PDA

View Full Version : Rashard Mendenhall 'incredible' at Steelers practice

polamalubeast
09-04-2012, 05:25 PM
It wasn't long ago that Pittsburgh Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall was viewed as a shoe-in to start the regular season on the outside looking in. General manager Kevin Colbert talked openly about Mendenhall landing on the reserve/PUP list for the first six weeks of the season following anterior cruciate ligament surgery just eight months ago.

Then came a series of surprising events: First, Mendenhall was activated in mid-August, just days after Colbert predicted his imminent shelving. Then on Monday -- ditching his red, don't-touch-me jersey -- Mendenhall took regular snaps with the starters at practice, drawing high praise from teammates.

"He looked incredible," Brett Keisel told Jim Wexell of Scout.com.

"I thought he looked great," said Lawrence Timmons. "He was running well, finishing runs. I'm excited for him."

Coach Mike Tomlin is even toying with the idea of starting Mendenhall over Isaac Redman and Jonathan Dwyer in Sunday night's season opener against the Denver Broncos, according to the site.

Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette told WTZN-FM that he doesn't expect Mendenhall to play and called his return to practice nothing more than Tomlin pulling levers to get the Broncos "thinking a little bit."

We'd be surprised if Mendenhall saw the field, but we've been surprised by his progress all summer, so we won't count him out. Neither, of course, will Denver.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000058106/article/rashard-mendenhall-incredible-at-steelers-practice?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Texasteel
09-04-2012, 05:42 PM
Now that is very good news, and we need some on injuries.

Psycho Ward 86
09-04-2012, 07:20 PM
Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette told WTZN-FM that he doesn't expect Mendenhall to play and called his return to practice nothing more than Tomlin pulling levers to get the Broncos "thinking a little bit."

stfu Bouchette...whose side are you on..

polamalubeast
09-04-2012, 07:22 PM

Bouchette also told yesterday that Wallace would not start the game against Denver!!!

86WARD
09-04-2012, 07:23 PM
Tomlin said Mendenhall could possibly start this weekend...lol.

smokin3000gt
09-04-2012, 07:23 PM

kinda what I was thinking! Why not give 'em a couple pages out of the playbook too :chuckle:

Craic
09-04-2012, 07:26 PM

Probably the Steelers. It's the double-deek!

SteelerFanInStl
09-04-2012, 08:08 PM
Good news for once. We definitely need to take it easy with him though. No reason to push it.

tube517
09-04-2012, 08:39 PM

What kind of "Hocus Pocus" is Tomlin up to? :chuckle:

salamander
09-04-2012, 08:45 PM

He's too busy worrying about defending every blade of grass in a hostile environment. :chuckle:

The Duke
09-04-2012, 08:46 PM
Unless we are really struggling, no reason to use him yet

but I'm definitely glad he's looking great. Him playing in Haley's offense has me really excited....

Craic
09-04-2012, 10:17 PM
He's too busy worrying about defending every blade of grass in a hostile environment. :chuckle:

Better that than unleashing hell.

steelerdude15
09-04-2012, 11:13 PM
This is good to hear and exciting news. I'm with everyone in not rushing him back, but if he's ready and he, the training staff, and the coaching staff feels he's ready, then I say lets give him a shot.

tube517
09-04-2012, 11:24 PM

:nono: remember, they don't listen to that "elevator music" :chuckle:

Galax Steeler
09-05-2012, 03:48 AM
Good to here hopefully he is feeling better and ready to start but I hope not to soon.

86WARD
09-05-2012, 06:49 AM
I feel like Tomlin and the boys is just fucking with Denver with these comments...

salamander
09-05-2012, 06:59 AM

Exactly. We don't want to be indians in their cowboy movie. :chuckle:

steelreserve
09-05-2012, 04:15 PM

ah, leave Bouchette alone, he's just an old sourpuss.

fansince'76
09-05-2012, 04:19 PM

Exactly. We don't want to be indians in their cowboy movie. :chuckle:

:tomlinism:

Been waiting to use that new smiley. Carry on.

:chuckle:

salamander
09-05-2012, 06:08 PM
:tomlinism:

Been waiting to use that new smiley. Carry on.

:chuckle:

Glad we can help. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Animal Mother
09-06-2012, 11:22 AM
Watching Sportscenter yesterday, they were reporting about Mendenhall possibly being back and all. I completely zoned out while they were talking because in all the highlights they showed, Mendenhall was doing his usual carrying the ball way out at his wrist and swinging his arms while he was running and all I could think of was "it is crazy he doesn't fumble every play".

http://media.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports/photo/9227500-large.jpg

http://www.rotoprofessor.com/football/pictures/Mendenhall.jpg

polamalubeast
09-06-2012, 11:27 AM
I think that Mendenhall will shock the world and he will play sunday in Denver

suitanim
09-06-2012, 11:33 AM
Mendenhall is a bust and should be cut. He dances too much, and isn't fat enough. Kordell Stewart. Bruce Arians.

Psycho Ward 86
09-06-2012, 12:03 PM
Watching Sportscenter yesterday, they were reporting about Mendenhall possibly being back and all. I completely zoned out while they were talking because in all the highlights they showed, Mendenhall was doing his usual carrying the ball way out at his wrist and swinging his arms while he was running and all I could think of was "it is crazy he doesn't fumble every play".

its doesnt matter when you're in space. Even more astounding is the fact that people forget he hardly ever fumbles.

steelerdude15
09-06-2012, 12:04 PM

He's actually gotten better with this.

The Duke
09-06-2012, 04:26 PM
its doesnt matter when you're in space. Even more astounding is the fact that people forget he hardly ever fumbles.

and use his worst fumble to negate everything he has done...

Count Steeler
09-06-2012, 04:37 PM
Hope he puts up about 115 yards against the Broncos and hope we rush for 200 yards as a team. Keep the ball out of Peyton's hands.

Psycho Ward 86
09-06-2012, 04:57 PM
and use his worst fumble to negate everything he has done...

true story.

Devilsdancefloor
09-06-2012, 06:49 PM
i would honestly have a 100% healthy mendy and big snack for that matter before they play (BTW i think Dywer starts lol just a hunch)

Nadroj 20
09-06-2012, 06:57 PM
I think Mendenhall feels that if he gives Redman the chance to start he may lose his job so he is rushing back to keep that from happening. Just pure speculation on my part but it's a thought.

I don't think he needs to push it. Make sure you are 100%.