PDA

View Full Version : Dixon wants more reps with 1st-team offense

hawaiiansteeler
07-23-2010, 02:12 AM
Dixon wants more reps with 1st-team offense

By John Harris, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, July 23, 2010

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2010-07-22/dixon-a.jpg

Third-year quarterback Dennis Dixon isn't your typical late draft pick. A knee injury blunted his Heisman Trophy hopes and pushed him down to the fifth round, where the Steelers were able to steal him.

Dixon made his lone NFL start last season at Baltimore when Ben Roethlisberger was a late scratch because of a concussion. Dixon displayed promise in the Steelers' 20-17 overtime loss, and he is expected to be No. 2 on the depth chart behind veteran Byron Leftwich when training camp opens a week from today.

Despite Dixon's upside, agent Jeff Sperbeck doesn't believe his client practiced with the first-team offense enough during offseason workouts for the coaching staff to fully evaluate his development. Dixon is competing with Leftwich to replace Roethlisberger, who will miss at least the first four games due to a suspension.

Sperbeck also questions why Leftwich, who appeared in five games with the Steelers in 2008, is playing ahead of Dixon after spending last season with Tampa Bay.

"I think Dennis should be given an opportunity to start," Sperbeck said in a phone interview from California. "He's been there going on three years. He knows the offense. He's familiar with his teammates. He's ready to go.

"I don't understand why after Byron's been gone a year, they would bring him back and start him ahead of Dennis. To me, it should have been Dennis' job as the No. 1. He was No. 2 last year. Byron was not even in the picture."

NBCSports.com agrees with Sperbeck, ranking the Steelers' decision to play Leftwich ahead of Dixon No. 7 among the NFL's 10 worst offseason moves.

Dixon, who's been training in Oregon, said he's prepared for the challenge of beating out Leftwich -- if he receives more of an opportunity.

"I would say yes. Everybody would like to take the first-team reps," Dixon said this week. "Once you get your shot, you want to show that you can get it done. I'm pretty sure there will be a point in time when that happens. It hasn't right now."

No. 3 quarterback Charlie Batch is among Dixon's biggest supporters on the Steelers. During a recent interview with a Tampa, Fla., radio station, Batch said it's a matter of time before Dixon attains stardom.

"Dennis Dixon is a great talent and I think he showed that last year against Baltimore. So I think at some point they're going to try to get him ready because he is the future," Batch said. "I think the way that everything has gone, they want to give Dennis as many (reps) in training camp as possible. And I think watching him as he progressed over the last couple of years, he's really going to be a talent -- whether that's with Pittsburgh or some other team."

Inside linebacker and co-captain James Farrior has faced Dixon enough times in practice to realize he can be a starting quarterback in the NFL. Now, Farrior said, Dixon must take his game to the next level and earn the respect of his teammates.

"I know Byron's probably going to be the starter going into training camp, but Dennis is going to give him a good push," said Farrior, who is completing his final week of workouts in Florida. "Ben is our quarterback, so it's up in the air for the next guy to come in. It's important to be able to manage the offense and be a leader out there. Having confidence from the guys he's in the huddle with is going to help him a lot."

Said Dixon: "I want my body language to show that I'm very confident in everything I do."

Dixon will play with more confidence if he receives additional first-team reps in training camp, according to Sperbeck.

"That's such an important part of a young guy's development," Sperbeck said. "When you bestow the confidence in him that he is the guy, now the team knows that and they are prepared to follow him. Without the team giving that to him, it's more difficult for any quarterback to lead when your own status is uncertain. You lead differently as a starter than you do as a backup."

Sperbeck said Dixon's third season is important to his development, in part because he becomes a restricted free agent after this season and could be sought after by other teams. Sperbeck compares Dixon at this stage in his career with talented quarterbacks such as Mark Brunell (fifth round) and Matt Hasselbeck (sixth round), who were also drafted late.

"Dennis was not a typical fifth-rounder. That was an aberration because of his injury," Sperbeck said. "The Steelers knew what they had early on. They knew they got great value in him. But now, since he was really more of a first- (or) second-round talent, those guys fall in the category of after a season or two they are considered ready to be starters."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 91596.html

Galax Steeler
07-23-2010, 03:43 AM
I think he deserves to have the chance to be the starter. Seems like they pretty much just gave it to Leftwich. Maybe Dixon will get more reps in camp.

Aussie_steeler
07-23-2010, 03:48 AM
"Dennis was not a typical fifth-rounder. That was an aberration because of his injury," Sperbeck said. "The Steelers knew what they had early on. They knew they got great value in him. But now, since he was really more of a first- (or) second-round talent, those guys fall in the category of after a season or two they are considered ready to be starters."

I think Dennis Dixon presents tremendous value to the steelers down the road. Be that as a backup, potential replacement for Ben if he screws up again or even as trade bait. Thats why I am extremely happy that he is a member of the current squad.

With a solid training camp I would expect to see Dixon enter the season as the #1 QB ( but I know that he wont). This years scenario reminds we a little of the 1996 season where Jim Miller started as the #1 QB, performed poorly and the job was handed to Mike Tomczak. IMO lefty and Dixon might exchange duties during the first 4 - 6 weeks.

steeldawg
07-23-2010, 05:27 AM
I said it before and I will say it again, Dixon should be the starter instead of leftwich.

zulater
07-23-2010, 05:42 AM
I said it before and I will say it again, Dixon should be the starter instead of leftwich.

Maybe, but not with our unimaginitive coaching staff. If they were to play to Dixon's strengths, and let him have some freedom to come out of the pocket if things break down he would create headaches for our opponents. But just as was the case in last years Ravens game, except for 2 or 3 plays they just try to run the offense as usual with Dixon, which in my opinion is a a mistake. I'm not advocating a wildcat offense, but a few more rollouts and options would keep the defense on their heels.

hotrodder07
07-23-2010, 08:38 AM
When they gave Lefty all the first-team reps, I was thinking that Dixon should have been the starter, but now I'm not so sure. Leftwich has played, and won in our system more than Dixon, and because he's been around longer, he's less likely to make a mistake that costs us a game. And while Dixon is more versatile, we do not have to alter our offense very much when we put Leftwich at the helm. So for a short period of games, I believe Leftwich is the better option.

That all said, I still firmly believe that Dixon should have had a fair shot at the job. Even if I did believe that Leftwich would have ultimately won out, you never know what could happen. Hopefully he gets more of a shot in camp and in the preseason.

Killer
07-23-2010, 08:49 AM
Run Dixon Run!

If Lefty don't get rid of that ball quick, Dixon could be up to bat real soon.

And they should get rid of that "he's the starter" mentality - we need these guys to pull out all the stops

start Lefty - for a half, then left Dixon play - keep the other teams guessing - maybe even change QB's one series to another - don't be afraid to be different - wildcat, triple option Randel El at QB - open the whole bag of tricks

salamander
07-23-2010, 09:46 AM
Run Dixon Run!

If Lefty don't get rid of that ball quick, Dixon could be up to bat real soon.

And they should get rid of that "he's the starter" mentality - we need these guys to pull out all the stops

start Lefty - for a half, then left Dixon play - keep the other teams guessing - maybe even change QB's one series to another - don't be afraid to be different - wildcat, triple option Randel El at QB - open the whole bag of tricks

Not with Arians running our offense :chuckle:

Killer
07-23-2010, 10:02 AM
so like, delete it - you have the power

wootawnee
07-23-2010, 10:03 AM
I live out on the west coast near the Bay Area.......Dixon and Sweed have been out here getting paid to show up at all the clubs in SF, and all the hotties show up.....They have been promoting their presence at the clubs on the hip hop stations..............If you any of you talk to him at camp ask him about the clubs and the ladies.......You'll see a huge smile for sure......Peace.....

http://janeheller.mlblogs.com/dance%20club.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_p5qEg28ZhZ4/SL8O7yWi-CI/AAAAAAAAEhw/bWmhd3XGjVs/s400/booty-shot-ludacris-8ec4fd1.jpg

http://hiphopvideovixens.com/wp-content/gallery/2009/05/chicks_in_panama_3-540x628.jpg

Killer
07-23-2010, 11:05 AM
http://hiphopvideovixens.com/wp-content/gallery/2009/05/chicks_in_panama_3-540x628.jpg

Nice pics

Ben is sure missing out on all the fun.

Devilsdancefloor
07-23-2010, 11:47 AM
i really think dixon deserves to play with the first team i really think he did well against the ratbirds last year. They always bring their A++ game when they play us. I like lefty, but that wind up to throw ugh. At some point i think he will start during the 4 to 6 weeks.

salamander
07-23-2010, 12:17 PM
so like, delete it - you have the power

I didn't realize I could. My bad.

tihmtahm
07-23-2010, 12:36 PM
While I'm not yet convinced that Dix should start over Lefty, I damn sure believe he should be given a fair opportunity to prove it either way. Dix should get some time in with the 1st team, along with Lefty and Batch as well.

memphissteelergirl
07-23-2010, 12:41 PM
While I'm not yet convinced that Dix should start over Lefty, I damn sure believe he should be given a fair opportunity to prove it either way. Dix should get some time in with the 1st team, along with Lefty and Batch as well.

Agreed. Time will tell as training camp/preseason progresses.

steeldevil
07-23-2010, 01:36 PM
I think it is absurd if Dixon is not even given a CHANCE to compete for the starting job in training camp...

kmsteelerwr15
07-23-2010, 01:42 PM
I think Dixon earned the right to at least earn the starting spot. They need to give him more reps at training camp.

steel striker
07-23-2010, 02:53 PM
I would hope Dennis would have a chance to prove he could be the future qb but, it sure looks like that is not the case. I mean Dennis showed last year he has that playmaker skill set. I guess time will tell.