PDA

View Full Version : On the Steelers: Polamalu lucky, blessed to just survive

LLT
09-03-2012, 04:55 AM
September 3, 2012
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Troy Polamalu witnessed yet another young player writhing on a football field Thursday night at Heinz Field. He has seen too many in his 10 years playing for the Steelers, young and old alike.

Since January alone, he has seen teammates Casey Hampton, Rashard Mendenhall, Max Starks, David Johnson and now rookie linebacker Sean Spence lost in a rage of ACL tears unprecedented in a generation in such a short period. That doesn't even count rookie guard David DeCastro's torn MCL, among other damage fixed Wednesday in a surgery, that will shelve him for at least half the season.

Hall of Famer Jim Kelly, who grew up in East Brady, Pa., often joked that Western Pennsylvania produced so many great quarterbacks because of the Iron City beer brewed in the area. But what's in the water that might be causing so many knee ligament tears on the hometown team lately? There are no answers.

Polamalu has had his own share of injuries, including a torn MCL in 2009 that limited him to just five games that season. Seeing all that carnage through the years provokes all kinds of emotions in this five-time All-Pro safety.

He feels humbled, and lucky to have survived all these years.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/on-the-steelers-polamalu-lucky-blessed-to-just-survive-651636/#ixzz25OoIfyS1

stillers4me
09-03-2012, 07:39 AM
I'm not touching this with a ten foot pole.

No jinx from me.