PDA

View Full Version : Raiders FS Huff may be playing a good deal at corner against Steelers

steelreserve
09-23-2012, 12:30 AM
... The Raiders have been looking for answers all week now that they are without both starting cornerbacks, Ron Bartell (shoulder) and Shawntae Spencer (foot). Backups Pat Lee and Joselio Hanson didn’t inspire much confidence last week against the Dolphins.

So …the team isn’t saying much, but Huff may be playing a good deal at cornerback against the Steelers Sunday.

“It’s not that big a deal, really,” Huff said.

http://blog.sfgate.com/raiders/2012/09/21/huff-may-be-playing-a-good-deal-at-cornerback-against-the-steelers/

I know, I know ... trap game, don't look past anyone in the NFL, we play down to our opponents' level too often, etc. But this really goes to show what a world of hurt Oakland is in right now. Imagine if Clark was our #1 cover guy, opposite whoever is behind Lewis on the depth chart and we cut Allen. Ouch. I am not trying to count my chickens, but Ben really ought to have a career day tomorrow.

Steelman
09-23-2012, 12:36 AM
It'd be nice to have a good west outing for once, especially in Oakland -- a place that hasn't been kind to us in recent past. I want to see the defense be aggressive against Palmer early and often and take care of business.

Craic
09-23-2012, 03:04 AM
... The Raiders have been looking for answers all week now that they are without both starting cornerbacks, Ron Bartell (shoulder) and Shawntae Spencer (foot). Backups Pat Lee and Joselio Hanson didn’t inspire much confidence last week against the Dolphins.

So …the team isn’t saying much, but Huff may be playing a good deal at cornerback against the Steelers Sunday.

“It’s not that big a deal, really,” Huff said.

http://blog.sfgate.com/raiders/2012/09/21/huff-may-be-playing-a-good-deal-at-cornerback-against-the-steelers/

I know, I know ... trap game, don't look past anyone in the NFL, we play down to our opponents' level too often, etc. But this really goes to show what a world of hurt Oakland is in right now. Imagine if Clark was our #1 cover guy, opposite whoever is behind Lewis on the depth chart and we cut Allen. Ouch. I am not trying to count my chickens, but Ben really ought to have a career day tomorrow.

I'm really thinking that I want to see the first offensive play be a sixty plus yard shot to Wallace. The start picking them apart underneath for 10-15 yards. NO reason we should be establishing the run tomorrow. Establish the pass, then let it set up the run by pulling LB's back into zone coverage - or sending them blitzing and our RB's running right past them.

ALLD
09-23-2012, 09:04 AM
Would be nice to run a 16 play 80 yard drive that takes 14 minutes off the clock in the 3rd quarter.

GBMelBlount
09-23-2012, 09:09 AM
I'm really thinking that I want to see the first offensive play be a sixty plus yard shot to Wallace. The start picking them apart underneath for 10-15 yards. NO reason we should be establishing the run tomorrow. Establish the pass, then let it set up the run by pulling LB's back into zone coverage - or sending them blitzing and our RB's running right past them.

I COMPLETELY agree with this strategy...

...only small concern I have is Ben getting too comfortable or forcing things and have it turn into an "interception-fest"

salamander
09-23-2012, 09:34 AM
When the Steelers are "supposed to" or "should" have a big game is when they usually play sub-par for some reason so hopefully they play like they SHOULD today.

steelreserve
09-23-2012, 12:11 PM

I think that's the way you have to do it when you have some unproven RBs and a patchwork offensive line. You aren't going to come out and overpower them; it's about making them unsure what's coming next. That's the only way you're going to get the run to work. You're right, coming out with the mentality that "we HAVE to establish the run" is playing right into their hands, and really the one way I could see us getting into serious trouble this game.

HollywoodSteel
09-23-2012, 12:21 PM

I'm with you. I was thinking the exact same thing before the Broncos game. Guess that wasn't the plan.

Craic
09-23-2012, 02:59 PM
I think that's the way you have to do it when you have some unproven RBs and a patchwork offensive line. You aren't going to come out and overpower them; it's about making them unsure what's coming next. That's the only way you're going to get the run to work. You're right, coming out with the mentality that "we HAVE to establish the run" is playing right into their hands, and really the one way I could see us getting into serious trouble this game.

Exactly. Now, if we had the guys to dominate on the ground, I'd say let's go in and establish the ground game, that way the defense is so demoralized, we'd be able to do anything we want. But since we don't have that . . .