PDA

View Full Version : Coach Mike Tomlin post-game vs. Raiders

steelerdude15
09-23-2012, 09:06 PM
Coach Mike Tomlin post-game vs. Raiders

Opening Comment: That was a poor performance by us. When you play like that you lose football games. Not enough stops on defense. We turned the ball over on offense. We gave up a big return or two which provided field position, a shot in the arm in the kicking game and allowed them to respond to some scores. I would like to tip my hat to the Oakland Raiders. They played winning ball. That is not the style of ball that we desire to play. You are going to lose when you play like that, as we did today. We have got to chew on this one for a while, obviously. It’s not going to go down easy, as it should not go down easy. It won’t define us. We’ll go back to work. We’ll continue to search for areas of improvement, which are many.

Did you intend to go for it all along on fourth down?
I intended to go all along. I wasn’t going to punt the football to them. We hadn’t stopped them enough in the second half to do that. It was inside of one. If you can’t get inside of one you deserve to lose games. I won’t hesitate to do that.

Was there any reason you weren’t able to stop them defensively or was it lack of execution?
Not very good execution by us, but at the same token you tip your hat to them because they did execute in critical moments and made the necessary plays. I don’t want to take anything away from them, but obviously we expect more and better from ourselves.

Read More: http://blog.steelers.com/2012/09/23/coach-mike-tomlin-post-game-vs-raiders/

Something I want to point out to everyone:

Did you intend to go for it all along on fourth down?
I intended to go all along. I wasn’t going to punt the football to them. We hadn’t stopped them enough in the second half to do that

That tells me that he doesn't trust the defense to get it done. Of course we all figured that out when they went for it.

Count Steeler
09-23-2012, 09:27 PM
Tomlin is no fool. He say the defense played like shit, just like the rest of us.

st33lersguy
09-23-2012, 10:07 PM
I want to know why he didn't have his defense focused enough to hold a 10 point lead against a sorry-ass excuse of a team and a sorry-ass excuse of a QB

steelreserve
09-23-2012, 11:04 PM
That tells me that he doesn't trust the defense to get it done. Of course we all figured that out when they went for it.

Of course he didn't trust them. He saw the way the defense was playing just like we did. I cringed at the thought of punting the ball back to them; it was obvious they would've just marched right down the field. Which is what they ended up doing later, of course.

Funny thing, maybe the best strategy would've been to punt it away so that once the defense let them score, our offense would've at least had the ball back. Who knows, maybe we could've gotten a TD to their FG or at least forced overtime.

suitanim
09-24-2012, 05:41 AM
Two things I like about what I've heard from Tomlin this week: One, he gives credit to the other team unlike those horrific douchey asshole Harbaugh brothers, and, two, he said he has respect for the replacement refs for at least TRYING while just about every other coach (did you SEE the Rats/Cheats game last night?) in the NFL act like petulant whiny bitches after every call.

Moose
09-24-2012, 05:51 AM
They played winning ball. That is not the style of ball that we desire to play Taken from above Tomlin's post game comment......and how true he is.

NJarhead
09-24-2012, 06:56 AM
Hind sight's 20-20, but I wonder if our chances wouldn't have been better had we let them score right away after the punt, or gone for it again on 4th and 9 with the same thought in mind.

Pristas
09-24-2012, 08:13 AM
Two things I like about what I've heard from Tomlin this week: One, he gives credit to the other team unlike those horrific douchey asshole Harbaugh brothers, and, two, he said he has respect for the replacement refs for at least TRYING while just about every other coach (did you SEE the Rats/Cheats game last night?) in the NFL act like petulant whiny bitches after every call.

Agree 100%

Moose
09-24-2012, 09:27 AM
Tomlin is a classy guy/coach, so I would expect him saying that about the refs. I've watched alot of the different NFL games, and I can honestly say I don't think the replacements are doing 'that' bad of a job. Oh sure, there are plenty missed calls, but I've seen many of the regular's miss calls, and some even resulted in a team losing a game. Swaying a game's result because of a 'call' is really a disasterious thing you don't want to happen. In my opinion the game with the Raider's was lost due to our lack of execution on BOTH sides of the ball. Our offense should have run up the score in the 1st half when we could do whatever we wanted, score and put them away, and on defense for letting them back in the game. MY OPINION !

ALLD
09-24-2012, 05:41 PM
This is the opposite of 1976 when we had no offense and the D had to carry the team. Now it is the O carrying the team, with predictable results.

polamalubeast
09-24-2012, 05:45 PM
This is the opposite of 1976 when we had no offense and the D had to carry the team. Now it is the O carrying the team, with predictable results.

In 1976,the steelers had a great running game when Brashawn was hurt

Also,the defense in 1976 was historic.Right now, the offense is very good, but this is not the greatest show on turf and the Steelers need that the defense be better to have a good season