PDA

View Full Version : On the Steelers: James Harrison will not play Sunday

polamalubeast
09-14-2012, 11:22 AM
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

His body again did not match the promises that outside linebacker James Harrison continued to issue.

At noon Thursday, he said, "I'm great, I'm full go, I'm playing on Sunday. Run it." He added, "I've been known to lie."

And then Harrison did not run at all and did not step foot on the practice field. He missed his fourth consecutive practice sandwiched around a missed season opener.

Instead of full-go, Harrison looks like a no-go again Sunday when the Steelers play the New York Jets at Heinz Field. And it's possible the No. 1 defense from last season will face the No. 1 scoring offense after the first week of this season without two former NFL defensive players of the year.

Troy Polamalu, who has a calf injury, also did not practice for the second day in a row. Coach Mike Tomlin was optimistic Tuesday that at least the veteran safety would play, but defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau did not sound that way after practice Thursday.

"James is the player of the year a few years ago, so you know he's a great player. But we've played without him and Troy, who won the [defensive] MVP award. We've played without him. Our guys know what's required of them -- they have to step up and fill the vacancy and push on. We miss those guys, we'll be happy when we get them back, but it should never be a factor in who wins the game."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/on-the-steelers-james-harrison-will-not-play-sunday-653312/#ixzz26ShMaO3S

tube517
09-14-2012, 11:24 AM
Deebo should just sit out until after the bye. No use in risking the injury.

GodfatherofSoul
09-14-2012, 11:43 AM
Deebo should just sit out until after the bye. No use in risking the injury.

I'm hoping they learned their lesson from last season about bringing injured players back too early.

suitanim
09-14-2012, 11:57 AM
What this means: Carter ain't Deebo. The Jets will slide help over to Woodley's side, so expect another quiet game from him. He's fat, slow, overrated and overpaid anyway (Arians! Stewart!). Maybe Worilds will be a little more productive on the pass rush, though...

polamalubeast
09-14-2012, 11:59 AM
Troy Polamalu missed his third consecutive practice on Friday................

Steeldude
09-14-2012, 12:34 PM
What this means: Carter ain't Deebo. The Jets will slide help over to Woodley's side, so expect another quiet game from him.

Teams never slid over to Woodley's side before in Harrison's absence. I see you are already making excuses for him :sofunny:

oneforthetoe
09-14-2012, 02:39 PM
What this means: Carter ain't Deebo. The Jets will slide help over to Woodley's side, so expect another quiet game from him. He's fat, slow, overrated and overpaid anyway (Arians! Stewart!). Maybe Worilds will be a little more productive on the pass rush, though...

Well he only ever beats running backs, so ......... :)

polamalubeast
09-14-2012, 02:40 PM
Polamalu and Harrison=OUT

https://twitter.com/gerrydulac

Count Steeler
09-14-2012, 02:42 PM
Well, Ben, go put up 40 and hope that it's enough.

Moose
09-14-2012, 02:50 PM
What the hell is it with all of these injuries ? What are the players doing all year that they come into camp...get injured, play 1 game....get injured !!! Thank God for a early BYE week.

zulater
09-14-2012, 03:12 PM
This is nothing new. Harrison's been breaking down for 3 seasons now. No one else has noticed his late season fades starting as far back as 2009? Look the guy is great, or at least was. And who knows, maybe missing games now will leave him stronger for later in the season? If we can qualify for the playoffs without getting much from him early who knows maybe he can be a beast in the postseason and push us over the top?

But for now just understand this is the new-old reality for James Harrison.

Count Steeler
09-14-2012, 03:16 PM
Doesn't seem like Troy and James can play long stretches without injuries. Their bodies have taken a lot of punishment and they play all out. There are 2 big holes that need to be filled, much sooner than we had hoped would be the case.

Moose
09-14-2012, 03:38 PM
I agree. It has seemed like James hasn't been himself since he was hammered with all the fines. His game has slowed and got alot tamer. As for Troy, he has seemed to back down also, I'm sure age and injury recovery has taken toll. Everything hurts longer and recovery takes longer when that age comes. Hopefully the organization is taking notice and some of the young pups can step up. Now's the time for Troy and Harrision to start teaching.

polamalubeast
09-14-2012, 03:44 PM
it could be the last season of Harrison with the Steelers, especially if his injuries continue

For Polamalu, it's a long shot, but if he has problems with injuries this year, you never know what can happen

In August 2011 who would think that Peyton Manning would have been released by the Colts 8 month later?

zulater
09-14-2012, 03:55 PM
it could be the last season of Harrison with the Steelers, especially if his injuries continue

For Polamalu, it's a long shot, but if he has problems with injuries this year, you never know what can happen

In August 2011 who would think that Peyton Manning would have been released by the Colts 8 month later?

They both occupy a lot of cap space. So if they're not producing you can't keep them around too long.

polamalubeast
09-14-2012, 04:00 PM
They both occupy a lot of cap space. So if they're not producing you can't keep them around too long.

agree and it is for this reason why I think it might be their last season with the Steelers

in fact, I'd be surprised if Harrison is a steelers in 2013

Moose
09-14-2012, 04:09 PM

I agree 100% with you zu. It's only a 16 game season and you can't afford to lose many of them and still be in contention. Every player of importance need to be on the field, that's why they get the BIG bucks. Maybe the league needs to get to the point of "pay for play" scenerio. If the big buck boys sit constantly, than a portion of their pay could help get a younger, more dependable player in that position.

SteelerFanInStl
09-14-2012, 06:51 PM
Unfortunately for us we don't have a replacement for either of them currently on the roster, especially Troy.

The offense is going to have to step it up and just score more points because this defense isn't going to shut anyone down.

suitanim
09-14-2012, 06:55 PM
I'd rather them sit early if it's a matter of saving them. I'd rather THIS Steelers team be 100% healthy and 9-7 and playing on the road then be 50% healthy and at home at 13-3.

stillers4me
09-14-2012, 07:02 PM
James C Wexell‏@jimwexellJames Harrison told me last week he knew it would take 4-6 weeks to recover from the soft-tissue surgery. Today is Day 30.

SteelGhost
09-14-2012, 09:39 PM
Bad news, I hope the replacements can step up and help win the game.

It will be interesting what the FO will do for the 2013 season with Troy, Deebo AND LeBeau if the defense goes south (which I HOPE doesn't happen :pray:)

Moose
09-15-2012, 03:25 PM
I'd rather them sit early if it's a matter of saving them. I'd rather THIS Steelers team be 100% healthy and 9-7 and playing on the road then be 50% healthy and at home at 13-3.

I'm not sure I understand, if they are 50% healthy and 13-3 playing at home sounds pretty damn good.

polamalubeast
09-15-2012, 03:28 PM
I'm not sure I understand, if they are 50% healthy and 13-3 playing at home sounds pretty damn good.

it is more important to be hot at the right time, as in 2005

2005 > 2004

Moose
09-15-2012, 03:47 PM
Oh, gotcha....thanks.