PDA

View Full Version : On the Steelers: Starks back as starting LT

LLT
09-02-2012, 03:30 AM
September 2, 2012 12:16 am
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

For the second consecutive year, Max Starks' biography is nowhere to be found in the 500-page Steelers media guide. For the second consecutive year, Starks will hold down what football people say is the second-most important position on offense, left tackle.

He will serve as quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's blind-side protector for the fifth consecutive year. And for the second year in a row, Starks will work on a one-year, minimum-wage contract.

He couldn't be happier.

"I've been fortunate to have been in this position the past two years," Starks said, sincerely.

He goes to work with a smile on his face, even though his employers often have shown him little respect. It began with the new coaching staff in 2007. They took one look at their starting right tackle of the previous two years, including one that helped produce a Vince Lombardi Trophy, and demoted him. He started just four games that season.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/on-the-steelers-starks-back-as-starting-lt-651556/#ixzz25IcEwR7E

The Duke
09-02-2012, 04:15 AM
Yes, it's business. But we're very lucky he hasn't taken his business elsewhere

he's a smart man though. He obviously isn't in it for the money, and knows his best chance to win (and start) is with us. Hope the knee holds up big guy!

Count Steeler
09-02-2012, 05:56 AM
One of the down sides of having a salary cap. Some players will never get their "worth". Unfortunately, only the high profile positions garner more and more money, while some of the less glamorous positions suffer. LT is a position that should be worth more than vet min., but the Steelers can consider themselves very fortunate to have a man like Starks.

Hopefully Adams can learn more than just how to play LT, he will learn to be a team player.

Steeldude
09-02-2012, 07:48 AM
If Starks or Gilbert go down the Steelers will be in trouble. Adams isn't ready at all. Beachum is further off than Adams. They would have to place Colon back at RT and move Legursky to guard. I hope the O-line can stay healthy. Starks and Colon have been healthy. This O-line could be worse than 2011. One good thing is Arians is gone. That will alleviate some of the potential QB pressure.

Count Steeler
09-02-2012, 08:54 AM
If Starks or Gilbert go down the Steelers will be in trouble. Adams isn't ready at all. Beachum is further off than Adams. They would have to place Colon back at RT and move Legursky to guard. I hope the O-line can stay healthy. Starks and Colon have been healthy. This O-line could be worse than 2011. One good thing is Arians is gone. That will alleviate some of the potential QB pressure.

Expect Essex to be back in the fold when DeCastro is put on the 8 game IR.

steelreserve
09-02-2012, 11:06 AM
One of the down sides of having a salary cap. Some players will never get their "worth". Unfortunately, only the high profile positions garner more and more money, while some of the less glamorous positions suffer. LT is a position that should be worth more than vet min., but the Steelers can consider themselves very fortunate to have a man like Starks.

Hopefully Adams can learn more than just how to play LT, he will learn to be a team player.

Remember a few years ago, when Marvel Smith didn't come back due to injury, and Starks had us over a barrel? We ended up franchising him twice in a row and then giving him a big contract for $6M or $8M a year. Heck, I think about $4M of his signing bonus was still carried over on the books last year. So he's definitely been paid his worth; don't feel sorry for him. Also don't forget he's a pretty-good LT, not a great one, and other teams were probably hesitant because he's coming off an ACL injury. The really good LTs routinely pull in $8-10M a year. That position is definitely paid, and paid well.

Did anyone else find it ironic that Starks is now saying "I've been fortunate to have been in this position the past two years," about his vet-minimum salary? Back when we were stuck franchising him because of our shitty OL depth, he said something like "I'm very blessed to be in this position." Anyway, sounds like he's happy now just to have a job in the NFL, so I guess his head is in the right place. Seems like he's finally been working harder the past couple years like we'd always hoped, too. Overall, what a weird, weird sequence of events with him.