PDA

View Full Version : Steeler booby prize thread.

zulater
09-09-2012, 11:44 PM
Ok we got our silver lining thread. So now who gets your booby prize. Who under-performed worst last night?

My top 3.

1. Isaac Redman. Last year in the playoffs he ran for 121 yards against the Broncos. Tonight he couldn't even average a measley 2 yards per carry. Did he break a tackle tonight? I know the holes weren't great, but he really looked rusty. Maybe it's rust and after effects of the injuries that did him in?

2. Lamarr Woodley. You could put him on the milk carton after the first quarter. I don't think he made a play the rest of the night.

3. Troy Polamalu. I think Troy ram himself out of more plays last night than he ran into.

polamalubeast
09-09-2012, 11:45 PM
The entire defense vs the no-huddle.....

polamalubeast
09-09-2012, 11:47 PM
it is difficult to put pressure on Peyton Manning since he thrown the ball very quickly

zulater
09-09-2012, 11:48 PM
it is difficult to put pressure on Peyton Manning since he thrown the ball very quickly

Joey Porter disagrees.

polamalubeast
09-09-2012, 11:51 PM
Joey Porter disagrees.

it was just one game

He has a very good reason why Manning gives only 15-20 sacks per year

steelreserve
09-09-2012, 11:51 PM
Redman, definitely. He flat-out disappeared.

Lewis seemed like he was just getting abused most of the night.

Clark - get your lazy ass up off the bench.

zulater
09-09-2012, 11:53 PM
it was just one game

He has a very good reason why Manning gives only 15-20 sacks per year

I understand that. But it's also true the Steelers didn't execute an effective game plan against him last night. Maybe the players? Maybe the plan? Probably quite a bit of both. Defensively we were below the line most of the night.

polamalubeast
09-09-2012, 11:57 PM
I understand that. But it's also true the Steelers didn't execute an effective game plan against him last night. Maybe the players? Maybe the plan? Probably quite a bit of both. Defensively we were below the line most of the night.

agree....the defense vs the no-huddle was awful,but fortunately, the Steelers do not play every week against Peyton

if the steelers have a bad game in defense against the jets, it will be the time to panic

but after a bad game against Peyton ... it is too early

X-Terminator
09-09-2012, 11:57 PM
Redman, definitely. He flat-out disappeared.

Lewis seemed like he was just getting abused most of the night.

Clark - get your lazy ass up off the bench.

You do realize that it was Tomlin's decision to not play Clark because of his blood condition, right? Same reason he couldn't play in the playoff game.

steelreserve
09-10-2012, 01:17 AM
yes, that was supposed to be part of the joke. or the whole joke, actually.

Count Steeler
09-10-2012, 05:15 AM
The D Linemen have to learn how to shed blocks and not get all bunched up when they are rushing the passer.

NJarhead
09-10-2012, 07:15 AM
A well rested defense that couldn't stop squat in the second half. Very underwhelming to say the least. Still, I think they'll pull it together.

Devilsdancefloor
09-10-2012, 07:50 AM
For some reason the D plays this way against manning & brady all the time, so as much as i was upset i kinda expected it

suitanim
09-10-2012, 09:29 AM
Redman suffers from "backup running back syndrome". This is no fault of his own, as it's solely a fan base malaise. Anyway, as a back-up, doing work here and there, filling in, and running situationally, he was great. But hopefully some fans learned a hard lesson today. The every-play back doesn't benefit from running out of passing formations, and running draw plays on 3rd and long, and coming in fresh to carry 3 times and then sit on the bench for half an hour. I'm not even knocking Redman, simply saying when you line up against a defense with their ears pinned back expecting a run, and you run into the teeth of it 12-15 or even 20 times a game, it's a A LOT different story.

Now Dwyer will be the fans favorite flavor of the month as he was the beneficiary of most of the above. And, don't get me wrong, he ran hard and looked good, but let's be realistic: We're a better team with Mendenhall carrying the load, and others situationally.

Hindes204
09-10-2012, 12:22 PM
Redman suffers from "backup running back syndrome". This is no fault of his own, as it's solely a fan base malaise. Anyway, as a back-up, doing work here and there, filling in, and running situationally, he was great. But hopefully some fans learned a hard lesson today. The every-play back doesn't benefit from running out of passing formations, and running draw plays on 3rd and long, and coming in fresh to carry 3 times and then sit on the bench for half an hour. I'm not even knocking Redman, simply saying when you line up against a defense with their ears pinned back expecting a run, and you run into the teeth of it 12-15 or even 20 times a game, it's a A LOT different story.

Now Dwyer will be the fans favorite flavor of the month as he was the beneficiary of most of the above. And, don't get me wrong, he ran hard and looked good, but let's be realistic: We're a better team with Mendenhall carrying the load, and others situationally.

100% agree here.

Hopefully people now understand how important Mendenhall is to our offense. I never understood all of the hate for him, and definitely never understood when people called for him to be benched in favor of Redman.

ALLD
09-10-2012, 02:18 PM
Mendy looked like our #1 and he was on the bench. Redman needs to step it up because he may have lost his starting job to Dwyer.

Steeldude
09-10-2012, 03:14 PM
Redman gets a slight pass due to the horrible blocking. Thankfully Mendenhall was still out or it could have been worse.

Polamalu was fine, being that he was the only one on defense trying to make something happen.

Yes, Woodley was absent, but that is not unusual.

I would list BR as a goat, but not a major one. Missed open WRs and failed on easy tosses. Why spike the ball with that much time left on the goal line? He could have had 3 INTs. He was severely outplayed by Manning. As of now, BR can only dream of being as good as Manning.

Taylor is another goat. He celebrated routing stops like he is the only person who could have done it. He was beaten badly and missed tackles. He needs to do less trash talking and celebrating and more covering and focusing.

suitanim
09-10-2012, 03:15 PM
Mendy looked like our #1 and he was on the bench. Redman needs to step it up because he may have lost his starting job to Dwyer.

Mendy looks like out #1 because he is. Because he's earned it. Because he's our best back. And everyone on our coaching staff knows it.

Steeldude
09-10-2012, 03:18 PM
For some reason the D plays this way against manning & brady all the time, so as much as i was upset i kinda expected it

Seems to me the Steelers play this way because they can't handle a good QB. They can handle McCoy and Vince Young, but struggle against the good QBs in the NFL. IMO, Lebeau is too afraid of good QBs to be aggressive. I think it's time to say goodbye to Lebeau after this season. It's not all his fault though. The talent on defense is lacking.

Steeldude
09-10-2012, 03:22 PM
Because he's earned it

Earned it? He was given the starting job based on his draft selection. The guy has not lived up to his draft status. Is he horrible? No. Is he great? No. He's basically an average RB who makes a splash once in awhile.

suitanim
09-10-2012, 03:37 PM
Unfortunately (although completely irrelevant), many fans can't understand these simple, simple, SIMPLE facts.

Feel bad for them...although sometimes I wonder if it might be easier to drift through life only seeing things in very simplistic monolithic terms. Retarded people seem happy much of the time...maybe they are happy because they are just too dim-witted to understand how ugly and chaotic complexity can be.

Well, whatever...Hey, there's reruns of Jersey Shore on. Yippee!

Carolina Steelers
09-10-2012, 03:39 PM

I thought the same thing, those 2 QB's have are number most of the time i dread everytime we play them. Steelers killers

Steeltreal
09-10-2012, 07:41 PM
Timmons and Woodley. 110 million over the next 5 seasons combined and u get outplayed by Larry ' vet minimum' Foote. Lets not forget #56 recovered a fumble so hes still in contention for DPOtM for Sep.

HollywoodSteel
09-10-2012, 08:40 PM
Todd Haley. I'm sitting here watching the Ravens game sick to my stomach watching Joe Flacco starts the game, no huddle play action for 50 plus yards and they never stopped. Our running game is just not good. No matter how much we wish it were, it just isn't. We have one aspect of our team that actually has chance to win us games this year and it should be the FOCUS of our offense, and it sure as hell is not our killer run game. Hell, we're sitting here longing for Rashard Mendenhall who is worse than like 5 backs who were taken after him in the draft. I'm going to give Ben some slack for pretty much only being allowed to pass on 3rd and long and actually succeeding for the most part. Ask Brady, Manning, and Breese to win with those calls and ask yourself how well they would do?

I'm drinking and watching everything going the Ravens way right now, so try to take everything I say right now with a grain of salt. I'm complimenting Cam Cameron for Christ's sake. Someone shoot me.

Burghfan58
09-10-2012, 08:58 PM
Todd Haley. I'm sitting here watching the Ravens game sick to my stomach watching Joe Flacco starts the game, no huddle play action for 50 plus yards and they never stopped. Our running game is just not good. No matter how much we wish it were, it just isn't. We have one aspect of our team that actually has chance to win us games this year and it should be the FOCUS of our offense, and it sure as hell is not our killer run game. Hell, we're sitting here longing for Rashard Mendenhall who is worse than like 5 backs who were taken after him in the draft. I'm going to give Ben some slack for pretty much only being allowed to pass on 3rd and long and actually succeeding for the most part. Ask Brady, Manning, and Breese to win with those calls and ask yourself how well they would do?

I'm drinking and watching everything going the Ravens way right now, so try to take everything I say right now with a grain of salt. I'm complimenting Cam Cameron for Christ's sake. Someone shoot me.

Calm down. Playing Andy Dalton and Cincy at home on opening night is a bit different than playing Manning and the Broncs at mile high. The Steelers game plan was to control the clock and keep Manning on the bench which they did for the most part. The problem was the offense left too many points on the field. The defense on the other hand is a bit of a concern. Let's see where they stand in a few weeks.

86WARD
09-10-2012, 09:01 PM
Redman didn't under perform. He's just not good. If anything, he over performed in the past.

tube517
09-10-2012, 09:05 PM
Sky is falling cat, where are you? :chuckle:

zulater
09-10-2012, 09:16 PM
Redman didn't under perform. He's just not good. If anything, he over performed in the past.

I think that's a ridiculous assertion. Last year in two starts he averaged over 100 yards er game. He was among the best backs in the league last year in converting short yardage situations.

The guy had an injury riddled August and has been missing practices all summer as a result. I don't think he was near his best health or timing wise yesterday.

SteelGhost
09-10-2012, 09:46 PM
Sky is falling cat, where are you? :chuckle:

There you go tube :chuckle:

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/sky-is-falling.jpg

The whole defense was off. The TOP dominance means nothing if you opponent score FAST :noidea:

I hope the running game improves, definitely we need Rashard AND better OL blocking.

86WARD
09-10-2012, 09:58 PM
I think that's a ridiculous assertion. Last year in two starts he averaged over 100 yards er game. He was among the best backs in the league last year in converting short yardage situations.

The guy had an injury riddled August and has been missing practices all summer as a result. I don't think he was near his best health or timing wise yesterday.

He was a camp sensation and over performed in the games he had. He's not a starting NFL running back...he's just not no matter how much people want him to be, he's just not a starting back. He averaged 262 yards over 3 games as a starter...that's good for a serviceable back, which Redman is. He's not a starter.

tube517
09-10-2012, 11:35 PM
There you go tube :chuckle:

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/sky-is-falling.jpg

The whole defense was off. The TOP dominance means nothing if you opponent score FAST :noidea:

I hope the running game improves, definitely e need Rashard AND better OL blocking.

Ah, there it is.

We should sticky that picture and make a "Sky is falling" thread. :chuckle:

Steeldude
09-11-2012, 12:38 AM
many fans can't understand these simple, simple, SIMPLE facts.

You haven't stated any facts. You state your opinion and claim it be fact. Much like how you claimed Tony Hills is the starting RG and anyone disagreeing with your claimed fact you labeled an idiot.

Or should I bring up how you stated gaining weight cannot affect a player's speed? :sofunny:

LLT
09-11-2012, 01:32 AM
Just adding my two cents.

Our offense suffered due to having Legursky and Adams on the same side. Legs is a good blocker head to head, but as I said in the past...he lunges when he has to get into the second level and raises out of his stance when he is looking for a man to block in hte passing game. Having a rookie beside him who was struggling mightely against speed rushers (terrible kick step to his right), was a disaster. In truth, Starks was having his own issues on the left side.

Our defense struggled for one reason only......there has NEVER...EVER...been a QB in the league that can read a defense and make line adjustments like Manning. This defense is going to have to learn to hide their blitz and coverage packages until the last second.

The good news is that there is only one Peyton Manning (No...Brady is NOT in the same tier) so our defense will look better sooner than later.....and Adams, though bad, was no worse than when we all watched Gilbert go through growing pains during his first several starts.

Lets see how the offense does with Foster/Gilbert healthy..........and our defense with Harrison/Clark in the lineup. THEN if they struggle...we can all throw our hands into the air and proclaim its the end of the world.

Austin87
09-11-2012, 05:35 AM
Lets see how the offense does with Foster/Gilbert healthy..........and our defense with Harrison/Clark in the lineup. THEN if they struggle...we can all throw our hands into the air and proclaim its the end of the world.

This.

86WARD
09-11-2012, 07:53 AM
The over reaction to one game is kind of funny. I think a lot of us predicted they would lose in Denver. I for one thought they'd put up a better showing. The defense was horrible and any team that can remotely pass, will defeat that defense put out there against the Broncos. Harrison will help. Clark will help. Bit that defense against the Broncos isn't stopping any team with a decent QB.

Pristas
09-11-2012, 09:55 AM
First game is first game. My booby prize goes to her:

http://coedmagazine.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/steelers-underboob-3.jpg

suitanim
09-11-2012, 10:35 AM
Anyways, have talked to a few people (Steelers fans and others), and someone brought up a good point: If the middle is clogged, and you have a RB who's going to cut back against the grain, or bust it outside, would you rather have Mendenhall, or a slower Dywer or Redman doing it?

this goes back to what we talked about ad nauseum last year, this assumption that Redman will ALWAYS be the better runner because he's pretty much a North-to-South power running back. Sunday night showed that he does have some moves, but that Mendenhall is better at being nifty in open space, and improvising.

That's why he's our starter and Redman and Dwyer are back-ups.

cold-hard-steel
09-11-2012, 12:02 PM
Anyways, have talked to a few people (Steelers fans and others), and someone brought up a good point: If the middle is clogged, and you have a RB who's going to cut back against the grain, or bust it outside, would you rather have Mendenhall, or a slower Dywer or Redman doing it?

this goes back to what we talked about ad nauseum last year, this assumption that Redman will ALWAYS be the better runner because he's pretty much a North-to-South power running back. Sunday night showed that he does have some moves, but that Mendenhall is better at being nifty in open space, and improvising.

I don't care who you talked to,we lost one game move on. Now that is SIMPLE.

Austin87
09-11-2012, 02:21 PM
First game is first game. My booby prize goes to her:

http://coedmagazine.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/steelers-underboob-3.jpg

She's so nice, I want to see her twice.

stillers4me
09-11-2012, 04:19 PM
Personally, I enjoyed watching Troy play head games with Peyton.

HollywoodSteel
09-11-2012, 07:21 PM

I think it's a good point, and I've been actually thinking along the same lines, but for me it was observing that Dwyer is better at it than Redman. That said, is it arguable that Dwyer is better at it than Mendenhall? Not as far as physical ability goes, just in terms of vision and quickness to make the decision. The critism of Mendy that I most often hear from fans is that that he tends to wait around for holes to open right in front of him that never materialize.

For the record I'm not actually suggesting that Dwyer is the better back. Just food for thought.

suitanim
09-12-2012, 08:12 AM
I think it's a good point, and I've been actually thinking along the same lines, but for me it was observing that Dwyer is better at it than Redman. That said, is it arguable that Dwyer is better at it than Mendenhall? Not as far as physical ability goes, just in terms of vision and quickness to make the decision. The critism of Mendy that I most often hear from fans is that that he tends to wait around for holes to open right in front of him that never materialize.

For the record I'm not actually suggesting that Dwyer is the better back. Just food for thought.

Who knows? He's definitely not as fast, but he certainly runs hard. He has earned more carries, and with those more carries we'll start to see what we really have.

Still can't believe there are people who don't or won't understand what we have in Mendenhall...and their inability to grasp the fact that A) He's the starter and B) There's a damned food reason why the coaches made that so