PDA

View Full Version : "Why did NFL again ignore illegal, late hit on Ben Roethlisberger?"

stillers4me
09-30-2012, 09:54 AM
The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Ed Bouchette asks and answers the question (via Twitter/Sulia), "Why did NFL again ignore illegal, late hit on Ben Roethlisberger?":

It's become obvious that the NFL has no desire to punish anyone who punishes Roethlisberger. Oakland linebacker Philip Wheeler dove at his legs from behind after the pass was thrown. Not only did he not draw a penalty by the scab refs, he apparently did nothing wrong per the league office because they revealed no fine for him.

So the league wants to promote safety and they've outlawed hits to the head and lower legs of their quarterbacks. Of course, you also can't hit them late. Wheeler did two of the three and got nothing. The way he hit Roethlisberger, the Steelers are fortunate they didn't lose their quarterback. -- Ed B

http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-steelers/f/03978af9-e37e-44ce-bba4-c2073398c262/?source=twitter

salamander
09-30-2012, 09:59 AM
The league must have been protecting the shield.

:sarcasm2:

Count Steeler
09-30-2012, 10:00 AM
I believe the answer is that we are obviously watching these plays as biased Steelers fans and these plays never draw flags nor fines in other games. I'm pretty sure that is what the Goodell and NFL apologists would have us believe.

GBMelBlount
09-30-2012, 10:23 AM
I am not sure I saw anything flagrant or intentional. To me it seemed moreso as if the physics of the play put him there...

Perhaps intent doesn't matter though.

silver & black
09-30-2012, 10:34 AM
Yes, that was a terrible no call. I was thinking that maybe Carson Palmer put his teamats up to that in order to get payback for the Kimo late hit that was similar.

What a dumbass comment.

salamander
09-30-2012, 11:26 AM
What a dumbass comment.

I agree with you on that...

ALLD
09-30-2012, 11:38 AM
You all are simply biased and deluded. If there is in fact a defacto double standard in the NFL, then there should be other players who receive special treatment. I have never seen Brady or P Manning get special treatment, ever. If they ever did they might as well create some kind of "rule" whether it is in regards to safety or some kind of play action.

fansince'76
09-30-2012, 11:40 AM
So the league wants to promote safety and they've outlawed hits to the head and lower legs of their quarterbacks.

And herein lies the key word. "Their" quarterbacks only include those with a last name of "Brady," "Manning," "Brees" and "Rodgers." You mean this isn't common knowledge? I think it's been fairly apparent for some time now. Look at some of the shots Vick takes if you want another example. There's clearly a double standard when it comes to Roger's "fair haired boys" and everyone else in the league who lines up under center.

Count Steeler
09-30-2012, 01:01 PM
I am not sure I saw anything flagrant or intentional. To me it seemed moreso as if the physics of the play put him there...

Perhaps intent doesn't matter though.

There has been debate in several threads where intent is not the issue. The fact is, Ben got hit below the knees. The player was not knocked into him, he made a physical move himself and he hit Ben below the knees. However, some video must not be as clear cut as others. Why else would some plays be fined and other similar plays not receive any attention. It has to be the lack of video, surely.

steelreserve
09-30-2012, 01:43 PM
Because the rules about hitting quarterbacks are called the Tom Brady rule and the CARSON PALMER rule, not the Ben Roethlisberger rule, duh.

The Ben Roethlisberger rule is the one that says you can get suspended for a quarter of a season just for looking like a dumbass.

tube517
09-30-2012, 01:46 PM
This is really old news. Ben's never going to get the same calls that the other QBs get.

salamander
09-30-2012, 02:11 PM
Perfect example: a Buffalo defender just got penalized for the doing the same exact thing to Tom Brady.

fansince'76
09-30-2012, 02:33 PM
Perfect example: a Buffalo defender just got penalized for the doing the same exact thing to Tom Brady.

Par for the course. Not surprised a bit.

GBMelBlount
09-30-2012, 02:35 PM

I'd like to see the video.

Also, some flags are missed...so I would be interested in seeing how this one compares and IF it results in a fine.

GodfatherofSoul
09-30-2012, 02:53 PM
Not a QB, but a Raiders defender dove right at Ziggy Hood's ankle while he was engaged. That's an intentional injury play. No flag, no fine.

Steeldude
09-30-2012, 02:55 PM
You all are simply biased and deluded. If there is in fact a defacto double standard in the NFL, then there should be other players who receive special treatment. I have never seen Brady or P Manning get special treatment, ever. If they ever did they might as well create some kind of "rule" whether it is in regards to safety or some kind of play action.

Is this sarcasm?

zulater
09-30-2012, 04:58 PM
I saw a similar play in Buffalo today with Brady on the receiving end of a low hit. Wasn't nearly as late as the hit on Ben, and not nearly as hard. It drew an immediate flag of course.

Count Steeler
09-30-2012, 05:36 PM
I saw a similar play in Buffalo today with Brady on the receiving end of a low hit. Wasn't nearly as late as the hit on Ben, and not nearly as hard. It drew an immediate flag of course.

I saw it as well. Obviously, the replacements refs were out of position and could not make the call. Yeah right!

ALLD
09-30-2012, 07:37 PM
Is this sarcasm?

Of couse. :::slaps head:::

Butch
09-30-2012, 07:48 PM
This is really old news. The Steelers are never going to get the same calls that the other teams get.

Fixed it for ya'.

steel striker
10-01-2012, 03:04 PM
NFL protects every Qb not named Ben Roethlisberger. Honorable mention Mike Vick.

86WARD
10-01-2012, 03:06 PM
Should be NFL Protects every QB differently.

86WARD
10-01-2012, 03:08 PM
Rodgers doesn't get Brady/Manning treatment. He's been abused. Maybe even more so than Ben.

Count Steeler
10-01-2012, 04:11 PM
Watching the Bills/Pats game yesterday, Dierdorf said that Brady gets preferential treatment because he lost a season due to a hit below the knee. This was just after Buffalo got flagged for hitting Brady below the knee.

SteelGhost
10-01-2012, 08:27 PM
Ben will have to run for his life until he retires, sad but true.

vader29
10-01-2012, 08:53 PM
Was searching for a video of the Brady hit from yesterday on youtube and couldn't find it, instead found this one from 2001 that was uploaded today. Oh the good old days before Goodell ball when this wasn't a penalty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WT3_MD4NmE

fansince'76
10-01-2012, 09:38 PM
Was searching for a video of the Brady hit from yesterday on youtube and couldn't find it, instead found this one from 2001 that was uploaded today. Oh the good old days before Goodell ball when this wasn't a penalty.

Not to mention 15 minutes worth of the announcers squawking about it and how it would be a fine immediately afterwards... :blah: :blah: :blah:

steelerdiva
10-01-2012, 09:43 PM

Bwahahahahahahahahahaha! LOVE IT! Nice find!

Count Steeler
10-03-2012, 04:28 PM
And in the "Not at all shocking" category. Buffalo's Williams gets a flag and a fine for hitting Brady below the knee.

I think the NFL should invest in a better video replay machine, because it just can't be a problem with the eyes watching the plays.

Butch
10-03-2012, 04:36 PM
Not to mention 15 minutes worth of the announcers squawking about it and how it would be a fine immediately afterwards... :blah: :blah: :blah:

If they didn't squawk about it "Go To Hell" wouldn't know it was a penalty and should be fined. From the partial announcers lips to "Go To Hell's" ears!!! If it happens to tom terrific you can bet it will be on the national news, but if it's Ben it will be buried in the cold case archives never to be heard from again.

suitanim
10-04-2012, 08:13 AM
And in the "Not at all shocking" category. Buffalo's Williams gets a flag and a fine for hitting Brady below the knee.

I think the NFL should invest in a better video replay machine, because it just can't be a problem with the eyes watching the plays.

I'm sorry, I know Preach will disagree, but this is TOTAL BULLSHIT. Williams was clearly pushed and ACCIDENTALLY brushed Marsha Gaydy's leg. Wheeler, on the other hand, under his own power, CLEARLY scampered forward and DELIBERATELY hit Ben's legs from behind.

Williams: Not penalty (called), should be no fine (was fined)
Wheeler: Penalty (not called) AND a fine-able offense (no fine)

fansince'76
10-04-2012, 08:19 AM

The "real" refs have returned! Joy! Pussyball is back!

suitanim
10-04-2012, 08:33 AM
Here is a series of photos that show what Williams did. Also notice Takeo Spikes LAUNCHING himself at Scott Chandlers helmet. No flag.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2012/10/3/3449634/buffalo-bills-kyle-williams-fined-tom-brady-hit No fine.

This subjective penalization, which leads to fines, and ultimately could lead to suspensions has GOT TO STOP.

suitanim
10-04-2012, 08:42 AM
And here is slowmo video of Wheelers, after being pushed DOWN, then scrambling forward and plowing into Ben's knee. The Buffalo pictures don't show Williams being blocked, but he was also pushed, but pushed FORWARD into Gaydy.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/09/roethlisberger-says-hit-by-wheeler-was-against-the-rules/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SteelersDepotBlog+%28Steelers +Depot+Blog%29

BnG_Hevn
10-04-2012, 10:24 AM

IF Brady was across the line, that shouldn't draw a penalty to today either. It wasn't helmet-to-helmet, the lambasted him with his shoulder.

Also, that was Brady's rookie season, right? You don't see him "asking for a flag" after that play like he would today. Even though the "today's Brady" is a whiny little wuss, in that video he took the hit, got up and walked off the field like it was no bother, as he should have done.

vader29
10-04-2012, 03:24 PM
And here is slowmo video of Wheelers, after being pushed DOWN, then scrambling forward and plowing into Ben's knee. The Buffalo pictures don't show Williams being blocked, but he was also pushed, but pushed FORWARD into Gaydy.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/09/roethlisberger-says-hit-by-wheeler-was-against-the-rules/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SteelersDepotBlog+%28Steelers +Depot+Blog%29

Dan Fouts even said the hit was illegal when it happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky4USYljk3k

X-Terminator
10-04-2012, 04:17 PM
I hate to say it, guys, but from looking at that video, I think the league got this one right. Wheeler did go towards Ben's leg, but it looked to me like he stopped himself before he took out his leg with his arm, and Ben actually tripped over his helmet. It probably should have been called a penalty since I've seen similar plays draw flags, but it should not have been fined.

suitanim
10-04-2012, 05:31 PM
I hate to say it, guys, but from looking at that video, I think the league got this one right. Wheeler did go towards Ben's leg, but it looked to me like he stopped himself before he took out his leg with his arm, and Ben actually tripped over his helmet. It probably should have been called a penalty since I've seen similar plays draw flags, but it should not have been fined.
But look at it IN RELATION to what was flagged and fined for Gaydy.

Wheeler made a move on purpose, on his own...Williams was pushed, and basically fell down into Gaydy's leg.

It's NOT the intent, or even the actual action that matters here, it's A) The double standard B) The subjective nature and C) The fact that we all can look at this stuff after the fact THE SAME WAY THE NFL DOES/CAN and we see the duplicity and subjective nature of these calls because of it.

X-Terminator
10-04-2012, 05:53 PM
But look at it IN RELATION to what was flagged and fined for Gaydy.

Wheeler made a move on purpose, on his own...Williams was pushed, and basically fell down into Gaydy's leg.

It's NOT the intent, or even the actual action that matters here, it's A) The double standard B) The subjective nature and C) The fact that we all can look at this stuff after the fact THE SAME WAY THE NFL DOES/CAN and we see the duplicity and subjective nature of these calls because of it.

Oh, I agree there is a double-standard - there's not much question about that. The league protects Marsha more than any other QB in the league, and it's not even close. Even Peyton and Brees don't get that much preferential treatment. They didn't even consider the circumstances behind the play - it's Marsha, so it's an automatic flag + fine. Even so, I would rather look at the play on Ben with an unbiased eye, and IMO the league made the correct call. If they would take that into consideration against every QB, and not just their favorite one, there'd be a lot less questioning. Either both plays get the same penalties, or they both get no penalties.

suitanim
10-05-2012, 09:48 AM
Until there is some kind of equity in this system, it will continue to be a sham and a fraud, as is the commissioner behind it...

GBMelBlount
10-05-2012, 10:59 AM

I agree with you XT....after looking at this more closely (and putting in context with other calls aside) I don't have any problems with this.