PDA

View Full Version : Rashard Mendenhall set for first contact practice

polamalubeast
09-18-2012, 03:40 PM
It's not uncommon in the NFL for a starting running back go down to injury only to have his reserve step into the spotlight and make a name for himself.

We're seeing this with the Buffalo Bills, for whom C.J. Spiller is mounting a handsome Wally Pipp campaign in Fred Jackson's stead.

The same cannot be said in the Steel City, where the Pittsburgh Steelers have struggled to find a suitable replacement for Rashard Mendenhall. According to Scout.com, the Steelers are 30th in the NFL in both overall rushing yardage (141) and average yards per carry (2.6) through two weeks.

Fortunately, Mendenhall continues to make progress, now eight months removed from surgery to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament. Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Mendenhall will participate in contact practice for the first time this week.

"We'll thud him up a little bit the day we're allowed to carry our pads," Tomlin said Tuesday, referring to a practice in which players hit each other, but remain on their feet.

The Steelers are dealing with yet another backfield injury following Sunday's 27-10 win over the New York Jets. Jonathan Dwyer has landed on the injury list with turf toe. Tomlin said Dwyer is limited, but could still be available in Week 3 against the Oakland Raiders.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000063695/article/rashard-mendenhall-set-for-first-contact-practice?module=HP11_headline_stack

Moose
09-18-2012, 03:52 PM
Turf toe ? Are you kidding me ? What the hell is it with these players .... geesh. Come on Mendenhall !

HollywoodSteel
09-18-2012, 04:53 PM
Okay, comparing C.J. Spiller to our back-ups and to Wally Pipp is a bit much. Spiller was a 1st round pick and the first RB taken in his draft class. That dude was meant to be a starter. It just so happens they have another really good RB on that team, but Spiller was always meant to at least split time with him until he became the featured back.

st33lersguy
09-18-2012, 07:31 PM
At this point, with the way Redman and Dwyer have looked, we don't need Mendenhall. Those two run with more authority anyway

steelerdude15
09-18-2012, 10:20 PM
I'm glad to hear this. I'm looking forward to seeing how he plays with a new playbook. It would make sense to just keep him out till after the bye week for his health along with Troy and James.

polamalubeast
09-19-2012, 03:09 PM
Rashard Mendenhall said it is possible that he can play Sunday against the Raiders.

https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib/status/248512318906966017

fansince'76
09-19-2012, 03:15 PM
At this point, with the way Redman and Dwyer have looked, we don't need Mendenhall. Those two run with more authority anyway

Guess that explains why we averaged 4.4 YPC last year with Mendenhall as the primary back as opposed to an anemic 2.8 YPC so far this year with virtually the same shitty OL...

steelreserve
09-19-2012, 03:27 PM
Guess that explains why we averaged 4.4 YPC last year with Mendenhall as the primary back as opposed to an anemic 2.8 YPC so far this year with virtually the same shitty OL...

No, this is obviously Arians' fault.

steelers_switzerland
09-19-2012, 03:31 PM
er don't need mendenhall? are you kidding me? only because redman is a power back? he is not the Bus and back then we had an O-Line. Now we need Mendenhall.

polamalubeast
09-19-2012, 03:34 PM

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/rushing/sort/rushingYardsPerGame

steeldevil
09-19-2012, 03:37 PM

I can't even comprehend how your brain formulated this thought... And that you didn't realize how dumb it is before you typed it...

polamalubeast
09-19-2012, 03:38 PM
Jamison Hensley (ESPN): Never a big Mendenhall fan. He really ran timid last year. Mendenhall showed no patience for holes to open inside and wanted to bounce everything to the outside. The Steelers' best option, in my opinion, is Jonathan Dwyer. But this is a position that the Steelers need to address next offseason.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/54901/chat-rewind-wheres-ray-rice

Psycho Ward 86
09-19-2012, 03:44 PM

what are you on

steelers_switzerland
09-19-2012, 03:44 PM
mendenhall had back to back 1000 yard seasons and was about to post another until he got hurt. and all that with Ben throwing a lot and (yes gotta say it) Arians. Yes sometimes last year Mendy tried to do too much but i got faith in Haley. Mendy will be just fine.