PDA

View Full Version : Cleveland Reporter:Pittsburgh Steelers are on a steady decline

LLT
07-22-2010, 08:13 AM
Pittsburgh Steelers are on a steady decline
Tony Grossi, The Plain Dealer
Thursday, July 22, 2010 this story
Cleveland Ohio

As NFL training camps prepare to open next week, Plain Dealer pro football and Browns beat reporter Tony Grossi takes a closer look at Cleveland's rivals in the AFC North Division.

No team in the AFC North suffered a worse off-season than the Pittsburgh Steelers.

To wit:

• Franchise quarterback Ben Roethlisberger drew nationwide and civic scorn, plus a six-game NFL suspension, following accusations that he sexually assaulted a 20-year-old woman March 5 in Milledgeville, Ga.

• Receiver Santonio Holmes, MVP of the team's 2008 season Super Bowl championship, was traded to the Jets after an off-field transgression in March.

• Right tackle Willie Colon and receiver Limas Sweed were lost for the season after suffering Achilles tendon injuries in off-season practices. Charles Scott, a rookie tackle who may have competed to fill Colon's starting spot, broke a bone in his foot working out and will need three months to recover from surgery.

Then came news that top draft choice Maurkice Pouncey, a natural center expected to start at right guard, is the focus of an NCAA investigation of the Florida football program. That won't affect Pouncey's NFL career, of course, but it piled on the bad news for a franchise that has declined steadily since winning the Super Bowl in the 2008 season.

At a youth football camp in Pittsburgh last week, Kevin Colbert, the Steelers' director of football operations, said: "We know we have a huge challenge ahead of us. We didn't have the type of off-season that we're proud of."

Roethlisberger may have his suspension lifted after four games. In his place, the Steelers plan to use Byron Leftwich, who appeared in five games for them in their most recent Super Bowl year. Leftwich was immobile when he was 24 -- six years ago. His effectiveness behind an offensive line in disrepair is a huge question mark.

As always the case with Pittsburgh, there are fewer questions on defense. Draft selections Jason Worilds and Thaddeus Gibson will be phased in gradually as situational rushers, per the Steelers Way. But with age creeping up on their formidable defensive front and rock-solid linebacker James Farrior, who is 35, the Steelers need to have an offense on the rise, not on the descent, to remain an elite contender.

PITTSBURGH STEELERS

Full camp opens: July 30, Saint Vincent College, Latrobe, Pa.

2009 result: 9-7, missed playoffs.

2009 vs. Browns: 1-1. 27-14 in Pittsburgh, 6-13 in Cleveland.

2010 outlook: Back to the pack.

2010 uncommon opponents: Tennessee and Oakland.

Rookie to watch: OL Maurkice Pouncey. The Florida center, who had higher rankings than the Browns' Alex Mack in 2009, will break in as a starting guard.

Veteran to watch: QB Byron Leftwich. Reacquired in a trade with Tampa Bay in April, the immobile passer will start while Ben Roethlisberger serves a six-game league suspension.

Training camp issues: How will Roethlisberger's off-season troubles affect his relationship with teammates while coaches ready Leftwich for the season opener? How does the depleted offensive line scramble to protect the immobile Leftwich? Can safety Troy Polamalu prepare for the season without suffering another injury?

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2010/07/pittsburgh_steelers_are_on_a_s.html

LLT
07-22-2010, 08:16 AM
Mr. Grossi is hoping that if he covers his eyes..sticks his fingers in his ears and keeps saying..."they're not that good...they're not that good...they're not that good"...then maybe it will come true.

pssssst....(even if we fall on our faces...we will still better than the Browns)

The Duke
07-22-2010, 08:24 AM
Charles Scott is an eagles runningback. But that's okay, wouldn't expect Grossi to know anything about football, evidenced by his whole article

The browns, heck most teams in the league, would love to be in the steelers' shoes right now, knowing that every year no matter what they have a chance

The browns know their season is already over by giving delhomme the starting job

memphissteelergirl
07-22-2010, 08:28 AM
Hmmm...sportswriter for Cleveland newspaper predicting Steeler's decline. Yeah...real credible. Next...

:coffee:

SteelMember
07-22-2010, 08:33 AM
Yeah, we've had some setbacks this spring, but we could be the worst team in the NFL, and the browns would still be "our" bitches.

There's no Steady Decline reguarding THAT!

LLT
07-22-2010, 08:48 AM
Charles Scott is an eagles runningback. But that's okay, wouldn't expect Grossi to know anything about football, evidenced by his whole article

LOL!!! I wonder if our O-line draft pick CHRIS Scott is related to Charles????

SteelerSal
07-22-2010, 08:51 AM
Hey at least we have an excuse if the above story was credible.......but what has been the Browns excuse, year after year after year.......?

Chidi29
07-22-2010, 08:52 AM

HAHA! I didn't even catch that. Great point.

hotrodder07
07-22-2010, 09:07 AM
The Steelers just had a bad season last year. It in no way means we're on a steady decline. We just seem to have a pattern to miss the playoffs once every three years. Just look at the records since 2000:

2000-No Playoffs
2001-AFC Championship Game
2002-Divisional Playoff
2003-No Playoffs
2004-AFC Championship Game
2005-Superbowl
2006-No Playoffs
2007-Wild Card
2008-Superbowl
2009-No Playoffs

It's amazing really when you look at that. We just have a way of having 'off' seasons. The Browns reporter is just writing this hoping it will be true. There's no credibility there. And I remember people saying the same thing about Plax leaving that they are about Santo. They said it would be a problem for the Steelers to overcome. And the very next year we got ourselves a Superbowl. We've overcome injuries, too. This reporter is clueless.

Killer
07-22-2010, 09:29 AM
The Browns haven't won a meaningful game since 1964.

Only teams left that have never won a SB.

Browns
Lions

Jags and Texans are new, so they get some slack.

SteelGhost
07-22-2010, 09:40 AM
......and the Clowns are on a PERENNIAL decline ..... :rolleyes2:

BlastFurnace
07-22-2010, 09:46 AM
Any time someone from that waste town says anything to you about this...just say Lebron James.

Killer
07-22-2010, 09:49 AM
just say Lebron James.

Burn baby burn!

ha ha

http://www.gambling911.com/files/publisher/Lebron-James-Jersey-070910H.jpg

http://media.nj.com/nets_impact/photo/cavaliers-fans-burning-lebron-james-jerseys-6aac544663555249_large.jpg

vasteeler
07-22-2010, 10:16 AM
The Browns haven't won a meaningful game since 1964.

Only teams left that have never won a SB.

Browns
Lions

Jags and Texans are new, so they get some slack.

i think there are a few more?
chargers
cardinals
seahawks
bills

i am guessing you ment never went to a super bowl

polamalubeast
07-22-2010, 10:25 AM
http://www.bet.com/Assets/BET/Published/image/jpeg/98ee8ec6-fb6a-0d40-156e-c161e71e9358-beta09_fb_LeBronJames_2.jpg

Killer
07-22-2010, 10:38 AM
chargers
cardinals
seahawks
bills

yeah - that too

fansince'76
07-22-2010, 11:02 AM
One non-playoff year after winning a SB is a "steady decline?" OK.

Dino 6 Rings
07-22-2010, 11:14 AM
We'll see how our decline feels when our defense gets on the field and rips Jake's head right off his old shoulders and then we break Gribb's spine as he tries that wildcat crap against us this year.

We'll see how our "declining" 3rd year running back does against their defense behind our O-line that is being revamped with a 1st round draft choice. Sure, Decline. I DECLINE to accept that you have any idea about football and DECLINE to give you a single bit of credit other than the fact you suck slurpies through a straw while browsing the interenet one handed in your mamma's basement!

BlastFurnace
07-22-2010, 12:46 PM
We'll see how our decline feels when our defense gets on the field and rips Jake's head right off his old shoulders and then we break Gribb's spine as he tries that wildcat crap against us this year.

We'll see how our "declining" 3rd year running back does against their defense behind our O-line that is being revamped with a 1st round draft choice. Sure, Decline. I DECLINE to accept that you have any idea about football and DECLINE to give you a single bit of credit other than the fact you suck slurpies through a straw while browsing the interenet one handed in your mamma's basement!

Yep. We will kick their tail twice this season. Something tells me that this team will be really focused this season.

Edman
07-22-2010, 01:58 PM
Any time someone from that waste town says anything to you about this...just say Lebron James.

Meh. You don't even need to just say that. "1964" will really drive them over the edge.

Steelerchad
07-23-2010, 10:49 AM
chargers
cardinals
seahawks
bills

There are even more than that, which proves how lucky we are to have 6. Here's a list of each, which I think is correct.

Never Won:
Bengals
Browns
Bills
Chargers
Titans/Oilers
Jaguars
Texans
Eagles
Seahawks
Cardinals- AZ/STL
Lions
Vikings
Falcons
Panthers

Never Been:
Browns
Jaguars
Texans
Lions

tube517
01-24-2011, 11:24 AM
:yawn:

Dino 6 Rings
01-24-2011, 12:31 PM

gosh, sometimes I sound so angry

Edman
01-24-2011, 12:34 PM
Yep, The Steelers most certainly are in a decline.