PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Depot: Jets S LaRon Landry Fined $15,750 For Horse Collar Tackle On A.Brown

polamalubeast
09-21-2012, 03:10 PM
Steelers Depot: Jets S LaRon Landry Fined $15,750 For Horse Collar Tackle On Antonio Brown

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/09/jets-s-laron-landry-fined-15750-for-horse-collar-tackle-on-antonio-brown/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SteelersDepotBlog+%28Steelers +Depot+Blog%29

bayz101
09-21-2012, 03:14 PM
Landry flew like Superman and grabbed the wrong part of the jersey, LOL.

Brown is a strong dude, so he was never really at any risk of being hurt, in my opinion.

bayz101
09-21-2012, 03:22 PM
Landry maintains he did not "pull" on the collar, but that's not the truth. While I believe he may not of intended to, he did pull on it. His body was literally in the air, and he pulled on the collar as he was falling to the ground. This is what brought Brown down.

GodfatherofSoul
09-21-2012, 04:24 PM
A fine??? Really?

bayz101
09-21-2012, 04:31 PM
A fine??? Really?

Yeah...I can see a penalty, but a fine boggles me.

salamander
09-21-2012, 04:55 PM
There's no need for a fine for that, imo. He got penalized for it, that's good enough for me. Welcome to today's NFL.

SteelerFanInStl
09-21-2012, 05:47 PM
A fine??? Really?

Agreed. A personal foul shouldn't be an automatic fine. That's just ridiculous.

X-Terminator
09-21-2012, 06:02 PM
Another day, another bullshit fine...

steelreserve
09-21-2012, 06:10 PM
|Hmm. I didn't think they gave out fines for that.

Next up: Starks fined $7,500 for holding.

polamalubeast
09-21-2012, 06:14 PM
Hmm. I didn't think they gave out fines for that.

Next up: Starks fined $7,500 for holding

or Woodley for offside

Merchant
09-21-2012, 06:25 PM
That's a pretty specific amount. I wonder how they came up with it..

tube517
09-21-2012, 06:41 PM
Unnecessary fine, IMO

Kornbread
09-21-2012, 06:44 PM
Steelers Depot: Jets S LaRon Landry Fined $15,750 For Horse Collar Tackle On Antonio Brown

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/09/jets-s-laron-landry-fined-15750-for-horse-collar-tackle-on-antonio-brown/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SteelersDepotBlog+%28Steelers +Depot+Blog%29

Absurd........! How are the fines accessed? Is it just one guy who decides the money?

Chidi29
09-21-2012, 07:04 PM
Absurd........! How are the fines accessed? Is it just one guy who decides the money?

They are determined by Merton Hanks (former DB) and VP Ray Anderson.

Chidi29
09-21-2012, 07:05 PM
But guys....the league is out to get us!!!!

Craic
09-21-2012, 07:17 PM
|Hmm. I didn't think they gave out fines for that.

Neither did I, to be honest. The only time I can understand a fine in that situation, is if he is a repeat offender.

Edit: I guess they do, Troy P. was fined for the same tackle last year.

bayz101
09-21-2012, 07:20 PM
Neither did I, to be honest. The only time I can understand a fine in that situation, is if he is a repeat offender.

Troy P. was fined for this bullshit last year.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/09/sources-troy-polamalu-fined-15k-for-sunday-horse-collar-tackle/

Edit: Didn't see your edit. :chuckle:

Regardless, it's bullshit. Much like a lot of the fines that have been handed out, including Harrison's from last year, and Timmons from Sunday.

Chidi29
09-21-2012, 07:20 PM

Yes, they do fine horse collars. It's in the player's handbook. Min of 15K for a first offense.

tube517
09-21-2012, 07:28 PM
Where is the extra $750 coming from? Interest?

X-Terminator
09-21-2012, 07:30 PM
Where is the extra $750 coming from? Interest?

Fines increase by 5% every year, per the CBA.

Count Steeler
09-21-2012, 09:34 PM
Must be using replacement video watchers as well. (I know what you wrote, Chidi, horse collar, first offense 15,000. Doesn't mean I have to agree with it)

You know, this new NFL sucks.

Chidi29
09-21-2012, 11:11 PM
Must be using replacement video watchers as well. (I know what you wrote, Chidi, horse collar, first offense 15,000. Doesn't mean I have to agree with it)

You know, this new NFL sucks.

Well one part of that group is a former defensive back that says it's an illegal hit. Flying in the air and grabbing inside a player's jersey could really injure somebody.

steelreserve
09-22-2012, 12:37 AM
I'm sorry, but this is all still so foreign to me. The way I remembered it was things that happened on the field, they called a penalty on the field and that was the end of it. Fines were for if you punched a guy, or if you horse-collar tackled someone and then pissed on him.

I don't think fines really affect the occurrence of these kinds of plays anyway. Guys are already trying not to do it because it's a 15-yard penalty. I don't know, maybe the league think that's not enough, but on any team I ever heard of, getting a personal foul like that is also going to get you chewed out by the coach and maybe benched for a while as a liability.

ALLD
09-22-2012, 07:58 AM
I believe the media is going crazy trying to portray the Steelers as the dirtiest team in the NFL, yet we keep attracting PIs from the other teams. Wait until Harrison comes back.

Craic
09-22-2012, 07:35 PM
I'm sorry, but this is all still so foreign to me. The way I remembered it was things that happened on the field, they called a penalty on the field and that was the end of it. Fines were for if you punched a guy, or if you horse-collar tackled someone and then pissed on him.

I don't think fines really affect the occurrence of these kinds of plays anyway. Guys are already trying not to do it because it's a 15-yard penalty. I don't know, maybe the league think that's not enough, but on any team I ever heard of, getting a personal foul like that is also going to get you chewed out by the coach and maybe benched for a while as a liability.

Not really. Fifteen yard penalty? To send a message, or to save a 50 yard play? Yank the guy down, hit him in the head, do whatever is necessary and take the penalty. Holding, tripping, etc. etc., when the penalty is less than the potential to probable gain on the play, or when it is weighed out to be worth the message that is sent, every player in the NFL will take the penalty first. Now, $15,000 or so comes with the penalty, even if the refs don't call it. It changes the mindset, making the cost a lot more than the result of the play if the action wasn't taken.

Oh, and that is exactly how it happens, in all sports. I've heard Woodson talking about purposefully taking penalties because he got juked and knew the penalty would be less than the resulting play. Everyone in a baseball stadium knows when a high, inside fastball is coming as payback. Hockey? there are layers upon layers of unwritten and oral traditions about how and when to take penalties and which ones to take in such circumstances - including five minute majors and game misconducts.

If a QB is passing on you all day, a DB would ABSOLUTELY take a 15 yard penalty for a good headshot to knock him off his game. Better 15 yards now, then another 21 points in the next two quarters. Throw in a $25,000 fine? Not so willing now.

Oh, and as for the fiction of players not being fined in the past:

Chuck Cecil - Fined in 1993 for "savage hitting" according to the article in SI. (The fine was $30,000).
Mike Harden - Fined for a hard hit in 1989 that bent Largent's mask and chipped his teeth (fine was $500).
William Perry - Fined for tackle on QB Niel Lomax in 1986 ($2000).

Those are just three that popped up. Sorry, the NFL has fined players for hits and tackles for at least the last 27 years. This is nothing new. The number of fines has changed, but the concept is the same. So what's the next myth about this "New Goodell NFL" that we're going to hear?

Kornbread
09-22-2012, 08:17 PM
They are determined by Merton Hanks (former DB) and VP Ray Anderson.

Thanks for the reply.....it should be controlled by at-least a 5 member board. (as if my opinion counts) the fines should be regulated and have a capped max on them as well...is there a link with any information on it? Just curious. Thanks.

Kornbread
09-22-2012, 08:24 PM
Vikings' Griffen, Guion get fined by NFL Posted by: Mark Craig under Vikings (http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/Access_Vikings.html?c=175011), NFC (http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/Access_Vikings.html?c=339937) Updated: September 14, 2012 - 4:01 PM

A league spokesman said Vikings defensive linemen Letroy Guion and Everson Griffen are lighter by a combined $23,625 this week.
Guion was fined $7,875 for roughing the passer in Sunday's 26-23 overtime win against Jacksonville. Guion "unnecessarily struck an opponent late," the spokesman said.
Guion, who was penalized on the play, jumped on quarterback Blaine Gabbert, who had fallen. He didn't spear Gabbert or hit him in the head. He dived on top of Gabbert. After the game, Guion said he never heard a whistle.
Meanwhile, Griffen was fined $15,750 for roughing the passer by making helmet-to-helmet contact. He wasn't penalized on the play.

Is the NFL broke? Makes me wonder..and yea as someone posted before this new NFL sucks.

X-Terminator
09-22-2012, 10:11 PM
Yeah, the "new" NFL is like the "new" NHL. They both suck and both need to be sent to the trash can of history while there's still time to save them.

GBMelBlount
09-22-2012, 10:11 PM
Well one part of that group is a former defensive back that says it's an illegal hit.

Flying in the air and grabbing inside a player's jersey could really injure somebody.

So could playing football in general. :grin:

Count Steeler
09-22-2012, 10:23 PM
Oh, and as for the fiction of players not being fined in the past:

Chuck Cecil - Fined in 1993 for "savage hitting" according to the article in SI. (The fine was $30,000).
Mike Harden - Fined for a hard hit in 1989 that bent Largent's mask and chipped his teeth (fine was $500).
William Perry - Fined for tackle on QB Niel Lomax in 1986 ($2000).

Those are just three that popped up. Sorry, the NFL has fined players for hits and tackles for at least the last 27 years. This is nothing new. The number of fines has changed, but the concept is the same. So what's the next myth about this "New Goodell NFL" that we're going to hear?

Seriously Preach, 3 fines in 7 YEARS compared to, what 20 fines per week? If that is not significantly different, than I don't know what is.

steelreserve
09-22-2012, 11:04 PM
Yeah, the "new" NFL is like the "new" NHL. They both suck and both need to be sent to the trash can of history while there's still time to save them.

Probably the worst thing to happen to hockey was the rule to stop bench-clearing brawls, where you get an automatic 10-game suspension for leaving the bench. Things have never been the same.

X-Terminator
09-23-2012, 12:18 AM
Probably the worst thing to happen to hockey was the rule to stop bench-clearing brawls, where you get an automatic 10-game suspension for leaving the bench. Things have never been the same.

I can kinda understand that - things were getting a little out of hand before that rule. But it was the instigator penalty implemented by the NBA reject in 1992 and its inclusion of a misconduct penalty in 1997 that REALLY killed the NHL. That's why I always say Roger Goodell and Gary Bettman were separated at birth. In the name of "saving them," they have actually done the exact opposite and completely killed their leagues.

Craic
09-23-2012, 03:14 AM
Seriously Preach, 3 fines in 7 YEARS compared to, what 20 fines per week? If that is not significantly different, than I don't know what is.
I'm sure there were quite a few more, those were just the ones I grabbed from a short search. I'm not saying it's the same thing however. The implication was that the NFL DIDN'T fine players in the past. Even just these three examples proves that point wrong. That's all I was saying here.

Funny thing. I argued that same point with a buddy of mine about 10 years ago.

I can kinda understand that - things were getting a little out of hand before that rule. But it was the instigator penalty implemented by the NBA reject in 1992 and its inclusion of a misconduct penalty in 1997 that REALLY killed the NHL. That's why I always say Roger Goodell and Gary Bettman were separated at birth. In the name of "saving them," they have actually done the exact opposite and completely killed their leagues.
And even funnier thing X-Term, is that referees agree with you. A buddy of mine used to ref, even did a couple Major Junior games. From what he says, pretty much up and down the ranks, refs dislike the instigator rule because it stopped hockey from being a self-officiated sport. Now, there's a whole lot more cheap crap that happens. I still call hockey "basketball on ice" now, but what Bettman has done to Hockey VASTLY outweighs what Goodell has done the football. Everything from changing the name of the leagues and conferences to trying to remove "clutching and grabbing," from officials actually blowing whistles in the third period of playoffs games for penalties that didn't take away scoring chances, to the instigator penalty - it has changed vastly more than football has.

steelreserve
09-23-2012, 12:28 PM

but ... there's more scoring now! That HAS to mean it's better!

steelreserve
09-23-2012, 12:29 PM
Funny thing. I argued that same point with a buddy of mine about 10 years ago.

|What I want to know was, were you the one arguing in favor of bench-clearing brawls or against them?

Kornbread
09-23-2012, 01:18 PM
If they keep on its going to turn into flag football.

Chidi29
09-23-2012, 02:34 PM
Vikings' Griffen, Guion get fined by NFL Posted by: Mark Craig under Vikings (http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/Access_Vikings.html?c=175011), NFC (http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/Access_Vikings.html?c=339937) Updated: September 14, 2012 - 4:01 PM

A league spokesman said Vikings defensive linemen Letroy Guion and Everson Griffen are lighter by a combined $23,625 this week.
Guion was fined $7,875 for roughing the passer in Sunday's 26-23 overtime win against Jacksonville. Guion "unnecessarily struck an opponent late," the spokesman said.
Guion, who was penalized on the play, jumped on quarterback Blaine Gabbert, who had fallen. He didn't spear Gabbert or hit him in the head. He dived on top of Gabbert. After the game, Guion said he never heard a whistle.
Meanwhile, Griffen was fined $15,750 for roughing the passer by making helmet-to-helmet contact. He wasn't penalized on the play.

Is the NFL broke? Makes me wonder..and yea as someone posted before this new NFL sucks.

Fine money does not go to the NFL. It goes to charity.

Craic
09-23-2012, 02:53 PM
|What I want to know was, were you the one arguing in favor of bench-clearing brawls or against them?

For them. In the NHL, bench brawls were the final step in reacting against certain issues, such as running the goalie, or sending out your goons against a scoring line. Of course, the Flyers took that to an extreme in the seventies, and that element of it had to be drawn back into balance with the rest of the game. But overall, I'm still think benchbrawls serve a particular purpose in hockey. You hae a bench brawl in a game, and it's over. It limits carryover to other games.

Then again, the rest of my post (to X-term) already clarified my position, so I can't help but ask why this point blank question?