PDA

View Full Version : Rashard Mendenhall ready for return to Steelers

polamalubeast
10-01-2012, 11:01 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000068287/article/rashard-mendenhall-ready-for-return-to-steelers

cold-hard-steel
10-01-2012, 11:06 AM
I just hope he's ready. What an outside threat he can be. Just hope he is ready thats all.

Edman
10-01-2012, 11:08 AM
Rashard's Debut in the new offense. Look forward to seeing it.

Maybe finally he'll start realizing his true potential.

HollywoodSteel
10-01-2012, 12:37 PM
It says that his speed and cutting ability have not yet returned to 100%. It's not like he is Adrian Peterson. I'm not sure if an 80% Mendy helps us much.

Moose
10-01-2012, 01:28 PM
If he's 80% I don't see it making a difference in the running game. You know all opponents are going to smother him constantly. And with being 80% how much of a hit will it take to sideline him again ? My fingers are crossed for him changing the offense plays and scoring a bunch of TD's, God knows we need it.

st33lersguy
10-01-2012, 01:41 PM
Mendenhall ready to dance around like a ballerina and go side to side whenever a defender gets within 2 yards of him

suitanim
10-01-2012, 03:33 PM
Mendenhall ready to dance around like a ballerina and go side to side whenever a defender gets within 2 yards of him

Ready to eat those words when you are wrong?

And, um.....you're wrong quite often, so it ain't no stretch to hypothesize you'll be wrong again here...

Psycho Ward 86
10-01-2012, 04:44 PM
It says that his speed and cutting ability have not yet returned to 100%. It's not like he is Adrian Peterson.

and you think peterson's has? :lol:

SteelGhost
10-01-2012, 08:37 PM
Even at 80% he'll be an upgrade IMHO. I like Redman BUT he hasn't played as expected, of course the OL has not helped him enough.

st33lersguy
10-01-2012, 09:25 PM
Ready to eat those words when you are wrong?

And, um.....you're wrong quite often, so it ain't no stretch to hypothesize you'll be wrong again here...

Considering he danced around often last year and that the run-blocking has been poor, I probably will be right

steelerdude15
10-01-2012, 09:58 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing him return this Sunday. I hope he has a good return!

GBMelBlount
10-01-2012, 10:40 PM
I am glad Mendy is back.

Texasteel
10-02-2012, 06:56 AM

I don't know bud, last year it seemed we saw more straight ahead running and less hesitation. I was thinking Mendy looked much better, and then he got hurt.

fansince'76
10-02-2012, 07:03 AM
I don't know bud, last year it seemed we saw more straight ahead running and less hesitation. I was thinking Mendy looked much better, and then he got hurt.

Agreed. As a team, the Steelers averaged 4.4 YPC last year with Mendenhall. This year without him, they're averaging 2.8 YPC. That tells me all I need to know. People need to get over the stupid Twitter flap and the SB fumble (which was more David Johnson's fault than anybody else's) already.

Texasteel
10-02-2012, 07:09 AM
Agreed. As a team, the Steelers averaged 4.4 YPC last year with Mendenhall. This year without him, they're averaging 2.8 YPC. That tells me all I need to know. People need to get over the stupid Twitter flap and the SB fumble (which was more David Johnson's fault than anybody else's) already.

yes, and I don't think you can lay all that at the OLs feet. It looks to me we have little quickness in speed in the backfeild. Hopefully Mendy will improve that.

polamalubeast
10-02-2012, 07:11 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/rushing/sort/yardsPerRushAttempt

fansince'76
10-02-2012, 07:14 AM
Agreed. As a team, the Steelers averaged 4.4 YPC last year with Mendenhall. This year without him, they're averaging 2.8 YPC.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/rushing/sort/yardsPerRushAttempt

Excuse me - we've dropped to a whopping 2.6 YPC. I'm glad Mendenhall is coming back - Redman and Dwyer aren't the answer.

polamalubeast
10-02-2012, 07:17 AM
Fortunately, the steelers are very good in 3rd down!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/downs/sort/thirdDownConvPct

suitanim
10-02-2012, 08:33 AM
Considering he danced around often last year and that the run-blocking has been poor, I probably will be right

You were already wrong before you finished typing the original sentence.

HollywoodSteel
10-02-2012, 10:52 AM
and you think peterson's has? :lol:

No, I'm saying an 80% Peterson would be an upgrade for us, an 80% Mendy might not be.

86WARD
10-02-2012, 12:02 PM
Peterson is a freak of nature...Mendenhall is not.

polamalubeast
10-02-2012, 12:04 PM
Even if Mendenhall is not 100% healthy, the Steelers need Mendenhall,since the running game is painful to watch

HollywoodSteel
10-02-2012, 02:32 PM
Even if Mendenhall is not 100% healthy, the Steelers need Mendenhall,since the running game is painful to watch

I'm not sure what to base this from. Is Mendy faster, a better cutter, and able to overcome the lack of holes better than the other guys if he's not at 100%? I have no idea, but I guess the coaches see him in practice and if they feel that he can help the team then I guess he can.

fansince'76
10-02-2012, 02:57 PM
I'm not sure what to base this from. Is Mendy faster, a better cutter, and able to overcome the lack of holes better than the other guys if he's not at 100%? I have no idea, but I guess the coaches see him in practice and if they feel that he can help the team then I guess he can.

OTOH, can it really get any worse than 2.6 YPC and a league ranking of dead last?

steel striker
10-02-2012, 03:05 PM
I think some people now realize the value of Mendy and, yes I know he dance & does that spinaroonie. We really need Mendy to run the ball like the way a Mendy can.

Count Steeler
10-02-2012, 03:13 PM
Does not matter who is back there. If the O Line doesn't open any holes, we don't have a back, healthy or otherwise, that will make an impact on our running game. Mendy, being a little quicker than Redman, may squeeze through whatever daylight the O Line may open, but the issue with the running game remains the O Line.

polamalubeast
10-02-2012, 03:39 PM
Does not matter who is back there. If the O Line doesn't open any holes, we don't have a back, healthy or otherwise, that will make an impact on our running game. Mendy, being a little quicker than Redman, may squeeze through whatever daylight the O Line may open, but the issue with the running game remains the O Line.

Last year,the steelers had a 4.4 YPC.....The problem of the running game right now is that the RB are too slow

Count Steeler
10-02-2012, 04:49 PM
Last year,the steelers had a 4.4 YPC.....The problem of the running game right now is that the RB are too slow

Last year was not exclusively Mendy. Redman and Dwyer were in that mix as well. And Rainey is too slow?

polamalubeast
10-02-2012, 04:52 PM
Last year was not exclusively Mendy. Redman and Dwyer were in that mix as well. And Rainey is too slow?

Rainey is not a everydown back and he is not widely used

For Redman, he is a good backup, but he is not a good starter

Count Steeler
10-02-2012, 05:33 PM
Rainey is not a everydown back and he is not widely used

For Redman, he is a good backup, but he is not a good starter

Rainey is not an every down back, but with his speed and if the O Line was performing well in it's run blocking, he would have ripped at least one run open. I think our longest run from scrimmage is about 15 yards so far, and that by Dwyer. Redman is probably still not 100%, so that is not fair. Let's see what happens when Mendy runs. I don't see much changing, unless this O Line starts to gel.

oneforthetoe
10-02-2012, 11:52 PM
Rainey is not an every down back, but with his speed and if the O Line was performing well in it's run blocking, he would have ripped at least one run open. I think our longest run from scrimmage is about 15 yards so far, and that by Dwyer. Redman is probably still not 100%, so that is not fair. Let's see what happens when Mendy runs. I don't see much changing, unless this O Line starts to gel.

Yes, but I learned a long time ago on this board that long runs don't count. ;)

SteelGhost
10-03-2012, 09:25 PM

You may be right Count.

suitanim
10-04-2012, 08:22 AM
The line is no worse than it was last year. It's also no better. That's not a valid excuse for why Redman and Dwyer aren't getting the job done....rather, it can't be both ways. You can't ignore the line play in order to discredit Mendenhall while also trying to use it as an excuse for the relative poor play of his replacement backs. That's an intellectually dishonest tactic.

tube517
10-04-2012, 09:34 AM
Yes, but I learned a long time ago on this board that long runs don't count. ;)

:chuckle:

suitanim
10-08-2012, 09:00 AM

Okey, dokey....waiting to hear you eat your words. Mendy's "dancing" basically won us the game, as it was his juke move that scored the only TD of the game for the Steelers.

suitanim
10-10-2012, 11:12 AM
Bump....still waiting....

Psycho Ward 86
10-10-2012, 12:08 PM
immaturity level: Over 9000

suitanim
10-10-2012, 12:12 PM
immaturity level: Over 9000

Accountability is immature? Make a stupid statement, and own up to it. That's fair...immaturity is writing checks with posts that you can't (or won't) cash.

Nice try.