PDA

View Full Version : AB still is a great receiver. Mike Wallace still makes the TD's

steelers_switzerland
09-17-2012, 02:36 AM
I know it's only 2 games now, but something didn't change: Mike Wallace is the guy for the clutch TD's. He has 2 now, and would probably have 3, if Ben saw him streaking wide open against the Broncos. AB is the guy for key 3rd downs. The posession guy. As i mentioned during preseason, they need each others to be great. And we need both, together with Heath and Sanders, to have a quality passing game. I love our receiveing corps as it is right now, i still think our Coaches didn't really unleash them fully yet, but it was a lot better against the Jets. Our passing game makes me confident for this season.

Now all i can hope is that this receiving corps will be here for many years to come. With Mike, who is the guy for scoring.

Austin87
09-17-2012, 06:15 AM
We need to lock up Wallace long term, this guy is one of our best offensive players and arguably our best WR.

ALLD
09-17-2012, 10:19 AM
okay, he is making his point. Find a reasonable long term deal, even if it that extra $1m that is being reported. He blew it open.

steelers_switzerland
09-17-2012, 10:22 AM
i don't think he will disappear again in the second half. i mean it's the nature of sports, that you can have some bad games in a row. if he again has a great season, and it started really really well, i would be really angry if they don't work out the deal.

zulater
09-17-2012, 12:57 PM
Brown is our most reliable receiver so far this year. You don't get touchdowns without moving the ball into scoring position first. And on third down guess who Ben's looking for most often? Hint, it aint 17.

zulater
09-17-2012, 01:03 PM
By the way Heath Miller has as many touchdowns as Wallace. And has accounted for more first downs as well.

The Duke
09-17-2012, 01:15 PM
Wallace really surprised me with that leap yesterday

that was one. I hope he can continue making those kind of catches if he is to get a new contract

HollywoodSteel
09-17-2012, 01:24 PM
Brown is our most reliable receiver so far this year. You don't get touchdowns without moving the ball into scoring position first. And on third down guess who Ben's looking for most often? Hint, it aint 17.

Let's be fair, Zu, having Wallace out there makes everyone else's job easier. Plus he's producing as well. That catch in the end zone was more than just speed. It took great concentration and body awareness. I'm not saying the other guys don't help him out as well. Heath and AB have been especially awesome. I just like having all our guys in that mix

ALLD
09-17-2012, 02:33 PM
Bottom line is we have great receivers and they play better as a group than as individuals.

Devilsdancefloor
09-17-2012, 02:37 PM
only thing that bothers me is after every catch make a big deal just give the ball back to the ref and get back to the huddle one of these times ina critical time you will mess up the and take to much time and have to burn a TO or worse run out of time with no TO left. BUt i think miller is gonna have a huge year along with sanders. The steelers have a great group of WR

bayz101
09-17-2012, 02:37 PM
They definitely compliment each other, but I don't think they NEED each other. If Wallace leaves next year, Brown's performance will still be great.

steeldevil
09-17-2012, 02:46 PM
Wallace is impressing me so far. So is everyone else, but Wallace especially. Backing up his talk with great catches and good short routes so far. He hasn't even caught a bomb yet. Keep backing up your talk Wallace!

steeldawg
09-17-2012, 02:53 PM
Well can you imagine what our offense would look like right now without wallace? I dont mind brown celebrating after the catch i like the fire he shows out there it sparks the team it sparks the fans , i say keep doing it. I would like to see more of sanders he should be getting open more with the way wallace,brown,and miller are playing.

zulater
09-17-2012, 03:16 PM
Remember folks, Ben took the Steelers to the Super Bowl with the very forgettable Cedric Wilson as the X receiver. So yes I like all of our top 3 receivers a whole bunch. But as long as we've got Ben we can sustain the loss of any of the 3 if need be. The point being enjoy what we've got while we've got it. But if it doesn't stay this way forever, don't worry, as long as 7 is still back there and close to being in his prime we'll make do.

Galax Steeler
09-17-2012, 03:23 PM
Wallace is impressing me so far. So is everyone else, but Wallace especially. Backing up his talk with great catches and good short routes so far. He hasn't even caught a bomb yet. Keep backing up your talk Wallace!

The touchdown pass he caught lastnight was 37 yards close to being a bomb.

bayz101
09-17-2012, 03:24 PM

A pass that requires a the quarterback to put a little air under it, or throw it high, is a bomb. That was a bomb.

Psycho Ward 86
09-17-2012, 03:31 PM
the thing that impressed me on sunday that everyone's forgetting about is the toughness and grit from our receivers. Antonio Brown and Cotchery especially took some EPIC licks on some of those drives especially late in the game on that 10 minute drive. Could it be...the Ward effect!!! :lol:

steeldevil
09-17-2012, 04:14 PM

Guess I meant a long pass that Wallace catches in stride and burnt the coverage. Wallace didn't burn the coverage, he made a great comeback catch, which is good to see. So I wouldn't call that one a bomb. But I guess others may.

HollywoodSteel
09-17-2012, 05:40 PM
the thing that impressed me on sunday that everyone's forgetting about is the toughness and grit from our receivers. Antonio Brown and Cotchery especially took some EPIC licks on some of those drives especially late in the game on that 10 minute drive. Could it be...the Ward effect!!! :lol:

I'm certainly not forgetting it. But, yeah, going into the year I'm not sure I would have thought of our receivers as particularly tough*. They have certainly opened my eyes.

*Heath doesn't count. We all knew he was tough as nails. But speaking of Heath, he also impressed in a way that we don't always notice -- his athleticism for his body type. He leaped and stretched for one catch like he was a wide out.

zulater
10-08-2012, 05:38 AM
The Eagles weren’t concerned with Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace’s ability to run anything other than a vertical route. Philadelphia put cornerback Dominque Rodgers-Cromartie on Wallace and had Asomugha take Antonio Brown. “We knew (Brown) was their guy who runs every single route that they have,” Asomugha said. “Seventeen was more of a straight down the field guy.” Wallace finished with 17 yards on two catches — his fewest this season. Brown had seven catches for 86 yards.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2734560-85/eagles-game-steelers-yards-zone-asomugha-mccoy-brown-cole-held#ixzz28hcEYueq

Antonio Brown is the Steelers best receiver, their most important receiver, and the guy who will be on this team for the next half decade of more. Wallace, who knows? He obviously can still completely tank a game. Nice weapon to have, but not at the price he thinks he's worth.
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook