PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Carter all ready for pressure situation

LLT
09-05-2012, 07:25 AM
By Alan Robinson
Wednesday, September 5, 2012, 12:01 a.m.

Imagine you are Chris Carter, and you are preparing to possibly make your first NFL start at outside linebacker. Your job is to harass and neutralize Peyton Manning, one of the most poised and pressure-proof quarterbacks ever.

There are 76,125 fans in the stands and about 25 million TV viewers. Critiquing your every move is the man you are replacing, James Harrison, who was just voted by 68 percent of the players polled as the NFL’s most violent, dangerous player.

One missed assignment, one running lane left unprotected, one potential sack not made, and the Steelers-Broncos game could change all because of you. Manning is masterful at detecting weaknesses in defenses, and you know that you are on his checkdown list. He will be watching for any hesitation, any sign of confusion. So will Harrison.

So why then are the Steelers, a team seemingly equipped to make another deep run in the playoffs, seemingly so unconcerned that Carter might have to replace one of the league’s best defensive players in such a pivotal season-opening game Sunday in Denver?

Maybe it’s because of the maturation and growth Carter has displayed from Year 1 to Year 2. Maybe it’s because Carter has shown repeatedly in practice and during the exhibition games that he can be a dangerous edge rusher.

Or maybe it’s because, as Carter said, failure isn’t an option.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2530124-85/carter-harrison-run-maybe-chris-steelers-defense-game-job-knee#ixzz25b6poa00

Texasteel
09-05-2012, 08:49 AM
Pressure Proof? Am I the only one that sees Payton fold when ever there's a defender within arms length of him? Oh well.

I have pretty much like what I have seen out of Carter so far. He is still learning but I think he will do fine no matter what we ask of him.

Shoes
09-05-2012, 01:53 PM
I see it TS and I like carter too......I don't believe Manning has played a full quarter in the preseason. I think we will do well.