PDA

View Full Version : Worst Steelers defense since?

zulater
09-16-2012, 04:21 PM
How bad is our defense this year compared to previous Steeler defense's?

I say you have to go back to the late 90's.

No Harrison and Troy = Doom!

Harrison and Troy were LeBeau's wart make up. The sad fact is without them playing at a dominant level everyone else on the D is revealed as ordinary or less.

XxKnightxX
09-16-2012, 04:23 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/17/py6a6a8e.jpg

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Edman
09-16-2012, 04:40 PM
Worst Defense since...

When was the last time it was this bad? I think 2002-2003 is the last good time I've seen a Steelers Defense this consistently bad. This isn't 2009 where the D collapsed near the end of games, it's bad from the get go. Just totally bad.

Time to send Lebeau out to pasture. This D hit the wall. His Defense just isn't getting it done anymore. Not Old, but slow and it's over.

steelerdude15
09-16-2012, 04:44 PM
Everyone take a deep breathe. We're only a game and a half into the season.

Edman
09-16-2012, 04:51 PM

This isn't Peyton Manning we're playing this week, this is Mark Sanchez, and he's shredding us.

zulater
09-16-2012, 05:03 PM

I'm hoping I look like an idiot at the end of the day for posting this thread! :doh: :lol:

Count Steeler
09-16-2012, 05:05 PM
Let's talk when they get healthy.

zulater
09-16-2012, 05:09 PM
Let's talk when they get healthy.

I'm not sure I'd bank on them ever being close to what they were. And if they're not where does that leave us?

That's the point of this thread. Other players need to step up!

Edman
09-16-2012, 05:15 PM
Looks like this thread is working.

This Defense blows.

zulater
09-16-2012, 05:15 PM
Looks like this thread is working. The Defense is gaining steam.

The Jets haven't been able to mount a drive since the 2nd Quarter.

Shhhh! You'll ruin it!

Count Steeler
09-16-2012, 05:16 PM
I'm not sure I'd bank on them ever being close to what they were. And if they're not where does that leave us?

That's the point of this thread. Other players need to step up!

The trouble is the young guys have to earn LeBeau's trust to the level of Polamalu and Harrison. That is not going to happen in 4 or 5 games. He definitely is not as exotic when Troy is out of the game. In my opinion, we are not going to be able to judge this defense until LeBeau let's them play. Sean Spence would have been a good plug in as a red rover kind of player.

Edman
09-16-2012, 05:31 PM
Shhhh! You'll ruin it!

This Defense sucks.

Count Steeler
09-16-2012, 05:35 PM
The Offense sucks as well!

tube517
09-16-2012, 05:40 PM
Special teams suck

Count Steeler
09-16-2012, 05:41 PM
Tomlin, LeBeau and Haley should be fired after this game. Pathetic display of Steelers football.

7SteelGal43
09-16-2012, 05:48 PM

^ this...i mean COME ON

tube517
09-16-2012, 05:51 PM
^ this...i mean COME ON

You are not understanding this thread :chuckle:

XxKnightxX
09-16-2012, 06:17 PM
FIRE ARIANS!!! Oh wait :chuckle:

polamalubeast
09-16-2012, 06:23 PM
seriously,the overreaction are pathetic

great game of the steelers defense without Polamalu and Harrison

as I said last week, the Steelers will not play against Peyton Manning every week

Count Steeler
09-16-2012, 06:27 PM
seriously,the overreaction are pathetic

great game of the steelers defense without Polamalu and Harrison

as I said last week, the Steelers will not play against Peyton Manning every week

Steelers Universe, beware. This thread is extremely sarcastic. Don't take a hairy fit.

The defense performed admirably after the first quarter.

zulater
09-16-2012, 06:30 PM
FIRE ARIANS!!! Oh wait :chuckle:

This! :chuckle:

polamalubeast
09-16-2012, 06:32 PM
9/26 135 yards for Sanchez

tube517
09-16-2012, 06:32 PM
Steelers Universe, beware. This thread is extremely sarcastic. Don't take a hairy fit.

The defense performed admirably after the first quarter.

This.

steelpride12
09-16-2012, 06:35 PM
HAHAHAHAHA Hilarious thread since the Steelers D played lights out from the 2nd quarter till the end!

fansince'76
09-16-2012, 06:35 PM
More bump and run, LeBeau. Please. Don't just play it against the lower echelon QBs like Sanchez - do it against EVERYONE.

Edman
09-16-2012, 06:36 PM
The Jets didn't score again after the half.

This defense is garbage.

whodat1
09-16-2012, 06:43 PM
I logged on after the game and this is the first thread I read. I got to admit that you guys got me up to about the 5th or 6th post. I was wondering if you were watching the same game that I had been. Then I realized that it was satire.

On another note, was anyone impressed with Dwyer? I thought he looked like a real running back.

stillers4me
09-16-2012, 06:45 PM
We are old and slow.

steelpride12
09-16-2012, 06:50 PM
Thread of the year right here hahahaha! Please it almost deserves a sticky! :)

stillers4me
09-16-2012, 06:53 PM
Aditi Kinkhabwala‏@AKinkhabwalaBrett Keisel says defense just calmed down after Jets scored on 1st two drives. And said: So much for Steelers having an old defense.

GodfatherofSoul
09-16-2012, 07:06 PM
I'm hoping I look like an idiot at the end of the day for posting this thread! :doh: :lol:

"Wish Granted!" Dick Lebeau

Psycho Ward 86
09-16-2012, 07:16 PM
great defensive effort. Still disappointed that we didnt have a single defensive turnover

Steeldude
09-16-2012, 07:22 PM
The defense did not play that well. This is like people thinking the defense played well last year.

fansince'76
09-16-2012, 07:25 PM
The defense did not play that well. This is like people thinking the defense played well last year.

To be honest, it didn't do much to wash the bad taste from my mouth after watching Peyton play pitch and catch with his receivers while our DBs played 15 yards off all freaking night last week, either.

After all, it WAS Mark Sanchez...

polamalubeast
09-16-2012, 07:26 PM

10/27 for Sanchez......

you're never happy

polamalubeast
09-16-2012, 07:27 PM
To be honest, it didn't do much to wash the bad taste from my mouth after watching Peyton play pitch and catch with his receivers while our DBs played 15 yards off all freaking night last week, either.

After all, it WAS Mark Sanchez...

and it was PEYTON MANNING,last week

fansince'76
09-16-2012, 07:31 PM
and it was PEYTON MANNING,last week

Who hadn't played in a real game up to that point in almost 2 years (Collinsworth only mentioned it about 1,000 times amidst all the other knobslobbing he did). And you'd think Demaryius Thomas was a top 5 WR the way he's burnt us the last 2 times we've faced him.

It's better than 2009 when we let scrubs beat us (see Bruce Gradkowski in the Oakland game) as well as legit QBs, though.

86WARD
09-16-2012, 07:34 PM
Beginning of the game the defense was horrid, couldn't stop the run and had no answer for the short passing game. Buckled down and got the job done. Looked solid after the Jets two scores...

polamalubeast
09-16-2012, 07:34 PM
Who hadn't played in a real game up to that point in almost 2 years (Collinsworth only mentioned it about 1,000 times amidst all the other knobslobbing he did). And you'd think Demaryius Thomas was a top 5 WR the way he's burnt us the last 2 times we've faced him.

It's better than 2009 when we let scrubs beat us (see Bruce Gradkowski in the Oakland game) as well as legit QBs, though.

Peyton Manning had destroyed the 49ers defense in pre-season

And I do not care if it was a pre-season game

polamalubeast
09-16-2012, 07:37 PM
also, the Steelers played without Polamalu and Harrison against the jets

Best game of the steelers without Polamalu since 2007

fansince'76
09-16-2012, 07:38 PM
Peyton Manning had destroyed the 49ers defense in pre-season

And I do not care if it was a pre-season game

Preseason vs regular season - 2 completely different animals. Look at the 2008 Lions as proof of that.

polamalubeast
09-16-2012, 07:39 PM
Preseason vs regular season - 2 completely different animals. Look at the 2008 Lions as proof of that.

The lions is an exception, not the rule

the steelers are 19-6 in pre-season since 2007

X-Terminator
09-16-2012, 07:42 PM
The Steelers' defense is not the Steelers' defense if they are not forcing turnovers and getting sacks. So far in 2 games, they haven't gotten much of either one. They did, however, allow just 216 yards of total offense today, which isn't too shabby.

fansince'76
09-16-2012, 07:44 PM
The lions is an exception, not the rule

the steelers are 19-6 in pre-season since 2007

The Colts were 1-3 in the preseason in 2006 and went on to win the Super Bowl. They were 1-3 in the preseason in 2009 and went on to play in the Super Bowl. The preseason isn't much more than a player evaluation period. That's it. Vanilla schemes, no real game planning. Glorified scrimmages, except MAYBE the 3rd game in, and even then teams play it close to the vest.

polamalubeast
09-16-2012, 07:49 PM
The record is not important in pre-season, but you like to see your starters play well

The Colts have always been bad in pre-season because the starters played very little and the backup QB was horrible

The game against the 49ers ... the broncos lost this game, but Peyton Manning has been incredible(2 TD,one FG in 3 drive)

fansince'76
09-16-2012, 07:54 PM
The record is not important in pre-season, but you like to see your starters play well

The Colts have always been bad in pre-season because the starters played very little and the backup QB was horrible

The game against the 49ers ... the broncos lost this game, but Peyton Manning has been incredible(2 TD,one FG in 3 drive)

Well, I prefer my starters to escape uninjured, more than anything else - we didn't didn't fare real well on that front this preseason. As always, I'm cautiously optimistic, and happy we won, but I'm reserving judgment until the defense performs well against a better offense than the Jets. I expect them to do what they did today against Shonn Greene, Santonio Holmes and a whole lot of nothing everywhere else.

polamalubeast
09-16-2012, 07:57 PM
but I'm reserving judgment until the defense performs well against a better offense than the Jets.

100% agree

but remember that the Steelers were playing without Polamalu and Harrison today and even if it is against a bad offense, I'm glad this performence

The defense dominated after the first two drives of the jets

zulater
09-16-2012, 08:02 PM
100% agree

but remember that the Steelers were playing without Polamalu and Harrison today and even if it is against a bad offense, I'm glad this performence

The defense dominated after the first two drives of the jets

If you're counting on Harrison or Troy to play at an elite level this year chances are you'll be disappointed.

polamalubeast
09-16-2012, 08:04 PM
I not expect that Polamalu and Harrison to be like in 2008, but I think that the Steelers are a better team with Harrison and Polamalu in the lineup

oneforthetoe
09-16-2012, 08:11 PM
The d was fine. You can only beat the team you are playing on any given day. Obviously, we will give up some points against elite qbs - but which teams don't. Frankly, I'm more interested in seeing how our run d stands up to the Ravens running game, or the Texans if we play them in the post season.

zulater
09-16-2012, 08:15 PM
I not expect that Polamalu and Harrison to be like in 2008, but I think that the Steelers are a better team with Harrison and Polamalu in the lineup

That's fair.

steelpride12
09-16-2012, 08:17 PM
You guys can argue all day about anything, but still at 9:17 PM EST this is the most hilarious thread in the world.

Psycho Ward 86
09-16-2012, 08:26 PM
also, the Steelers played without Polamalu and Harrison against the jets

Best game of the steelers without Polamalu since 2007

and the jets played without Revis. Steeldude is right, this was a typical "good" defensive effort by our defense similiar to that of last season. Few sacks, no turnovers against a turnover prone offense. It's worrisome. Somewhere down the road we will pay for it, just like last year. It just happened to happen against one of the most embarassing QB's to get thrashed by last season in the playoffs...

steelerdude15
09-16-2012, 09:12 PM
You guys can argue all day about anything, but still at 9:17 PM EST this is the most hilarious thread in the world.

Don't you and I have to talk about the Pirates.... or random drunken messages? :rofl2:

venom
09-16-2012, 09:25 PM
Tom Brady is gay ?

Steeldude
09-16-2012, 09:28 PM
10/27 for Sanchez......

Thank you for proving my point.

You like mediocrity against a poor opponent. We can't all be like you. Some people expect more and know more is needed.

You probably thought Woodley played great. After all, he had a sack :chuckle:

Psycho Ward 86
09-16-2012, 09:35 PM

You like mediocrity against a poor opponent. We can't all be like you. Some people expect more and know more is needed.

exactly. our so called #1 pass defense was such a fallacy last year. Hardly any great defensive performances against good quarterbacks except for maybe brady

polamalubeast
09-16-2012, 09:36 PM

you were saying Friday that the Steelers were going to have a bad game against the jets, because that Lebeau was too passive

And Woodley has put several pressure on Sanchez today...great game of Woodley

polamalubeast
09-16-2012, 09:37 PM
exactly. our so called #1 pass defense was such a fallacy last year. Hardly any great defensive performances against good quarterbacks except for maybe brady

I do not think the Steelers defense is the best in the NFL, but the defense is not bad as the last two game against Denver

steelpride12
09-16-2012, 09:40 PM
Don't you and I have to talk about the Pirates.... or random drunken messages? :rofl2:

The Pirates have made me so angry recently I cannot even speak about them. There is not enough alcohol in the world to set me straight with them right now.

Count Steeler
09-16-2012, 09:46 PM
Our defense needs work. However, a game like today SHOULD go a long way to build some confidence in the secondary and the D Line. It was good to see the secondary have their own huddle/prayer session after the first 2 drives.

I don't understand the passive defense by LeBeau against certain QBs.

Steeldude
09-16-2012, 11:39 PM
you were saying Friday that the Steelers were going to have a bad game against the jets, because that Lebeau was too passive

And Woodley has put several pressure on Sanchez today...great game of Woodley

I saw one pressure and a sack. Again, you are fixated on sacks, as I pointed out :chuckle: LBs do more than sack QBs. What else did he do? No wonder why you like Woodley. You have no expectations other than putting on a uniform. Worilds had a sack last week so I guess he played great too...lol.

Lebeau has a history of playing a passive defense with Polamalu out. He admitted the season Polamalu was injured that he was passive. Thankfully he did not routinely keep the CBs 8 to 10 yards off as he has done so often in the past.

Again, you are satisfied with mediocrity as the ultimate plane of success. Thankfully you are not the GM. If you were we would still have Porter here while Harrison rots on the bench. BR would have never been drafted either.

By the way, how did the defense do against a good QB last week?

Steeldude
09-16-2012, 11:42 PM
Our defense needs work. However, a game like today SHOULD go a long way to build some confidence in the secondary and the D Line. It was good to see the secondary have their own huddle/prayer session after the first 2 drives.

I don't understand the passive defense by LeBeau against certain QBs.

Agreed. It will help their confidence, but I hope they don't think they're all that now. Timmons appeared to be more active this week. I am still waiting/hoping for him to break out and take control of games

polamalubeast
09-16-2012, 11:57 PM
I saw one pressure and a sack. Again, you are fixated on sacks, as I pointed out LBs do more than sack QBs. What else did he do? No wonder why you like Woodley. You have no expectations other than putting on a uniform. Worilds had a sack last week so I guess he played great too...lol.

Woodley made several pressure ... you're blind if you have not seen

Again, you are satisfied with mediocrity as the ultimate plane of success. Thankfully you are not the GM. If you were we would still have Porter here while Harrison rots on the bench. BR would have never been drafted either.

you are right.....3 super bowl apparence since 2005=mediocrity......I am very satisfied with this mediocrity

By the way, how did the defense do against a good QB last week?

bad,but it was just one game(same for today)

Steeldude
09-17-2012, 12:27 AM
Woodley made several pressure ... you're blind if you have not seen

Ok, let's say he made several pressures. What else did he do? I explained to you more than once that a LB does more than sack QBs.

you are right.....3 super bowl apparence since 2005=mediocrity......I am very satisfied with this mediocrity

Are we talking about seasons in the past or the game this Sunday? You are content with mediocrity. As I said, not everyone shares your enthusiasm of beating a team with a poor QB...but one member said, it's a confidence builder.

bad,but it was just one game(same for today)

Seems to be the usual theme against good QBs, doesn't it?

The defense did not look impressive against the Jets. Many misfires by Sanchez along with drops by his receivers. Yes, the defense did get it done, but did they really do anything that great? Keep in mind the offense kept the ball for over 36 minutes.

polamalubeast
09-17-2012, 12:37 AM
Are we talking about seasons in the past or the game this Sunday? You are content with mediocrity. As I said, not everyone shares your enthusiasm of beating a team with a poor QB...but one member said, it's a confidence builder.

a victory of 27-10 is always positive, no matter who you play against

of course it's not perfect, but the important thing is to be hot at the right time

Ok, let's say he made several pressures. What else did he do? I explained to you more than once that a LB does more than sack QBs.

Woodley is paid 10 million per year to put pressure on the opposing QB

Of course, some time in the game, he was in coverage and it was not a problem for the steelers

B+ for woodley vs the jets

Seems to be the usual theme against good QBs, doesn't it?

The defense did not look impressive against the Jets. Many misfires by Sanchez along with drops by his receivers. Yes, the defense did get it done, but did they really do anything that great? Keep in mind the offense kept the ball for over 36 minutes.

this is week 2

of course this is not perfect and the Steelers need to make improvements

Steeldude
09-17-2012, 12:59 AM
of course this is not perfect and the Steelers need to make improvements

And there you go. My point is improvement is needed.

Woodley is paid 10 million per year to put pressure on the opposing QB

That's only part of the job. The job is also to keep the offense from doing anything positive aka play defense(coverage, containment, tackling etc...)

suitanim
09-17-2012, 05:46 AM
Arians!
Woodley!
Kordell Stewart!

The defense was slow to start against the Jets scripted plays (and Sparano called a Helluva game yesterday), but got better and more fired up as the game went on. Woodley, of course, had a TE on him for much of the game as predicted. The D will be fine...

Texasteel
09-17-2012, 05:50 AM
Personally, I thought Woodley did a pretty good job, but I understand what you are saying, hopefully they all will improve. I thought the whole defence came out tight and not ready to play, particularly DBs. It looked to me that as the DBs loosened up and started playing better so did the rest of the defence. Hopefully this will not happen again, we can't spot every team the first quarter and a half.

Count Steeler
09-17-2012, 08:58 AM
Agreed. It will help their confidence, but I hope they don't think they're all that now. Timmons appeared to be more active this week. I am still waiting/hoping for him to break out and take control of games

I think they realize that they are not "all that". And I agree, it was good to see a game where Timmons was not invisible. Hope he builds on that and evolves into the leader in the middle.

And he may get fined for the hit on Sanchez, but that is the kind of aggression I want to see from him. He has the ability to control a game, need to see more of it.

steelers_switzerland
09-17-2012, 09:34 AM
Personally, I thought Woodley did a pretty good job, but I understand what you are saying, hopefully they all will improve. I thought the whole defence came out tight and not ready to play, particularly DBs. It looked to me that as the DBs loosened up and started playing better so did the rest of the defence. Hopefully this will not happen again, we can't spot every team the first quarter and a half.

This.

I was pleased with the play of Woodley. I mean he had a sack, a tackle for loss, 2 QB hits and some more pressures... did he get beat on a play? If so, i didn't see it... I thought he had a very good game and i think he'll have many more this year.