PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Polamalu feeling better at long last

Count Steeler
09-29-2012, 04:28 AM
By Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The pass sailed over the middle, intended for one of the scout team's receiver, and, with one flying motion toward the ball, this much became apparent about Troy Polamalu.

"It feels much better," Polamalu said.

The reference was to the calf Polamalu said he injured in practice the week leading up to the season opener in Denver, an injury that kept the seven-time Pro Bowl safety out of the past two games for the Steelers.

Polamalu, though, returned to practice Tuesday, worked both days with the first-team defense and said he is "optimistic" he will play when the Steelers return from their open week to play the Philadelphia Eagles Oct. 7 at Heinz Field.

"I wish I knew the answer to that because that's something we got to address," LeBeau said.

"We finished the [New York] Jets game, and it's our only win. If we finish the other two, we probably would have three wins. We're all aware of the problem and we're working on the corrections."

read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-polamalu-feeling-better-at-long-last-655428/

zulater
09-29-2012, 06:06 AM
The reference was to the calf Polamalu said he injured in practice the week leading up to the season opener in Denver, an injury that kept the seven-time Pro Bowl safety out of the past two games for the Steelers.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-polamalu-feeling-better-at-long-last-655428/#ixzz27r44oei0

Not shocking that he was hurt going into to Denver. Some have tried to make the case that Troy played ok that game. For one Troy playing "ok" is akin to DaVinci painting by numbers. Two, he made a few plays, but just as often he was late to an area or took a bad angle that led to a good Bronco gain. In other words one of the reasons I've been a pessimist about Troy and Harrison's return's turning the defense around overnight is that I'm not sure what we're going to get in either once they're back? At least now I know that Troy was playing at a diminished capacity in the opener health wise, so hopefully that's not the new standard of his play. I still have some fears though. Going back to spring OTA's there were reports that Troy wasn't showing his normal explosion, and there really wasn't much I saw this summer that convinced me that he was near his normal self.

Anyway hopefully he's back and playing close to the way we're used to seeing him. Because anything short of that with Harrison's anticipated continued absense and quite likely we're a bottom tier defense all season.

Of course I still think we have the horses on offense to overcome a subpar defense. But offensively we need to learn how to finish better. But that stories better left for another thread. :lol:

st33lersguy
09-29-2012, 08:44 AM
If he doesn't play against the Eagles, the Steelers are likely staring at a 1-3 record

Steeldude
09-29-2012, 08:52 AM
If he doesn't play against the Eagles, the Steelers are likely staring at a 1-3 record

Probably and that's because no one else will step up. It's pathetic that Harrison and Polamalu are the reason the defense works. To me that means the scheme is no longer as effective as it was in the past. The Steelers defense is relying on Harrison and Polamalu to play at superhuman levels.

Craic
09-29-2012, 01:09 PM
Probably and that's because no one else will step up. It's pathetic that Harrison and Polamalu are the reason the defense works. To me that means the scheme is no longer as effective as it was in the past. The Steelers defense is relying on Harrison and Polamalu to play at superhuman levels.

It's funny, I had this same argument with someone back on the other board before everything blew up. I really do question a system where one or two players make THIS much of a difference. I know people say, "what if Ben was out?" The problem is, Ben touches the ball every single snap on offense, and is literally the one person that determines the entire play by design of the position, not scheme. To do that by scheme on defense, worries me.

steelers_switzerland
09-29-2012, 06:42 PM
but isn't it about new players steping up every year, becoming playmakers? it was on defense, guys like james, ryan clark, ike taylor... now it changed, now it's the guys on offense the last 2 or 3 years. i guess it can't be the whole team being pro bowlers, and if the identity changes from having the superstars in defense to having them on offense, is it really a problem?

Psycho Ward 86
09-29-2012, 11:45 PM
if the identity changes from having the superstars in defense to having them on offense, is it really a problem?

no complaints here. itll take some getting used to for the fans, but looks to be working for Ravens.

GodfatherofSoul
09-30-2012, 01:16 AM
Maybe it's sacrilege, but I'm starting to question how much of Labeau's genius is based on having an all-time great at strong safety.

Psycho Ward 86
09-30-2012, 01:21 AM
Maybe it's sacrilege, but I'm starting to question how much of Labeau's genius is based on having an all-time great at strong safety.

well then again, all of the best defenses of all time have had some of the best defensive players of all time too.

Moose
09-30-2012, 07:19 AM
One of the big things, and actually the biggest factor is Troy is a SUPER defensive player. Probably one of the best strong safety's in the business today. You can't teach Troy's type of playing. It's built in you. It's rare when a player of Troy's caliber comes around, thank God he came to the Steeler's. And when Troy isn't in the lineup you can trust the opponents offense, QB especially, breathes a sigh of relief. James Harrison is a heck of player also, as we all know. But Harrison's style of play can be taught. Look in the history books and you'll find many great lineman.

86WARD
09-30-2012, 07:19 AM
Not holding my breath...