PDA

View Full Version : Mike Adams - A passing grade. Legursky - not so much.

Craic
09-09-2012, 10:55 PM
I was thoroughly impressed with Adams tonight. He had one mistake on a run where a DL sliced through. Fine. However, except for that one play, we didn't hear his name called once. Furthermore, I watched him stop Dumervil (or their other rusher) more than once by himself. I don't know how he took the step from preseason to now, but it was a very big step. I wonder if playing on the left side had anything to do with it. Either way, I was definitely much happier with him tonight than at any point in the preseason. Matter of fact, I think his performance tonight could be graded out at "average" for a 3 or 4 year vet 0 and saying a lot.

Legursky. I hang my head in shame. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think he should be demoted to backup center ONLY. He just cannot play the guard position. He looked like a rooking at there. Actually, he looked like Adams in preseason.

tube517
09-09-2012, 10:58 PM
What happened to Foster? All I heard was eye injury.

Devilsdancefloor
09-09-2012, 11:01 PM
I was thoroughly impressed with Adams tonight. He had one mistake on a run where a DL sliced through. Fine. However, except for that one play, we didn't hear his name called once. Furthermore, I watched him stop Dumervil (or their other rusher) more than once by himself. I don't know how he took the step from preseason to now, but it was a very big step. I wonder if playing on the left side had anything to do with it. Either way, I was definitely much happier with him tonight than at any point in the preseason. Matter of fact, I think his performance tonight could be graded out at "average" for a 3 or 4 year vet 0 and saying a lot.

Legursky. I hang my head in shame. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think he should be demoted to backup center ONLY. He just cannot play the guard position. He looked like a rooking at there. Actually, he looked like Adams in preseason.

well he was forced to play because no other Oline where dressed so even if he ws just C backup he wuld have played guard and he does get a D grade for sure, which saddens me a bit a big supporter of his just hoping it was a bad game

Craic
09-09-2012, 11:05 PM
well he was forced to play because no other Oline where dressed so even if he ws just C backup he wuld have played guard and he does get a D grade for sure, which saddens me a bit a big supporter of his just hoping it was a bad game

I've been a big supporter of his as well, but from what I've seen in this game, eh, not so much anymore. The thing is though, he is considered the number 1 backup at all three interior positions. That is what scares me.

Steeldude
09-09-2012, 11:14 PM
The only name I didn't hear called was Pouncey.

fansince'76
09-09-2012, 11:16 PM
Heath still had to stay home WAY too much to block, as usual. He was a beast the few times he was able to actually run a pattern.

Austin87
09-09-2012, 11:18 PM

Adams had 2 bad plays, there was a sack on Ben where Adams got beat on the edge. But to be honest he impressed me tonight as well.

Legursky on the other hand, shouldn't be playing in the NFL. We cut Essex, but we kept Legursky, why? Why cut only one of them, they both suck? He played one good game at center once, he can't play guard and he isn't strong enough to play center. It makes no sense to me why Legursky is still on the team.

Craic
09-09-2012, 11:20 PM
The only name I didn't hear called was Pouncey.

Starks. The one time he was called out, it was when he got beat, but stayed with his man enough that Ben still had the time to do what he needed to do. Starks and Pouncey had the best games of the line.

SteelerFanInStl
09-09-2012, 11:22 PM
I agree, Adams did play pretty well and Legursky sucked.

Craic
09-09-2012, 11:23 PM
Adams had 2 bad plays, there was a sack on Ben where Adams got beat on the edge. But to be honest he impressed me tonight as well.

Legursky on the other hand, shouldn't be playing in the NFL. We cut Essex, but we kept Legursky, why? Why cut only one of them, they both suck? He played one good game at center once, he can't play guard and he isn't strong enough to play center. It makes no sense to me why Legursky is still on the team.

No, on Legursky, he is a pretty dang good backup center. The problem is, that's about the only position he's really shown any good ability at. Every snap he plays center, whether its preseason, season, or postseason, he does well. It's when he has to slide out to guard that it becomes a problem. Compare that to Essex, who has problems at Guard AND at center, and has barely even played center. Fact is, when a guy can play your position as good as you, as well as his own position, your expendable. That's what happened to Essex.

Austin87
09-09-2012, 11:34 PM
No, on Legursky, he is a pretty dang good backup center. The problem is, that's about the only position he's really shown any good ability at. Every snap he plays center, whether its preseason, season, or postseason, he does well. It's when he has to slide out to guard that it becomes a problem. Compare that to Essex, who has problems at Guard AND at center, and has barely even played center. Fact is, when a guy can play your position as good as you, as well as his own position, your expendable. That's what happened to Essex.

Legursky has major run blocking issues when playing center. And he just looks lost at guard, we need someone who can play center and guard. Legursky can only play center.

Chidi29
09-10-2012, 12:09 AM

...and if you only play one position as a backup, you shouldn't be here.

That's why Essex should be here and not Legursky.

JayC
09-10-2012, 08:24 AM
i have come to accept the fact that we will never play a full game with a whole starting offensive line

tube517
09-10-2012, 08:40 AM
i have come to accept the fact that we will never play a full game with a whole starting offensive line

I agree. Seeing a line of Adams Colon Pouncey DeCastro Gilbert is just a dream.

Sent from a jive turkee

Craic
09-10-2012, 10:53 AM
...and if you only play one position as a backup, you shouldn't be here.

That's why Essex should be here and not Legursky.

Except that. Essex is no center. So would you rather have someone who can play Center at a passing grade, though not a good grade, can play Guard at about a D- Grade; Or would you rather have a person who can play Guard at a D- Grade, and Tackle at about the same grade.

Remember, that would leave us WITHOUT a backup center. I think every team carries a backup center specifically because of its importance. Much like carrying a backup QB, instead of a player that can be a QB or a wide receiver or a Running back.

I'm not defending the guy (anymore, not after what I saw last night), but I really don't find Essex being an upgrade over him, and losing a backup center that Ben is comfortable with is even worse, IMO. How many fumbles and turnovers do you think we'd have with Essex snapping the ball? It's not the guy's position, and there is a reason he was tried and then not kept at that position.

Craic
09-10-2012, 10:55 AM
I agree. Seeing a line of Adams Colon Pouncey DeCastro Gilbert is just a dream.

Sent from a jive turkee

Yeah, but after watching the way Starks played last night, I'm not sure I want to see that line. How about

Starks, Colon, Pouncey, DeCastro, Adams.

Adams looks to be a much better player on the right side, and played a thousand times better there in his first game than Gilbert did last year.

Chidi29
09-10-2012, 11:03 AM
Yeah, but after watching the way Starks played last night, I'm not sure I want to see that line. How about

Adams looks to be a much better player on the right side, and played a thousand times better there in his first game than Gilbert did last year.

Against Von Miller to boot.

Craic
09-10-2012, 11:07 AM
Against Von Miller to boot.

No doubt. Maybe that knee injury in pre-season was the best thing that could have happened to him?

cold-hard-steel
09-10-2012, 11:08 AM

I have to agree with this.And its a cryin shame.

Chidi29
09-10-2012, 11:09 AM
No doubt. Maybe that knee injury in pre-season was the best thing that could have happened to him?

Yeah, I can't figure it out either. Normally, I'd point to playing at right tackle and facing a slightly easier edge rusher (where I've wanted Adams at from day one) but that wasn't the case last night.

My ideal line is still: Gilbert, Colon, Pouncey, DeCastro, Adams

tube517
09-10-2012, 01:46 PM

I don't care if Gilbert or Adams plays RT or LT. That will work itself out. My point is the guys everyone wants as the starting 5 never seem to be together due to injury.

Craic
09-10-2012, 04:11 PM
I don't care if Gilbert or Adams plays RT or LT. That will work itself out. My point is the guys everyone wants as the starting 5 never seem to be together due to injury.

Yeah, but why should that happen? I mean, if all five guys started more than three times together, it'd through the entire offense so off balance we'd have to bench one of the lineman just so that the team would be back in its comfortzone.

:sarcasm: