PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin: Run Game Needs to Improve

polamalubeast
09-18-2012, 01:05 PM
It was easy to tell that Steelers coach Mike Tomlin was coming off a win Tuesday at his weekly press conference. He became cranky when asked about ...

... something that should’ve been the high point of his week: a 10-minute, 13-second drive that devoured the fourth quarter and beat the New York Jets on Sunday.
Specifically, Tomlin wasn’t happy about the lack of production from the running game. The Steelers rushed 8 times for 31 yards (3.9 average) in that game-clinching drive.

“I’m looking for more than that, obviously,” said Tomlin. “We were able to run the ball and possess the ball. I’m looking for better than that.”

If Tomlin wasn’t pleased about that drive, he couldn’t have been pleased with the 20 carries for 35 yards (1.8 avg.) the Steelers gained on the ground the rest of the game.

He wasn’t. “We haven’t run the ball as well as we would have liked,” Tomlin said. “I’m not interested in assigning blame in that regard.”

But Tomlin did take responsibility, and then he assigned blame: “We need to block better. We need to put the ball where it needs to be more consistently,” he said.

After the game, transplanted left guard Willie Colon took his share of the blame.

“There are chemistry issues; some mechanic issues,” he said. “The mechanical issues w

read more

http://pit.scout.com/2/1222800.html

bayz101
09-18-2012, 01:24 PM
Last time Tomlin said he wasn't happy with something, he fired the Special Teams coach....

Cross your fingers, Kirby. :chuckle:

Psycho Ward 86
09-18-2012, 01:36 PM
omg, Dwyer with turf toe? That injury always means death for a runningbacks season.

suitanim
09-18-2012, 01:46 PM
Huh?

Why didn't anyone blame blocking LAST YEAR when the run game broke down? I mean, DUH.

GoSlash27
09-18-2012, 04:56 PM
You know your O line has issues when even Redman can't reliably gain ground. We've got a MASH unit right now and linemen playing out of position. Things will improve.
Taking a dim view... things had darned-well *better* improve, 'cuz if we all see it then you'd best believe opposing teams see it too and will plan for it.

zulater
09-18-2012, 05:01 PM
You know your O line has issues when even Redman can't reliably gain ground. We've got a MASH unit right now and linemen playing out of position. Things will improve.
Taking a dim view... things had darned-well *better* improve, 'cuz if we all see it then you'd best believe opposing teams see it too and will plan for it.

Redman probably isn't healthy yet either. He had groin and hip issues all summer, and I'm guessing they're still nagging him a bit.

Edman
09-18-2012, 05:28 PM
The Running Game will come along eventually. Thanks to injury, the Stillers are stuck playing with a makeshift line again. Decastro was going to start until he got hurt.

tube517
09-18-2012, 05:55 PM
omg, Dwyer with turf toe? That injury always means death for a runningbacks season.

Ugh

Steeldude
09-18-2012, 06:38 PM
Last time Tomlin said he wasn't happy with something, he fired the Special Teams coach....

Cross your fingers, Kirby. :chuckle:

Wouldn't that mean Kugler?

Steeldude
09-18-2012, 06:39 PM
Huh?

Why didn't anyone blame blocking LAST YEAR when the run game broke down? I mean, DUH.

They did. Your selective reading is the problem.