2010, 09:41 AM
I just saw this on Sportscenter this morning and I was shocked. Like the rest of you, I had no idea that she was even sick. Prayers go out to Coach and his family. I lost my Dad to cancer so I know what they're going through. :pray:

Godfather
07-24-2010, 10:18 AM
Terrible news.

Anyone know if she had a pet charity where we can make a memorial contribution? That would be better than sending thousands of flowers that will dry up in a few days.

BPS3akaWirels3
07-24-2010, 10:20 AM
If anyone hears or knows if the viewing or funeral is open to the public w/ location please post. I am down here in Greenville (hour from Raleigh) till Friday and would love to go and pay my respects..

NJarhead
07-24-2010, 10:22 AM
That is aweful. They must be devestated. She was entirely too young.
R.I.P.

BigNastyDefense
07-24-2010, 10:24 AM
RIP Kaye Cowher. My thoughts and prayers are with the Cowher family.

This brings new light to Coach's resignation. He let himself be ripped for "losing it" and becoming "burned out" to probably keep her medical condition a secret. That's very honorable, not many people would put their own ego and legacy aside to do that for anyone.

BPS3akaWirels3
07-24-2010, 12:04 PM
Terrible news.

Anyone know if she had a pet charity where we can make a memorial contribution? That would be better than sending thousands of flowers that will dry up in a few days.

http://www.jimmyv.org/component/content/article/55-charities/584-the-kay-yowwbca-cancer-fund.html

Indo
07-24-2010, 12:21 PM
Wow.

I, too, had no idea...
I'm guessing it was melanoma

RIP

As for a donation----perhaps we could all contribute something and send a single donation from 'Steelers Universe'

GutterflowerSteel
07-24-2010, 12:54 PM
I'm stunned by this tragic piece of news :( I can't imagine what the rest of the Cowhers must be going through. Much too young to pass away ...

Wow.

I, too, had no idea...
I'm guessing it was melanoma

RIP

As for a donation----perhaps we could all contribute something a send a single donation from 'Steelers Universe'

That's a good idea - I'd gladly contribute.

stillers4me
07-24-2010, 01:14 PM
Coach Cowher has released a statement:

Former Steelers coach Bill Cowher issued this statement today to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on the passing of his wife, Kaye:
"Sadly, my wife Kaye lost her battle with cancer on Friday. Kaye was such a loving and compassionate person and she was the foundation of our family. Kaye was always at my side throughout my career as a player, coach, NFL analyst and, most importantly, as a parent to our three daughters Meagan, Lauren and Lindsay. They will miss their mother dearly.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10205/1075166-100.stm#ixzz0ucntkqPQ

He asks that all donations be sent to Family Resources of Pennsylvania (412)-363-1702; www.familyresourcesofpa.org.

LLT
07-24-2010, 01:15 PM
For those of you wanting to make a donation:

The Cowher family has asked that anyone interested in making a donation on Kaye's behalf be directed to Family Resources of Pennsylvania, a charity that tries to prevent and treat child abuse by strengthening families and neighborhoods. The organization can be contacted by calling (412) 363-1702 or online at www.familyresourcesofpa.org.

http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/8483/Bill-Cowher-releases-a-statement-on-the-passing-of-his-wife-Kaye/Default.aspx

steeldevil
07-24-2010, 01:22 PM
RIP. Very sad news, did not know she was sick.

Nadroj 20
07-24-2010, 01:42 PM
Very sad news...RIP Kaye

SteelCityMan786
07-24-2010, 01:52 PM
The Steeler Nation lost a very valuable member. She will be missed.

Prayers to the Cowher Family. Rest in Peace Kaye. You're gone, but never forgotten.

wvsportsman
07-24-2010, 02:05 PM
Wow, what a shock this is! My sympathy and prayers To Bill and his daughters. RIP mrs C.

Mamaduck43
07-24-2010, 02:14 PM
What heartbreaking news.... I am so glad that Coach Cowher and his family had some 'not so stressful' retirement years together.... I hated it when he left, but this news makes the statement, 'living for the moment', much more valid... R.I.P. Kaye Cowher, and I hope that Coach and your three lovely daughters can find peace and healing......

Crow-Magnon
07-24-2010, 02:47 PM
My condolences to Bill and his family.

My wife and I met Bill and Kaye Cowher when we were on our honeymoon in Jamaica way back in 1988. He must have just left Cleveland as their secondary coach and was on his way to taking over as the DC for KC. I will freely admit Bill was a bit gruff, but Kaye seemed gracious. I could tell that they definitely loved each other.

I have had my "The Chin" moments over the years as a Ravens fan, but I will give Bill Cowher a big thumbs-up from Baltimore for walking away from coaching at the pinnacle of his career so he could focus on his wife and family....and for keeping the issue of his wife's health 100% private. You don't see much of that in today's world, so I commend him for that greatly.

Sad new indeed.

tony hipchest
07-24-2010, 02:59 PM
bills statement-

"Kaye was such a loving and compassionate person and she was the foundation of our family," Bill Cowher, now an NFL analyst for CBS, said in a statement. "Kaye was always at my side throughout my career as a player, coach, NFL analyst and, most importantly, as a parent to our three daughters Meagan, Lauren and Lindsay. They will miss their mother dearly."

"Kaye was the rock that we could all lean on in the tough times. She was looked up to by so many people and I cannot say enough about what Kaye meant to our family," Cowher said. "Her memory will never be forgotten."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5406440

Craic
07-24-2010, 03:34 PM
RIP Kaye Cowher. My thoughts and prayers are with the Cowher family.

This brings new light to Coach's resignation. He let himself be ripped for "losing it" and becoming "burned out" to probably keep her medical condition a secret. That's very honorable, not many people would put their own ego and legacy aside to do that for anyone.

I was wondering the same thing. If she was sick before he left, then my respect for him doubles.again for putting family first.

Carolina Steelers
07-24-2010, 03:41 PM
WOW!! I just now heard about this very sad news, I agree with everyone comments as well. I didnt know she was sick either. Very Shocking

Godfather
07-24-2010, 04:41 PM
I was wondering the same thing. If she was sick before he left, then my respect for him doubles.again for putting family first.

Agree.

I never thought he was mailing it in that last year. Ben's faceplant and appendectomy didn't help our cause...the only thing I faulted him for was mismanaging the clock against the Falcons. The other losses in the first half, the team put up a valiant effort. Especially Denver when Hines lost the ball because he was giving extra effort to score.

salamander
07-24-2010, 05:30 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with the Cowher family.

May Kaye Rest In Peace.

Psycho Ward 86
07-24-2010, 05:32 PM
Oh no! Best wishes from the fans!!!

X-Terminator
07-24-2010, 06:04 PM
I found out about this earlier this afternoon from HTG. I'm in shock, and like so many of you, I had no idea she was sick. My condolences and prayers to Coach Cowher and his family - just awful news. :(

steelerdude15
07-24-2010, 07:35 PM
Like most of you, I wasn't aware of her sickness. I'm shocked to of hear of the horrible news, R.I.P. Kaye Cowher and may the Cowher family have strength and guidance through this tough time.

zulater
07-24-2010, 09:04 PM
I've heard speculation that Kaye's illness might have been why Cowher quit to begin with. Whether Bill ever addresses that question remains to be seen. Obviously the Cowher's chose to keep thing fairly quiet so my guess is that he wont, at least in the short term.

But I think it's fairly probable that this is why he withdrew himself from consideration early in the proccess from all coaching openings at the start of this offseason.

My admiration for coach Cowher, while already high has gone up significantly. Clearly he's a man who's priorities are in the right order.

TatarMongol
07-25-2010, 12:15 AM
RIP Mrs. Cowher. I'll pray 4 u.

wootawnee
07-25-2010, 09:42 AM
Hope we see you on CBS this fall coach...........So you can fight with Shannon and Boomer..... We love Ya coach........

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-25-2010, 11:25 AM
I'm shocked, saddened and sympathetic to the entire family. She looked like the rock of the family that kept it all together. I wish the best to the family in their time of grief.

st33lersguy
07-25-2010, 02:29 PM
RIP Kaye Cowher, I feel so sorry for her and her family

memphissteelergirl
07-26-2010, 09:07 AM
Yep, very sad. I didn't even know she had been sick.

I didn't either. They (the family) obviously did it this way on purpose. And I can understand that. It was the same way with Dixie Carter, the actress. I did not know how ill she was until her death was announced. Her husband and family kept it pretty private as well.

Prayers to Coach Cowher and the girls.

SteelGhost
07-26-2010, 09:43 AM
R.I.P. Mrs. Cowher, all my prayers for you and your family.

SteelMember
07-26-2010, 10:21 AM
I'm very saddened to hear of this. My condolences to the families.

steel striker
07-26-2010, 02:39 PM
Very sad news many prayers to the Cowher family. I had no idea she had cancer.

steeldevil
07-26-2010, 04:45 PM
Just saw on the news that the funeral was today in a small church outside Raleigh. The service was private and the only footage was of Bill and his daughters leaving the church.

JoeCactus
07-26-2010, 06:01 PM
Class never lets in on troubles...........and Class quietly ........aborsbs the pain...........this is what it is..............Class

tony hipchest
07-26-2010, 07:00 PM
small excerpt from peter king's MMQB column-

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/2010/writers/peter_king/07/25/mmqb/kaye-cowher.jpg
Kaye Cowher was at husband Bill's side when the Steelers won Super Bowl XL in Detroit.
Getty Images

1. I think this is what I'll always remember about Kaye Cowher (wife of Bill), who died of skin cancer at 54 Friday: In the mayhem outside the Steelers locker room after their Super Bowl loss to Dallas in early 1996 in Arizona, one of the Cowher daughters was crying. Bill hugged her and said it was OK, and then he had to go, and the girl was still so sad. And Kaye told her her dad would be fine, and games all had winners and losers, and it would be OK because the Steelers played so hard. Just good lessons from a mom to a daughter who needed good lessons just then. The way Kaye was with the girl -- kind, gentle, smiling, letting her know the world wasn't over because one football game was lost -- showed the kind of perspective that helps kids grow up the right way.
The other point I'd make about Kaye Cowher has to do with skin cancer. I'm a melanoma survivor. I've still got what looks like a shark bite in my right forearm from having cancer cut out of there two years ago. I can't say it loudly enough, and I'm sure Kaye Cowher would want the same thing said if she could say it right now: Go get screened. I just had another mole cut off my back two weeks ago. Every four months I go to the dermatologist, and if you're fair-skinned like me, and you're pushing 45, I'd go get checked immediately. Kaye Cowher was a healthy, vital, tremendously fit person, but you can't beat skin cancer if you don't catch it in time.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/07/25/mmqb/3.html#ixzz0uvxSd8CZ

peter king was also one who actively followed the sickness of eagles coach jim johnson (who passed last year) and urged his readers to get screened.

86WARD
07-26-2010, 08:39 PM
RIP.

tony hipchest
07-26-2010, 09:45 PM
pat kirwan, a close friend, colleague and confidant of bill cowher opened his radio show today with condolences and some insight on how the coach was doing. kirwan is in his inner circle and has known of kates illness for a while. pats own brother had a wife lose her life to the disease at the age of 54 too, so im sure cowher found a level of empathy and trust with a person he could confide in.

pat spoke to bill on saturday and said he is doing okay and hinted that the demeanor was that life will go on. he noted that there was one daughter that bill was specifically concerned about taking it the hardest and she turned out to be the strongest through the whole ordeal.

bill, who is a frequent guest on him and pats sirius radio show (Moving the Chains) was scheduled to join them broadcasting live as an "in studio" analyst for a few stops on their camp tour in the next several weeks.

cowher is keeping those commitments. it would be cool if one of his co-host duties would be in latrobe for the friday night goaline scrimmage, but knowing bill, he wouldnt want to be a distraction.

bill parcells confirmed a miami visit, saying it will be great to have him there on the media side as opposed to the sidelines. its a good sign that he still plans to grab life by the horns and not go into a shell.

im guessing another of the camp stops would be cleveland, where he could personally interview mike holmgren. heres to strenght in bereavement... :drink:

stlrtruck
07-27-2010, 02:50 PM
RIP Kaye.

Prayers for the family.

zulater
07-27-2010, 10:38 PM
pat kirwan, a close friend, colleague and confidant of bill cowher opened his radio show today with condolences and some insight on how the coach was doing. kirwan is in his inner circle and has known of kates illness for a while. pats own brother had a wife lose her life to the disease at the age of 54 too, so im sure cowher found a level of empathy and trust with a person he could confide in.

pat spoke to bill on saturday and said he is doing okay and hinted that the demeanor was that life will go on. he noted that there was one daughter that bill was specifically concerned about taking it the hardest and she turned out to be the strongest through the whole ordeal.

bill, who is a frequent guest on him and pats sirius radio show (Moving the Chains) was scheduled to join them broadcasting live as an "in studio" analyst for a few stops on their camp tour in the next several weeks.

cowher is keeping those commitments. it would be cool if one of his co-host duties would be in latrobe for the friday night goaline scrimmage, but knowing bill, he wouldnt want to be a distraction.

bill parcells confirmed a miami visit, saying it will be great to have him there on the media side as opposed to the sidelines. its a good sign that he still plans to grab life by the horns and not go into a shell.

im guessing another of the camp stops would be cleveland, where he could personally interview mike holmgren. heres to strenght in bereavement... :drink:

Thanks for the update tony.