PDA

View Full Version : Offense has much to show in opener

LLT
09-02-2012, 03:41 AM
By Alan Robinson
Tribune-Review Sports
Published: Sunday, September 2, 2012,

Admit it. A week away from the first real game of the Steelers season, and you’re still waiting for The Blowup.

You’re certain it’s going to happen, perhaps the very first time Ben Roethlisberger discards a play call to improvise, but his wide receivers are blanketed and he takes one more sack to add to the body-punishing 261 he’s had the last half-dozen seasons.

As soon as it happens, offensive coordinator Todd Haley’s face turns an Arizona Cardinals shade of crimson, and you just know he’ll start screaming. This isn’t Bruce Arians’ offense, and there’s no more pampering Big Ben. Roethlisberger isn’t 23 any longer; he’s 30, and he needs to understand that extending his career is more important than extending a few plays.

But has anyone considered this possibility: Haley, the same coach who brought out the best in Kurt Warner, Keyshawn Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald, just might enhance Roethlisberger’s career, and without the anticipated tumult and the shouting?

“Nobody on that ship is bigger than the Steelers’ brand,” said Jamie Dukes, the longtime offensive lineman and NFL Network analyst. “Not to get too philosophical, but the volatility from Haley is a nonfactor. This is something that is much bigger than he is.”

Dukes also doesn’t buy into the prevailing theory that Haley was hired to keep the Steelers from becoming another one of those throw-it-whenever-possible teams and transform them back into a more conservative, run-oriented team like they were in the Jerome Bettis days.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2483787-85/haley-steelers-game-roethlisberger-run-ball-offense-coach-offensive-quarterback#ixzz25If2WTWl
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

Count Steeler
09-02-2012, 05:29 AM
I would be really surprised to see a huge blowout from Haley. He is older, more mature and with the team of his growing up years. Maybe it is the "voice" that Polamalu referred to, but I think Haley has submitted to Tomlin and understands it is Tomlin's team. Haley understands that he must produce a winning offense and Ben is the key component to any success.

I think, so far, Haley has gone about his business very professionally. Ben has also matured and understands his importance to the success of the Steelers. I really don't expect a blow up. I do, however, expect some blow outs.

ALLD
09-02-2012, 08:10 AM
Ben needs to show more polish than to simply discard plays and work off the ensuing chaos. He is the best at what he does, but often it is the long road instead of taking what the defense gives you.

SteelerFanInStl
09-02-2012, 08:50 AM
I'm more worried about the defense, primarily the secondary without Ryan Clark, in the opener than the offense.

Pristas
09-02-2012, 09:45 AM
I'm more worried about the defense, primarily the secondary without Ryan Clark, in the opener than the offense.

This is our achilles in Denver. Without Clark, Polamalu isn't able to do what he does. That is a pretty big one two punch and that starts the moment we take the field. It's like playing from behind from the start. We need to score early and often if we're going to win this matchup. Offense is the key to the win. Starks and Gilbert need to come up big.