PDA

View Full Version : Officials having rough day in Pittsburgh

polamalubeast
09-16-2012, 08:01 PM
The replacement officials got mostly high marks after their first weekend of work, but no clear-headed assessment of the crew working Sunday’s Jets-Steelers game could be so kind.

In addition to the usual lengthy discussions of every flag thrown that turns watching the game into a grind, the officials have made two very bad errors in the second half. The first came when they flagged Steelers corner Ike Taylor for interfering with Jets receiver Santonio Holmes on a pass (not the one pictured, for which Taylor was correctly flagged earlier in the game) that Holmes bobbled and dropped when hit by Ryan Clark. If Taylor was guilty of anything, it was illegal contact and that’s a stretch given the fact that Taylor didn’t appear to hinder Holmes more than five yards past the line of scrimmage.

When the flag was first thrown it seemed that it might have been on Clark, but his hit on Holmes was legal and, as mentioned, wasn’t the one flagged anyway. Had things stopped there, it would be something you could just chalk up alongside all the other iffy penalty calls over the years.

read more

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/16/officials-having-rough-day-in-pittsburgh/

fansince'76
09-16-2012, 08:21 PM
I have no problem with "lengthy discussions" as long as they get the calls right. Yeah, they blew a few, but as Steelreserve pointed out in another thread, they also didn't throw a bunch of bullshit flags for "hitting too hard" like the regulars have reflexively done over the last several years of "Goodell Ball." Clark absolutely PASTED Holmes on a clean hit over the middle and jarred the ball loose, and the refs DIDN'T hit Clark with a 15-yarder for it. THAT is an improvement, and I was willing to overlook the phantom PI they called on Ike on the very same play because of it.

IMO, all the squawking about the scab refs is waaaay overblown.

tube517
09-16-2012, 08:27 PM
I have no problem with "lengthy discussions" as long as they get the calls right. Yeah, they blew a few, but as Steelreserve pointed out in another thread, they also didn't throw a bunch of bullshit flags for "hitting too hard" like the regulars have reflexively done over the last several years of "Goodell Ball."

I miss the old school refs. :chuckle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNoy1yKmcRw

X-Terminator
09-16-2012, 08:40 PM
I have no problem with "lengthy discussions" as long as they get the calls right. Yeah, they blew a few, but as Steelreserve pointed out in another thread, they also didn't throw a bunch of bullshit flags for "hitting too hard" like the regulars have reflexively done over the last several years of "Goodell Ball." Clark absolutely PASTED Holmes on a clean hit over the middle and jarred the ball loose, and the refs DIDN'T hit Clark with a 15-yarder for it. THAT is an improvement, and I was willing to overlook the phantom PI they called on Ike on the very same play because of it.

That's a good point. I've already said that they should be kept around simply for calling roughing the passer on a late hit against Ben. It was still a brutal call on the PI, though. Can't ignore that.

SteelerFanInStl
09-16-2012, 09:16 PM
The officiating was horrendous in the Stl/Was game today and not much better in the Phi/Bal game. I didn't think that it was too bad in week one but instead of getting better, they got worse.

The regular officials aren't great but after this week, I'm starting to think that we need them back.

Nadroj 20
09-16-2012, 09:18 PM
I remember specifically after a fumble recovery. "First ball Pittsburgh" *Points wrong direction* :chuckle:

salamander
09-16-2012, 10:19 PM
But DA STEALERS PAY DA REFS! :chuckle:

st33lersguy
09-16-2012, 11:23 PM
Two bad calls, one was Taylor getting called for PI when he didn't touch smokey as Smokey dropped the ball. The second was the review of the Redman run. Clearly he was down 3 yards behind line of scrimmage yet the ruled him down for a 5 yard gain

steelreserve
09-16-2012, 11:29 PM
I didn't think it was any worse than usual. The regular refs blow two or three calls a game against us anyway, as well as probably an equal amount the other way. Ours are usually personal fouls on third-and-long, which is infuriating. Clark's hit would've almost certainly been called a personal foul even though it was perfectly legal.

Phantom pass interference is nothing new either. I'm sure we haven't all forgotten the call on one of Flacco's 50-yard junkballs last year that helped cost us the game.

Like many, I am extremely happy to see the lack of personal fouls except when they're really deserved. Which is how football is supposed to be played, and I assume how they still play it in most other leagues where the replacement refs are from. Anywhere other than the NFL, people wouldn't put up with the bullshit; they'd have quit watching long ago.

Texasteel
09-17-2012, 05:38 AM
Two bad calls, one was Taylor getting called for PI when he didn't touch smokey as Smokey dropped the ball. The second was the review of the Redman run. Clearly he was down 3 yards behind line of scrimmage yet the ruled him down for a 5 yard gain

They weren't reviewing the knee down, I doubt if they looked at that part of the tape.

The one play that stands out to me,as well, is Clarks, let me help you exhaile that smoke, hit. Taylor did not touch Holmes, and if they called the PI on Clark they clearly don't understand football, or the rules. Other than that the game was exceptable, its just that the one extreamly bad call still hanges in my mind.

Craic
09-17-2012, 07:32 PM
IMO, this game was called evenly. Not necessarily accurately, but evenly. After that horrible PI call on Taylor, we got a make up call on that third down play (least I think it was third down). It was a very ticky-tack penalty, if any penalty at all, and it extended a drive.

I guess, in the end, all you can really hope for is an evenly called game. I mean, even when the reg. refs are in there, you have 22 bodies at their size going as fast as they are, and purposefully trying to hide half the crap they do from the refs.

I know in hockey, an NFL ref usually only sees something like 40% of the game. I'd imagine it's about the same for any given ref in football.

ALLD
09-17-2012, 07:50 PM
Brown got whacked out of bounds a couple of times and that was not called. We won, but it doesn't make it right. The solution would be to put a squad of refs in the booth and let them use some kind of green/red light or clock to keep the play going or to stop it. That would fix most of the bad calls. Then it would only come down to a few odd plays per week.