PDA

View Full Version : On the Steelers: LBs hobbling, but Woodley making a healthy impact

polamalubeast
09-21-2012, 07:47 AM
It looks as if James Harrison will miss his third consecutive game as the attrition among Steelers linebackers begins to add up again.

There is Harrison, who missed five games last season and who has yet to play in any game since Jan. 1 because of a lingering knee injury. There is highly touted rookie Sean Spence, lost for the season with an anterior cruciate ligament tear. There is top backup inside linebacker Stevenson Sylvester, who played in the first preseason game and nothing since because of a torn medial collateral ligament.

"We're just getting them out of the way early," Larry Foote said of the injuries to his fellow linebackers. "Better in September and August than November and December."

At least LaMarr Woodley has stayed healthy, and he let the New York Jets know it Sunday. Woodley, whose second half of 2011 was ruined by a hamstring injury after a furious first half, cranked it up against the Jets. He had his first sack and he had six quarterback pressures. That's half the team's two-game total of 12.

"He had a lot of pressures, a whole lot," said Chris Carter, who has started in place of Harrison at right outside linebacker. "He almost had two sacks.

"He's a phenomenal player. That explains why he has such a great contract and is so widely known around the NFL. He's faster than most people think for his size. He can cover very well, which makes it harder for quarterbacks to read what he's doing -- is he dropping back, is he coming this time? And when he comes, he's not just a speed rusher or a power rusher. He has a lot of weight, strength and is very versatile."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/on-the-steelers-lbs-hobbling-but-woodley-making-a-healthy-impact-654324/#ixzz276koDLIS

suitanim
09-21-2012, 09:38 AM
No, he's a fat slow overpaid bum who can't contain, and can't cover. Arians! Stewart!

Just wait until Harrison gets back. Unless you're going to run 2 TE's and a RB back to block, I expect this to be the year of the the sack for the Steelers. It takes a couple years for these guys to really "get" the role of LB in a 3-4. You can tell when a LB has matured in the system when they start dropping into coverage more.

Edman
09-21-2012, 09:47 AM
But Big Lamarr is an Overrated overweight LB who disappears and doesn't contribute to the Defense.

tube517
09-21-2012, 11:15 AM
Non hustling and worthless! :chuckle:

Steeldude
09-21-2012, 01:30 PM
I love how my opinion is deeply ingrained in people...lol.

He will get paid $13,240,000 next season. He is laughing all the way to the bank. All he needs to do is get a few sacks and the masses will be fooled into thinking he is a god. All hail Gildon...I mean Woodley :hail:

polamalubeast
09-21-2012, 01:49 PM
I'm tired of your stubbornness on Woodley.....He is the best player in the Steelers defense right now

also, I predict that the contract of Woodley will be restructured

Craic
09-21-2012, 02:49 PM
I love how my opinion is deeply ingrained in people...lol.

He will get paid $13,240,000 next season. He is laughing all the way to the bank. All he needs to do is get a few sacks and the masses will be fooled into thinking he is a god. All hail Gildon...I mean Woodley :hail:

Last year, with only 10 games played:

He was the top LB in passes defended (2).
He and Harrison were tied with nine sacks each for first on the defense.
He and Timmons were the only ones that had INT's for LB's.

Do I think that's probowl worthy? Well, actually, yeah, in this era with fan voting - but in a better era? No. But what is his role in our defense? It is 1. Outside contain on the run. 2. Pass: Either defend a pass, or sack the QB. It seems he does those three things pretty dang well. There's not many in the NFL I would trade for him.

suitanim
09-21-2012, 03:47 PM
Why you people still have "Woodley/Arians/Kordell" visible is beyond me. He's so ignorant, if he was a clock, he'd STILL not even be right twice a day.

Steeldude
09-21-2012, 04:22 PM
Why you people still have "Woodley/Arians/Kordell" visible is beyond me. He's so ignorant, if he was a clock, he'd STILL not even be right twice a day.

This coming from the person who thinks Kordell should have never been let go :chuckle: Almost forgot to mention, he thinks Woodley is great, but thought Lambert sucked. I rest my case

Steeldude
09-21-2012, 04:25 PM
Last year, with only 10 games played:

He was the top LB in passes defended (2).
He and Harrison were tied with nine sacks each for first on the defense.
He and Timmons were the only ones that had INT's for LB's.

Do I think that's probowl worthy? Well, actually, yeah, in this era with fan voting - but in a better era? No. But what is his role in our defense? It is 1. Outside contain on the run. 2. Pass: Either defend a pass, or sack the QB. It seems he does those three things pretty dang well. There's not many in the NFL I would trade for him.

IMO, he doesn't contain well or cover that well. He disappears for stretches too.

polamalubeast
09-21-2012, 04:40 PM
IMO, he doesn't contain well or cover that well. He disappears for stretches too.

woodley sucks
Lebeau sucks(why this moron is at the HOF?)
wallace sucks
etc
etc
etc
etc

Steeldude
09-23-2012, 06:44 AM
woodley sucks
Lebeau sucks(why this moron is at the HOF?)
wallace sucks
etc
etc
etc
etc

Why do you feel they all suck? Why call Lebeau a moron?