PDA

View Full Version : Ben Roethlisberger would skip game for son's birth

polamalubeast
09-06-2012, 12:04 PM
At some point this year, Ben Roethlisberger will become a father.

The Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback hasn't shared the due date, but his son is expected to arrive smack-dab in the middle of the football season.

If the young one lands on game day, Big Ben has already decided where he'll be.

"I'm not missing the birth of my child," Roethlisberger told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "There's no chance. I know some fans probably don't want to hear that, but there's no chance."

That means Byron Leftwich or Charlie Batch (two men not expecting newborns, according to our sources) will be thrust into action.

Roethlisberger, 30, sounds thrilled to be a dad: "When you're going to be a father, all you think about is having this little baby. You don't think about the registry, the room, the diapers, all the little things that go along with it. It's exciting and it is a little bit scary, too. It is. Before long, you're going to have this little life that you're taking care of. But I've heard nothing but great things from people (about) just how it will change your life. I'm just so excited for that challenge."

Hard to argue with Roethlisberger's priorities. Especially if you've been in that delivery room, where football, career and life's minor items fade away in the moment.

CUT TO: All of hard-hitting Pittsburgh crossing their fingers for a midweek birth.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000059005/article/ben-roethlisberger-would-skip-game-for-sons-birth?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

oneforthetoe
09-06-2012, 12:31 PM
Bye week Ashley. Come on, you can do it.

Seriously, Ben has his priorities straight (or is scared stiff of his wife). Either way, it's just a game. Ben needs to be at the birth of little Ben (or Benita).

It is probably for the best anyways. If Ben played in the game, while his wife was giving birth, he would have probably tried to call her from the sidelines during the game. Surly, that would have brought a fine and suspension from Rodger Goodell.

Craic
09-06-2012, 12:53 PM
Good for Ben.

Bye week Ashley. Come on, you can do it.

Seriously, Ben has his priorities straight (or is scared stiff of his wife). Either way, it's just a game. Ben needs to be at the birth of little Ben (or Benita).

It is probably for the best anyways. If Ben played in the game, while his wife was giving birth, he would have probably tried to call her from the sidelines during the game. Surly, that would have brought a fine and suspension from Rodger Goodell.

In this thread, really? Sigh. Okay. This is simple. No cell phones are allowed on the sideline. Violate the rule, you get fined. How hard is that to understand for people? That is why you go into the tunnel, or use one of the big 70's phones on the sideline, and let them patch you through. Is it really difficult for people (talking in general now) to understand that a rule means it is not to be broken?

Oh wait, it's okay if you wife is giving birth. Okay, then is it okay if you get injured and want to call your wife to tell her your okay? How about if she as an accident? How serious of a accident does it have to be? What if she gets bad news? How serious does that news have to be before it's okay to call you on the sideline? Talk about descending down a black hole. But since it happened to a Steeler, the rule MUST be bad. :rolleyes:

SCSTILLER
09-06-2012, 12:54 PM
And anyone who gives Ben shit for missing a game because he would rather be there for the birth of his son needs to go stick their head in a running blender.

oneforthetoe
09-06-2012, 01:04 PM
Good for Ben.

In this thread, really? Sigh. Okay. This is simple. No cell phones are allowed on the sideline. Violate the rule, you get fined. How hard is that to understand for people? That is why you go into the tunnel, or use one of the big 70's phones on the sideline, and let them patch you through. Is it really difficult for people (talking in general now) to understand that a rule means it is not to be broken?

Oh wait, it's okay if you wife is giving birth. Okay, then is it okay if you get injured and want to call your wife to tell her your okay? How about if she as an accident? How serious of a accident does it have to be? What if she gets bad news? How serious does that news have to be before it's okay to call you on the sideline? Talk about descending down a black hole. But since it happened to a Steeler, the rule MUST be bad. :rolleyes:

Wow Preacher, you got all that about one small reference to a Goodell fine. I sure do say a lot without actually saying it, don't I?

Ok, note to self in future. Use ;) smiley because otherwise some people can't tell if you are serious or not.

oops edited to add. ;);););)

Don't want nothing misconstrued.

polamalubeast
09-06-2012, 01:13 PM
We’ll do everything we can to make sure it doesn’t happen,” Roethlisberger said.

But if it does happen, either Byron Leftwich or Charlie Batch will be starting at quarterback for the Steelers that day. Because Roethlisberger has decided that he’s going to prioritize being a husband and father over being a quarterback.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/06/ben-roethlisberger-ill-miss-a-game-if-my-wife-goes-into-labor/

venom
09-06-2012, 01:34 PM
Hopefully is during week 4

GodfatherofSoul
09-06-2012, 01:43 PM
If this kid is legit he'll pop out during the bye

Craic
09-06-2012, 03:34 PM
Wow Preacher, you got all that about one small reference to a Goodell fine. I sure do say a lot without actually saying it, don't I?

Ok, note to self in future. Use ;) smiley because otherwise some people can't tell if you are serious or not.

oops edited to add. ;);););)

Don't want nothing misconstrued.

Sorry, overreacted. I'm just really tired of seeing all the complaining about Good-deal. I think it tarnishes us as a fanbase.

Anyway, depending on how big the kid is, maybe he can take a position on the line for us.

CPanther95
09-06-2012, 04:46 PM
Hopefully, he'll plan better next time.

zulater
09-06-2012, 04:57 PM
Taking a devil's advocate position. But if a soldier is in Afghanistan, does he get the day off to go see his child born?

If this were a borderline starter, does he still have his position the following week?

While I understand it's important that he be there for his wife, it's also important for him to be there for his team. Unless this is some sort of high risk pregnancy I really don't like this.

Imagine if were to miss the Ravens game and it cost us the division, is that fair to his teammates?

Hopefully it doesn't come to it and Ashley gives birth on a Wednesday.

stillers4me
09-06-2012, 05:03 PM
It will be fine. They induce women a few days early all the time. If the game is critical, that bundle of love will arrive a a convenient time.

steeldevil
09-06-2012, 05:06 PM
Taking a devil's advocate position. But if a soldier is in Afghanistan, does he get the day off to go see his child born?

If this were a borderline starter, does he still have his position the following week?

While I understand it's important that he be there for his wife, it's also important for him to be there for his team. Unless this is some sort of high risk pregnancy I really don't like this.

Imagine if were to miss the Ravens game and it cost us the division, is that fair to his teammates?

I didn't want to be the first one...

I don't like it either. Not fiar to his teammates and the whole organization if he misses a big game and it costs us.

And above all else really, could they not have just planned it so the baby would be born in the summer or something? Maybe I'm just young and naive about how easy it is to plan, but it seems pretty simple to me.

Again, don't like it.

siss
09-06-2012, 05:10 PM
If mrs. Big Ben is induced for the sake of her husbands schedule, allll of Steeler nation should throw in a couple of dollars and buy her some flowers. Seriously...talk about taking one for the team. You guys have no idea how much being induced sucks.

zulater
09-06-2012, 05:52 PM
If mrs. Big Ben is induced for the sake of her husbands schedule, allll of Steeler nation should throw in a couple of dollars and buy her some flowers. Seriously...talk about taking one for the team. You guys have no idea how much being induced sucks.

About as much as losing to the Ravens I'll guess? :heh:

:wink02:

Remember I said I was taking a devil's advocate position. While I honestly think if I were Ben and faced with the same decision I would play the game. ( I was there for my son's birth for what it's worth) But everyone has to make their own choices in life, whatever he decides I'll respect.

Craic
09-06-2012, 05:56 PM
About as much as losing to the Ravens I'll guess? :heh:

:wink02:

Remember I said I was taking a devil's advocate position. While I honestly think if I were Ben and faced with the same decision I would play the game. ( I was there for my son's birth for what it's worth) But everyone has to make their own choices in life, whatever he decides I'll respect.

Now the next question. You're still basically a newlywed, and your wife is pregnant with your first child, about to give birth. What does SHE say about whether you play or not? :chuckle:
Sorry, but if Ben was smart, whatever she said, his answer would be, "Yes ma'am."

Unless of course, he decided to join this club.
http://www.bundyology.com/nomaam2.jpg

fansince'76
09-06-2012, 06:01 PM
When, exactly, is she due? :noidea: "Smack-dab in the middle of football season" is kinda vague.

X-Terminator
09-06-2012, 06:05 PM

There are some things that are more important than football. Family should always come first no matter what, and you only get one shot at being there to witness the birth of your first child. His teammates and the fans will just have to get over it if it happens.

7SteelGal43
09-06-2012, 06:06 PM
good for Ben !

SteelerFanInStl
09-06-2012, 06:13 PM
There are some things that are more important than football. Family should always come first no matter what, and you only get one shot at being there to witness the birth of your first child. His teammates and the fans will just have to get over it if it happens.

Yep. I don't know why there's any controversy about this.

zulater
09-06-2012, 06:39 PM
Yep. I don't know why there's any controversy about this.

Oh let's say Mrs Ben goes into labor about 10.30 a.m on a Sunday morning with a 1.00 p.m kickoff, you don't see where there's a controversy?

In an abstract sense, as in as long as it's not really happening, yeah there's no issue here. But if it happens to cost him a game, particularly a game the Steelers happen to lose, then it will not only blow up on the sports pages and airwaves, but also in the Steelers locker room.

I think we've finally arrived at a point where Ben is accepted and liked in the locker room. I really wish he hadn't gone public with this. I think he would have been wise to possibly broach this subject with his teammates and coaches. But there was really no need to go public with something that probably wont ever come to being.

Ben's a great quarterback. I don't even doubt he's a good person and good teammate. But sometimes his filter doesn't work, and he says too fucking much when he doesn't need to say anything. This is one of this cases.

Nadroj 20
09-06-2012, 06:54 PM
I definitely understand both sides of this. If this were baseball or even basketball it wouldn't be that big a deal because the value of 1 game in a 162 or 82 game season is less then in a 16 game season.

But if he were to miss a game to be there for the birth of his kid, first or tenth, I can't hold it against him. Family is important to me as well so I would probably make the same move if it was unavoidable that his birth fell on a game day.

Texasteel
09-06-2012, 07:35 PM
I really don't think that you can compare a football game, win or loose, to a woman giving birth, nor can you compare a mans wife to his team mates, not a pro QB with a soldier fighting in a war. Most of his team are family men, and I think they would understand what he is doing. I think he is doing just what I would do in his place. Good for you Ben.

zulater
09-06-2012, 07:49 PM
I really don't think that you can compare a football game, win or loose, to a woman giving birth, nor can you compare a mans wife to his team mates, not a pro QB with a soldier fighting in a war. Most of his team are family men, and I think they would understand what he is doing. I think he is doing just what I would do in his place. Good for you Ben.

The NFL is made up of nothing but men. How often does one miss a game over a child's birth? On the rare occasion a player's wife or girlfriend gives birth on a game day I'd wager the player usually plays.

Obviously it's Ben's right not to play if the situation arises. But it's not going to go over well with everyone, including some coaches and teammates, and I really think Ben should have kept this one quite for now.

Count Steeler
09-06-2012, 07:58 PM
To me it would depend on the importance of the game. Yes it would be nice to be there for the birth of his child, but in his chosen profession, that may effect the lively hood of his teammates adversely.

My feeling is that he is being coy and that the baby is due during the bye week. Perhaps this is the reason the Steelers opted for a very early bye this year.

Craic
09-06-2012, 08:43 PM
The NFL is made up of nothing but men. How often does one miss a game over a child's birth? On the rare occasion a player's wife or girlfriend gives birth on a game day I'd wager the player usually plays.

Obviously it's Ben's right not to play if the situation arises. But it's not going to go over well with everyone, including some coaches and teammates, and I really think Ben should have kept this one quite for now.

Actually, I'd wager he doesn't. IMO, his teammates will be completely behind him.

Players willing to miss game due to birth.

Over the last few years, we've had other players doing the exact same thing. Since two of them are leaders on the team, I doubt anything would be said.
Brett Keisel http://blog.steelers.com/2012/08/15/keisel-ready-for-game-action/
Troy P. http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/dad-to-be-polamalu-may-miss-monday-s-game/article_14b1b853-e2c8-5dec-a696-91ea282079d4.html

SteelerFanInStl
09-06-2012, 08:51 PM
Oh let's say Mrs Ben goes into labor about 10.30 a.m on a Sunday morning with a 1.00 p.m kickoff, you don't see where there's a controversy?

In an abstract sense, as in as long as it's not really happening, yeah there's no issue here. But if it happens to cost him a game, particularly a game the Steelers happen to lose, then it will not only blow up on the sports pages and airwaves, but also in the Steelers locker room.

I think we've finally arrived at a point where Ben is accepted and liked in the locker room. I really wish he hadn't gone public with this. I think he would have been wise to possibly broach this subject with his teammates and coaches. But there was really no need to go public with something that probably wont ever come to being.

Ben's a great quarterback. I don't even doubt he's a good person and good teammate. But sometimes his filter doesn't work, and he says too fucking much when he doesn't need to say anything. This is one of this cases.

Again, I don't see the controversy. Then again, I'm married and have two kids of my own. I would never put my JOB ahead of my family. The birth of his child will never happen again but there will be other football games.

People need to realize that this is a GAME and winning or losing ranks very low in the order of things that are actually important in this world.

zulater
09-06-2012, 09:12 PM
Again, I don't see the controversy. Then again, I'm married and have two kids of my own. I would never put my JOB ahead of my family. The birth of his child will never happen again but there will be other football games.

People need to realize that this is a GAME and winning or losing ranks very low in the order of things that are actually important in this world.

I'm married with a son, and I don't put anything ahead of family. So you can get off the high horse anytime you like.

As far as this being a game. To us yes. To Ben? No. It's how he makes his living. And a damn good one at that.

And his presence or absence impacts 53 other guys, as well as an entire coaching staff. One loss can cost a team it's season. The last two Super Bowl winners barely qualified for the playoffs. A play here or there and we have completely different results to the last two Super Bowls.

If as an example Ben misses a game against the Ravens because of childbirth, I'm not real happy about it. That's just honestly. I can lie and say it doesn't matter, but it does.

By the way I was in the delivery room for the birth of my son. But that doesn't make me a good husband and father.

Being faithful and committed to my wife for 22 years and treating her with love and respect makes me a good husband. Providing food, shelter, love and trying to be a good example, good listener, and good disciplinarian ( when needed) makes me a good father to my son. Though I'm far from perfect at both.

But the point remains it's what you do after your child is born more than being there at the birth that determines what quality of family man you are.

Texasteel
09-06-2012, 09:23 PM

Yes, I have noticed that most of the people on the sidelines are men. Are you saying that men have less commitment to thier family? I don't think so. There is likely some that will not like what Ben is planning but I don't see this as a wedge driving situation. I do think that most will understand his feelings on this, and respect his decision. As far as him not making his plans know, if he had not, I wager that he would be blasted for not preparing the team or the fans, or the media. We all know that it is an unwritten rule that a player must let the media know about every aspect of his life.

He has made his decision, he was up front with it, and that is that. Any of us can say "well I would have,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,", but that doesn't matter. Its what Ben feels is right.

zulater
09-06-2012, 09:34 PM
Call me a caveman if you want. But 30 years ago men were never in the delivery room for the birth of their children. At the hospital? Sure most of the time, but if you had tickets to the fight or something, maybe not. :lol:

Call it the Alan Alda effect.

But seriously. If I were a member of an NFL team, and the pregnancy was normal, my wife was healthy etc... I'm most likely playing. Particularly if it's a home game.

Basketball, baseball, hockey, and it's a regular season game, I'm probably at the hospital.

Shoes
09-06-2012, 09:41 PM
I don't even know why stuff like this is made public.

60_MINUTES
09-06-2012, 09:51 PM
I'm married with a son, and I don't put anything ahead of family. So you can get off the high horse anytime you like.

As far as this being a game. To us yes. To Ben? No. It's how he makes his living. And a damn good one at that.

And his presence or absence impacts 53 other guys, as well as an entire coaching staff. One loss can cost a team it's season. The last two Super Bowl winners barely qualified for the playoffs. A play here or there and we have completely different results to the last two Super Bowls.

If as an example Ben misses a game against the Ravens because of childbirth, I'm not real happy about it. That's just honestly. I can lie and say it doesn't matter, but it does.

By the way I was in the delivery room for the birth of my son. But that doesn't make me a good husband and father.

Being faithful and committed to my wife for 22 years and treating her with love and respect makes me a good husband. Providing food, shelter, love and trying to be a good example, good listener, and good disciplinarian ( when needed) makes me a good father to my son. Though I'm far from perfect at both.

But the point remains it's what you do after your child is born more than being there at the birth that determines what quality of family man you are.

yes what you do after the birth is very important but his wife could go through complications or the baby could as well..many people take birth for granted but people lose babys all the time... there is no way in hell you should ever put a football game before the birth of your child period..... and Im a die hard fan... but we got 53 men on this team and the next man would have to step up... I cant believe any father in the world would ever make a statement saying someone should even consider not being there for their wife during the best time of their life.. there is nothing I have ever been part of that even comes close to the birth of my children.. I will say in second place would be when I was 50 yard line for Troy P INT to send up to the Superbowl but make no mistake about it there is nothing that comes ahead of family and being there to see the birth of your child... good lord man un real

60_MINUTES
09-06-2012, 10:00 PM
shit we scheduled our wedding around football season and the steelers as my wife is all about the steelers.. we have taken our family photos in steeler gear.. painted the dog and cat for playoff season... the steelers number one around here next to family... I havent missed a game in 18 years since I got Directv...not one game... but I assure you there is no way I would ever not be there for the birth of my child and to be there for my wife... I still cant believe anyone that could help it would... how could you live the rest of your life if you wife passed away..or if your baby had complications and passed and you never got to hold it... you cant afford to even consider taking that chance... and even if everything goes perfect you will never witness something some great... hell I cried like a baby on all three of my kids births and I never cried in public before... shit Ive had broken foot..arm.. forarm... nose a couple times.. a bat hit me above the eye and missed killing me by 14 inch according to the Doc... and worst of all IMO 4 broken ribs and I aint never cried in front of anyone... but when my babies came out I poured the shit down infront of everyone there... again I just cant believe anyone would even suggest a man not be there for the birth of his child... that is if he has the option

zulater
09-06-2012, 10:09 PM
yes what you do after the birth is very important but his wife could go through complications or the baby could as well..many people take birth for granted but people lose babys all the time... there is no way in hell you should ever put a football game before the birth of your child period..... and Im a die hard fan... but we got 53 men on this team and the next man would have to step up... I cant believe any father in the world would ever make a statement saying someone should even consider not being there for their wife during the best time of their life.. there is nothing I have ever been part of that even comes close to the birth of my children.. I will say in second place would be when I was 50 yard line for Troy P INT to send up to the Superbowl but make no mistake about it there is nothing that comes ahead of family and being there to see the birth of your child... good lord man un real

I'm being honest. Far too little of that in this super sensitive world. We make out as if having babies is something other worldy, when the truth is it's only been going on since, well like just the beginning of time.

Personally the whole birth thing I found to be underwhelming. I don't regret being there, but more than anything I felt relief when it was over more than any sense of elation.

Being a father of a wonderful son, that I find great every day. Same thing with being a husband to the same woman for 22+ years.

Helping my son with his homework on a normal day, or helping my wife clean up after dinner, I find to be more comforting than any memory of the actual birthing process.

Regardless, I still go out and make a living. I could get in a wreck and die, or a tragedy could happen at home while I'm gone. But odds are things will be alright.

Same with birth. A normal pregnancy with a healthy mother, the odds are that Ben would be in greater danger on the field than Ashley during delivery.

zulater
09-06-2012, 10:13 PM
shit we scheduled our wedding around football season and the steelers as my wife is all about the steelers.. we have taken our family photos in steeler gear.. painted the dog and cat for playoff season... the steelers number one around here next to family... I havent missed a game in 18 years since I got Directv...not one game... but I assure you there is no way I would ever not be there for the birth of my child and to be there for my wife... I still cant believe anyone that could help it would... how could you live the rest of your life if you wife passed away..or if your baby had complications and passed and you never got to hold it... you cant afford to even consider taking that chance... and even if everything goes perfect you will never witness something some great... hell I cried like a baby on all three of my kids births and I never cried in public before... shit Ive had broken foot..arm.. forarm... nose a couple times.. a bat hit me above the eye and missed killing me by 14 inch according to the Doc... and worst of all IMO 4 broken ribs and I aint never cried in front of anyone... but when my babies came out I poured the shit down infront of everyone there... again I just cant believe anyone would even suggest a man not be there for the birth of his child... that is if he has the option

There's a thing called sense of duty. Imagine you're Ben's child, and you were born on Super Bowl Sunday, so your dad missed the game, and the Steelers got smoked, and everyone knows why he missed the game. If you're that kid I hope you don't live in Pittsburgh. :lol:

zulater
09-06-2012, 10:14 PM

Bingo!

siss
09-06-2012, 10:21 PM
You are forgetting one very impotant factor in all of this....Ashley is a Steeler fan. It still runs in her blood and she married the quarterback who could get the 7th Lombardi to Pittsburgh. And having babies takes a long time. If she goes into labor at 10am for a 1pm game, she could tell ben to skip the huffing and puffing and to get her son a win on his birthday (my goodness could imagine Ben during that game...he would have the game of his life).

And by the way being induced sucks WAAAAYYYY more than losing to the ratbirds. And I can speak from experience on that one.

Craic
09-06-2012, 10:28 PM
You are forgetting one very impotant factor in all of this....Ashley is a Steeler fan. It still runs in her blood and she married the quarterback who could get the 7th Lombardi to Pittsburgh. And having babies takes a long time. If she goes into labor at 10am for a 1pm game, she could tell ben to skip the huffing and puffing and to get her son a win on his birthday (my goodness could imagine Ben during that game...he would have the game of his life).

And by the way being induced sucks WAAAAYYYY more than losing to the ratbirds. And I can speak from experience on that one.

Yeah, want three yards and a cloud of dust football again? That's the perfect scenario.

Ben: Guys, we're running out the clock.

Redman: Um, I have no problem with that Ben, but there's still 14 minutes and 54 seconds left in the first quarter.

Ben: Yeah, so DON'T go out of bounds . . . and don't even worry about what plays are being sent in. Got it?

siss
09-06-2012, 10:48 PM
steeler nation needs to start sending in home remides for inducing labor...besides the obvious! I say we picth in and buy her a curry pinapple pizza with a side of castro oil and make her walk around the block and see what happens!

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/labourandbirth/planningyourbabysbirth/naturalbringonlabour/

Psycho Ward 86
09-06-2012, 11:52 PM

I see what youre trying to say but Ben isnt a soldier saving lives and fighting for freedom. He plays a game for a living. Im sure all of us would gladly miss work to see the births of our children or hypothetical children. Not much discussion imo. this is absolutely not directed whatsoever to you Zu, but imo, any fan on this board who dislikes what Ben just said needs to grow a pair and stop being a selfish fanboy. Those people honestly just want him so that the team has the best chance to win. They dont give a true damn about Ben's well being or his family. I cannot think of situation where a father should not be allowed to see his newborn child.

LLT
09-07-2012, 12:36 AM
I would miss the Super Bowl for the birth of one of my children. If something went wrong...how would I justify putting ....a game....a job...whatever you want to call it, before a loved one. This is a no brainer and Ben is doing the right thing.

nuff said.

oneforthetoe
09-07-2012, 01:44 AM
Sorry, overreacted. I'm just really tired of seeing all the complaining about Good-deal. I think it tarnishes us as a fanbase.

Anyway, depending on how big the kid is, maybe he can take a position on the line for us.

No problem padre. I actually enjoy the fact that you usually take the contrarian view. It is good to have you back.

Most here don't take my my little quips all that seriously.

Steeldude
09-07-2012, 04:18 AM
I have no problem with BR missing the game.

Now if it was me I would be at the game. It's not like they are paying me minimum wage. They would be paying me $20,000,000 for 16 days of work. Plus, I couldn't stand missing a game.

zulater
09-07-2012, 05:12 AM
I would miss the Super Bowl for the birth of one of my children. If something went wrong...how would I justify putting ....a game....a job...whatever you want to call it, before a loved one. This is a no brainer and Ben is doing the right thing.

nuff said.

No, in my opinion he's not. The right thing would have been to discuss this with coach Tomlin, Art II, Kevin Colbert, and possibly a few select teammates, and leave it in the room. If he was asked by the press what would happen if Ashley gave birth during a game, all he would have had to say is; "there's a plan in place if it comes to that." And leave it there.

There's 7 days in a week, and the Steelers only play on one of them, so chances are this will all be a moot point. So I really don't see what's gained by broaching the subject now? I wish Ben would have left it in the room. That's all.

zulater
09-07-2012, 05:18 AM
I see what youre trying to say but Ben isnt a soldier saving lives and fighting for freedom. He plays a game for a living. Im sure all of us would gladly miss work to see the births of our children or hypothetical children. Not much discussion imo. this is absolutely not directed whatsoever to you Zu, but imo, any fan on this board who dislikes what Ben just said needs to grow a pair and stop being a selfish fanboy. Those people honestly just want him so that the team has the best chance to win. They dont give a true damn about Ben's well being or his family. I cannot think of situation where a father should not be allowed to see his newborn child.

I don't dislike what he said so much as I just don't see the need to say it in the first place.

As far as Ben's well being or his family, and what level of care I have for them. Well quite honestly if he wasn't the Steelers quarterback I doubt I'd even know who the hell he was, so I suppose you're right. But I really don't see why that's relevant? The fact is he is the quarterback of the team I'm a fan of, has been for quite some time. So of course I'll always be interested in his well being, even after he retires.

Texasteel
09-07-2012, 05:45 AM

I could be wrong, but I do believe that if this would happen, and Ben had not made it public, the media would have fried him for lunch. Not for missing the game so much, but for not letting the fans and themselves know what he was planning.

LLT
09-07-2012, 05:46 AM
No, in my opinion he's not. The right thing would have been to discuss this with coach Tomlin, Art II, Kevin Colbert, and possibly a few select teammates, and leave it in the room. If he was asked by the press what would happen if Ashley gave birth during a game, all he would have had to say is; "there's a plan in place if it comes to that." And leave it there.

There's 7 days in a week, and the Steelers only play on one of them, so chances are this will all be a moot point. So I really don't see what's gained by broaching the subject now? I wish Ben would have left it in the room. That's all.

Just saying...if was my kid....my employer and fellow employees get ZERO say in the decision process.

zulater
09-07-2012, 05:56 AM
Just saying...if was my kid....my employer and fellow employees get ZERO say in the decision process.

I'm not saying you have to give them any say. But you tell them your plans and seek their advice on how to handle it if it so happens that Ashley goes into labor at an inopportune time.

And that's where you leave it. To hell with the fans and the press, if it comes to it, they'll know when it happens, and Tomlin can address the media on that day.

LLT
09-07-2012, 06:14 AM
I'm not saying you have to give them any say. But you tell them your plans and seek their advice on how to handle it if it so happens that Ashley goes into labor at an inopportune time.

And that's where you leave it. To hell with the fans and the press, if it comes to it, they'll know when it happens, and Tomlin can address the media on that day.

I understand your point....I think this whole topic is a media created non-issue.

Moose
09-07-2012, 06:22 AM
LOL, this is kinda comical. Really a no-brainer. I agree with Ben. I was there when my daughter was born and it's an experience you will never forget and always be thankful for. A miracle of life right before your eyes. It's a moment that is so close, the mother, father and child united. As a Steeler fan I am dreading the time that happens, because odds are it will be an important game for us and a win that we will need. But, that's what Batch and Leftwich are on the payroll for. If we don't have the faith in them, then they should be pounding the pavement. I hope it's the BYE week. LOL. Good luck Ben and Ashley ! Hey Ashley, do some bike riding, jogging, swimming, sex, etc.. Oh yea, hey Ben.... is the doctor a Steeler fan ?? Might make a difference as far as inducing labor.!! hahahaha.

86WARD
09-07-2012, 06:49 AM
Lol...comparing a football player to a soldier in afghanistan? There's no comparison, no correlation whatsoever.

How about if you work a shift at McDonalds? You going to lose your job if you take a personal day to see your kid born? That a good comparison?

You're talking about the birth of your kid. Two lives in the hand of a doctor. He should be there. Gimme a break.

Btw - there's a lot of other days for a birth to take place other than a Sunday...

Moose
09-07-2012, 07:25 AM
Btw - there's a lot of other days for a birth to take place other than a Sunday...

Exactly !!!

steel striker
09-07-2012, 09:10 AM
No matter what when it comes to Ben the media always blows it out of control.

Craic
09-07-2012, 10:08 AM

But Zu, this is exactly how it's been handled every time a player looks to be missing a game for a pregnancy. So . . .

1. It is probably a long-standing policy in the Steeler camp: guys, your family comes first.

2. The minute he told other she was pregnant and the date she was expecting, it automatically means he may be missing a game.

3. Why talk to other players when you know what a few of the other key leaders have already done in this situation?

4. There will be more games to play. Maybe this year, maybe not. There will never be another birth of your son/daughter.

siss
09-07-2012, 10:38 AM
No matter what when it comes to Ben the media always blows it out of control.

And he can never say the right thing ever. No matter what. I really think that Steeler nation and the media needs to give Ben a list of things he is allowed to say so that way he can please them.

Zu look I have a tremendous amout of respect for you, but you are wrong on this one. He has to live with his wife a lot longer than he has to live with Steeler nation. And being there at the birth will not make him a good father, but from a female persepective, it makes a whole lot of difference to his wife.

People told him to grow up, so he did.

fansince'76
09-07-2012, 11:13 AM
I understand your point....I think this whole topic is a media created non-issue.

This. I can't wait for the game to be played Sunday so they actually have something worth talking about for a change.

suitanim
09-07-2012, 11:39 AM
Don't they like induce 99% of labors now anyways precisely for this reason? So everything can be planned in advance?

SteelerFanInStl
09-07-2012, 01:22 PM
He has to live with his wife a lot longer than he has to live with Steeler nation. And being there at the birth will not make him a good father, but from a female persepective, it makes a whole lot of difference to his wife.

Yep, and it will make a whole lot of difference to his son also when he gets older.

Ben is putting his family first and that's exactly what he should be doing. There shouldn't be any controversy about it.

zulater
09-07-2012, 01:56 PM
Yep, and it will make a whole lot of difference to his son also when he gets older.

Ben is putting his family first and that's exactly what he should be doing. There shouldn't be any controversy about it.

Not! :lol: My dad died in 94, so I can't ask him, but given the time, I doubt very much he was in the delivery room when I popped out. And I couldn't care less now whether he was or wasn't to the point I wont bother asking my mother.

And if I were to ask my 16 year old son if he's happy I was in the room when he was born I could imagine the look on his face would probably resemble the male equivalent to this.

http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/mckayla-maroney-meme-getty.jpg

86WARD
09-07-2012, 02:19 PM
Don't they like induce 99% of labors now anyways precisely for this reason? So everything can be planned in advance?

I don't know that it's 99% but if everything is goin smoothly, yes, they an pretty much "make it happen."

Texasteel
09-07-2012, 02:34 PM
Not! :lol: My dad died in 94, so I can't ask him, but given the time, I doubt very much he was in the delivery room when I popped out. And I couldn't care less now whether he was or wasn't to the point I wont bother asking my mother.

And if I were to ask my 16 year old son if he's happy I was in the room when he was born I could imagine the look on his face would probably resemble the male equivalent to this.

http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/mckayla-maroney-meme-getty.jpg

I don't know for sure if this is true or not, but I do suspect your right. I also suspect that this WILL mean the world to Ben and his wife as well. I'm not about to look down on him for taking this opportunity. A first child only comes once. Ben has decided being there for it is more important to him.

GoSlash27
09-07-2012, 05:10 PM
I fully support Ben on this one. His family should come first no matter what.

SteelerFanInStl
09-07-2012, 06:15 PM

You need to admit to yourself that you're in the minority here instead of jumping on everyone that disagrees with you.

Of course a 16 year old isn't going to care. They don't care about most things family related. Wait until he gets older and has kids of his own.

Personally I don't want my kids thinking that I cared more about a game/job than I did about them. I glad to know that Ben, Troy and Brett feel the same way.

zulater
09-07-2012, 06:18 PM
I don't know for sure if this is true or not, but I do suspect your right. I also suspect that this WILL mean the world to Ben and his wife as well. I'm not about to look down on him for taking this opportunity. A first child only comes once. Ben has decided being there for it is more important to him.

Don't worry Tex. As much as anything I'm just taking the contrarian point of view because you just know if this actually causes Ben to miss a game, no matter what people say here now on September 7, they're going to be frantic as hell, and not overly pleased with Ben, even if they wont say it.

zulater
09-07-2012, 06:20 PM
You need to admit to yourself that you're in the minority here instead of jumping on everyone that disagrees with you.

Of course a 16 year old isn't going to care. They don't care about most things family related. Wait until he gets older and has kids of his own.

Personally I don't want my kids thinking that I cared more about a game/job than I did about them. I glad to know that Ben, Troy and Brett feel the same way.

Personally I'm absolutely sure that my son knows that I value his mother's and his life more than my own.

But regardless, is it your position that any player who would decide to play during his child's birth is an inferior father and husband?

Shoes
09-07-2012, 06:45 PM
This. I can't wait for the game to be played Sunday so they actually have something worth talking about for a change.

...and this ^. Some of these threads are really bilge worthy.

oneforthetoe
09-07-2012, 06:49 PM
I can't believe we have forgot the most important issue in this thread. What will Tommy do when Giselle gives birth?

My guess. Tommy will call Robert Kraft, who will in-turn call Rodger Goodell to have the Pats game moved to a different night, when Giselle goes into labor. ;)

GoSlash27
09-08-2012, 08:07 AM
Personally I'm absolutely sure that my son knows that I value his mother's and his life more than my own.

But regardless, is it your position that any player who would decide to play during his child's birth is an inferior father and husband?

I can't speak for anyone else, but that's my position. The only exception I can think of would be if the wife decided for him.

SteelerFanInStl
09-08-2012, 09:37 AM

So now you're putting words into my mouth? I've never come close to saying any such thing.

I've said all along that there shouldn't be a controversy about this. It's Ben's decision and people should respect it instead of whining and crying that IF it happens, the Steelers MIGHT possible lose a GAME as a result. Most likely it won't even happen so I don't know why people are getting so worked up about it.

steelreserve
09-08-2012, 10:48 AM
I think we can give him a pass on this. The birth of your child is a once-in-a-lifetime event, just like braining yourself on a motorcycle.

Actually, come to think of it, he didn't miss any games for that ...

zulater
09-08-2012, 05:58 PM
So now you're putting words into my mouth? I've never come close to saying any such thing.

I've said all along that there shouldn't be a controversy about this. It's Ben's decision and people should respect it instead of whining and crying that IF it happens, the Steelers MIGHT possible lose a GAME as a result. Most likely it won't even happen so I don't know why people are getting so worked up about it.

Sorry, I got a little carried away with my devil's advocate position. :stirthepot: Truthfully I agree with you, but I also know that if Ben were to miss a game over his child's birth it would light up the airwaves at ESPN, and I wouldn't be shocked if a few embers of resentment find their way to the locker room.It's always bothered me that Ben was questioned by several teammates for not playing with lingering concussion symptoms in 2009. If they found that bothersome it's easy to imagine this could get them pissed all over again.

siss
09-10-2012, 12:02 AM
I think Steeler nation needs to be worried about Ben missing more than just one game for the birth of his son. After tonights game, he may miss the season with injury.