PDA

View Full Version : Deep Doo-Doo.

Edman
09-23-2012, 07:17 PM
Yeah, no problem. Got this game in the bag, right?

On the bright side, I didn't break anything like a remote, a table, or a television.

Lebeau and the Defense needs to be put on notice. Worst D since the 80's. The Zone Cushion isn't working, but hey let's stick with it for the rest of the game. Great Idea, Lebeau. No, the Offense doesn't get off the hook either. Wallace and Brown are big goats. Way to spoil Ben's fantastic performance. Not Good guys. Young Money Crew came up like chump change.

Everyone in that fucking locker room owes their paychecks to Ben. Ben, you're the fucking man and I'm glad you're our Quarterback. Absolutely LEGENDARY performance by #7 on a otherwise horrid day. Ben and Heath are amazing.

The next time I see a fan spout "this game in the bag". I'm going to verbally slap him/her. Fuck this shit.

steelerdude15
09-23-2012, 07:18 PM
Lets not forget Heath and Shaun, they deserve their credit too.

steel9guy
09-23-2012, 07:20 PM
Is it weird that I'm so mad that I can't stop laughing? This is weird. UNBELIEVABLE

fansince'76
09-23-2012, 07:21 PM
Looks like it might be a long year.

steelerdude15
09-23-2012, 07:21 PM
Looks like it might be a long year.

Could be another inconsistent year again.

X-Terminator
09-23-2012, 07:22 PM
Damn, didn't even wait an hour after the game before someone blamed the offense. What, 31 points ain't enough?

steeldawg
09-23-2012, 07:23 PM
I cant really throw alot of blame wallaces way, he did fumble the one ball but got it back, but other than that he played a pretty good game.

Randy06
09-23-2012, 07:26 PM
This game is all and I mean ALL on our defense. To allow that many points to that offense, to blow a lead in the 4th, is unacceptable. We couldnt stop shit today. Period.

tube517
09-23-2012, 07:26 PM
Damn, didn't even wait an hour after the game before someone blamed the offense. What, 31 points ain't enough?

Turnovers on the offense were bad. Receivers need to hold the ball. Haley and Ben were fine. Had no problem with them at all

stillers4me
09-23-2012, 07:30 PM
Ben and Heath are on fire and I hate hate hate hate seeing it get blown away by the defense. I lost count how many times we gave up a ten point lead.....and I missed the whole damn 1st quarter.

dislocatedday
09-23-2012, 07:30 PM
As bad as it feels right now, as long as the Ravens lose tonight, then we are right there in the division at just one back of Cincy. I'm not sure where the Steelers defense is headed long term over this season, but hopefully they can start moving in the right direction.

Edman
09-23-2012, 07:32 PM

No, but two critical fumbles isn't enough either. Brown and Wallace are just as big as goats as the Doo-Doo*.

*-I will not call the Defense a "Defense" anymore. It doesn't deserve the name "Defense". From this day forth I will refer to it as the Doo-Doo. Because that's what it is. Doo-Doo. Dookies. Turds. :poop:

Kittyfish
09-23-2012, 07:32 PM
On the WDVE post game show, they are calling out the defense. The host was saying before how people seem to think that the D is this perpetual modern-day Steel Curtain even when it's not playing well, and has all kinds of excuses on hand to explain why it's not the D's fault. The hosts are not having that today, and are about to explain why (in their opinion) having Harrison or Troy would not have helped at all.

X-Terminator
09-23-2012, 07:33 PM
No, but two critical fumbles isn't enough either. Brown and Wallace are just as big as goats as the Doo-Doo*.

*-I will not call the Defense a "Defense" anymore. It doesn't deserve the name "Defense". From this day forth I will refer to it as the Doo-Doo. Because that's what it is. Doo-Doo. Dookie. Turds. ****stain.

OK, you want to go there...then if the defense actually did its fucking job, they would have never been in that position in the first place. Blaming ANY ASPECT of the offense for this loss is completely ridiculous.

Edman
09-23-2012, 07:35 PM
OK, you want to go there...then if the defense actually did its fucking job, they would have never been in that position in the first place. Blaming ANY ASPECT of the offense for this loss is completely ridiculous.

The Defense caused Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown to fumble the ball three times between them. Got it.

tube517
09-23-2012, 07:37 PM
On the WDVE post game show, they are calling out the defense. The host was saying before how people seem to think that the D is this perpetual modern-day Steel Curtain even when it's not playing well, and has all kinds of excuses on hand to explain why it's not the D's fault. The hosts are not having that today, and are about to explain why (in their opinion) having Harrison or Troy would not have helped at all.

Since last year, this defense cannot force turnovers and get sacks/pressure. Now, they can't stop the run.

The result is what you saw today and the Denver game

polamalubeast
09-23-2012, 07:38 PM
the defense is the reason for the lost of the Steelers

last 5 drives of the raiders....TD,TD,TD,FG,FG....this is not the fault of Antonio Brown

X-Terminator
09-23-2012, 07:39 PM
The Defense caused Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown to fumble the ball three times between them. Got it.

Don't be obtuse. You know damn well what I'm talking about. Maybe if the defense would have got off the fucking plane, they wouldn't have been in the position where a fumble or 2 = loss.

Fans try too damn hard to pin shit on the offense when they did their job, while basically giving the defense a pass (and yes, calling them "Doo Doo" and saying they are what they are is doing exactly that). They scored 31 points. That is MORE than enough to beat every other team in the league if your defense shows up.

polamalubeast
09-23-2012, 07:41 PM
Antonio Brown=one lost fumble

Defense:5 bad drive on a row

steelreserve
09-23-2012, 07:41 PM

Sadly, I am of a similar mind. I do not think that would move the needle that much. The fundamental problem is that 90% of football is about blocking and tackling, and we're doing horribly at both as a team. The injuries don't help, but I think the real problem is that we're used to manhandling other teams at the line on defense, and our whole defensive scheme is based on that, yet we can't do it anymore.

We've spent quite a few high draft picks on it the past few years to replace our aging guys up front, but the fact is that Hood, Heyward, Worilds, etc. are not stepping up and dominating the line of scrimmage like we need in order for our defense to work. Who knows, maybe they'll still improve, but as-is, they're not at the same level as the guys they were brought in to replace. If they don't step up in a hurry, we need to either change our scheme so that hurts us less, or find some different guys.

Count Steeler
09-23-2012, 07:42 PM
I though McLendon was going to be able to replace Hampton, but I don't see him playing much. Is he injured as well?

GBMelBlount
09-23-2012, 07:44 PM
Lebeau and the Defense needs to be put on notice. Worst D since the 80's. The Zone Cushion isn't working, but hey let's stick with it for the rest of the game. Great Idea, Lebeau.

I wonder if Lebeau is simply satisfied at this point in his career...

st33lersguy
09-23-2012, 07:47 PM
If Harrison and Polamalu don't return in 2 weeks this season is OVER and Michael Vick, LeSean McCoy, and DeSean Jackson will all have field days

Edman
09-23-2012, 07:52 PM
Don't be obtuse. You know damn well what I'm talking about. Maybe if the defense would have got off the fucking plane, they wouldn't have been in the position where a fumble or 2 = loss.

Fans try too damn hard to pin shit on the offense when they did their job, while basically giving the defense a pass (and yes, calling them "Doo Doo" and saying they are what they are is doing exactly that). They scored 31 points. That is MORE than enough to beat every other team in the league if your defense shows up.

Ah, so you're saying this Defense is acceptable this year and they just had a bad game. I don't buy it.

This Defense is what it is at the moment. It's not good. It's not acceptable. It's crap. They did get off the plane, and they played like shit for the second time in three weeks. I thought it was just Peyton Manning, but not anymore.

This Defense is crap and they are the chief reasons we lost this game and the one in Denver.

X-Terminator
09-23-2012, 07:54 PM
Ah, so you're saying this Defense is acceptable this year and they just had a bad game. I don't buy it.

This Defense is what it is at the moment. It's not good. It's not acceptable. It's crap. They did get off the plane, and they played like shit for the second time in three weeks. I thought it was just Peyton Manning, but not anymore.

This Defense is crap and they are the chief reasons we lost this game and the one in Denver.

Yeah, because I, like, totally said that. :rolleyes:

I'm not the one who tried to blame the offense for the loss today.

Edman
09-23-2012, 07:57 PM
Yeah, because I, like, totally said that. :rolleyes:

I'm not the one who tried to blame the offense for the loss today.

Lebeau and the Defense needs to be put on notice. Worst D since the 80's. The Zone Cushion isn't working, but hey let's stick with it for the rest of the game. Great Idea, Lebeau. No, the Offense doesn't get off the hook either.

Yeah, I totally blamed this loss on the Offense.

Shoes
09-23-2012, 07:58 PM

I agree....I really don't think Harrison and Troy will add much to this Defense. I honestly think these guys are thinking about life after football.

SteelGhost
09-24-2012, 07:57 PM
I wonder if Lebeau is simply satisfied AND TIRED at this point in his career...

Fixed for ya'

GBMelBlount
09-24-2012, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by GBMelBlount

I wonder if Lebeau is simply satisfied AND TIRED at this point in his career...

Fixed for ya'

You know SG, I remember a simple post you made before the season started when everyone was worried about the new rosetta stone offense and you quite simply stated that your concern was actually the defense.

You were right. :drink:

BigNastyDefense
09-24-2012, 09:14 PM
My two goats are Brown for the fumble and the defense for playing like a hot pile of dog crap.

Our offensive players need to learn that fighting for every yard isn't always a good idea. When you have more than one guy on you, especially when you have the first down and/or more, just go down because the second/third/fourth/etc. guy is going to try and strip the ball.

The defense needs to figure stuff the fuck out. We have little to no pass rush, our secondary cannot cover, and we can't stop the fucking run.

SteelGhost
09-24-2012, 09:15 PM
You know SG, I remember a simple post you made before the season started when everyone was worried about the new rosetta stone offense and you quite simply stated that your concern was actually the defense.

You were right. :drink:

I wish I was not :chuckle: :drink:

SteelerEmpire
09-25-2012, 03:54 PM
Wow. Have'nt been on here in a while and just now seeing this post. The team IS in deep doo-doo...lol. And I'm talking about the kind after a taco dinner !

GodfatherofSoul
09-25-2012, 04:03 PM
Soft dfense means some player(s) isn't reliable so youre holding back to cover for them. My guess its Lewis or Mundy.

Boomerang
09-25-2012, 06:27 PM
Hurts to see our D in such a mess after all the years they were our cornerstone.

suitanim
09-26-2012, 10:12 AM
I can't figure it out. Is it just that people like simple monolithic answers to things? Simple is easy? Or is irrational panic with insufficient data a human trait that we haven't evolved past?

It's not possible for this defense to be old, washed up, untalented and the DC to be used up and tired and the scheme to be bad when we completely shut down the Jets O in the second half last week. Your defense cannot be awful and great at the same time.

A) Oakland got hot and Palmer was in a rythym
B) THEY have an opposing coordinator calling plays, too
C) Regardless of peoples opinions on the absence of Troy and Harrison (opinions I put little stock in), the fact is we were short two starters who have a long history of being not only great players, but GAME CHANGING players.
D) Remember, they were rested for precautionary reasons. Both would have played if it were the playoffs.

This is a broken record. Steelers fans are spoiled rotten babies, and they look for excuses and go on petulant temper-tantrums every time we lose. I heard all these same tired old bullshit responses last year and the year before that and both years we won the Super Bowl. It gets old...

X-Terminator
09-26-2012, 11:06 AM
I can't figure it out. Is it just that people like simple monolithic answers to things? Simple is easy? Or is irrational panic with insufficient data a human trait that we haven't evolved past?

It's not possible for this defense to be old, washed up, untalented and the DC to be used up and tired and the scheme to be bad when we completely shut down the Jets O in the second half last week. Your defense cannot be awful and great at the same time.

A) Oakland got hot and Palmer was in a rythym
B) THEY have an opposing coordinator calling plays, too
C) Regardless of peoples opinions on the absence of Troy and Harrison (opinions I put little stock in), the fact is we were short two starters who have a long history of being not only great players, but GAME CHANGING players.
D) Remember, they were rested for precautionary reasons. Both would have played if it were the playoffs.

This is a broken record. Steelers fans are spoiled rotten babies, and they look for excuses and go on petulant temper-tantrums every time we lose. I heard all these same tired old bullshit responses last year and the year before that and both years we won the Super Bowl. It gets old...

My main issue with the defense and LeBeau is that he did not change things up when he clearly saw that the defense was being shredded, and for some reason doesn't adjust the game plan when key starters are out of the game. I understand the "standard is the standard" thing, but how can you not compensate for Troy and Deebo being out? Isn't that the same thing our ex-OC was excoriated for in years past? Why is it different with LeBeau?

suitanim
09-26-2012, 11:14 AM
My main issue with the defense and LeBeau is that he did not change things up when he clearly saw that the defense was being shredded, and for some reason doesn't adjust the game plan when key starters are out of the game. I understand the "standard is the standard" thing, but how can you not compensate for Troy and Deebo being out? Isn't that the same thing our ex-OC was excoriated for in years past? Why is it different with LeBeau?

I saw that he DID change things up. I saw that they dropped Woodely and Timmons into coverage more. As I pointed out before, they can't both help in coverage AND come up to stop the run AND blitz the QB. Sometimes the gameplan doesn't work, and adjustments are really just shifting to other things you know. The Raiders OL did a fantastic job of blocking and picking up our blitzes, and if you give a vet QB like Palmer time, he'll shred you.

With Harrison and Troy in there, the talent level is IMMENSELY improved at two key positions. Mundy and Carter are a far fall from the apple tree, and the only adjustment you can make for lack of talent is vanilla things out a bit.

Here's all I ask. Two games, JUST TWO GAMES with a healthy defense, before we start firing coaches, changes schemes, switching to 4-3's and the like. That's fair. Right now all these Monday morning armchair QB's assessments are garbage in, garbage out until we have accurate data to draw from.

steelers_switzerland
09-26-2012, 11:53 AM
Here's all I ask. Two games, JUST TWO GAMES with a healthy defense, before we start firing coaches, changes schemes, switching to 4-3's and the like. That's fair. Right now all these Monday morning armchair QB's assessments are garbage in, garbage out until we have accurate data to draw from.

this

X-Terminator
09-26-2012, 02:00 PM
I saw that he DID change things up. I saw that they dropped Woodely and Timmons into coverage more. As I pointed out before, they can't both help in coverage AND come up to stop the run AND blitz the QB. Sometimes the gameplan doesn't work, and adjustments are really just shifting to other things you know. The Raiders OL did a fantastic job of blocking and picking up our blitzes, and if you give a vet QB like Palmer time, he'll shred you.

With Harrison and Troy in there, the talent level is IMMENSELY improved at two key positions. Mundy and Carter are a far fall from the apple tree, and the only adjustment you can make for lack of talent is vanilla things out a bit.

OK, fair enough. If, after those 2 games, nothing changes, then everyone here will have the right to demand changes.

suitanim
09-26-2012, 03:12 PM
OK, fair enough. If, after those 2 games, nothing changes, then everyone here will have the right to demand changes.

What changes?

New DC?

New players?

4-3?

Or all?

If we're going to overreact, I'd like to know how far overboard we're going to go ahead of time...

X-Terminator
09-26-2012, 03:39 PM
What changes?

New DC?

New players?

4-3?

Or all?

If we're going to overreact, I'd like to know how far overboard we're going to go ahead of time...

Oh I don't know...maybe try a few wrinkles? The players all say every summer that there are new "wrinkles" in the defense...how about using them at that point? They would be 5 games in...you try whatever you have in your bag of tricks if the defense is still struggling with everyone healthy. One thing they could try doing is playing more press coverage, like they did against the Jets. Where was that on Sunday? How about giving Steve McLendon some more playing time, because right now, Hampton is not getting the job done. Come on now, you should know me better than to suggest LeBeau be fired, and I know changing schemes is unrealistic. That doesn't mean changes can't be made.

Edman
09-26-2012, 03:57 PM
Schemes can't be changed, but adjustments can be made. We have the Defense and the kind of players that can play a pressure Defense. We've done it against New England last year and New York this year. Both Offenses are rendered non-factors. Tom Brady notoriously made a mockery of the Zone Defense. When the Steelers switched to man, he had his worst production of the season. It's sort of pays off when you're not letting receivers run loose through the secondary, giving them enormous cushions and hoping 4-5 guys get there in time, as well as sitting back and hope a QB makes an unforced mistake. Well, the opposing offenses aren't making mistakes anymore. NFL Offenses have become more patient and more than happy to take what's been given. That has been the bane of Lebeau Defenses for years, and was torn apart by only the elite. Now it seems the whole league is caught on to the act. The legends come and go, schemes that were once cutting edge eventually become outdated, and it's what's happening to Lebeau and his Defense. Zone Blocking has rendered the 2 Gap-Defensive Lineman out of commission, Quarterbacks are becoming more patient. The NFL Offensive Landscape is changing for the new Decade, but Lebeau is still stuck in the 90's.

The Classic Zone Defense is designed to stop the big play, well the Steelers have given up long gains of 70, 40, and 60 in consecutive games. So that isn't working out either. Playing the "We Didn't Execute" and "Lack of Talent" card is the easy answer. Many on here made the same excuse for Arians. The Players weren't executing they said, well, the million dollar question is WHY they weren't executing and why our offense was annually mediocre despite being very talented.

It's quite obvious that what Lebeau has cooked up isn't working. This isn't like 2009 where the Defense would play stout for 55 minutes then crumble down the stretch, this Defense is cooked from start to finish. There needs to be a change.

fansince'76
09-26-2012, 03:58 PM
What changes?

New DC?

New players?

4-3?

Or all?

FIERR TOMLIN AND LEBEAU!

HIERR WIZ AND JONNY HORTON BACK FRUM THUH CARDZ SINSE THEIR 3-0!

CUT EVERYBUDDY AND GIT SUM FREE AYGENSE!

:chuckle:

(I'm KIDDING!)

suitanim
09-26-2012, 04:44 PM
"New wrinkles"?

I give up.

X-Terminator
09-26-2012, 04:53 PM
"New wrinkles"?

I give up.

Hey, go ahead. If you want to be dismissive of my opinion, it's no skin off my back. Not like it's the first time it's happened. The bottom line is that if the defense is still struggling when they are healthy, then they have bigger problems than anyone wants to admit and it will be time to make some adjustments.