PDA

View Full Version : Dumervil signs 6 year extension; $41 mil guaranteed

xX-TSK-Xx
07-23-2010, 12:03 AM
Broncos, Dumervil reach agreement on six-year extension

NFL.com Wire Reports

NFL sacks leader Elvis Dumervil agreed to a long-term extension late Thursday night with the Denver Broncos.

The Broncos did not reveal the length or value of the extension, but ESPN.com, citing multiple sources, reported the extension is for six years and is worth $61.5 million -- of which $41 million to $43 million is guaranteed.

"He has established himself as one of the NFL’s premier pass rushers, and he’s an important part of the foundation we are building with this team," Broncos GM Brian Xanders said on the Broncos' official website. "We are excited to have him as an integral part of the Broncos well into the future."

Dumervil had a team record 17 sacks last season, started in the Pro Bowl and was selected All-Pro. He ranks third in the NFL with 43 sacks since his rookie season in 2006, when the Broncos selected him in the fourth round out of Louisville.

Dumervil signed his one-year, $3.168 million restricted tender in June. Coach Josh McDaniels praised Dumervil's handling of the protracted contract talks this offseason, which he said showed he's "the type of player and person we want on our team. We look forward to Elvis' impact for many years to come."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81941a46/article/broncos-dumervil-reach-agreement-on-6year-extension

Damn. Nearly 70% of this contract is in guaranteed cash. This is the same situation we are facing with Woodley. No wonder the Rooney's want to wait for a new CBA.

Austin87
07-23-2010, 03:33 AM
That is way too much guaranteed money. Silly contract IMO.

BigNastyDefense
07-23-2010, 05:05 PM
That's the only way around the 30% rule is to throw in a ton of guaranteed cash. I can't wait for us to resign Woodley to a deal as good, with less guaranteed cash because we actually wait for the new CBA.

Devilsdancefloor
07-23-2010, 05:18 PM
i have a bad feeling about this i hope they can work something out short term and then give him a long term once a new CBA is in place. i do not want him to be disgruntle in anyway.

ALLD
07-23-2010, 05:35 PM
That is one guy on defense. What are they going to do about an offense? They got nobody unless of course, you count #2 QB Farvebow!