PDA

View Full Version : Week 1 Thoughts - Steelers vs Broncos

Chidi29
09-13-2012, 11:03 PM
Hey everyone. Disappointed I couldn't do Weeks 3 and 4 of the preseason but back to start off with the regular season. Know this is coming out kind of late but that's because coaches film isn't made available until Wed at noon. So these posts will be out later in the week all the time, unfortunately. But on the plus, side, as a lot of you know, NFL Rewind has coaches film accessible for every single play for the first time ever. This is the footage, the All-22, that the coaches are getting sent. So very cool stuff there and really opens up a whole new layer of watching a game.

First off, I want to thank all the Admins of SteelersUniverse. A few weeks ago. TexasSteel messaged me and said that he and the rest of the Admins of SU would offer to pay for half of the Coaches Rewind fee, $35. Thanks again to all you guys for helping me out. I really do appreciate it.

Right before I went back to school three or so weeks ago, I was rummaging through drawers making sure everything I needed was packed. I found all the little notes Marianne sent me when I was writing articles for the site. With this being the first season without her, I want to post a new note from her each week. It's something small, and maybe cheesy, I dunno, but I want to do it.

"Hi Alex,
As always, thank you for a great editorial and for all you do to help this site! We love you!
Hugs,
Marianne"

----------

First Half

- Don't think I'm doing kickoff times this year. Too tricky with coaches film and it really isn't that important anymore. Maybe I'll change my mind or if someone is really interested in the numbers, I can go ahead and do them.

- Chris Carter started at OLB with Worilds rotating in. Hamp started at NT.

- Troy shows run blitz on Broncos' first drive. Manning motions Stokley to a nasty split to try and counter him. Stokley tries and cut Troy but 43 is still able to get a piece of Moreno, get up, and take him down. For anyone doubting, he's still got it.

- Foote's first sack. Denver picked it up well against our amoeba defense, but Foote blows by Moreno. Back on backer drill and the 'backer won.

- Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen were the starting jammers. There was a third player we were using to double team a gunner but I couldn't tell who it was. Van Dyke? Mundy?

- Looked like Brown and Allen were gunners too. Some other players on punt coverage I saw - Brandon Johnson, Jason Worilds, Ryan Mundy acting as the upback.

- First snap for Rainey. Toss strong. Trying to get him in space.

- Just some number changes/updates. Van Dyke wears #30. Robert Golden with #21. Brandon Johnson with 91, and David Paulson sporting 81.

- Mundy guessed wrong on Denver's 3/17 pickup. Attacked the underneath curl. Stokley ran away from Cortez and Peyton hit him. Picture.

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg608/Chidi2929/Mundy_Bite.png

- We nearly got caught with our pants down near end of the first quarter. Ball was snapped before we were set and Peyton tried to go deep. Luckily, pass fell incomplete.

- David Paulson with a nasty crackback on Antonio Brown's PR to end first quarter.

- Good design on the Brown bubble screen. Use motion to back off the CB and create separation, turns into an 8 yard gain. Two pictures. First is Brown split outside the numbers with the CB having on coverage and then motion Brown into the Trips Bunch set to back him off and set up the screen.

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg608/Chidi2929/Brown_nomotion.png

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg608/Chidi2929/Brown_motion.png

- Tough, tough break on 3rd and goal deflection with Heath being wide open in the end zone. Slant/flat combo with Wallace and both corners bit and went to the slant. Didn't pass off correctly. But we still couldn't convert. Those are game changers.

- Drew Butler the team's holder.

- Woodley sat out for a bit. Replaced by Worilds.

- Saw Al Woods for first time mid way through the 2nd. In base formation too, wasn't a subpackage.

- Classic zone blitz principle that has been very effective the past few years. Worilds rushes the outside to take the tackle, The DE slants into the guard and the LB shoots through the space inbetween. Foote nearly comes up with a sack. Picture.

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg608/Chidi2929/Zone_Blitz.png

- Broncos has three draws in four plays that went for 16 yards, over 5 a pop. Last one was Moreno's TD.

- Looking at that play. Brandon Stokley had a key block on Chris Carter. Zone stretch and Moreno was able to cut back when Stokley sealed Carter off to the inside. Picture, Carter on the right side of your screen.

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg608/Chidi2929/Carter_wash.png

- Will Johnson was the upback on KR.

- Antonio Brown slipped on his 27 yard scramble drill near end of the half. Corner Chris Harris turned and looked into the backfield while sliding in the direction Brown was running before he slipped (big mistake). And he got caught.

- Fade to Wallace on 2nd and 6 with :36 left was no surprise. 3x1 formation, Ben looks and motions to him presnap.

- Lots of Power O with Colon pulling throughout the game.

Second Half

- First pass of the second half. Not sure if it was a screen, didn't look like it, left side of the line in disarray. No clue what Colon was doing.

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg608/Chidi2929/Overload_Blitz.png

- Nice job by Ben to recognize overload blitz (rush 6) and quickly get the ball to Heath for a 15 yard gain on the first drive of the second quarter.

- 2nd and 18 slant to Wallace. 3x1, Wallace on the backside. Expect a slant there. Safety blitz makes it even easier.

- Draw = Power 0

- Doug Legursky abused by Von Miller on 3rd down before Suisham's 35 yard FG.

- Demaryius Thomas TD. Still not sure why Troy tried to get off the block to the inside like he did. Go around and funnel Thomas back to the middle of the field. Don't let him run in a line down the field. Also want to give kudos to Denver's Zane Beadles downfield block of Mundy. Literally was 20 yards downfield. Picture of Troy to the inside.

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg608/Chidi2929/Troy_angle.png

- Slant/flat combo on Wallace's three yard TD. CBs do a nice job of avoiding the pick but still tough to stop.

- Great day for Suisham. 5 KOs, 5 TBs.

- Couple of looks of how selling deep can create separtion. Cover 1 look and corners have to respect deep threat. So as soon as the WR eats up the corner's cushion and the DBs turn their hips and run assuming a deep ball, or the WR can break down and run a curl. Becomes pitch and catch there.

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg608/Chidi2929/Sell_Speed2.png

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg608/Chidi2929/Sell_Speed.png

- I'm sure Sprint Left was not the call in the huddle for Manning on the go-ahead TD. Peyton being Peyton.

- Foote seemed to be the defensive signal caller. Played a really good game.

- Love that Ben was able to keep his eyes downfield and make a play after bobbled snap on next to last series.

- Porter pick six. Tried to throw flat vs Cover 2. With safety help, Porter can freely jump it.

- Some of Denver's bigger runs later in the game came out of 3 WR sets with us in nickel. Opened up running lanes without a NT in there.

- Starks and Adams did a better job with speed rushes than I expected, though both still struggled with leverage and were prone to being bull rushed. Especially Starks.

- Chris Rainey does give us a lot versatility but we have to be careful with how we use him. Because defenses are keying in him as soon as he enters the game. Need to start using him as a decoy. Fake a draw, pump fake on a swing pass and try to go deep. Make defenses pay for keying in on him.

Sacks

- 3rd and 12, 4:01 left in the first. 5 lineman plus 2 blockers on check/release vs 4 DL rushing. What this boils down to is a severe mental lapse. The Broncos are tipping the fact they are going to stunt and Willie Colon does not pick it up. Check out the DT to the open side on this third down earlier in the game. #96 Mitch Urlein.

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg608/Chidi2929/No_Stunt.png

Look at his stagger. The left foot is back and the right up. No stunt on this play, just a straight rush.

Now look at the 3rd down sack.

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg608/Chidi2929/Stunt.png

Right foot is back and the left foot up. When you see a change in feet/stagger, that indicates a stunt. And the way he stunts furthers that. He slants to the inside while Derek Wolfe loops around.

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg608/Chidi2929/Wolfe_Stunt.png

If you're going to slant to your left, it's better to push off your right foot than your left. Much less awkward. That wasn't picked up and Ben goes done. It's not a talent issue, it's not a "on the road" issue, it's a mental issue. Plain and simple.

- 1st and 10, 1:58 left in the 4th. Miller gets a great jump, dips under Mike Adams.

- 3rd and 5, 1:01 left. Only two men down for Denver. Legursky misses a stunt, lineman blows by.

Sack Counter (Game)

Willie Colon: 1
Mike Adams: 1
Doug Legursky: 1

Sack Counter (Season)

Willie Colon: 1
Mike Adams: 1
Doug Legursky: 1

Formations

FB: 6
Pony: 2
Empty: 1

crcsnail
09-14-2012, 12:39 AM
nice read as always chidi . i really look forward to your game analysis . nice touch with the note as well m8 :)

tube517
09-14-2012, 08:31 AM
Nice stuff, Chidi.

I don't have the link but a quick note on Rainey. He is the PR but was pulled from those duties (for the Broncos game) at the last minute by Coach Amos Jones. I wonder why Sanders wasn't in there instead of Brown.

Lou Donny
09-14-2012, 10:02 AM
love the analysis chidi

suitanim
09-14-2012, 10:44 AM
Great job!

One note on Rainey. Although he didn't do much on the stat sheet, he still served the purpose of keeping the defense honest. I still think the plan is to get him 5-7 touches a game, with the goal of him doing both the duty of keeping the D honest AND him taking advantage of getting out into space and busting off a couple big plays.

Chidi29
09-14-2012, 12:20 PM
Nice stuff, Chidi.

I don't have the link but a quick note on Rainey. He is the PR but was pulled from those duties (for the Broncos game) at the last minute by Coach Amos Jones. I wonder why Sanders wasn't in there instead of Brown.

Good note tube. Didn't know that.

Wonder how much influence Tomlin had in that decision. Because he said he'd be a lot more involved with special teams.

tube517
09-14-2012, 12:54 PM
Good note tube. Didn't know that.

Wonder how much influence Tomlin had in that decision. Because he said he'd be a lot more involved with special teams.

I wonder that too.

Here is the link: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2576635-85/0-2-game-harrison-steelers-bowl-knee-linebacker-practice-teams-brown#axzz26MpFN1r6

Steelers Depot blog: http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/09/chris-rainey-disappointed-he-wasnt-allowed-to-return-punts-against-broncos/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SteelersDepotBlog+%28Steelers +Depot+Blog%29

Austin87
09-14-2012, 08:27 PM
Good stuff as always.

SteelGhost
09-14-2012, 09:50 PM
Thanks Chidi :thumbsup:

zulater
09-15-2012, 07:46 AM
Here's a couple thoughts of mine from game 1 as I sit here and rewatch the game on NFL rewind.

Larry Foote was playing at a player of the week level in the first half of the game.

Timmons has been unfairly criticized by many for allowing Peyton Manning to scramble for a first down on a play Timmon's was blitzing on. He shot straight through the gap in a bee line to Manning because if he hadn't taken any other path he wouldn't have got there so quick. If you want to place blame for that play look no further than #96. Ziggy was completely owned on that play and offered no contain as he should have.

On the Broncos first scoring drive. On the 3rd at 1 play at the Steelers 25. Ziggy Hood completely runs himself out of the play, futilely rushing Manning on a handoff to McGahee. Had he maintained his gap that's a no gain play and the Broncos settle for the fg instead of the touchdown they later score.

On Moreno's touchdown Ziggy Hood was held by #65 of the Broncos like you can't believe! Chidi, it comes at the 46 minute mark of NFL rewind, show a stop action photo of it please. I mean it was like how could you ever miss it? Bad.

I know calls get missed. But what pisses me off is they called a BS holding call on Heath Miller on our opening series. Then later the holding call against Wallace was valid, but not egregious.

But anyway, having called the Steelers twice to this point of the game for nebulous holds at best, how the hell did the ignore that dragdown being put on the guy with the best angle to the ball carrier at the line of scrimmage? In other words, both Steeler holds were called well away from the play. But this was direct line point of attack. You can't miss that call!

zulater
09-16-2012, 12:21 PM
I still don't get why Ben spiked the ball on first and goal at the end of the first half? Why give up the down there? Luckily it didn't bite them in the ass and they scored the TD on 3rd down. but what if they didn't? We have enough trouble scoring with all of our downs in the red zone, so why give away a play needlessly?

Chidi29
09-16-2012, 12:42 PM
Here's a couple thoughts of mine from game 1 as I sit here and rewatch the game on NFL rewind.

Larry Foote was playing at a player of the week level in the first half of the game.

Timmons has been unfairly criticized by many for allowing Peyton Manning to scramble for a first down on a play Timmon's was blitzing on. He shot straight through the gap in a bee line to Manning because if he hadn't taken any other path he wouldn't have got there so quick. If you want to place blame for that play look no further than #96. Ziggy was completely owned on that play and offered no contain as he should have.

On the Broncos first scoring drive. On the 3rd at 1 play at the Steelers 25. Ziggy Hood completely runs himself out of the play, futilely rushing Manning on a handoff to McGahee. Had he maintained his gap that's a no gain play and the Broncos settle for the fg instead of the touchdown they later score.

On Moreno's touchdown Ziggy Hood was held by #65 of the Broncos like you can't believe! Chidi, it comes at the 46 minute mark of NFL rewind, show a stop action photo of it please. I mean it was like how could you ever miss it? Bad.

I know calls get missed. But what pisses me off is they called a BS holding call on Heath Miller on our opening series. Then later the holding call against Wallace was valid, but not egregious.

But anyway, having called the Steelers twice to this point of the game for nebulous holds at best, how the hell did the ignore that dragdown being put on the guy with the best angle to the ball carrier at the line of scrimmage? In other words, both Steeler holds were called well away from the play. But this was direct line point of attack. You can't miss that call!

Agreed, very pleased with the way Foote played.

Yup, Hood was held really bad. But hey, I'm not going to complain about the refs. Our miscues are ultimately the reason why we lost. But here's the photo.

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg608/Chidi2929/Ziggy_Hold.png

zulater
09-16-2012, 01:00 PM
Agreed, very pleased with the way Foote played.

Yup, Hood was held really bad. But hey, I'm not going to complain about the refs. Our miscues are ultimately the reason why we lost. But here's the photo.

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg608/Chidi2929/Ziggy_Hold.png

I'm not using it as an excuse, just pointing it out, because God knows the NBC crew didn't bother to. There was one other huge no call that adversely impacted the game for the Steelers. That of course would be where Ben was ridden down to the turf by his facemask on a 3rd down play. Had that hard to miss call not unbelievably been missed the Steelers would have had a first and goal on a drive they settled for a field goal on.

I haven't seen the actual stat but I heard on two separate radio shows that the replacement refs showed a heavy slant to home teams in week one on number of penalty calls. Of course I'm sure the league noticed this as well, and they'll probably go to lengths this week to balance things out, so expect the the Steelers to get the shitty end of the stick once again! :doh:

fansince'76
09-16-2012, 01:26 PM
I'm not using it as an excuse, just pointing it out, because God knows the NBC crew didn't bother to.

Yeah, but as usual, Collinsworth and Michaels certainly made it a point to mention every one of our indiscretions. :mad2:

zulater
09-16-2012, 02:02 PM
To be fair. On the 4th and 1 foot play, Ben was stopped short of the sticks, but was given a favorable spot. Of course on the previous play Ben was never touched and should have been given the bounce, which easily would have put him over the first down marker, negating the need to go for the 4th down to begin with. Plus the Broncos could have challenged the 4th down spot, but for some unknown reason didn't bother to? so they at least had it in their hands to change a poor call. We didn't.

zulater
09-16-2012, 02:33 PM
Hey Chidi, when you get a chance, show a sequence of the face mask that the Broncos got away with on Ben. Start's at 1.18.20 second mark on the rewind.

Chidi29
09-16-2012, 02:44 PM
Let's not nit-pick every penalty missed. We sound like Seahawks' fans when we do that.

Edman
09-16-2012, 02:51 PM
Today is proof of why the No-Huddle isn't a de-facto problem solver to all Offensive problems.

The Ravens and Pats, two teams who put up huge numbers in the No-huddle Week 1, have now been brought down to earth today and are now locked in battles. The Ravens had some success early on but now the Eagles have held them in check.

zulater
09-16-2012, 02:56 PM
Let's not nit-pick every penalty missed. We sound like Seahawks' fans when we do that.

I'm not nitpicking, those were two huge missed calls, and unlike Seahawk fans my arguments have merit.

Non call one. Instead of a touchdown the Broncos would have had 1st and goal from the 17. Yeah they might have still scored, but if you do a little research you'll find that first and goal situations from beyond the 15 way more often than not result in field goals.

Plus as I said before, the refs no trouble calling a couple nebulous holding calls away from the play against the Steelers earlier. so as much as anything it was the lack of consistency that was bothersome.

And again I didn't imagine the face mask against Ben. It was plain to see, and quite egregious. Were we under the old rules where the refs had the discretion to call a 5 or 15 yard penalty on a facemask, that was a 30 yarder. :wink02:

Seriously that was bad, and if properly called we get first and ten at the 11. Who's to say maybe we still end up with a field goal or worse ( turnover).

But regardless anyway you slice it, those were improperly called ( as opposed to the Seahawk bitches) and given where the non calls took place absolutely factored into the game's ebb and flow.

fansince'76
09-16-2012, 02:57 PM

Nope. I know penalties are going to be missed both ways in every game. My beef is with talking heads (yeah, that's you, Sapp) who are paid big bucks to be objective yet clearly aren't.

zulater
09-17-2012, 06:29 PM
I still wish you'd post a picture of the facemask if you could Chidi. and it has nothing to do with bitching about the outcome of the game. The Steelers deserved to lose. But I'll tell you what else is deserved. Steeler fans deserve to see what happened on that play. And NBC never gave us that chance. I noticed it on the cutaway, when they went to commercial and I thought to myself they'd highlight it when they came back from break. But they never did. They didn't even mention it in fact until much later in the quarter when Collingsworth briefly alluded to it without offering any specificity or context. Almost as if it was a throwaway play, rather than a 3rd down play that had the penalty been called would have given the Steelers a new set of downs inside the Broncos 15. .

Anyway I don't think it's whining to allow those Steeler fans that don't have NFL rewind or the game taped to see what was missed by both the refs and the NBC broadcasters.

I'd do it myself, but I don't know how. :doh: So as a favor, could you please post a still shot of that when you get a chance? Please.

Chidi29
09-17-2012, 09:06 PM
I just don't like talking about the refs zu. It's not that I'm trying to hide anything or slight anyone, I just want to focus on the things we can control, to steal a line from Tomlin.

But yeah, I'll post it.

Chidi29
09-17-2012, 09:08 PM
Well, I'll post it when I can. Can't watch anything during MNF.

Chidi29
09-18-2012, 01:49 PM
Here's the best shot I could get. The Bronco does eventually physically grab Ben's facemask but either way, it's a 15 yarder.

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg608/Chidi2929/Ben_facemask.png

Chidi29
09-18-2012, 01:52 PM
And if you're ever looking to give it a shot yourself zu, all I do is take a screenshot of the picture with the "print screen" button, save it, and then use my photobucket account to upload it and paste the link.

zulater
09-18-2012, 01:57 PM
Thanks Chidi!

What was your overall assessment of Troy's play that game? My opinion he wasn't that good.

Also you see any hope that Worldis or Carter can do an adequate job in Harrison's absence?

suitanim
09-18-2012, 01:59 PM
As I've said repeatedly, the bad refs are like sleet: They effect both teams equally. They also seem to have the corollary effect of extending games about half an hour since the refs need to confer for 15 minutes after every flag (They DO know how to call Pass Interference, though, even if they may not actually have a clue what actually constitutes the actual penalty).

Chidi29
09-18-2012, 02:12 PM
Thanks Chidi!

What was your overall assessment of Troy's play that game? My opinion he wasn't that good.

Also you see any hope that Worldis or Carter can do an adequate job in Harrison's absence?

I thought Troy still had his fair share of "splash" plays, especially vs the run. And his impact is never entirely seen on the field. All the extra time spent to try and prepare for Troy makes him that special player. And I'm sure it's still really tough to identify coverages with him out there. Of course, not having Clark in the game may have made Troy a little more conservative pre and post snap.

I still think Harrison's impact is missed the most against the run. Granted, the Jets didn't run the ball very well but they have a really poor rushing attack.

suitanim
09-18-2012, 02:34 PM
I thought Troy still had his fair share of "splash" plays, especially vs the run. And his impact is never entirely seen on the field. All the extra time spent to try and prepare for Troy makes him that special player. And I'm sure it's still really tough to identify coverages with him out there. Of course, not having Clark in the game may have made Troy a little more conservative pre and post snap.

I still think Harrison's impact is missed the most against the run. Granted, the Jets didn't run the ball very well but they have a really poor rushing attack.

Troy impacted every one of Peyton's decisions. He's still integral to this defenses success.

Harrison means the defense has to account for TWO outside speed forces as well. The TE shifted over to Woodley's side a lot Sunday.

zulater
09-18-2012, 08:52 PM
On the ensuing possession for the Steelers after the Broncos took a 22-19 lead. Ben threw a long sideline pass that was intended for Wallace which Porter broke up. This play as much as any demonstrated why Wallace wont ever by a receiver at the absolute elite level. Ben throws a perfect strike about 45 yards in the air. And Porter stays with Wallace stride for stride and then makes a terrific play on the ball. Now you could say Wallace isn't at full speed yet, and this is why he didn't shake off Porter. But more to the point of why he's not elite. He doesn't go up and get the ball at it's highest point like the great one's do. Megatron, Fitzgerald, they go up and get the ball before the defender can make a play on the ball. Stallworth and Swann, same thing. Wallace, the ball has to come to him. ergo, he can be very good, but he wont ever be great, nor should he be paid as such.

zulater
09-18-2012, 09:02 PM
On the next play, 3rd and 3, Ben had A. Brown open on the right sideline for an easy first down, but ignores him and tries to go hero ball, the pocket collapses and he forces a ball to a double covered Heath Miller that could have been picked.

Ben's worst decision of the night prior to the pick 6.

zulater
09-19-2012, 01:16 PM
Last thing before I move on to week 2.

The pick 6 by Ben was indefensible. He had Heath Miller open on a crossing pattern, and time to come off his initial read to Sanders and get it to him. Probably would have got 10-15 yards. Game time or downs wasn't an issue. Ben just forced a throw to a receiver that was nowhere close to being open when he really had no reason to?

It spoiled what otherwise was a good overall game by Ben. Yeah I know he threw a few other dangerous passes. 3 I counted. But in each of those situations I could see the rationale, and on at least two of the passes, the defender would have had to make a extra ordinary effort to come down with the ball.