PDA

View Full Version : Resting Ben ?

Moose
09-19-2012, 08:56 AM
Okay, we already know that Troy and Harrison will more than likely be sitting out the Raider's game and hopefully the extra 2 wk rest will make us that much stronger coming out of the BYE week and starting our run to the play-offs. Now, I'm thinking of Ben. If the game goes the way must of us are thinking it SHOULD go, do we rest Ben ? I'd like for Lefty to get some game time snaps, but do we pull Ben ? How much should we be ahead before we pull Ben ? I know this is looking way ahead and I don't want to jinx the game by thinking we should win....or even win big. We all know the Steeler's have a bad habit of playing down to their opponent, and sometimes losing the game because of it, and we also know that we've lost many a game that we should have won big. I also know that Ben has a tendency to get hurt and play 'gimpy' for a few games or the whole season. Just wondering if I'm the only one that would like to see Ben get some rest time when not needed to play and let some back-ups get in the games to see what they can do.

HollywoodSteel
09-19-2012, 09:05 AM
If Tomlin ever sat a healthy Ben in a meaningful game then he would be unfit to coach in the NFL. No game is a gimme, Especially not a road game. When we are up by 25 or more toward the end of the 4th quarter, then you can sit him.

venom
09-19-2012, 09:05 AM
Rest Ben after only two games ?? I wouldn't , sorry . Its an AFC game that may be big at years end

wvsportsman
09-19-2012, 09:10 AM
NO! The raiders are an still an NFL team and can be a problem. Any given Sunday, especially playing them
in Oakland. We lost to them out there a couple years ago to a worse team.
Put the best guy's on the field every game and take every game seriously!

Stylez1877
09-19-2012, 09:22 AM
Sit Ben. Lose the game by 3 points. Miss the playoffs by one game.

This is a horrible idea. I don't know what you are thinking and why you'd rest Ben for absolutely no reason.

steelers_switzerland
09-19-2012, 09:26 AM
wow...

polamalubeast
09-19-2012, 09:29 AM
terriible idea

86WARD
09-19-2012, 09:31 AM
Rest Ben? Lol...wut?

Moose
09-19-2012, 09:32 AM
First off, you misunderstood what I'm asking. By no means am I saying to rest Ben for the Oakland game. What I'm saying is, in the 4th quarter ....IF we are up by a couple TD's do you pull Ben and put in Lefty or do you let Ben in until the end. I'm NOT dumb enough to say rest Ben for the Raiders game....GOD, I know how we can lose these type of games, and there are no 'gimmees' in the NFL, and you don't sit a franchise QB except for injuries, etc., etc.. Just wondering IF we are up big, and it's the 4th quarter to you take him out, or risk injury. That's all.

polamalubeast
09-19-2012, 09:33 AM
Harrison and Polamalu would play if he would be healthy

Roethlisberger is currently healthy

polamalubeast
09-19-2012, 09:34 AM
What I'm saying is, in the 4th quarter ....IF we are up by a couple TD's do you pull Ben and put in Lefty or do you let Ben in until the end.

if the steelers lead by at least 25 points.....maybe

bayz101
09-19-2012, 09:36 AM
I agree that if the game is decided by the fourth quarter, sit him. I don't think that'll be the case though.

steelreserve
09-19-2012, 09:50 AM
Uh ... there's a bye week coming up. Ben's going to have plenty of time to rest anyway.

bayz101
09-19-2012, 10:08 AM
Uh ... there's a bye week coming up. Ben's going to have plenty of time to rest anyway.

Well, if we're up 21 going into the fourth, keeping him in would be dumb. I think the chances of this happening are VERY slim, that being the big lead, therefore this thread isn't really discussion-worthy in the first place. (In my opinion)

It's common knowledge that if your team has a big lead with little time left, you pull the valuable and most important players out of the game. I HOPE the OP wasn't suggesting not playing him at ALL, and I hope that's not what you think i'm suggesting as well.

fansince'76
09-19-2012, 10:33 AM
If we're leading by 35+ at half, then pull him. I can't assume it's going to be a blowout, not with this team's history of playing down to inferior competition and its struggles on the road going back to last year.

Count Steeler
09-19-2012, 11:39 AM
I would say up by at least 28 points by the end of the 3rd quarter and any sign of life is gone from the Raiders. And we are having some success running the ball. If we need to pass to get first downs, then no way.

tube517
09-19-2012, 11:58 AM
If we're leading by 35+ at half, then pull him. I can't assume it's going to be a blowout, not with this team's history of playing down to inferior competition and its struggles on the road going back to last year.

We have a shot at a W. Gradkowski the Steeler killer, is no longer with the Raiders. :chuckle:

steelers_switzerland
09-19-2012, 12:06 PM
yeah as soon as he made 50 points for my fantasy, and mike 25 and antonio 15.... then rest him ;)

steel striker
09-19-2012, 02:38 PM
The only way i see that happening is we are up 28 with 2 minutes to go.

Psycho Ward 86
09-19-2012, 03:46 PM
Ben should never sit unless were in the midst of a relentless blowout or serious injury. Sitting him at any game just because we can would be cocky as fuck. I would be damn offended if i were a raider and that happened.

steeldawg
09-19-2012, 04:20 PM
Do not rest players....some of us have fantasy teams to worry about! I have ben starting this week so ya terrible idea to rest him at any point during the game.

tube517
09-19-2012, 04:47 PM
Do not rest players....some of us have fantasy teams to worry about! I have ben starting this week so ya terrible idea to rest him at any point during the game.

Are you an NFL replacement ref? :chuckle:

stillers4me
09-19-2012, 04:54 PM
Is this a serious thread?

:juggle:

steeldawg
09-19-2012, 05:15 PM
Are you an NFL replacement ref? :chuckle:

My cover is blown :doh:

Moose
09-19-2012, 07:32 PM
Is this a serious thread?