PDA

View Full Version : Rough start for AFC North defenses

polamalubeast
09-19-2012, 10:05 AM
The AFC North is a division known for its defenses. Last year, all four teams finished in the top 10 in defense and there was a point during the season when they held the top four spots.

The 2012 season has been a complete turnaround so far. Three teams -- the Ravens, Browns and Bengals -- rank in the bottom six in defense. They're all giving up more than 400 yards per game. The Steelers, who had the top-ranked defense a year ago, are currently at No. 7.

There hasn't been a major turnover in starting lineups. Each team that has dropped in the defensive rankings didn't return two starters: Bengals (defensive end Frostee Rucker, safety Chris Crocker), Browns (defensive end Jayme Mitchell and safety Mike Adams) and Ravens (defensive end Cory Redding and linebacker Jarret Johnson).

What has really hurt these defenses has been injuries. Outside linebacker Terrell Suggs, the reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year, is out indefinitely with an Achilles injury for the Ravens. For the Browns, outside linebacker Chris Gocong (Achilles) is out for the season and defensive tackle Phil Taylor (torn pectoral muscle) will miss at least the first six games. And the Bengals have been without defensive end Carlos Dunlap (knee) for two games and won't have outside linebacker Thomas Howard (knee), last year's leading tackler, for the rest of the season.

The Steelers, whose defense hasn't plummeted like the rest of the AFC North, had two former defensive players of the year (James Harrison and Troy Polamalu) on the sideline Sunday.

read more

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/54868/rough-start-for-afc-north-defenses

Edman
09-19-2012, 12:28 PM
I'm satisfied with #7 Ranked Defense, considering the injuries on Defense.

I'm more concerned with the scheme to be honest. The Passive Zone Defense have been gashed and dashed and it would've been more of the same Sunday if Lebeau hadn't decided to scrap it and dial up the pressure. So many guys running free in the Denver game.

fansince'76
09-19-2012, 12:43 PM
Does Hensley have any concept of averages and how a sample size of 2 games (1/8 of a season) is kinda insignificant as far as statistical rankings go? No, I guess he doesn't. The real picture of where a team TRULY ranks statistically won't begin to become clear at least until after midseason.

What has really hurt these defenses has been injuries. Outside linebacker Terrell Suggs, the reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year, is out indefinitely with an Achilles injury for the Ravens.

But I thought Suggs being out wouldn't affect them (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/47545/ravens-can-absorb-loss-of-terrell-suggs)? :rolleyes:

Dude's a hack.

tube517
09-19-2012, 01:08 PM
Does Hensley have any concept of averages and how a sample size of 2 games (1/8 of a season) is kinda insignificant as far as statistical rankings go? No, I guess he doesn't. The real picture of where a team TRULY ranks statistically won't begin to become clear at least until after midseason.

But I thought Suggs being out wouldn't affect them (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/47545/ravens-can-absorb-loss-of-terrell-suggs)? :rolleyes:

Dude's a hack.

But the Ravens' defense won't flinch without him.

Jamison Jackhole, Gatorade Bathgivers Writer of the Decade