PDA

View Full Version : Signing Woodley just became a little harder

BlastFurnace
07-23-2010, 12:08 AM
Broncos lock up Dumervil at 6 years, $61.5M

Broncos agreed to terms with OLB Elvis Dumervil on a contract extension. Per ESPN's John Clayton, the five-year extension brings the total package to six years and $61.5 million with $43.156 million guaranteed
The deal is nearly identical to the one signed by Terrell Suggs last season. Locking up Dumervil is an important signing for the franchise. Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall were rewarded for their petulance with lucrative new deals in other cities while Dumervil spoke softly and carried a big stick on the field. One of the few Mike Shanahan leftovers still thriving under Josh McDaniels, the 2009 NFL sack leader is the cornerstone around which the Broncos will build their defense. Jul. 22 - 11:58
pm et

www.rotoworld.com

Chidi29
07-23-2010, 12:11 AM
And Woodley's going to want at least that money, if not more.

$43 million guaranteed. Yikes!

xX-TSK-Xx
07-23-2010, 12:17 AM
It shouldn't be too bad if a new CBA is in place. Atleast the contract only averages out to $10mil a year instaed of $15-$16. I'm sure Dumervil took less because of the large anout that is guaranteed which will help us if the 30% rule loses its effect.

tony hipchest
07-23-2010, 12:18 AM
ouch.

sad thing is, if the labor situation keeps on going in the direction it is going, and assuming he keeps producing at the same level that has earned him this contract, dumervil will be crying in 3 years how he is underpaid. :doh:

xX-TSK-Xx
07-23-2010, 12:23 AM
I'm curious as to how much of that $43 mil he gets up front. It is guaranteed but I guess they could spread it out.

X-Terminator
07-23-2010, 07:40 AM
The Steelers will pay it, if not more. I'm not concerned.

hotrodder07
07-23-2010, 08:00 AM
And Woodley's going to want at least that money, if not more.

$43 million guaranteed. Yikes!

Probably more. I think the Steelers realize that Woodley is a better, and more valuable player. As long as Woodley keeps up his production this season, he's going to want a huge contract, and we better give it to him.

I'm not too worried, though. The Steelers seem to have a way of locking up guys who are important to the team's future success.

SteelMember
07-23-2010, 08:07 AM
ouch.

sad thing is, if the labor situation keeps on going in the direction it is going, and assuming he keeps producing at the same level that has earned him this contract, dumervil will be crying in 3 years how he is underpaid. :doh:

You ain't lying. Happens all the time.

As soon as a player finally gets what he wants, someone else will eventually get a bigger deal and then want more to "prove" he is worth more, or is "the best" at his position.

PalmerSteel
07-23-2010, 08:33 AM
no one should be shocked by this. one way or the other, it doesnt change anything. woodley will demand money like this. and deservedly so. as long as he doesnt get injured this year, the FO should pay up, since he is still young. i think they will.

Canadian Steeler Nation
07-23-2010, 10:16 AM
Wood is a hell of a football player, he does though benefit from an oustanding front 7 that sucks up double teams all along the line. If he was playin in KC those stats would be a little different and I hope he realizes it.

Killer
07-23-2010, 10:27 AM

$60M for an OLB?

The Steelers?

I doubt it - c'mon down Jason Worilds

Chidi29
07-23-2010, 02:38 PM
I gotta agree with Killer. This might be too much money.

Dumervil got more than what Ware got. I understand the idea of trying to top each contract, but he got over $3 million more in guaranteed money despite having one less year on his deal.

Let's assume that Woodley is looking for $45 million guaranteed. That is well more than double what we gave Harrison ($20 million). Can we justify that when we've had players like Clark Haggans put up 8.5 sacks in a season?

It's definitely best to wait it out this year and see if we have something in Worilds or Gibson. If one of them look good, let Woodley go. We have a history of cycling All-Pro linebackers in and out, and we'll survive without Woodley.

BlastFurnace
07-23-2010, 02:56 PM
I gotta agree with Killer. This might be too much money.

Dumervil got more than what Ware got. I understand the idea of trying to top each contract, but he got over $3 million more in guaranteed money despite having one less year on his deal.

Let's assume that Woodley is looking for $45 million guaranteed. That is well more than double what we gave Harrison ($20 million). Can we justify that when we've had players like Clark Haggans put up 8.5 sacks in a season?

It's definitely best to wait it out this year and see if we have something in Worilds or Gibson. If one of them look good, let Woodley go. We have a history of cycling All-Pro linebackers in and out, and we'll survive without Woodley.

Woodley is one of my favorite players on the Steelers, but I have to agree with you here. I would have a hard time giving him that kind of money too. If the Steelers do it, at what expense of another player?

Chidi29
07-23-2010, 03:14 PM
Woodley is one of my favorite players on the Steelers, but I have to agree with you here. I would have a hard time giving him that kind of money too. If the Steelers do it, at what expense of another player?

Yep. Glad we have the guy too and he's a great player, but finances come into play. We've made tough decisions before, let good players walk, and came out the other side. We'll do it again.

SteelCityMan786
07-23-2010, 03:31 PM
The Steelers will work to give him his money as long as it fits within his value. Woodley will end up coming back. Besides, they know how valuable he is.

86WARD
07-23-2010, 08:15 PM

Here's to that!!

The Duke
07-24-2010, 10:36 AM
Dumervil got more than what Ware got

Now that's just insane! Dumervil is not half the player Ware is. And woodley could become better than ware soon...

If he was playin in KC those stats would be a little different and I hope he realizes it.

Hope he realizes it too. Want rings, high sack numbers, and fair money? Stay in Pittsburgh Wood