PDA

View Full Version : Steelers, Roethlisberger appear comfortable in running no-huddle

stillers4me
09-11-2012, 05:22 PM
The most significant change in the new Steelers offense displayed Sunday night in Denver did not come in a more effective running game, better pass protection, more use of the short passing game or the advent of a rookie scatback who can break one at any moment.

The biggest change came in the huddle, or the lack of one. Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's use of the no-huddle offense in the second quarter and throughout the second half in the opener signaled what might be the advent of a significant change in the way the Steelers play football on offense.

They have used it previously, most famously to win Super Bowl XLIII, but rarely for an entire half in the opening game in a noisy place on the road the way they did Sunday night. It was mostly effective right up until Roethlisberger threw that pick-6 to Tracy Porter with two minutes left..............

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-roethlisberger-appear-comfortable-in-running-no-huddle-652738/#ixzz26CbmJkPO

Moose
09-11-2012, 05:32 PM
This 'no-huddle' thing looks to be the thing of the future. It sure put a hurting on our guys Sunday night. If we can do it effectively, then do it !! We have a fast WR in Wallace, who may be able to be down field in a snap second. Go for it.

Count Steeler
09-11-2012, 05:35 PM
The no-huddle seems to be taking over the league, and I would expect our defense to see a healthy dose of it until they learn to do something to stop it. Can't just sit back and wait for the offense to make a mistake.

ALLD
09-11-2012, 05:35 PM
A good way to add plays per game and gas the defense.

polamalubeast
09-11-2012, 05:40 PM
the steelers must do the same thing that the ravens yesterday and use the no-huddle the whole game

I'll be frustrated if the steelers not use the no-huddle at the start of the game against the jets

The Steelers are horrible when they are not in the no-huddle, but they are very good at offense when they are in the no-huddle

Tomlin and Haley must stop to be stubborn and the steelers must use the no-huddle the whole game against the jets....it's been 5 years I hope to see a lot of no-huddle and I'm tired of waiting for it to happen

Moose
09-11-2012, 05:44 PM
With the speed we have in RB's and WR's I think the no-huddle would work for us. Keeping the defense on their toes without any substitutions would be to our benefit. Just keep on running, throwing and a little of Ben running would keep it interesting. I just hope Coach LeBeau can get some good defense going against the opponents no-huddle.

X-Terminator
09-11-2012, 05:46 PM
It's obvious they are better in the no-huddle, but with the stern directive to run the ball more, I doubt you see them run it the entire game. It's a damn shame, because I really believe this offense could score 24+ PPG if they ran the no-huddle all the time.

polamalubeast
09-11-2012, 05:49 PM
The Steelers have scored points in their first 4 drive with the no-huddle in Denver

And many team have had success with the no-huddle in the week one(Atlanta,Denver,Baltimore)

The Steelers can have success with the no-huddle and they must use it throughout the game

If he do not, the offense will be average

polamalubeast
09-11-2012, 05:51 PM
It's obvious they are better in the no-huddle, but with the stern directive to run the ball more, I doubt you see them run it the entire game. It's a damn shame, because I really believe this offense could score 24+ PPG if they ran the no-huddle all the time.

the Steelers have run the ball with the no-huddle in Denver

it was not a problem with Dwyer as RB(for running the ball)

86WARD
09-11-2012, 06:04 PM
Ben has always been successful in the no huddle...this really isn't new news...

GBMelBlount
09-11-2012, 08:56 PM
Ben has always been successful in the no huddle...this really isn't new news...

Exactly. This is brought up EVERY single year and yet the Steelers never seem to change anything.

It defies common sense.

Steeldude
09-11-2012, 10:39 PM
The Steelers will rarely use the no-huddle.

NCSteeler
09-12-2012, 08:13 AM
If they can catch the Defense with run game personnel in the game and switch to no huddle and where them down, that would be ideal. Our players rainey, dwyer, and heath are versatile enough to do both

suitanim
09-12-2012, 08:20 AM
On the flip side, you cannot run the no-huddle all game. First off, it's heavily predicated on the pass...if you run it 3 series in a row, and pass the ball 80% of the time, you could easily find yourself in 3-and-outs that only take seconds or a minute of the clock. Then you're doing your defense a disservice. It's a nice change-of-pace, but that's all it should be. Still, there's no reason the Steelers can't resort to it once or twice a game.

GBMelBlount
09-12-2012, 08:32 AM
On the flip side, you cannot run the no-huddle all game.

First off, it's heavily predicated on the pass...if you run it 3 series in a row, and pass the ball 80% of the time, you could easily find yourself in 3-and-outs that only take seconds or a minute of the clock.

Then you're doing your defense a disservice. It's a nice change-of-pace, but that's all it should be. Still, there's no reason the Steelers can't resort to it once or twice a game.

We have a top 5 quarterback and top 5 receiving corp....

So I am assuming you are simply saying we cannot use it ALL game and have to find the best balance....

Not that we shouldn't use it more.

suitanim
09-12-2012, 08:48 AM
We have a top 5 quarterback and top 5 receiving corp....

So I am assuming you are simply saying we cannot use it ALL game and have to find the best balance....

Not that we shouldn't use it more.

I'm saying that if we don't execute, it will place a heavy burden on the defense, especially if we face a ball-controlling opponent. You can't expect the defense to be on the field for 8 minutes, then the offense to throw 3 incomplete passes, go 3-and-out, and the defense to back on the field 60 seconds later and still be effective.

I LOVE the no-huddle. But too much of any one thing ain't good. We need to run it more than we did last year, but not run it TOO much, or it will create other problems.

GBMelBlount
09-12-2012, 08:54 AM
I'm saying that if we don't execute, it will place a heavy burden on the defense, especially if we face a ball-controlling opponent. You can't expect the defense to be on the field for 8 minutes, then the offense to throw 3 incomplete passes, go 3-and-out, and the defense to back on the field 60 seconds later and still be effective.

I LOVE the no-huddle. But too much of any one thing ain't good. We need to run it more than we did last year, but not run it TOO much, or it will create other problems.

Denver's defense didn't seem to have to many problems being on the field a lot.

Perhaps the more we do it the better our execution will become.

suitanim
09-12-2012, 09:15 AM
Let me give you an example.This preseason the Ravens ran 3 series of no-huddle against the Falcons. The result at the end of the 1st quarter? Three 3 and out's, 9 plays ran, and a total of 4 yards of offense. The Falcons were up 7-0 and knocking on the door to score again (which they did to open the second qtr 14-0).

This is the problem with over-reliance on the no-huddle. I'm not saying it's ALWAYS going to happen (obviously Denver had some success), but it is a risk. We also were victimized with a pick-6 out of the no-huddle as well...

polamalubeast
09-12-2012, 09:30 AM
you can run the ball with the no-huddle(as the steelers have done in Denver)

polamalubeast
09-12-2012, 09:36 AM
I am confident that the Steelers will use the no-huddle against the jets

You can use the no-huddle the whole game......especially that Ben often uses the 40 seconds beetween the play, even in the no-huddle

suitanim
09-12-2012, 09:39 AM
you can run the ball with the no-huddle(as the steelers have done in Denver)

Look, not every fucking thing has to lead to an argument. Statistically speaking, teams that run the no-huddle pass the ball about 70% of the time while they are in that mode. It still hardly matters, because while the clock doesn't stop, real-time is rolling along just as quickly. Maybe it takes a couple extra seconds to run a running play, but if it doesn't work, you're still in the same boat. The POINT is, if you have a 3-and-out, your defense will be right back on the field pretty quickly, and if you have a series of 3-and-outs, you start putting unnecessary strain on them. Another point is, there's a reason teams don't just run no-huddle all the time if it's so effective. Namely, ity's NOT always effective, and if it's not, there can be unwelcome consequences.

Let me reiterate a again, I LOVE running the no-huddle, just don't want to see it run all the time. For the same reasons I don't want the Steelers blitzing every down, or running 75% of the time, or passing 75% of the time.

polamalubeast
09-12-2012, 09:47 AM
Of course,the run,run,pass(or 3rd down and long) punt is a better offense

I do not care if we not run the ball because the steelers must attempt many pass, especially when the running game is bad!

You pay a QB with 3 super bowl appearance to 100 million ..... pass the ball!

suitanim
09-12-2012, 10:01 AM
But WHY does it have to be out of the no-huddle? Why can't we huddle up and run passing and running plays, chew clock, and mix-it-up by sparingly using the no-huddle as a change-of-pace?

And please don't tell me that doesn't work, because from the 5:11 mark in the second quarter until the 6:05 mark in the third, with the exception of one Bronco's kneel, that's exactly what we did against Denver. We mixed the pass and run, and ate up almost 15 minutes of clock. The only problem was in the 3rd we had to settle for a FG...again.

I'll say this one more time. I LOVE the no-huddle. Just not all the time.

suitanim
09-12-2012, 10:04 AM
And i also know how the whiny spoiled fans would be if we ran it all the time anyway...they'd start complaining when it inevitable failed on occasion, and start asking "Why do we run the no-huddle so much?"

It's just always something...

polamalubeast
09-12-2012, 10:14 AM
But WHY does it have to be out of the no-huddle? Why can't we huddle up and run passing and running plays, chew clock, and mix-it-up by sparingly using the no-huddle as a change-of-pace?

And please don't tell me that doesn't work, because from the 5:11 mark in the second quarter until the 6:05 mark in the third, with the exception of one Bronco's kneel, that's exactly what we did against Denver. We mixed the pass and run, and ate up almost 15 minutes of clock. The only problem was in the 3rd we had to settle for a FG...again.

I'll say this one more time. I LOVE the no-huddle. Just not all the time.

the steelers had made the no-huddle from the end of the 2nd quart until the end of the game

The Steelers had scored in their first 4 drive with the no-huddle(2 TD and 2 FG)...if Roethlisberger would not miss his pass to Heath Miller, it would have been 3 TD and a FG and 24 points

And i also know how the whiny spoiled fans would be if we ran it all the time anyway...they'd start complaining when it inevitable failed on occasion, and start asking "Why do we run the no-huddle so much?"

It's just always something...

the chances of winning are better when the Steelers use ​​the no-huddle.....The most frustrating loss is when you lose without having used your strength

suitanim
09-12-2012, 10:34 AM
The chances of the Steelers winning running the no-huddle all game are great.

Until they aren't.

Then the complaining will start again.

polamalubeast
09-12-2012, 10:45 AM
The chances of the Steelers winning running the no-huddle all game are great.

Until they aren't.

Then the complaining will start again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuaSJWjH_8M

And, please, stop to say that it can not work the whole game

the falcons have crushed the chiefs with no-nuddle the whole game ... same thing for the Ravens against the Bengals

Peyton Manning has crushed many defense with the no-huddle with the Colts and he made ​​the same thing in his first game with the Broncos

I am confident that the result would be the same with the steelers and the steelers must stop to be stubborn...the steelers must at least tried

suitanim
09-12-2012, 10:54 AM
Whatever.

I'm just saying that because a few teams have run it doesn't mean that we should abandon our whole offensive scheme. We LOST the game last week, by the way, and only scored 19 points, so it ain't all that great.

And there is a downside if it's not executed correctly. Whether you see it or not, it's like gravity. You don't have to understand it's effect on you for you to be effected by it...

polamalubeast
09-12-2012, 10:58 AM
it would have been 24 points if Roethlisberger would not miss his pass to Heath Miller in the end zone in the 2nd quarter

vs Denver:without the no-huddle:0 points in 3 drives

with the no-huddle: 2 TD,2 FG in 6 drives

suitanim
09-12-2012, 11:03 AM
If my aunt had a penis, she'd be my uncle.

We can play the "what-if" games all day long. You can also look back that the fact that the first 3 drives were run-run-pass, run-run-pass and run-run-pass.

polamalubeast
09-12-2012, 11:05 AM
If my aunt had a penis, she'd be my uncle.

We can play the "what-if" games all day long. You can also look back that the fact that the first 3 drives were run-run-pass, run-run-pass and run-run-pass.

facepalm

Run,run,pass <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< No huddle(or pass,pass,pass)

The steelers with the no huddle >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the steelers without the no huddle

it's not hard to understand

polamalubeast
09-12-2012, 11:17 AM
You said that a team can not have success with the no-huddle the whole game, but this is not true, as falcons and ravens were incredible to using the no-huddle the whole game

2 TD, 2 FG in 6 drives with the no-huddle is very good for the steelers

if the steelers would have use the no-huddle the whole game, at this pace the steelers would have made 30 points in only 9 drives with the no-huddle...not bad!

suitanim
09-12-2012, 11:29 AM
facepalm

Run,run,pass <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< No huddle(or pass,pass,pass)

The steelers with the no huddle >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the steelers without the no huddle

it's not hard to understand

I know it's not hard to understand. If the no-huddle was so great, and worked so well, and had no risks, every team would run it all game every game.

Far from it. THAT'S not hard to understand. I would also like to remind you that we were running the no-huddle when Ben made several errant throws into coverage that could have, perhaps SHOULD have been picked off. And of course there was the pick-6. A couple more possessions and maybe the score would have been Denver 45, Steelers 19.

It doesn't matter. We aren't going to run no-huddle all game. it just ain't gonna happen. You're welcome to hop on board the "Fire Haley" hate wagon that will soon be loading up, though...

polamalubeast
09-12-2012, 11:35 AM
A couple more possessions and maybe the score would have been Denver 45, Steelers 19.

It doesn't matter. We aren't going to run no-huddle all game. it just ain't gonna happen. You're welcome to hop on board the "Fire Haley" hate wagon that will soon be loading up, though...

with more possessions, the Steelers have scored at least 30 points with the no-huddle

The no-huddle is great when you have a very good QB and a very good WR group

The steelers have both and Roethlisberger has always been very good with the no-huddle

GBMelBlount
09-12-2012, 11:49 AM
I think we can all agree that we have done well with the no huddle and it makes sense to explore using it more.

polamalubeast
09-12-2012, 11:51 AM
I think we can all agree that we have done well with the no huddle and it makes sense to explore using it more.

suitanim is not agree

suitanim
09-12-2012, 11:58 AM
suitanim is not agree

That is incorrect.

What I SAID was that there are risks with running the no-huddle all game. Manning will probably do it in Denver, because the altitude helps wear the other team out. I expect we will do it more, and I welcome that, but I don't want to see us run an EXCLUSIVE no-huddle offense. We did an amazing job Sunday converting 3rd and longs, or else the outcome would have been far worse.

Also, and what few people are talking about, is the success Manning had against our defense running the no-huddle. I expect to see teams run it a lot more against us as it will be perceived as a defensive weakness now until we can prove otherwise...