PDA

View Full Version : Focused On One Thing-Will Woodley Get Resigned?

steelpride12
05-30-2010, 11:45 PM
Good to see Woodley focused on the upcoming season and not letting the money situation get in his head!

Focused on one thing

By Teresa Varley - Steelers.com

Posted May 23, 2010

Linebacker LaMarr Woodley plans on being a regular at OTAs this spring, something he sees as an important step in preparing for the 2010 season.

“It’s great to be back here with the guys after the mini-camp and get a chance to see some of the rookies again and work toward a championship this year,” said Woodley. “It’s just back to football. I have been waiting to get back to this ever since the last game in Miami when I found out we weren’t in the playoffs. I have been itching to get back here. I still have a chip on my shoulder from not getting to the playoffs, losing those five games, losing the games we shouldn’t have. That still bothers me.”

One thing that Woodley isn’t let bother him is the fact that he is in the last year of his contract and the current uncertainty in the NFL labor situation could make things complicated

“You control the things you can control,” said Woodley. “Things that you can’t control - don’t worry about it. I am just worried about coming out here and playing with my team this year. I am not going to be skipping OTAs or anything like that. That sets me back, sets me back from helping the team get better or helping me out individually.”

Woodley would like nothing more than to have a contract in place before the season starts, but it isn’t something that is consuming his thoughts.

“It would be nice, but it’s not something on my mind every day that I am worried about,” said Woodley. “My thing is to come out here and get better, come out here and help my team win, get back to the playoffs and hopefully the Super Bowl.”

One thing Woodley has noticed early on in the offseason is the work that his teammates did to improve and to make sure they don’t finish the 2010 season with the same disappointment they did the year before finding themselves missing the playoffs.

“Guys did what they had to do individually as far as getting better, working out during the offseason,” said Woodley. “Now we come here as a team you can see guys really did a lot of work during the offseason getting better to help this team out.”

focosteeler
05-31-2010, 12:09 AM
just the way he his professionally and as a human being makes me hope they sign him whatever the cost...he is just a great all around guy

Wallace108
05-31-2010, 12:17 AM
just the way he his professionally and as a human being makes me hope they sign him whatever the cost...he is just a great all around guy

Absolutely, focosteeler. We need to keep him whatever the cost. As good as he is, he's only going to get better.

solardave
05-31-2010, 05:39 AM
I really don't see an extension more than enough to get past this 30% rule. Maybe just one year and then lock him up long term next year. I agree with everyone, I want to see him retire as a Steeler.

ALLD
05-31-2010, 06:44 AM
Franchaise him next season and then a long term deal after. Nothing fancy to reroute contractural intentions around prohibitive rules, done in the same framework as Starks.

polamalubeast
05-31-2010, 06:54 AM
I think they will sign it next year.
http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0901/nfl.playoffs.divisional/images/lamar-woodley.jpg

If the steelers did not sign his Woodley will be embarrassing.

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2009/1210/nfl_g_steelers12_576.jpg

stillers4me
05-31-2010, 06:59 AM
I didn't answer the poll question because I'm not sure when....but he will be signed. And well compensated. I have always been impressed with Woodley's maturity and professionalism as well as his play on the field. I doubt that has escaped the Rooney's notice.

solardave
05-31-2010, 07:15 AM
franchaise him next season and then a long term deal after. Nothing fancy to reroute contractural intentions around prohibitive rules, done in the same framework as starks.

there ya go!!!

steelpride12
05-31-2010, 08:31 AM
He has the attitude and heart of Hines Ward not worried about the money, but his level of play. He is only improving as the season's go on and the Steeler's surely will sign him!

Shawn
05-31-2010, 08:38 AM
Franchaise him next season and then a long term deal after. Nothing fancy to reroute contractural intentions around prohibitive rules, done in the same framework as Starks.

Yep, I agree. I don't think they would let him slip by.

VTsteel
05-31-2010, 08:41 AM
I got this from the PG a couple weeks ago - Smething about the "30% rule" is going to make it tough to re-sign Woodley.

Here's a piece:

" . . . Woodley could expect a five-year contract for at least $40 million, probably more. The Steelers signed linebacker James Harrison to a six-year, $51.75 million contract last year.
With the 30 percent rule, the Steelers could only give Woodley $4.37 million of that in salaries over a five-year contract. The rest would have to come in a signing bonus of more than $35 million. That's not going to happen. Under the 30 percent rule, roster bonuses count as salary, so they could not get around it by using roster bonuses spread out over the five-year contract.
There is no way around it. Unless there is a new CBA by March, the Steelers will have to wait and either make Woodley their franchise player or he could become restricted if this year's non-cap rules carry over to 2011. Both of those would be somewhat of a gamble, particularly if the NFL negotiates a new CBA on, say, March 5 that does not include franchise tags. Woodley could become an instant unrestricted free agent."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10136/1058529-66.stm#ixzz0pVwjAS4K

To read the whole thing . . .
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10136/1058529-66.stm

LLT
05-31-2010, 08:43 AM
This year is going to be unique. There are several young players who might be interested in "following the money"....but with the return of players like Foote, McFadden and especially ARE....there is a veteran influence in the locker room that can tell the younger guys how good they have it in Pittsburgh. They can give first hand experience as to not taking things like the loyalty of the Rooney family and the loyalty of the the Steeler fans for granted.

If they can get inside these players heads they may be able to convince some of them that a "lot" of money in Pittsburgh is better than a little bit more somewhere else.

Galax Steeler
05-31-2010, 02:37 PM
I see no way they are going to let Woodley go the man knows how to get to the quarterback. I think Harrison will be gone in a couple of years and Worlids will fill that void. At that point I think we will have the best linebacking group in the nfl.

SteelerSal
05-31-2010, 03:42 PM
Woodley has worked his way into a position on the defense to not be resigned. He is too valuable and too young to be let go for another team to grab and get better.

I agree with Galax, Harrison's career with us is far shorter (do to his age) and Woodley is still a pup.

xX-TSK-Xx
05-31-2010, 03:55 PM
With the 30% rule, I kind of doubt we will get him signed before this season. I'm hoping for some verbal agreement between himself and the FO that once he hits the FA market we will already have a contract in place.

SteelGhost
05-31-2010, 04:34 PM
I hope the FO can find the way to get him signed long term, he's a scary monster OLB.

Psycho Ward 86
05-31-2010, 05:03 PM
One way or another, it's gonna freakin' happen. I dont it matters whether Jason Worilds and Thaddeus Gibson turn into absolute morbid beasts at OLB, we dont just need starters that are premier pass rushers in this defense, we need depth too. If we cant hang on to Woodley, we are in deep trouble. Just look at the domino effect losing Santonio caused. Ward is on his last legs, and now we have to have a 2nd year WR who has never gone up against anything more than a #3 DB who has to be shoved into the starting lineup. Wallace is primed for a sophomore slump right now. Behind that we have 2 other aging and ok receivers in ARE and Battle, then 2 rookies. If you are comfortable with that WR position right now, you shouldnt. In a scenario where Woodley is gone, we'll have James Harrison, who's 32 and has had a history of injuries the last 2 years, and the 2 rookies Worilds and Gibson. Timmons can always be kicked to the OLB position where he was intended to play, but then we have just Foote and Farrior and likely no experienced ILB's behind them (Fox might not get resigned).

Losing one great player creates so many holes, and Woodley looks like the future and he has the driven attitude to improve. He better get resigned.

MULLDOG24
05-31-2010, 05:24 PM
He has the attitude and heart of Hines Ward not worried about the money, but his level of play. He is only improving as the season's go on and the Steeler's surely will sign him!

I absolutely agree!!!!!

Devilsdancefloor
05-31-2010, 05:27 PM
He will retire a steeler

ChosenOne
05-31-2010, 05:28 PM
I would be extremely surprised if he didn't sign.

86WARD
05-31-2010, 08:08 PM
He's not going anywhere. The Steelers will sign him when they are allowed to pay him after the new CBA. The 30% rule is holding the team back right now. If they offered him 30% above what he's making now, he may just pack up and leave town...lol...

BlastFurnace
06-01-2010, 09:51 AM
I find it very hard to believe that he won't be re-signed. LOLB's that can rush like that just don't come around that often. But, of course, it will come down to how much $$$$ he wants. He won't get anything near Demarcus Ware money, but he may get something close to what Harrison got. Now that Santonio's money is free'd up, this contract should get done.

I hope he does it soon. I want to buy his jersey, but I don't want to waste $$$$ if he is gone after next year.

steelpride12
06-01-2010, 12:57 PM
I find it very hard to believe that he won't be re-signed. LOLB's that can rush like that just don't come around that often. But, of course, it will come down to how much $$$$ he wants. He won't get anything near Demarcus Ware money, but he may get something close to what Harrison got. Now that Santonio's money is free'd up, this contract should get done.

I hope he does it soon. I want to buy his jersey, but I don't want to waste $$$$ if he is gone after next year.

Ya I got his jersey last season so just crossing my fingers as of now.

stlrtruck
06-01-2010, 01:54 PM
I look forward to the Steelers FO getting him locked down to a good contract before the system goes haywire from Goodell not getting a new CBA.

KyleJDavison
06-01-2010, 08:22 PM
I like that idea. I just really hope he gets a contract. Woodley is a complete monster, and I think he will end up with more double teams than Harrison this year. I think Harrison will have a better year this year because of Woodley kinda like Woodley did last year.

Canadian Steeler Nation
06-01-2010, 09:06 PM
I heard on NFL network that a few teams have found a loophole or two, I think they used the Patrick Willis deal as an example. It was with a huge signing bonus.

SteelersinCA
06-02-2010, 12:32 PM
Woodley is going to have a HUGE year, mark my words. Dude is going to be an animal.

Prok
06-02-2010, 12:57 PM
One thing we KNOW about our Steelers. They will NOT let a great player get away. Period.

(nice use of capitilizing words ??) haha

tube517
06-02-2010, 05:08 PM
Woodley is a proven commodity. They cannot let him go like they did w/Chad Brown. He needs to be re-signed.

Chidi29
06-02-2010, 05:25 PM
I'm actually going to take the other side of this one. While I do think it's likely that he will at least get tagged, I'd be hesitant to re-sign him. One, for all the money that'll take him. I am still trying to understand what the 49ers did with the Willis deal, as a poster above mentioned. It looks like they were able to add in a second, smaller signing bonus a couple years into his deal. But either way, you're still giving him guaranteed money, right?

Woodley is going to want Harrison money. He'll likely have been just as productive in back-to-back years as Harrison (Last year and this year, of course) and is much younger. Harrison got $50+ million total. He also could be shooting for a deal comparable to DeMarcus Ware. Maybe not the exact amount of money, but you'll know he'll be looking for something around that figure. Heck, there are reports that Pierre Thomas wants Steven Jackson type money. Woodley will be asking for a lot.

Of course, Ware is a better OLB. The tricky line I see drawn is trying to come up with something that has more guaranteed money than James (That'll also try to create some level of fair market value - I still don't know if $25 million, five more than James, will cut it. You're still looking at five to six years at 30-35 million total. Way low. Maybe the guaranteed money will compensate for the low base? I dunno.) but also not too much where you start paying him more than what DeMarcus Ware got (Which over a six year deal, if we were to assume that was the length, would be 68 total and 34 guaranteed). A stalemate of, "I want more money over the whole deal" versus a "We're not paying you more than Ware" could happen. Anyone know who Woodley's agent is? Couldn't find it.

The basic point of all this is that the 30% rule has dictated a lot of what both sides can (Or can't) do. It'll be tough sledding for Omar yet again.

Not to mention the fact you'll have guys like Ike Taylor and Willie Colon looking to cash in. Another expensive offseason is in store.

One last thing to mention is the fact that we can pretty much breed 3-4 OLBs like clockwork. It can be just as much scheme, as in LeBeau's, as it is about talent. We've taken big hits at OLB before. Greg Lloyd, Kevin Greene, Joey Porter, all have left before. They've all been replaced. Heck, Clark Haggans has had success here. The best thing a coach can do is to have their aspect of the game revolve around the scheme. Not the players. LeBeau has done that.

Psycho Ward 86
06-02-2010, 05:30 PM
You dont toss out a young proven commodity who possibly hasn't even peaked yet out in free agency.