PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Notebook: Ben Roethlisberger campaigns for more no-huddle (again)

polamalubeast
09-19-2012, 05:52 PM
Big Ben is a big fan of the no-huddle offense.

The Steelers' quarterback is a fan of calling his own plays, too -- something that he can usually do if the offense isn't huddling.

Subtly, and without saying anything that might offend his coaches, Ben Roethlisberger campaigned once again Wednesday afternoon for running the no-huddle.

Asked why it wasn't used during a win against the Jets this past Sunday after it had been used successfully the week before in a loss to the Broncos, Roethlisberger said the no-huddle was brought up only once during the New York game.

"Right before halftime, coach Tomlin came to me and asked what I thought about it," Roethlisberger said. "I was all for it, but we never really got to it."

Roethlisberger also took a veiled shot at fans and observers (maybe even his own owner, Art Rooney II), who champion running the ball more.

"That's (OC Todd) Haley's call," Roethlisberger said when asked why more multiple-receiver sets weren't used Sunday. "He's the one that calls all of the plays. There was no no-huddle. Our no-huddle is usually when we have three wide receivers on the field. They saw something and wanted to run the ball with multiple tight ends and keep you guys and the fans happy, I guess."

If the way Roethlisberger is talking makes it sounds like he would call a pass play on every down, listen to this: A big topic of conversation this week is the alleged predictability of the Steelers' offense, which too often seems to go run-run-pass, respectively, during the three downs of a series.

"That's the key, not being predictable," Roethlisberger said. "That's on coaches to know what our tendencies are on different downs and things like that. We put our faith and trust in them that they'll figure out what we need to do."

It's no secret Roethlisberger had a very close relationship with former offensive coordinator Bruce Arians and was -- initially, at least -- slow to warm to Haley. Are these subtle shots at him? Here's another quote that involves the quarterback suggesting the team would be better off with Roethlisberger calling the shots than with the coaches calling them.

"It seems like on first and second down, nothing's really happening, and then it's, 'Hey, go make something happen on third down, you guys,'" Roethlisberger said. "We've been able to do that on third downs and make things happen."

read more

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-rapidreports/20250147/steelers-notebook-ben-roethlisberger-campaigns-for-more-no-huddle-again--

steelers_switzerland
09-20-2012, 02:23 AM
Well... imho he's right...

GBMelBlount
09-20-2012, 06:20 AM
It's no secret Roethlisberger had a very close relationship with former offensive coordinator Bruce Arians and was -- initially, at least -- slow to warm to Haley. Are these subtle shots at him? Here's another quote that involves the quarterback suggesting the team would be better off with Roethlisberger calling the shots than with the coaches calling them.

"It seems like on first and second down, nothing's really happening, and then it's, 'Hey, go make something happen on third down, you guys,'" Roethlisberger said. "We've been able to do that on third downs and make things happen."

Ben is entitled to his opinion but I don't know if you can fault the Steelers for trying to make the run work in an effort to have a more balanced attack. After all, they did state they have a renewed commitment to running the ball.

Also, while I agree it would be nice for them to do more no huddles, there were still a lot more positives that came out of the game.

Primarily the commitment to short passing game imo.

Roethlisberger went 22-for-26 with just six negative plays by EPA on these short passes (thrown less than 15 yards down the field), for 15.9 EPA overall and 0.61 per play.

All but one completion yielded at least five yards (the exception a one-yard touchdown) for 228 total yards, an 8.8 average.

Dominating the short passing game is an excellent sign for both Roethlisberger and new Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley, noted for his focus on short passes:

http://www.advancednflstats.com/2012/09/steelers-dink-and-dunk-to-steamroll-jets.html#more

Count Steeler
09-20-2012, 09:12 AM
Big picture, keep Ben off his ass and healthy. In order to achieve this, we HAVE to run the ball or short, quick passes. We still need some work on getting the O Line working better or have a better blocking scheme. When we get to the SB, he can play no huddle all he wants.

I have a feeling the O Line is going to start to gel over the next few games, and, I hope they can stay healthy.

GodfatherofSoul
09-20-2012, 09:47 AM
I don't know the actual stats, but it also looked like the running game became way more effective late in the game after grinding on them for 3 quarters.