PDA

View Full Version : Polamalu enters season ‘safety centered’

LLT
09-02-2012, 03:39 AM
By Alan Robinson
Tribune-Review Sports
Published: Sunday, September 2, 2012,

Troy Polamalu remembers when he could rely upon his exquisite timing to vault the offensive line and propel himself into the backfield, disrupting a play even before it started. Nobody else in the NFL could do it.

Or when he made plays so instinctively and athletic — such as his improbable, one-handed interception on a snowy field against Philip Rivers of the Chargers — that it required multiple replay reviews to determine how he possibly made them.

Those were the days for the player of a generation. These days, Polamalu is out to prove it’s not a generation that’s passed.

“I’ve been hiding a lot of my faults,” he says, laughing.

Once a super athlete whose ability to play half the positions on defense made him a game plan nightmare for offensive coordinators, Polamalu — at age 31 — is as apt to rely on his nine-plus seasons of experience as he is his unnatural instincts. He’s also become more of a true safety than a defender who regularly makes can-you-believe-it’s-true plays.

And when he films those Head & Shoulders ads that, according to Procter & Gamble, boosted sales 10 percent among the young adult target group, he must tint some of his gray hair. He’s also more fastidious about his offseason eating, dieting earlier in advance of training camp this year than before.

It’s not as if Polamalu is being ravaged by time; it’s just that a player for the ages has to be conscious of his age. He also appears intent on improving upon a 2011 season in which the Steelers were No. 1 defensively and he made the All-Pro team, but his interceptions dropped to two from seven the season before.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2514407-85/polamalu-playing-troy-safety-game-position-experience-player-season-bit#ixzz25IeKnZbM
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

SteelerEmpire
09-02-2012, 05:58 AM
I'm just wondering if all of those different responsibilities have contributed to the injuries he's had the last several years ? I mean he does "already" have grey hairs, so is the rest of his body starting to age prematurely as well ? I would not argue if he would switch to the "Free-Safety" position and just became a full time ball hawk, like Ed Reed. That way Troy would not have to tackle as much and therefore sustain injuries. And in addition, the team's total interception rate would sky-rocket !

steelreserve
09-02-2012, 11:54 AM
You know what was awesome last year? That play where he times the snap and launches himself flying over the center, and tackles the QB before he can even drop back or hand the ball off. He'd been trying that for the past 8 or 9 years and always barely missing, but last year was the first time I saw it actually work. (I mean, it was still messing up the play when he did it, but he never actually got a sack before).