PDA

View Full Version : The running game

polamalubeast
09-16-2012, 09:50 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/stats/teamsort/NFL/T-RYDSG/2012/regular?&_1:col_1=5

ouch....The Steelers are 30th in yards and the YPC right now

salamander
09-16-2012, 10:16 PM
The strength of this team is the passing game. I don't care if we run for 50 yards or 250 yards, as long as we run it effectively when we need to (see the 10 minute drive resulting in Redman's TD in the 4th qtr today) I'll be happy.

oneforthetoe
09-16-2012, 10:20 PM
I wasn't that upset with the running game today. Statistically we sucked. However, we were able to run some when we needed to. also, Dwyer continues to show some signs.

polamalubeast
09-16-2012, 10:26 PM
The strength of this team is the passing game. I don't care if we run for 50 yards or 250 yards, as long as we run it effectively when we need to (see the 10 minute drive resulting in Redman's TD in the 4th qtr today) I'll be happy.

100% agree

But this is exactly for this reason why I want the steelers throw the ball more often!

Dino 6 Rings
09-16-2012, 10:32 PM
Its interesting to watch runs to the left at least. Cant remember seeing much of that over the last few years.

tube517
09-16-2012, 10:34 PM

This

Count Steeler
09-16-2012, 10:36 PM
Let's see where we are with the new offense after about game 6. Like others have said, at least we ran the ball effectively, especially during that 10 min monster drive.

I didn't hear about any major injuries either. If we could string together 3-4 games with the same guys on the Oline, we are really going to start looking better in the running game.

fansince'76
09-16-2012, 10:58 PM
Let's see where we are with the new offense after about game 6. Like others have said, at least we ran the ball effectively, especially during that 10 min monster drive.

At the end of the day, though, it was still Ben pulling our fat out of the fire on 3rd downs. The Cowherball stuff still ain't working. 2.4 YPC including 6 rushes for losses totaling 20 yards isn't effective running.

steelreserve
09-16-2012, 11:14 PM
We're using backup running backs behind a beat-up offensive line. It makes sense that we're not running effectively.

Once we're at full strength and some of our young guys at both positions have more game experience (that includes Adams, Gilbert, Dwyer, Redman and Batch), we ought to be very good at running the ball.

Steeldude
09-16-2012, 11:23 PM
At the end of the day, though, it was still Ben pulling our fat out of the fire on 3rd downs. The Cowherball stuff still ain't working. 2.4 YPC including 6 rushes for losses totaling 20 yards isn't effective running.

Yep.

The O-line is not good. Is it coaching, players or both?

X-Terminator
09-16-2012, 11:37 PM
Yep.

The O-line is not good. Is it coaching, players or both?

IMO it's coaching. The line certainly isn't a bunch of pro bowlers, but they aren't complete stiffs either. There's enough talent on that line to be at least average.

Psycho Ward 86
09-16-2012, 11:59 PM
on the bright side, no injuries today on the O-line! or at least i havent heard of any..

Steeldude
09-17-2012, 12:09 AM
IMO it's coaching. The line certainly isn't a bunch of pro bowlers, but they aren't complete stiffs either. There's enough talent on that line to be at least average.

I pretty much agree. Perhaps this will be Kugler's last season.

A coach that bothers me is the WR coach, Scottie Montgomery. Did you see how Wallace caught that TD pass? He doesn't extend his arms up to catch the ball. He tries to cradle each catch. It reminds me of Burress. Last week Wallace had one down the sideline that he should have caught if he extended his arms up and hands to the ball. Those poor fundamentals should have been fixed by the WR's coach by now. Wallace should watch Miller. Wallace will never be a consistent option on a fade in the end zone if he doesn't learn this simple technique.

Steeldude
09-17-2012, 12:12 AM
on the bright side, no injuries today on the O-line! or at least i havent heard of any..

Hallelujah. I cringe each time I see one of the lineman fall down in a pile

Galax Steeler
09-17-2012, 04:08 AM
Hopefully the line will come together and stay healthy and maybe we can get Mendy back into the lineup as well.

suitanim
09-17-2012, 05:48 AM
Wow...I have to leave this part of the board for now. WAY overreacting and negative...

GBMelBlount
09-17-2012, 06:04 AM
Steeldude

One concern I have is the O line not finishing the plays.

Did anyone see Gilbert get knocked on his ass because he didn't finish off the play?

If I am not mistaken that may be why DeCastro was injured as well?

Psycho Ward 86
09-17-2012, 10:10 AM
even Pouncey but freaking smeared early in the going one on one

Edman
09-17-2012, 10:22 AM
I wish peeps in this topic would stop spouting "Cowherball".

It's not Cowherball. Cowherball is when your run game is stuffed and your Offense fizzles out as a result.

Effective running is not running a lot or putting up gaudy rushing statistics, it's about running when you need to, and the Defense still can't stop you and chewing up clock. When push came to shove, the Jets couldn't stop the Steelers. That's the game I watched yesterday.

27 Offensive Points (On 331 Yards of Offense no less) and a 10 minute drive resulting in a TD says it all. So, I'm not complaining. But what do I know, let's go back to heaving the ball up 30-40 times a game like we used to. Gotta love that fancy yardage and no scoring.

X-Terminator
09-17-2012, 10:59 AM

A coach that bothers me is the WR coach, Scottie Montgomery. Did you see how Wallace caught that TD pass? He doesn't extend his arms up to catch the ball. He tries to cradle each catch. It reminds me of Burress. Last week Wallace had one down the sideline that he should have caught if he extended his arms up and hands to the ball. Those poor fundamentals should have been fixed by the WR's coach by now. Wallace should watch Miller. Wallace will never be a consistent option on a fade in the end zone if he doesn't learn this simple technique.

Yes I did notice that, and it is a concern of mine. However, some guys just don't have the wherewithal to change their style, and some coaches don't want to mess with a guy when what he is doing is working for the most part.

X-Terminator
09-17-2012, 11:04 AM
I wish peeps in this topic would stop spouting "Cowherball".

It's not Cowherball. Cowherball is when your run game is stuffed and your Offense fizzles out as a result.

Effective running is not running a lot or putting up gaudy rushing statistics, it's about running when you need to, and the Defense still can't stop you and chewing up clock. When push came to shove, the Jets couldn't stop the Steelers. That's the game I watched yesterday.

27 Offensive Points (On 331 Yards of Offense no less) and a 10 minute drive resulting in a TD says it all. So, I'm not complaining. But what do I know, let's go back to heaving the ball up 30-40 times a game like we used to. Gotta love that fancy yardage and no scoring.

Ben actually threw 31 passes yesterday, so most of that yardage was through the air (just 66 yards rushing). I suspect 30+ attempts per game will be the norm, so nothing has really changed there. The difference was, as you said, running the ball when they needed to do it.

GodfatherofSoul
09-17-2012, 12:07 PM

That's not always a mistake, that's a WR gimmick to set the defensive back off. A lot of the time, DBs are feeding off WR cues to know when to react. One of the neat WR tricks is to keep your hands down until the ball gets there and let it drop in on you. If you reach up the DB turns and jumps. If your eyes give away a ball coming in, they turn around as well. If you can hold your hands down and not give away the pass with your eyes, you can keep the DB's back to the QB. Randy Moss is REALLY good at this.