PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin Unsatisfied,Unhappy with RB's

LLT
09-19-2012, 04:09 AM
Wednesday, September 19, 2012
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Mike Tomlin gushed about the running backs and the potential of the ground game Tuesday.

The Oakland Raiders backfield, that is.

"All of their backs are capable of making house calls," Tomlin said.

He's not so impressed with his own through the first two games, and he talked about cutting back the number of different plays in their repertoire because of it.

"We haven't run the ball as well as we have liked," Tomlin said.

The Steelers have 141 yards rushing in two games and a paltry 2.6 yards per carry, both ranked 30th in the NFL. Jonathan Dwyer leads them with 71 yards on 21 carries and Isaac Redman has 45 on 23runs. Their other two backs, Chris Rainey and Baron Batch, have six carries between them for 8 yards combined.

Last season, the Steelers averaged 4.4 yards per carry for 16 games.

Among the only two NFL teams behind the Steelers in effectiveness on the ground are the Raiders.

Read more: http://old.post-gazette.com/pg/12263/1262843-66.stm#ixzz26u9vGxup

Devilsdancefloor
09-19-2012, 07:27 AM
Hope they get it going soon cause ben isnt gonna be lights out on 3rd down all year

steelreserve
09-19-2012, 10:04 AM
Again, we're using backup RBs and everyone but Redman is basically a rookie. They're running behind basically the same OL as last year thanks to DeCastro's injury and Adams not being ready. What do you expect?

suitanim
09-19-2012, 10:07 AM
Well, on top of the fact that he'd be bashing back-ups, I still don't think this is fair because A) The line has NOt been opening up huge holes and B) Both Dwyer and Redman (and Redman in particular Sunday) have been running hard. These aren't splash play type backs...they don't have the speed. You don't ask your guy who hits .330 and 1 HR a year to suddenly start swinging for the fences. Dwyer and Redman aren't that kind of back.

polamalubeast
09-19-2012, 10:11 AM
Again, we're using backup RBs and everyone but Redman is basically a rookie. They're running behind basically the same OL as last year thanks to DeCastro's injury and Adams not being ready. What do you expect?

I expect better than the 30th place!

Last year, the Steelers had a 4.4 YPC...This year,the YPC is 2.8....

fansince'76
09-19-2012, 10:15 AM
"All of their backs are capable of making house calls," Tomlin said.

:tomlinism:

fansince'76
09-19-2012, 10:17 AM
I expect better than the 30th place!

Last year, the Steelers had a 4.4 YPC...This year,the YPC is 2.8....

Maybe Mendenhall is just a bit better than he's given credit for?

tube517
09-19-2012, 10:22 AM
:tomlinism:

The book of Tomlinisms just needs a publisher. :chuckle:

polamalubeast
09-19-2012, 10:23 AM

true and here is an interesting article!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1338458-rashard-mendenhall-why-steelers-fans-must-stop-looking-for-next-jerome-bettis

tube517
09-19-2012, 10:28 AM

No, it can't be.

Twinkle toes.

Dances too much.

Indecisive.

Overrated.

No, it can't be. :chuckle:

suitanim
09-19-2012, 10:33 AM

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1338458-rashard-mendenhall-why-steelers-fans-must-stop-looking-for-next-jerome-bettis

While almost everything in that article is true, and simply echoes what many of us have been saying for years, it will still be considered blasphemy to a certain percentage of Steelers fans. There are no more Bettis'. There may never be another 275 back that could move like him and actually play for over a dozen years. Most big backs last a couple years then fade. Look at Michael Turner. He didn't play as much early in his career, and there is already anecdotal evidence that he's running out of gas...

fansince'76
09-19-2012, 10:47 AM
The book of Tomlinisms just needs a publisher. :chuckle:

Yeah, we really need to start cataloging his witticisms at this point. :chuckle:

86WARD
09-19-2012, 11:15 AM
Of course he's upset. It's Isaac Redman and he's not good. "One good game" dost not make thee a quality NFL starter.

A lot of excuses floating around for Redman's poor performance...

86WARD
09-19-2012, 11:17 AM

It's true...fans still looking for the next Bettis...lol. Silly talk.

bayz101
09-19-2012, 11:17 AM
While almost everything in that article is true, and simply echoes what many of us have been saying for years, it will still be considered blasphemy to a certain percentage of Steelers fans. There are no more Bettis'. There may never be another 275 back that could move like him and actually play for over a dozen years. Most big backs last a couple years then fade. Look at Michael Turner. He didn't play as much early in his career, and there is already anecdotal evidence that he's running out of gas...

Bettis was 30 pounds heavier than Turner...

Bettis' billed weight of 252 pounds was a lot lighter than the truth, especially in his final year.

Count Steeler
09-19-2012, 11:43 AM
Is anyone in Steeler's Nation happy with the rushing game? May be time to consider changing Kugler. If the O line can't open holes, it is either a talent issue or it is a coaching issue. Might just be time for a change.

polamalubeast
09-19-2012, 11:51 AM
it is important to not change the o-line coaches to every 3 years!

GBMelBlount
09-19-2012, 11:54 AM
The conclusions that are being drawn after only TWO games amazes me. LOL

tube517
09-19-2012, 11:56 AM
The conclusions that are being drawn after only TWO games is mind boggling. LOL

Didn't you hear, GB? 1-1 = 1-15

Season is over. Hairball is having a gatorade shower as we speak. :chuckle:

GBMelBlount
09-19-2012, 12:02 PM
We are doomed. :grin:

86WARD
09-19-2012, 12:15 PM

In all fairness, the moment they decided to not sign a real back and go with Redman, I came to the conclusion that the run game was doomed. So pretty much an offseason, 4 training camp games and 2 "real games" and so far I was right...but that was just me. Not sure how many others were on hoard with that.

suitanim
09-19-2012, 03:35 PM
Wait, I can't keep track.

Redman now.....................sucks? All i ever suggested was that he might not be durable. He's actually looked okay to me, and BOTH backs have looked good at instead of running into swarms of defenders clogging up the interior, bouncing it outside. Mendy is even better at it (and faster)...

fansince'76
09-19-2012, 03:59 PM
Redman now.....................sucks?

No way! Suddenness and glide! :chuckle:

X-Terminator
09-19-2012, 07:40 PM
The RBs are not the problem. The OL is the problem, and the more Steelers fans come to that realization, the better off we will all be.

SteelMayhem72
09-19-2012, 08:18 PM
we will be fine...lets not panic...only 3rd game coming up...let these guys get even more reps and let mendy come back...wait till about to the 6th or 7th week before we judge.

SteelGhost
09-19-2012, 09:14 PM
we will be fine...lets not panic...only 3rd game coming up...let these guys get even more reps and let mendy come back...wait till about to the 6th or 7th week before we judge.

^This

Count Steeler
09-19-2012, 10:32 PM
it is important to not change the o-line coaches to every 3 years!

Time is not the important factor, performance and excellence are.

GoSlash27
09-19-2012, 10:52 PM
Yup. Wasn't that long ago when we were wishing for the season to start so it would cut down on this silliness.

-It's not the backs, it's the line
-stats don't win trophies
-next story

Psycho Ward 86
09-20-2012, 02:11 AM
In all fairness, the moment they decided to not sign a real back and go with Redman, I came to the conclusion that the run game was doomed. So pretty much an offseason, 4 training camp games and 2 "real games" and so far I was right...but that was just me. Not sure how many others were on hoard with that.

lol...and who would you have suggested we sign at the time? Thugs like Benson?