PDA

View Full Version : We saw a little bit of Arians football last night

Pristas
09-24-2012, 08:07 AM
Looks like Ben was writing his own script a little. Wow. Wonder how Haley feels about that? This story isn't over. Ha!

From the Post Gazette:

"I think offensively we did the things we wanted to do," Roethlisberger said. "We no-huddled the whole second half, I felt we moved the ball down the field. There are plays out there I called that aren't in our playbook. I know that sounds crazy, things we had from years past, guys were on the same page and it worked."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-gets-torched-10-point-fourth-quarter-lead-vanishes-as-time-runs-out-654686/#ixzz27OND6Q00

suitanim
09-24-2012, 09:42 AM
Uh-oh. But..........Arians plays were all bad!

GodfatherofSoul
09-24-2012, 10:00 AM
I hope we're not falling for the passing game trap. 400 yards in the air doesn't mean jack. We have to be able to run the ball to finish games and eat up the clock to rest the defense.

fansince'76
09-24-2012, 10:04 AM
Uh-oh. But..........Arians plays were all bad!

And it's also why we lost! :chuckle:

polamalubeast
09-24-2012, 10:07 AM
We have to be able to run the ball to finish games and eat up the clock to rest the defense.

The TOP is not a problem for the steelers!...The defense is the big problem!

Chidi29
09-24-2012, 10:19 AM
I hope we're not falling for the passing game trap. 400 yards in the air doesn't mean jack. We have to be able to run the ball to finish games and eat up the clock to rest the defense.

That wasn't the issue last night. Sealing games is all about moving the sticks. Doesn't matter how you do it. The turnovers offensively is what killed us, changed momentum, and gave the Raiders' short fields. Take away the TOs and penalties and we probably walk away with a win, even with the defense struggling as they did.

suitanim
09-24-2012, 10:37 AM
Love him or hate him, Mendy is going to help the run game. He also very rarely drops the ball.

suitanim
09-24-2012, 10:55 AM
And it's also why we lost! :chuckle:

Actually, now that I think about it, you're right. It IS Arians fault! Remember, last year Arians was blamed for several defensive breakdowns. Since he has exactly as much to do with the Steelers defense this year as he did last, why not go ahead and blame him this year for defensive let-downs?

Craic
09-24-2012, 11:33 AM
I guess I should take the blame for this thread too!

suitanim
09-24-2012, 11:46 AM
I guess I should take the blame for this thread too!

FACT: You started a thread that mentioned Arians last week.
FACT: Your board name and Bruce Arians name both share several common letters, namely "C" and "A", but also "R"
FACT: You WATCH football
FACT: Arians coaches football
FACT: You are a Steelers fan
FACT: Arians used to coach the Steelers

Through my powers of ratio summation, I can only deduce that YES! It is actually YOU who are responsible for Bruice Arians culpability for the defensive lapses in yesterdays game. Confess! CONFESS!

HollywoodSteel
09-24-2012, 11:50 AM
One thing that would be difficult to criticize from the game would be play calling. We played to our strengths. That's all I ask for.

Craic
09-24-2012, 12:23 PM
FACT: You started a thread that mentioned Arians last week.
FACT: Your board name and Bruce Arians name both share several common letters, namely "C" and "A", but also "R"
FACT: You WATCH football
FACT: Arians coaches football
FACT: You are a Steelers fan
FACT: Arians used to coach the Steelers

Through my powers of ratio summation, I can only deduce that YES! It is actually YOU who are responsible for Bruice Arians culpability for the defensive lapses in yesterdays game. Confess! CONFESS!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_NjUov1-0KnU/SxMPlf-VrMI/AAAAAAAAKLo/s3khrRD96bU/s1600/1+91+Bob+Crane+and+Werner+Klemperer.jpg

I know nothing!

zulater
09-24-2012, 12:35 PM
I don't remember Heath Miller ever being targeted this frequently in Arains offense, particularly in the red zone.

Craic
09-24-2012, 01:15 PM
I don't remember Heath Miller ever being targeted this frequently in Arains offense, particularly in the red zone.

Year targets
09 97
10 67
11 74
12 20

Seeing as it's only been 3 out of sixteen games, that "20" projects to around "100" this year.

So he's been targeted that much once in an Arians offense, though overall, I do think your point stands.

Psycho Ward 86
09-24-2012, 01:25 PM
LOL that was no Arians ball: High percentage short throws (73.5% completion), rarely any long developing plays, quick-draw misdirection play designs on both 4th down conversions, not being overzealous with trying to make monster plays all the time, and strong in the redzone.

For arians ball, please see--> the complete opposite.

Steeldude
09-24-2012, 01:39 PM
How could it be Arians-Ball? The Steelers scored over 24 points

Psycho Ward 86
09-24-2012, 03:10 PM
How could it be Arians-Ball? The Steelers scored over 24 points

and that was excluding special teams and defensive scores lmao

Pristas
09-24-2012, 03:17 PM
I just find it amazing that Ben had the balls to call last years plays mid-game. I'm surprised Haley's head didn't just explode right there on the sideline. Arians probably called Ben before his game and said, "look, Andrew and I are going to watch your game, if you could, help me teach this youngster a thing or two about how this offense is supposed to work. I'm just asking you to mix in a few of the plays for old times sake, if Haley gets mad, fuck him."

Ben in the huddle...

"alright guys, I know we haven't discussed this, but remember that play from last year where Wallace goes deep, Redman fake runs up the middle for no gain, Miller stays back to block, Sanders runs a reverse, and Brown goes out in the flat for a bubble screen, yeah, we're going to try that right now!, ready break!"

GodfatherofSoul
09-24-2012, 03:27 PM
That wasn't the issue last night. Sealing games is all about moving the sticks.

This was my problem on the last drive. It would've been nice if we could run the ball and eat up clock when you *have* to run the ball. That last drive went I think 16 yards primarily and mostly on short passes as I remember.

Chidi29
09-24-2012, 03:56 PM
This was my problem on the last drive. It would've been nice if we could run the ball and eat up clock when you *have* to run the ball. That last drive went I think 16 yards primarily and mostly on short passes as I remember.

Short passes are fine. I don't care how you move the sticks, just as long as you do.

Butch
09-24-2012, 04:06 PM
Short passes are fine. I don't care how you move the sticks, just as long as you do.

I'm with Chidi on this, how you do it doesn't matter it's that you do it.

Ben's specialty is moving the chains, 3rd and long is no problem...most of the time.

Craic
09-24-2012, 04:11 PM

But that makes no sense. Those short passes do the exact same thing that Bettis's runs used to do. 3, 4 yards a pop, clock keeps moving. There's no difference. Sure, there might be if the ball gets dropped, but even then, the clock doesn't fully stop until what, the last four minutes?

Oh, and let's not forget about the penalty - again, on the last drive. O line is killing me. That's a shame too, because believe it or not, they're starting to look better in some ways.

stillers4me
09-24-2012, 04:25 PM
The point is, that Ben is calling plays that fit the situaton...and apparently the concept works.

Go figure.

bayz101
09-24-2012, 04:53 PM
How the hell does Arians come into the equation? Ben said he called plays that weren't in the playbook, but that doesn't mean he called old plays from years past? It's easy to improvise when you have knowledge of football, and plays in general. Saying it's Arians' calls coming into Haley's offense and you're doing nothing but giving the Arians apologists more reasons to complain.

ALLD
09-24-2012, 05:09 PM
The worst play on offense outside of the turnovers was when we did not convert in the 4th with 2 minutes left. The Raiders sent everybody and forced Ben to get rid of the ball behind a porous OL. When we had the Raiders on the ropes with third and long we chose to only rush 4 and they made the first down after holding them on the first two downs. Bad coaching and bad execution on defense. No playoffs for us if we do not get serious about closing games out in the thrid quarter like it should have been.

GodfatherofSoul
09-24-2012, 06:28 PM
I'm speaking in context of the last drive. Those short passes weren't completed when we needed them. I'm not blaming the offense for the loss, but if you can't run the ball you can't protect leads. Everyone made fun of Cowher ball, but he didn't lose with a lead.

zulater
09-24-2012, 06:40 PM
How the hell does Arians come into the equation? Ben said he called plays that weren't in the playbook, but that doesn't mean he called old plays from years past? It's easy to improvise when you have knowledge of football, and plays in general. Saying it's Arians' calls coming into Haley's offense and you're doing nothing but giving the Arians apologists more reasons to complain.

Yeah Ben's stats bear out the difference in offensive approach. His yards per completion are the lowest of his career by far. And that's not a bad thing, because his yards per attempt are still quite acceptable.

salamander
09-24-2012, 06:45 PM

I'm with Chidi on this one.

HollywoodSteel
09-24-2012, 07:56 PM
I'm with Chidi on this one.

Me too. Chidi for OC!

SteelGhost
09-24-2012, 08:08 PM
Uh-Oh another "Bruise Arians" thread :horror: :bolt: :chuckle:

tube517
09-24-2012, 08:43 PM
Me too. Chidi for OC!

Ditto but Chidi is the next Moyock, not the next Arian...err Haley. :chuckle:

Chidi29
09-24-2012, 09:01 PM

But that's literally what Ben said. It's in the OP.

"I felt like offensively we kind of did the things we wanted to do; no huddle the whole second half. It felt like we moved the ball down the field; there were plays out there that I called that weren’t in our playbook. I know it sounds crazy; things that we’ve had from years past that guys were on the same page and it worked. I take my hat off to the line, receivers, tight ends, because they made plays."

GodfatherofSoul
09-24-2012, 09:54 PM
But that's literally what Ben said. It's in the OP.

"I felt like offensively we kind of did the things we wanted to do; no huddle the whole second half. It felt like we moved the ball down the field; there were plays out there that I called that weren’t in our playbook. I know it sounds crazy; things that we’ve had from years past that guys were on the same page and it worked. I take my hat off to the line, receivers, tight ends, because they made plays."

Oh lord that is horrible if that's what he said. He's basically saying, "yeah the offense kicked ass and I was using my old OC's playbook". He needs to keep his mouth shut if that's what he's doing.

X-Terminator
09-24-2012, 10:23 PM
You know, I think at this point Ben needs to go back to being the "aloof Ben" with the media. His brutal honesty, while admirable and refreshing given the mounds of BS we get every day, isn't doing anything to help his image. Not only that, doesn't he realize that everything he says about the offense is just feeding the media's lust for any kind of controversy between him and Haley? Why keep doing it?

60_MINUTES
09-24-2012, 10:43 PM
You know, I think at this point Ben needs to go back to being the "aloof Ben" with the media. His brutal honesty, while admirable and refreshing given the mounds of BS we get every day, isn't doing anything to help his image. Not only that, doesn't he realize that everything he says about the offense is just feeding the media's lust for any kind of controversy between him and Haley? Why keep doing it?

because other wise he would have to admit that the media,,rooneys, fans and coaching staff were all correct in saying how much better of a QB he would be without BA... 10 Different receivers by half time...no sacks.... 4 TDs and only one sack by the end of the game.... and we put up over 30 points should have been 40 without Turnovers....so its clear Haley has no Clue...LOL

fansince'76
09-24-2012, 10:51 PM

I don't think he gives a shit what most people's perception is of him. Also refreshing. And so far, his play has backed up his mouth. The only QB in the league playing as well as he is right now is maybe Matt Ryan. Too bad he's getting no help from the other side of the ball.

X-Terminator
09-25-2012, 12:44 AM
because other wise he would have to admit that the media,,rooneys, fans and coaching staff were all correct in saying how much better of a QB he would be without BA... 10 Different receivers by half time...no sacks.... 4 TDs and only one sack by the end of the game.... and we put up over 30 points should have been 40 without Turnovers....so its clear Haley has no Clue...LOL

I think all of that is 100% media-driven. Ben's problem is that he hasn't figured that out yet. It's pretty damn obvious from the way he has been playing that he has embraced the changes to the offense.

I don't think he gives a shit what most people's perception is of him. Also refreshing. And so far, his play has backed up his mouth. The only QB in the league playing as well as he is right now is maybe Matt Ryan. Too bad he's getting no help from the other side of the ball.

He can be a little more selective with his comments to the media while at the same time not giving a shit about what they think. He should prefer to let his play do the talking, and so far his play has been speaking loud and clear. If he keeps playing like this and eventually gets some help from the defense...watch out.

Craic
09-25-2012, 01:29 AM

I really have to wonder about the whole thing. My take is:

1. Haley could care less what plays are called if they work.
2. Ben saw a few things and realized that a few of the old plays would work.
3. They probably got together in the 3 minutes it took the defense to give up another TD, and Haley said, "Good call. But remember to do this and that." Ben probably responded with something like, "Yeah, your right."
4. Neither one of them could care less about how the press, the fans, or other teams are spinning this.
and 5. They are laughing their rear-ends off next time they get together, because they realize that the next OC has to worry about two playbooks now, instead of one.

steeldawg
09-25-2012, 11:53 AM
if haley didnt want ben calling plays he wouldnt put him in the no huddle with the freedom to do so.

JayC
09-25-2012, 04:25 PM
i like ben the player but give it a break already. apparently his old plays weren't working well enough cause we didn't win now did we.

X-Terminator
09-25-2012, 04:37 PM
i like ben the player but give it a break already. apparently his old plays weren't working well enough cause we didn't win now did we.

They went to 2 Super Bowls with those old plays, winning one.

There will be NO selective memory around here.

GodfatherofSoul
09-25-2012, 05:12 PM
Its not like the offense exploded with the nohuddle. 14/3/14/0 pts by quarter if i remember right.

stillers4me
09-25-2012, 06:02 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/channel/pittsburgh-steelers)
Mark Kaboly (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/source/S-11033651)

Ben Roethlisberger explains "using the old playbook" during the Raiders' game ... and of course, he was mis-quoted
Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said following Sunday's loss that he used some of the old playbook during the game. After 2 days, Ben clarified his remarks:

"I probably didn't speak clearly enough. It wasn't necessarily that I called plays as much as I used hand signals. I really didn't think it would get blown up as much as it did, and I know some people are saying that I've been resistant to Todd (Haley). But it's one of those things that we went to Todd, and it's in the playbook now. It was simply a signal that I used with our receivers on two different occasions. One was on the fourth-and-one, (where) we got the ball to Mike (Wallace). The other one was later on third down to Emmanuel (Sanders). So, we converted on both plays. It worked out. The point of me saying that ... where everybody is on the same page (with) me using signals that we've had for a long time that weren't necessarily in the offense, but they are now. So, it's just good that we're on the same page."

Craic
09-25-2012, 11:56 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/channel/pittsburgh-steelers)
Mark Kaboly (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/source/S-11033651)

Ben Roethlisberger explains "using the old playbook" during the Raiders' game ... and of course, he was mis-quoted
Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said following Sunday's loss that he used some of the old playbook during the game. After 2 days, Ben clarified his remarks:

"I probably didn't speak clearly enough. It wasn't necessarily that I called plays as much as I used hand signals. I really didn't think it would get blown up as much as it did, and I know some people are saying that I've been resistant to Todd (Haley). But it's one of those things that we went to Todd, and it's in the playbook now. It was simply a signal that I used with our receivers on two different occasions. One was on the fourth-and-one, (where) we got the ball to Mike (Wallace). The other one was later on third down to Emmanuel (Sanders). So, we converted on both plays. It worked out. The point of me saying that ... where everybody is on the same page (with) me using signals that we've had for a long time that weren't necessarily in the offense, but they are now. So, it's just good that we're on the same page."

I like my explanation better, but this one'll suffice. :chuckle: