PDA

View Full Version : Ben Roethlisberger: Are the Pittsburgh Steelers Bigger Than Big Ben?

polamalubeast
07-22-2010, 05:59 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/423326-are-the-pittsburgh-steelers-bigger-than-big-ben-roethlisberger

Ben Roethlisberger: Are the Pittsburgh Steelers Bigger Than Big Ben?
By Omar Brown (Featured Columnist) on July 21, 2010 199
reads
comments
Jared Wickerham/Getty Images "We can't defend the behavior or the actions as an organization and we won't, but we do defend his opportunity to make right, and I think that's the right thing to do."

Kevin Colbert said this when NFL commissioner Roger Goodell decided to suspend Roethlisberger for up to six games due to an incident back in March when a Georgia college student accused Roethlisberger of raping her.

"This guy has helped us win two world championships. He's made some mistakes, but he also deserves the opportunity to rectify those mistakes. And we stand behind his opportunity to do that," Colbert said.

Colbert is the Pittsburgh Steelers director of football operations (also known as the general manager).

Since Colbert returned to his hometown in 2000, the Steelers won five AFC North titles, four AFC Championship Games and two Super Bowls.

The Lions went to the playoffs five times, in the 10 seasons Colbert spent in Detroit.

"Kevin's impact is immeasurable. We have an awesome working relationship, because we have one very important thing in common. We don't care who gets the credit, and all we want to do is win," Mike Tomlin said.

"No, we don't see that role changing," Rooney said. "Kevin has been a key part, a critical part of our success the last few years, and the way he's done his job is outstanding and we hope he continues to approach it the way he has," said Art Rooney II.

“We didn’t have the type of off-season that we’re proud of and we’re anxious to get back on the field and have a team that competes for a championship and have a team that our fans can be proud to call their team,” Colbert said.

Well it looks like behavior problems are not quiet as far behind big Ben, like Colbert and the rest if Steeler nation would like them to be.

All Ben needed to do was stay out of trouble and comply with NFL policy, and his suspension could have been dropped from six weeks to four weeks. But Ben can't seem to find a way to keep the bad PR light from shinning on the Steeler Nation.

Ben and his posse had the cops called on them here recently.

According to Bob Baptist of the Columbus Dispatch, after Roethlisberger was denied a tee time at the more prestigious Muirfield Village golf course; Ben went across the street to another Country Club at Muirfield Village.

Baptist's source at Muirfield said Ben's "reputation proceeds him;"

According to Baptist, multiple reports suggested the troubled Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback, during a round of golf, was seen urinating on the course early Friday evening by a Dublin homeowner.

But a source at the club, who said he did not want to be identified, told The Dispatch that it never was verified whether Roethlisberger or either of his two playing partners was the culprit.

Profootballtalk.com reports that a source close to Roethlisberger told them that the man seen urinating was another member of Roethlisberger's group.

The homeowner with the view of the 17th tee of the Jack Nicklaus-built course, called the golf club to complain. After Police arrived on the scene to investigate, the homeowner Nanette Fowler, decided not to press charges, said Dublin police spokesman David Ball.

The way this thing has been swept under the rug, with all this he said she said, we may never know if it was Ben or not?

Does it really matter? I mean, heck, who hasn't done it right?

But the point of this story, is that this is just the kind of behavior the first Golf course not only expected, but managed to avoid thanks to Ben Roethlisbergers reputation proceeding him.

Now Colbert has a reputation of his own to contend with, is he going to be as prudent as the prestigious golf course was, or is he going to allow the reputation of his prestigious franchise to take the same significant risk he pawned off on the Jets earlier this year.

Is this a double standard, or are the Steelers conceding they are not bigger than big Ben?

The recent police investigation surrounding Roethlisberger regarding the golf course incident is the cherry on the cake, or should I say pie thrown in Steelers nation as well as the entire NFL fan bases face at this rate.

This cherry is on top of the rape allegations, yes you heard me right, allegations plural; yeah that's right that means more than one...

Roethlisberger was recently sued by a Nevada woman who claimed, she had been sexually assaulted by him in 2008.

This incident just adds to what happened back in March when a college sophomore accused him of raping her while she and he where in a night club bathroom in Georgia.

Georgia detectives investigated the role Pennsylvania state trooper Ed Joyner played while moonlighting as Bens body guard during the alleged rape incident.

According to Carl Prine of PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW

During a taped interview, Joyner begged Georgia detectives not to run his name through databases because it would "flag" him on Pennsylvania State Police computers. Joyner also yelled at Georgia Bureau of Investigation agents for contacting his bosses directly, according to case files.

Witnesses said Joyner barred them from rescuing the woman left alone with Roethlisberger in a staff restroom, accusations the trooper denied to investigators. Roethlisberger never was charged, but the NFL slapped him with a suspension that could run as long as six games.

Citing orders that he wasn't supposed to work as a bodyguard, police officials yanked permission for Joyner to work for Roethlisberger in April, a decision he is appealing through his union.

Now what is Colbert going to do?

He has proved time and time again that he is not going to be tolerant to off the field incidences that bring the light of shame on the franchise by Santonio Holmes; who would have been serving a four games suspension along with Ben for violating the league's substance-abuse policy.

But what of the controversial former Super Bowl MVP who was traded to the Jets?

According to New York Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum, "We understand there's risk, a significant risk, but at the end of the day, we felt the price was reasonable and the risk was reasonable,"

Tannenbaum acknowledged the "significant issues" off the field. Strike one occurred when Holmes was cited for marijuana possession in 2008, the result was a one-game suspension by the Steelers, (Paid Suspension).

Holmes is being sued Holmes a woman has filed a criminal complaint; She accused him of throwing a glass in her face at a bar in Orlando; Tim Tebow arrived just in time to save the ladies face from being shattered. No Tebow wasn't there he sent one of his angels to take care of it.

To make a long story short, Holmes' rap sheet includes a domestic-violence arrest where the charges were dropped. Roethlisberger, after all these years, was finally selected by the players as the Steelers MVP for the 2009 season.

My question: Will Kevin Colbert be forced to trade two MVP's in the same season as a result of "significant issues" off the field?

Or will he coward his teams prestige to big Ben Roethlisberger’s light of shame being spotlighted on the franchise with his presence on it?

Who's bigger than who?

zulater
07-22-2010, 06:13 AM
With all due respect towards the writer which is none. What a fucking assshole. News? Not one iota, just a bunch of rehashed, slanted bullshit! More wordsd I have for the writer. Worthless piece of garbage. Scumbag. He's worse than what he's making Ben out to be. He has no life so he attempts to destroy others who are by all acounts trying to rehabailate theirs. I hope this son of bitch falls down an elavator shaft and breaks his fucking worthless neck in the next hour! :monkey:

silver & black
07-22-2010, 06:19 AM
As soon as I see Bleacher Report in the Heading, I don't even bother reading, wheather it's about my team or another.

Kaeg
07-22-2010, 06:33 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/423326-are-the-pittsburgh-steelers-bigger-than-big-ben-roethlisberger

Since Colbert returned to his hometown in 2000, the Steelers won five AFC North titles, four AFC Championship Games and two Super Bowls.

So,.....I guess we've been to 4 Superbowls in the last decade? I'm glad I missed two of them, because since we've only won two of them, I guess we lost the other two.

SirHulka
07-22-2010, 06:49 AM

Another example of how accurate these 'reporters' are.

Chidi29
07-22-2010, 06:59 AM

This cherry is on top of the rape allegations, yes you heard me right, allegations plural; yeah that's right that means more than one...

Roethlisberger was recently sued by a Nevada woman who claimed, she had been sexually assaulted by him in 2008.

This incident just adds to what happened back in March when a college sophomore accused him of raping her while she and he where in a night club bathroom in Georgia.

He's acting like this was some sort of well kept secret. As if the whole world is going to go, "*gasp* When did this happen?"

Chidi29
07-22-2010, 07:00 AM
I think we need to make a poll. Who do you hate more?

Bleacherreport or Mike Florio?

SteelerSal
07-22-2010, 07:41 AM
I think we need to make a poll. Who do you hate more?

Bleacherreport or Mike Florio?

In this poll can there be a choice of "both equally"?

Chidi29
07-22-2010, 07:56 AM

Then there'd be no reason to make a poll. We'd already know the answer. :chuckle:

SirHulka
07-22-2010, 08:02 AM
Florio occasionally gets one right. Occasionally.

memphissteelergirl
07-22-2010, 08:15 AM
With all due respect towards the writer which is none. What a fucking assshole. News? Not one iota, just a bunch of rehashed, slanted bullshit! More wordsd I have for the writer. Worthless piece of garbage. Scumbag. He's worse than what he's making Ben out to be. He has no life so he attempts to destroy others who are by all acounts trying to rehabailate theirs. I hope this son of bitch falls down an elavator shaft and breaks his fucking worthless neck in the next hour! :monkey:

Wow...don't be shy, man...say how ya really feel

Killer
07-22-2010, 09:22 AM
What is wrong with you people. I've told you a 1000 times the Bleacher Report is just a blog.

Not a "news" source.

Just like an op-ed in the local newspaper where anybody can spout off with whatever they want to write.

It's true that fledgling sportswriters have to start somewhere, so just read it for fun and don't take their words as gospel.

i.e.DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ!

The writer of this article - Omar Brown

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/users/photos/000/038/959/Omar_crop_257x257.jpg?

steeldevil
07-22-2010, 01:42 PM
I will only read bleacher report if the article is like 1 paragraph long... waste of time.

steelerdude15
07-22-2010, 01:56 PM
Another example of how accurate these 'reporters' are.
Uhh... try two and your right about these "reporters." :lol:

salamander
07-22-2010, 01:59 PM
I think anything from this "source" should be banned. It's always utter crap anyways.

Just sayin'. lol.

polamalubeast
07-22-2010, 08:18 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/423377-10-nfl-quarterbacks-who-need-a-good-2010-season#page/11

Dire Straits: 10 NFL Quarterbacks Who Need a Good 2010 Season
By Paul Carreau (Member) on July 22, 2010 1,255
reads
comments
The 2010 NFL season is quickly approaching, and there are a number of quarterbacks that, for any number of reasons, are in desperate need of a good season.
Whether it be to maintain a starting job, or keep a career alive, I am going to look at the 10 quarterbacks who are in the most dire straits this season.

10. Alex Smith
The former No. 1 overall pick has been subpar thus far in his career. He has been not only inconsistent, but also lost the 2008 season to injury. The second half of 2009, however, gave Smith a second chance.
After replacing Shaun Hill as the starting quarterback in San Francisco, Smith showed signs of progress. He finished the season with 2,350 passing yards and 18 touchdown passes. But it is essential that he continues his progress.
Another subpar season could spell the end of Smith's tenure in San Francisco, and we could see the second coming of David Carr. A former No. 1 pick trying to land a backup job.

9. Tony Romo
Tony Romo is not on the hot seat, and not in any danger of losing his starting job. But for his credibility and for the sake of the franchise, it is vital for Romo to not only have a great 2010 campaign, but also to advance the Cowboys deep into the playoffs.
Romo has great career regular season numbers, but it is the poor playoff performances which have almost become a hallmark of his career. After earning the Cowboys their first playoff victory in 13 seasons, Romo and the Cowboys got hammered by the Vikings the following week. With the Super Bowl in Dallas this season, this is Romo's best chance to shed his reputation of not being a big game player.

8. Jay Cutler
The man who has possibly the strongest arm in the league, Jay Cutler needs to find a way to turn that into the golden touch. For his career Cutler is only 24-29 as a starting quarterback.
After trading away Kyle Orton and two first round picks (as well as a third rounder), the Chicago Bears were looking for Cutler to pay big dividends.
What they got in return was a mediocre season which saw only one more touchdown pass than interception. There wouldn't appear to be any competition for Cutler's job, but a sub-.500 record is not what the Bears were looking for when they traded for him.
In his second season in the Windy City, this should be when we find out if Jay Cutler can be a winner or just another strong armed mid-level performer.

7. Jason Campbell
Jason Campbell begins his tenure as the starting quarterback in Oakland. Lucky for Campbell, he doesn't exactly have big shoes to fill. Unluckily for Campbell though, the Raiders haven't been shy about transferring the starting quarterback duties throughout the roster.
I find it hard to believe that the Raiders would have Campbell on any sort of short leash, but at the same time, with Al Davis in charge, nothing that the Raiders do anymore can be much of a surprise.
While Campbell's career numbers won't blow anyone away, they are certainly respectable and better than those of his recent predecessors. So, while Campbell should be a lock to be the starter for awhile in Oakland, a good season would go a long way in prolonging his tenure.

6. Matt Hasselbeck
Plagued by injuries recently, Hasselbeck has only played one 16 game season over the last four years. The key to Hasselbeck's season, and his health, will be a revamped offensive line.
If he is to regain any of his past form, he must first remain upright. With his rash of recent injuries, and mediocre play when in the lineup, Hasselbeck appears to be on the downhill slide of his career.
The three-time pro bowler has proven to be a very successful starter, even leading the Seahawks to their only Super Bowl appearance, but if there is anything left in the tank of Matt Hasselbeck, this has to be the season to show it. It is sad to say, but his career could depend on it.

5. David Garrard
There were grumblings late last season that David Garrard might not be the answer as the Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback. A tough and gritty quarterback, Garrard has never had that big play receiver to complement his skills, and thus has had to take a lot on his own shoulders.
One big problem for Garrard is the division he plays in. Twice a year he has to face the defending AFC champion Colts, the always improving Houston Texans, and the Tennessee Titans, who are one season removed from having the league's best record. For the grumblings to come to a halt, Garrard is going to have to make something magical of the 2010 campaign.

4. Jake Delhomme
After a nightmare of a season for Carolina in 2009, Jake Delhomme looks for a rebound year in Cleveland. Delhomme heads into training camp as the team's starter, but after last season he could be on a game by game schedule.
Like Hasselbeck, injuries have hampered Delhomme recently. Only one full season in the last four, has lead to very erratic play, and possibly taken a few years off of his career.
A 2005 Pro Bowler, Delhomme is looking to put last season behind him, but also behind him are Seneca Wallace and Colt McCoy who are only a few turnovers from putting Jake Delhomme's starting days in the past.

3. Matt Cassel
Matt Cassel quickly made a name for himself in 2008 replacing the injured Tom Brady. After his breakout season, the Chiefs signed him to a six year deal worth $63 million.
His first season in Kansas City didn't quite live up to expectations. Not having the supporting cast that he had in New England, Cassel threw for under 3,000 yards and had just as many interceptions as touchdown passes.
With all the money that the Chiefs have invested in Cassel, it seems unlikely that anyone other than him will be taking the snaps this season, but he needs a good season to prove not only that he was worth the big contract, but to give hope to a franchise that has been stuck in the basement for a few seasons.

2. Matt Leinart
Matt Leinart's first stint as the Arizona Cardinals' starting quarterback was a failure. Kurt Warner was brought in as a mentor, who promptly lead the team to their first Super Bowl appearance.
Now, with Warner's retirement, the starting role returns to Matt Leinart, who has thus far been given every chance to succeed.
The loss of Anquan Boldin to Baltimore gives Leinart one less weapon than he has had in the past, but Larry Fitzgerald is still there. For Leinart to be really successful he will need to look his way more often than not. This is undoubtedly Matt Leinart's last chance to be a successful starting quarterback for the Arizona Cardinals.

1. Ben Roethlisberger

It is hard to imagine that a 28-year-old, two-time Super Bowl champion quarterback could be number one on this list, but it happened.

By now everyone is familiar with Ben Roethlisberger the football player, and unfortunately we are all now familiar with Ben Roethlisberger off the field as well. His legal issues have been well documented and have resulted in a six game suspension to begin 2010.

When he returns to the field, this will be Roethlisberger's most important season to date. Even a Super Bowl ring will not excuse or erase his off the field problems, but a very successful season, both on and off the field will go a long way in starting to repair Big

Mattsme
07-22-2010, 11:34 PM
The writer of this article - Omar Brown

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/users/photos/000/038/959/Omar_crop_257x257.jpg?

Is that the writer's parents in the pic too? How cute.

tony hipchest
07-22-2010, 11:43 PM
LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcYppAs6ZdI&feature=related

HughC
07-23-2010, 08:55 PM
I saw 'Bleacher Report' and immediately skimmed past the actual column and only read the responses. For the life of me I have no idea why people treat Bleacher Report as some source of respectable, objective reporting. You do realize that you, me, or anyone else could write for BR if so inclined? If anyone here writes for them that's not a slam on you - congratulation on your dedication and effort - just saying that what the site is is opinionated amateur fans, not professional writers who are theoretically supposed to be objective.

BR is simply a place for passionate homer fans to spout their wishful thinking. So if something is written their you find objectionable, don't take it any more seriously than you would something written by a rival fan on one of their fan forums.

SMR
07-24-2010, 07:47 AM

I'd go with that.