PDA

View Full Version : Worst Defensive Performance since... last year's opener.

Edman
09-09-2012, 10:30 PM
We know Manning's a good QB, but we've handled him well in the past. So what's different from then and now? It could just be that this Defense really has taken a step back and we're potentially in for a pretty long season. This squad better show me something in upcoming weeks, because tonight didn't shut up any critics at all.

fansince'76
09-09-2012, 10:33 PM
No, letting that fraud Tebow do what he did last January was worse.

SteelerEmpire
09-09-2012, 10:34 PM
This team played like straight crap tonight...

X-Terminator
Let's not leave the offense out of this equation. They were way too conservative early in the game and that missed TD pass by Ben turned out to be a big play. So yeah, the defense was pretty awful, but the offense and the playcalling clearly needs work.

zulater
Unless James Harrison circa 2008 is coming back this is looking like it's a bad defense.

Ziggy Hood and Cameron Heyward were wasted first round picks.

SteelerEmpire
09-09-2012, 10:36 PM
Let's not leave the offense out of this equation. They were way too conservative early in the game and that missed TD pass by Ben turned out to be a big play. So yeah, the defense was pretty awful, but the offense and the playcalling clearly needs work.

Yep. And Ben is not fully "on" still...

zulater
09-09-2012, 10:36 PM

The offense, as always looks disjointed until Ben makes something out of nothing.

the defense on the other hand looks like it's worthless.

Devilsdancefloor
09-09-2012, 10:38 PM
The D couldnt stop the RUN and that setup freaking everything we couldnt stop anything in the 2nd half and we settled for FG ugh

SteelerEmpire
This means we lost our last 2 games... vs Denver.

Edman

Like I said in the thread, when we don't have Defense, we don't win.

The Defense really needed help tonight from the O, but once again they played mediocre. They moved the ball well, but once again settled for FG's on Goal to go situations. Ben's misfire to a WO Heath Miller may have been the play that lost this game.

Chidi29
09-09-2012, 10:39 PM
Guys, chill out. I really haven't been able to see much of the game so you guys do have a better look on it, but still, it's Week One. Let's not knee jerk after one game.

fansince'76
09-09-2012, 10:40 PM
Guys, chill out. I really haven't been able to see much of the game so you guys do have a better look on it, but still, it's Week One. Let's not knee jerk after one game.

They have LOTS of work to do...

SteelerEmpire
09-09-2012, 10:40 PM
Either this team is REALLY REALLY bad, or they just played REALLY REALLY bad tonight... smh

polamalubeast
09-09-2012, 10:42 PM
peyton manning is peyton manning....not forget....

X-Terminator

I wasn't able to watch the game at all, but it didn't sound very good. Looks like the team needs a lot of work on both sides of the ball.

steelpride12
I'm sorry, I used to be the guy who would say "see you next season this one's over," but I can't. It's 1 game, Manning is a football genius and I think we win if it's majority of the other teams out there. The D has work to do, hopefully next week we get Harrison back and we will have Clark back. I believe I still do.

polamalubeast
09-09-2012, 10:43 PM
but the steelers vs the no-huddle was awful

JayC
yeah it looks like shit and smells like shit but i'll give them at least one more week before i agree about being a shit team.

Edman
Either this team is REALLY REALLY bad, or they just played REALLY REALLY bad tonight... smh

We lost 35-7 to Baltimore last season's opener, looking far worse than tonight, and to a much inferior Quarterback. Broncos' No-Huddle was just too much. At least we lost to a Good Quarterback this time and not Tim Tebow or Joe Flacco.

All the team can do is put the loss behind them and get ready for next week.

zulater

The Defense really needed help tonight from the O, but once again they played mediocre. They moved the ball well, but once again settled for FG's on Goal to go situations. Ben's misfire to a WO Heath Miller may have been the play that lost this game.

. Ben was about the only reason we were in the game. How many 3rd and longs did he have to convert tonight? We had no running game. The supposed short passing game was a non starter. Nope. All we had all night is Ben miraculously converting one long third down after another, keeping a badly overmatched team in the game until the final 3 minutes.

dislocatedday
I was thinking the same thing. I expect them to rebound after tonight's debacle, but who knows. The team is going to have to find some young playmakers on defense sooner rather than later though. Nobody stood out in a real postive manner between the LBs and the secondary. I thought Foote played decent, but that was about it.

Steeldude
09-09-2012, 10:46 PM
These are the same problems(offense and defense) the Steelers have been experiencing for years. It's not a surprise.

Remember the reporter stating Tomlin would use the no-huddle if it works. We all knew if it worked it would be ignored as an option.

The Steelers had zero sense of urgency. There is no excuse for such poor effort. I would say more, but I know the rah-rah fans will start crying.

Devilsdancefloor
09-09-2012, 10:46 PM
i thought we where making strides ball control and then manning comes out 2 plays and a 80 yard TD Mr Taylor you didnt not shut up Stephen A. The D plays so difffeerent with clark on the sidelines. im kinda at a loss of words

polamalubeast
09-09-2012, 10:47 PM
It would be necessary to given credit to Peyton Manning...I have already seen the worst performences from the steelers....The Steelers still had a chance to win with 3 minutes to go

And the steelers will not play against Peyton Manning every week

zulater
I was thinking the same thing. I expect them to rebound after tonight's debacle, but who knows. The team is going to have to find some young playmakers on defense sooner rather than later though. Nobody stood out in a real postive manner between the LBs and the secondary. I thought Foote played decent, but that was about it.

Foote played real well early, but like the rest of the defense was awful in the 2nd half. They can't use fatigue as an excuse, as they were barely on the field.

X-Terminator
These are the same problems(offense and defense) the Steelers have been experiencing for years. It's not a surprise.

Remember the reporter stating Tomlin would use the no-huddle if it works. We all knew if it worked it would be ignored as an option.

The Steelers had zero sense of urgency. There is no excuse for such poor effort. I would say more, but I know the rah-rah fans will start crying.

Don't think you're going to get that out of anyone tonight. I think everyone agrees that it was a terrible effort by all involved.

tube517
09-09-2012, 10:48 PM
Yeah, the offense wasn't too bad but they need to get TD's not FGs.

The pass defense was bad but the rush defense was disappointing. Stopping the run is supposed to be our bread and butter.

And the no huddle killed the D tonight.

Still a long way to write them off though.

Shoes
09-09-2012, 10:48 PM
Unless James Harrison circa 2008 is coming back this is looking like it's a bad defense.

They looked really bad...so much for Ziggy's youtube training video.

SteelerEmpire
09-09-2012, 10:49 PM

The D played Troy too conservatively. In addition, it's like LeBeau has not even trained them for the no-huddle. That was just beyond pathetic. We've played our last 2 games against this team and lost both, theres a drop in strategic planning on the side of the team's coaches.

Chidi29
09-09-2012, 10:49 PM
They have LOTS of work to do...

Sure they do. It's week one on the road in a pretty hostile environment. I'm not happy about it but not that surprised by it either.

zulater
09-09-2012, 10:50 PM
Don't think you're going to get that out of anyone tonight. I think everyone agrees that it was a terrible effort by all involved.

No you're missing the point. He has to tell everyone here how much better he is, and how he's all knowing and we're sheep.

polamalubeast
09-09-2012, 10:53 PM
the steelers were not terrible tonight!

in the defense against the no-huddle yes, but the defeat against the Texans, 49ers and the first against the ravens were 100 times worse than today

Devilsdancefloor
Well im going to get all positive on you all last 2 times manning beat us in the regular season we won the super bowl

zulater
Sure they do. It's week one on the road in a pretty hostile environment. I'm not happy about it but not that surprised by it either.

The level of domination by the Broncos was way worse than the scoreboard would suggest. And make no mistake about it we were dominated on both sides of the ball.

zulater
09-09-2012, 10:54 PM
the steelers were not terrible tonight!

in the defense against the no-huddle yes, but the defeat against the Texans, 49ers and the first against the ravens were 100 times worse than today

The Ravens yes, the other two, not even close. We were way worse tonight.

fansince'76
09-09-2012, 10:56 PM
No you're missing the point. He has to tell everyone here how much better he is, and how he's all knowing and we're sheep.

Pretty much.

polamalubeast
The Ravens yes, the other two, not even close. We were way worse tonight.

this is overreaction

the steelers led 19-14 at the beginning of the 4th quarter

You forget that the Steelers played against Peyton Manning!...Peyton Manning:rolleyes:

Shoes
I didn't see McLendon out there.....is he injured?

Edman
The level of domination by the Broncos was way worse than the scoreboard would suggest. And make no mistake about it we were dominated on both sides of the ball.

The Steelers led 10-7 at Halftime. The Offense was moving the ball at will on Denver's Defense. That's not Domination.

We lost this simply because we couldn't stop Manning and the No-Huddle.

Devilsdancefloor
09-09-2012, 10:58 PM
I didn't see McLendon out there.....is he injured?

nope he played like everyone one else on the D line Quiet this evening

Carolina Steelers

I agree its only week 1, but get ready for the Broncos vs Redskins Super Bowl talk. LOL this is a week to week league but we got some work to do

polamalubeast
This is not the first time that Peyton Manning destroys a defense with the no-huddle

if the steelers would have been better against the no-huddle, the Steelers would have won

zulater
09-09-2012, 11:03 PM
The Steelers led 10-7 at Halftime. The Offense was moving the ball at will on Denver's Defense. That's not Domination.

We lost this simply because we couldn't stop Manning and the No-Huddle.

Yeah I know what the score was. I also know we possessed the ball the entire 3rd quarter and still managed to get outscored in it. :doh: I know we had the ball with a chance to win with 3 minutes to go.

But at the time I even suggested that if we won it would be as a result of Ben stealing the game.

The Steelers looked disjointed all night while the Broncos always looked composed. And well, just better. They're better on both lines, their linebackers were better, their defensive backs were way better.

Call it a draw with our receivers. But Redman looked rusty.

I don't know, we just looked out of sorts all night.

SteelersFan710
09-09-2012, 11:06 PM
Has anyone noticed that all of last season, and now continuing into this season, we have lost a game whenever Phil Simms or Chris Collinsworth is commentating. Well except once late last year. Trying not to be superstitious, but I smell something fishy.

Austin87
09-09-2012, 11:06 PM
I am more worried about our rush defense, what happened there? Peyton played lights out againt us, but that is understandable. He just reminder everyone out there that he is still the best QB in the NFL.

Shoes
09-09-2012, 11:07 PM
Has anyone noticed that all of last season, and now continuing into this season, we have lost a game whenever Phil Simms or Chris Collinsworth is commentating. Well except once late last year. Trying not to be superstitious, but I smell something fishy.

What????

Steeldude
09-09-2012, 11:09 PM
I am more worried about our rush defense, what happened there? Peyton played lights out againt us, but that is understandable. He just reminder everyone out there that he is still the best QB in the NFL.

1. No Harrison.

2. Lebeau played a passive defense again and it killed the Steelers again.

zulater
09-09-2012, 11:11 PM
1. No Harrison.

The problem is, will Harrison be Harrison when he comes back?

Steeldude
09-09-2012, 11:12 PM

Are you sure about that?

Zulater is already whining...lol

polamalubeast
09-09-2012, 11:13 PM

I would have liked that Lebeau be passive against Tebow last year

the result would have been different

fansince'76
09-09-2012, 11:13 PM
1. No Harrison.

Passive? I counted plenty of times where we blitzed and still couldn't get there. No rust on Manning.

Chidi29
09-09-2012, 11:15 PM
Yeah I know what the score was. I also know we possessed the ball the entire 3rd quarter and still managed to get outscored in it. :doh: I know we had the ball with a chance to win with 3 minutes to go.

But at the time I even suggested that if we won it would be as a result of Ben stealing the game.

The Steelers looked disjointed all night while the Broncos always looked composed. And well, just better. They're better on both lines, their linebackers were better, their defensive backs were way better.

Call it a draw with our receivers. But Redman looked rusty.

I don't know, we just looked out of sorts all night.

And despite all that, we still came close to pulling out a victory.

Ideally, we won't look this sloppy all year and be able to win games like this.

Craic
09-09-2012, 11:18 PM
Maybe now people will take a second and realize that it wasn't a fluke that Tebow beat us. I mean, it's been well documented for quite some time that this team struggles against the pass at key points in the game . . . or at all points in the game in games like tonight.

SteelerFanInStl
09-09-2012, 11:19 PM

I agree. No one else can get any pressure on the QB.

As far as recent draft picks go, if you think about it, the only truly great players that we've drafted in the last 5 years has been Pouncey, Wallace and Brown. I'm not giving up on Ziggy and Heyward but I would have thought by now we'd be seeing more out of them, especially Ziggy.

Where was Keisel tonight? I don't think that I heard his name once.

I think that this game once again shows how under-rated Ryan Clark is. Our secondary falls apart without him.

Shoes
09-09-2012, 11:21 PM
And despite all that, we still came close to pulling out a victory.

Ideally, we won't look this sloppy all year and be able to win games like this.

Despite all that, the game ended in humiliation...again. There is no excuse for such slothful playing.

polamalubeast
09-09-2012, 11:24 PM
if you watched the Colts game in the last 10 years, the Broncos offense looked like this

I can not believe that nobody realize that the steelers played maybe against the best QB in nfl history

zulater
09-09-2012, 11:25 PM
Are you sure about that?

Zulater is already whining...lol

Lol? You're the only one laughing tonight Dude.

polamalubeast
09-09-2012, 11:27 PM
Peyton Manning had also destroyed the 49ers defense during the 3rd game pre-season with 2 TD and a FG in 3 drive

steel9guy
09-09-2012, 11:30 PM
Our secondary is weak. I like the rest of the D. We just don't adjust to anything at all. Ever. No Huddle prevent D is ridiculous

Craic
09-09-2012, 11:39 PM
I agree. No one else can get any pressure on the QB.

As far as recent draft picks go, if you think about it, the only truly great players that we've drafted in the last 5 years has been Pouncey, Wallace and Brown. I'm not giving up on Ziggy and Heyward but I would have thought by now we'd be seeing more out of them, especially Ziggy.

Where was Keisel tonight? I don't think that I heard his name once.

I think that this game once again shows how under-rated Ryan Clark is. Our secondary falls apart without him.

Wow, you would think that Manning was holding the ball for 4 and 5 seconds and being given all day to throw. Yeah, that happened a handful of times. But Manning made a choice and threw the ball. Quickly. Add to that, the fact that our center fielder was out, which meant Troy had to hang back most of the game, which completely changed the face of the game. Then, add to that the fact that Harrison was out, and you actually have 3 of our best guys who are not able to take up their roles on defense. Throw in a first season starting cornerback (who, all things considered, could have played much worse), and you have what we got tonight.

There's no reason at all to hit the panic button, and considering Heyward and Ziggy wasted picks one game into this year is laughable at best. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. You can't judge what is a "problem" until the sixth game. Until then, things are still in flux. If it hasn't been fixed by the sixth game, THEN, I start to worry.

polamalubeast
09-09-2012, 11:41 PM
Wow, you would think that Manning was holding the ball for 4 and 5 seconds and being given all day to throw. Yeah, that happened a handful of times. But Manning made a choice and threw the ball. Quickly. Add to that, the fact that our center fielder was out, which meant Troy had to hang back most of the game, which completely changed the face of the game. Then, add to that the fact that Harrison was out, and you actually have 3 of our best guys who are not able to take up their roles on defense. Throw in a first season starting cornerback (who, all things considered, could have played much worse), and you have what we got tonight.

There's no reason at all to hit the panic button, and considering Heyward and Ziggy wasted picks one game into this year is laughable at best. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. You can't judge what is a "problem" until the sixth game. Until then, things are still in flux. If it hasn't been fixed by the sixth game, THEN, I start to worry.

agree and this is the same thing for Haley!

oneforthetoe
09-10-2012, 01:32 AM

I was working and had trouble seeing some of the game. However, it looked to me that the most of the run defense problems were actually related to Peyton and the no-huddle. In particular, on the one second half Denver drive, where they ran the ball all the way across the 50, It seemed like Peyton kept audibling to a run call when we had the wrong personnel in the game. It just looked to me that a few times we were in our two d'linemen front and Peyton just checked down to a running play. I'd have to see the game again to be sure, but it looked like that to me.

Passive? I counted plenty of times where we blitzed and still couldn't get there. No rust on Manning.

Yes, but don't you know every time we don't get to the qb it is because we didn't blitz. It is never because the other team had a HOF QB at the top of his game. It is just like how every bad offensive play is because of play callling and has nothing to do with the other teams defense.

but the steelers vs the no-huddle was awful

That would be the Peyton Manning no-huddle offense - as opposed to the run-of-mill no-huddle offense.

bayz101
09-10-2012, 01:47 AM

If anything, the defense needed to help the damn offense!

Steeldude
09-10-2012, 03:09 AM
Lol? You're the only one laughing tonight Dude.

Laughter is the bet medicine. You, on the other hand, chose whining : )

zulater
09-10-2012, 04:42 AM
Laughter is the bet medicine. You, on the other hand, chose whining : )

Any examples you care to share?

If not I'd suggest you keep my name off your posts.

Butch
09-10-2012, 05:44 AM
It's game one and already the sky is falling. They simply made the plays we didn't and not to make excuses but our o-line is decimated with injuries and we were without Ryan Clark so it took a lot away from us using Troy as Troy. We were not completely in synch most of the game and long drives are nice but you have to score. Yes there is much to be improved on, but again it's only week 1 we have time to recover.

NCSteeler
09-10-2012, 08:01 AM
I agree its only week 1, but get ready for the Broncos vs Redskins Super Bowl talk. LOL this is a week to week league but we got some work to do

Everyone knows it's going to be Jets vs Redskins SB , silly

NCSteeler
09-10-2012, 08:06 AM
I can guarantee this much, until this D proves on the field that they can stop the no huddle, we can expect to see a lot of it. There is a reason the Rats ran no huddle almost exclusively in the preseason with the #1s in the game. They have got to find an answers.

On a side note people are really learning the value of Ryan Clark/Chris Hope When Troy has to play soft we suck, only real question is will another Troy be available in the draft in the next 3 years and will we suck enough to get him or have to make a big move up the boards?

st33lersguy
09-10-2012, 09:10 AM
Actually the worst defensive performance since the last time they were in Denver

Mamaduck43
09-10-2012, 09:29 AM
I became a "Peyton is the real deal" believer last night... The man read our emaciated defense on just about every play and made last minute adjustments that negated what little effectiveness we had... And the biggie was that he read Troy perfectly on just about every play...... I think that CC even remarked on that during the 4th quarter.... I also believe that our Offense just got plain old tired.... We need work - - lots of work - - - but I am not setting the Doomsday clock on fast forward based on last night's performance... In many ways, it seemed like we were still in pre-season mode... And with many of our 'starters' on the sidelines, it was difficult to put together what should be the norm further in the season...

And now one of my personal gripes - - why the hell are we always going to Denver??? Shouldn't it be one year at home, the next time away??? Playing at altitude is difficult, at best - - and it is strange that there is no equity in scheduling..... Sheesh...

SteelerFanInStl
09-10-2012, 08:04 PM

I'm not hitting the panic button, just stating some thoughts after the game. Manning had as much time as he wanted all night. There was no pressure without James. This could very well be what we're looking at in the near future with James's injury problems.

It wasn't me that said that Ziggy and Heyward were wasted picks. I said that I wasn't going to give up on them yet. I do believe that Ziggy should be contributing more than he is by now. I expect more out of a first round pick.

My faith is still strong and I'm just hoping that we can hang on while people heal, kind of like the Giants did last year.

dislocatedday
09-10-2012, 08:30 PM
I'm not hitting the panic button, just stating some thoughts after the game. Manning had as much time as he wanted all night. There was no pressure without James. This could very well be what we're looking at in the near future with James's injury problems.

It wasn't me that said that Ziggy and Heyward were wasted picks. I said that I wasn't going to give up on them yet. I do believe that Ziggy should be contributing more than he is by now. I expect more out of a first round pick.

My faith is still strong and I'm just hoping that we can hang on while people heal, kind of like the Giants did last year.

The more James is on the sidelines, the more I have come to appreciate just how much he has meant to this team. I know I am stating the obvious, but when either he or Troy are not on the field the defense is noticeably weaker overall. Without James, this team just is not able to consistently get pressure.....and I don't see any young player on this team yet who has given me the impression that he will be able to even come close to filling James' shoes when he is gone.

Manning is too good, and much like Brady, when he gets time in the pocket he is going to pick a team apart. When the Steelers beat the Colts as underdogs in the 2006 playoffs they consistently got pressure on Manning and disrupted his timing. The Giants have been able to beat the Patriots in a couple Super Bowls recently primarily because of their ability to get pressure on Brady. This is why teams pay big bucks to extraordinary pass rushers.