PDA

View Full Version : Steelers’ Wallace working toward starting opener

polamalubeast
09-06-2012, 04:05 PM
Steelers receiver Mike Wallace isn’t saying whether he’ll start in Denver on Sunday, less than a week after ending his extended holdout. The way he’s talking, he’ll be satisfied merely with playing.

Wallace worked extensively in practice Thursday — fellow receiver Antonio Brown said he was as fast as ever — but said later he will be happy with any role offensive coordinator Todd Haley has for him.

“We’ll have to see on Sunday,” Wallace told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “I’m working towards it (starting). I’ve been out there practicing pretty hard to get to where I need to be. We’ll see if I’m ready to play on Sunday. But I’m feeling pretty good. Hopefully I can use these next two (practice) days to my advantage.”

The Steelers will hold a light workout Friday at their South Side complex and have a walkthrough Saturday before leaving for Denver and their Sunday night opener against the Broncos, who upset them in a wild-card playoff game in January.

Haley hasn’t defined Wallace’s role for the opener — Wallace missed all of training camp during a 35-day contract holdout — but it’s apparent he wants to get the Steelers’ top big-play threat into the offense in a major role as soon as possible.

“We know that Mike has been a big part of this, and he’s going to be a big part of this as we go forward,” Haley said. “He’s had a couple days to get acclimated. He’s been studying, he’s kept himself in shape, so he’ll have a chance to succeed. You can tell that he’s a true pro, a veteran.”

After Wallace reported last week, he spent two days working one-on-one with receivers coach Scottie Montgomery to learn the playbook Haley installed during the spring and in training camp.

“It’s clear that he put some time into the (playbook) since he’s been here, and he spent all last weekend with coach Montgomery, five or six hours each day,” Haley said. “He’ll have a chance to succeed.”

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/2530240-85/wallace-haley-steelers-real-sunday-working-brown-coach-contract-role#ixzz25j4KYQb6
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook