PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Reduce Roster to 53

polamalubeast
08-31-2012, 03:44 PM
The Steelers have placed rookie linebacker Sean Spence on their Reserve/Injured List and released 21 others, reducing their roster to the league-mandated 53 players, the team announced today.

Spence suffered a left knee injury in the Steelers’ preseason finale against the Carolina Panthers and will miss the 2012 season.

Two veterans that have spent time with the Steelers who were released today are offensive lineman Trai Essex and punter Jeremy Kapinos (Waived/Injured List). Essex has played in 76 career games for Pittsburgh (28 starts) while Kapinos has been the team’s punter for most of the past two seasons.

The other 19 players released include defensive backs Damon Cromartie-Smith, Terrence Frederick and Josh Victorian, linebackers Brandon Hicks and Marshall McFadden, defensive linemen Corbin Bryant, Igbinosun Ikponmwosa and Jake Stoller, quarterback Jerrod Johnson, running back DuJuan Harris, wide receivers Tyler Beiler, Toney Clemons, David Gilreath, Marquis Maze and Derrick Williams, and offensive linemen Ryan Lee, John Malecki and Chris Scott.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-Reduce-Roster-to-53/127765de-9c94-429f-9bb2-5cc5ec93b2b9?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Craic
08-31-2012, 03:48 PM
Wow.

Johnson over one of the older QB's.

Gilreath is gone?

Essex? Guess I could've seen that coming.

Kapinos. Good bye.

Pristas
08-31-2012, 03:54 PM
Who's the 5th WR they kept? Can't believe they let Maze go. Are they going to try to hide him on the PS?

polamalubeast
08-31-2012, 03:56 PM
Who's the 5th WR they kept? Can't believe they let Maze go. Are they going to try to hide him on the PS?

the steelers keep only 4 WR

steeldevil
08-31-2012, 03:57 PM

Why? Did he even have a catch in preseason? LOL. I know I saw him have a big drop.

polamalubeast
08-31-2012, 04:01 PM
Kept (4) WR (5) RB (3) TE (1) FB (3) QB (9) OL #steelers

https://twitter.com/Steelersdepot

polamalubeast
08-31-2012, 04:02 PM
Kept (3) NT (4) DE (4) CB (5) S (9) LB

Pristas
08-31-2012, 04:04 PM
I thought Maze was the one making all of the acrobatic catches. Maybe I'm wrong... so is it only four Wallace, Brown, Sanders, Cotchery?

Chidi29
08-31-2012, 04:05 PM
I thought Maze was the one making all of the acrobatic catches. Maybe I'm wrong... so is it Wallace, Brown, Sanders, Cotchery, Clemmons?

No, Clemons was released. Just the first four.

Count Steeler
08-31-2012, 04:05 PM
I thought Maze was the one making all of the acrobatic catches. Maybe I'm wrong... so is it Wallace, Brown, Sanders, Cotchery, Clemmons?

Clemons is cut. They kept 4 WR, 5RB, so expect Rainey to get some snaps at WR, Slot.

Pristas
08-31-2012, 04:07 PM
Ha! My ninja edit wasn't very good.

tube517
08-31-2012, 04:12 PM
Kept (4) WR (5) RB (3) TE (1) FB (3) QB (9) OL #steelers

So, 5 RBs are: Mendy, Redman, Dwyer, B.Batch, and Rainey? Is Johnson listed as TE then?

polamalubeast
08-31-2012, 04:19 PM
So, 5 RBs are: Mendy, Redman, Dwyer, B.Batch, and Rainey? Is Johnson listed as TE then?

for the RB...yes....for Johnson...I don't know

steeldevil
08-31-2012, 04:29 PM
I would imagine Johnson is the 1 FB they kept.

polamalubeast
08-31-2012, 04:43 PM
One move #Steelers did not announce is that TE Weslye Saunders will go on suspended list and not count on roster. Rooke TE Paulson makes it

https://twitter.com/EdBouchette

Steelers keep nine offensive lineman, but one (DeCastro) is out for half a season. The three non-starters are two rookies and Doug Legursky.

https://twitter.com/ktorgent

decastro cant be moved to 8 week IR until 4 on tuesday

7willBheaven
08-31-2012, 04:46 PM
I thought Maze was the one making all of the acrobatic catches. Maybe I'm wrong... so is it only four Wallace, Brown, Sanders, Cotchery?

Yes he did have a few nice catches.

polamalubeast
08-31-2012, 04:52 PM
Final roster:

QB: Big Ben, Leftwich, Batch
RB: Mendenhall, Redman, Dwyer, Rainey, Batch
FB: Johnson
WR: Wallace, AB, Sanders, Cotchery
TE: Miller, Pope, Paulson (Saunders suspended 4 games)
OT: Starks, Gilbert, Adams, Beachum
OG: Colon, Foster, Decastro
C: Pouncey, Legursky

DE: Keisel, Hood, Heyward, Woods
NT: McLendon, Hampton, Ta'amu
OLB: Harrison, Woodley, Carter, Worilds, Robinson
ILB: Timmons, Foote, Sylvester, B. Johnson
CB: Taylor, Lewis, C. Allen, C. Brown
S: Polamalu, Clark, Mundy, Golden, W. Allen

K: Sushi
P: Butler
LS: Warren

Count Steeler
08-31-2012, 04:58 PM
Final roster:

QB: Big Ben, Leftwich, Batch
RB: Mendenhall, Redman, Dwyer, Rainey, Batch
WR: Wallace, AB, Sanders, Cotchery
TE: Miller, Pope, Paulson (Saunders suspended 4 games)
OT: Starks, Gilbert, Adams, Beachum
OG: Colon, Foster, Decastro
C: Pouncey, Legursky

DE: Keisel, Hood, Heyward, Woods
NT: McLendon, Hampton, Ta'amu
OLB: Harrison, Woodley, Carter, Worilds, Robinson
ILB: Timmons, Foote, Sylvester, B. Johnson
CB: Taylor, Lewis, C. Allen, C. Brown
S: Polamalu, Clark, Mundy, Golden, W. Allen

K: Sushi
P: Butler
LS: Warren

Missing FB: Johnson

86WARD
08-31-2012, 05:01 PM

Chris Rainey...called that a while ago.

86WARD
08-31-2012, 05:02 PM
btw - nobody named Batch should be on the roster...lol.

vader29
08-31-2012, 05:36 PM
Thought for sure either Gilreath or Williams were going to make it as a 5th receiver. Roster looks good to me though, can't wait for next Sunday to get here!

steelreserve
08-31-2012, 06:08 PM
Man... this just made me realize half our team is either fucked up with injuries or coming off of injuries.

We're also basically going to get no contribution from our draft class unless Rainey is on fire. That's about the complete opposite from the position I thought we were in a month ago.

GBMelBlount
08-31-2012, 06:16 PM
Man... this just made me realize half our team is either fucked up with injuries or coming off of injuries.

We're also basically going to get no contribution from our draft class unless Rainey is on fire. That's about the complete opposite from the position I thought we were in a month ago.

I know.

But our defense is still very solid and our offense is LOADED with weapons.

As long as Ben is healthy and the injuries don't continue piling up I have a very good feeling about this year.

steelreserve
08-31-2012, 06:27 PM
I know.

But our defense is still very solid and our offense is LOADED with weapons.

As long as Ben is healthy and the injuries don't continue piling up I have a very good feeling about this year.

Oh yeah. I'm disappointed about some of the guys who are out, and nervous about some of the ones trying to come back, but things have a way of turning out in ways you'd never, ever predict.

Hell, in 2006 and 2009 I thought we were on track for a repeat ... and after the first game of 2004 when Maddox got injured, I was going, "Aww shit, we have to put this Roethlisberger guy in already? There goes the season." Goes to show that we know absolutely nothing before the season actually starts.

SteelerFanInStl
08-31-2012, 06:29 PM
decastro cant be moved to 8 week IR until 4 on tuesday

I'm guessing that Essex gets called back at that time.

SteelerFanInStl
08-31-2012, 06:31 PM
I would have rather seen us keep Johnson than keep both of the geriatric backup QBs.

Shoes
08-31-2012, 06:36 PM
I would have rather seen us keep Johnson than keep both of the geriatric backup QBs.

I agree...I like Chuck and Lefty but they have very brittle bones. I think they made a mistake letting this kid go.

Devilsdancefloor
08-31-2012, 06:56 PM
Beachum & w allen shyouldnt have made the squad, but i am glad very very glad golden did! hope they can sneak a few guyson the PS like Johnson plu si am kinda shocked roninson made the cut i was sure he was going to be PS material unless they thought someoen was gonna snatch him up

Count Steeler
08-31-2012, 07:29 PM
Beachum & w allen shyouldnt have made the squad, but i am glad very very glad golden did! hope they can sneak a few guyson the PS like Johnson plu si am kinda shocked roninson made the cut i was sure he was going to be PS material unless they thought someoen was gonna snatch him up

I'm sure the Spence injury helped out Robinson.

NCSteeler
08-31-2012, 07:46 PM
Don't think Johnson will make it through waivers with the lack of QB talent around the league. I know they value veterans and I love Batch's character but Johnson would be the best #3 QB.

Steeltreal
08-31-2012, 07:48 PM
really thin at corner. Out of the 5 safeties only Troy can play man?

Craic
08-31-2012, 07:48 PM

I agree...I like Chuck and Lefty but they have very brittle bones. I think they made a mistake letting this kid go.

I couldn't agree more. I like the fact that right now, if Ben gets hurt, we don' t have the huge drop that other teams have. Both of these guys were starters in the NFL and know how to play the game. I'd be comfortable going through a two or three game stretch with them. My only worry however, would be if they could stay healthy.

That is why I liked Johnson. He seemed like he could really come of age. Heck, if nothing else, let Batch go (he won't be picked up by anyone else), tell him to stay close and in shape in case someone else gets injured, then train up Johnson to be a draft-day trade from the fourth to the third round.

steelerdude15
08-31-2012, 10:29 PM
There are a few cuts that I didn't agree with. I felt there were a few players who were definitely worth keeping and cutting the other player who has that position now. I would have liked to have seen the Steelers kept Jerrod Johnson, Trai Essex (I find this cut a complete surprise and keeping Kelvin Beachum is once again, a shocker), and Daniel Hrapmann.

steelreserve
08-31-2012, 11:15 PM
Out of the 5 safeties only Troy can play man?

He can? That's news to me. When he's not playing wildcard, he has trouble all the time in straight-up coverage. That's his one weakness IMO.

steelerdude15
08-31-2012, 11:36 PM
He can? That's news to me. When he's not playing wildcard, he has trouble all the time in straight-up coverage. That's his one weakness IMO.

I personally feel he does well in man coverage. Maybe I haven't been paying close enough attention.

steelreserve
09-01-2012, 02:38 AM
He seems to do well in certain situations in man coverage. Reading the play and picking up a guy 10 yards downfield, he's great at. Becoming the default nickel back and lining up against a receiver before the snap Ike Taylor style, not so much. He's so good at the first kind that it's easy to see the other ones as flukes and busted plays, but it's definitely something I've noticed.

Texasteel
09-01-2012, 07:24 AM
Thought for sure either Gilreath or Williams were going to make it as a 5th receiver. Roster looks good to me though, can't wait for next Sunday to get here!

I think Rainey gave them a lot of flexability in the WR position. Otherwise Gilreath or Williams may have made the cut.

suitanim
09-01-2012, 07:25 AM
Wow.

Johnson over one of the older QB's.

Gilreath is gone?

Essex? Guess I could've seen that coming.

Kapinos. Good bye.

I would have kept Johnson and developed him...I know it would have meant cutting Lefty, but gotta look to the future...

Texasteel
09-01-2012, 07:29 AM
Don't think Johnson will make it through waivers with the lack of QB talent around the league. I know they value veterans and I love Batch's character but Johnson would be the best #3 QB.

I don't think Johnson was likely to play this year no matter what. They would have kept him for future years, and obviously they didn't like him as much as some of us. Personally I look for us to look for a QB in this years draft.

suitanim
09-01-2012, 08:54 AM
My problem with cutting Johnson and keeping Lefty is a pragmatic one: With our OL, Ben WILL be injured this year, at least slightly. If he goes down in the 1st qtr, and we put in Batch, we still have the same spotty OL in front of him. He could get hit and break a hip or something. Then we have equally geriatric Lefty off the bench...and the same OL. If HE gets hit and throws out his back or something, then we spend the rest of the game running the wildcat with Rainey.

We need some kind of youth at QB, someone whose bones aren't brittle...

polamalubeast
09-01-2012, 09:02 AM
My problem with cutting Johnson and keeping Lefty is a pragmatic one: With our OL, Ben WILL be injured this year, at least slightly. If he goes down in the 1st qtr, and we put in Batch, we still have the same spotty OL in front of him. He could get hit and break a hip or something. Then we have equally geriatric Lefty off the bench...and the same OL. If HE gets hit and throws out his back or something, then we spend the rest of the game running the wildcat with Rainey.

We need some kind of youth at QB, someone whose bones aren't brittle...

Roethlisberger has only missed three games due to injury since week 2 in 2006 despite having had 270 sacks

Chidi29
09-01-2012, 09:54 AM

Many, many teams are only carrying two QBs. Johnson will probably make it through though I realize there's no guarantees.

Psycho Ward 86
09-01-2012, 11:28 AM
wow really shocked both gilreath and williams got cut. im not really worried about wide receiver depth though so i think that was a roster spot well used. Looks like Butler got the punting job with Kapinos cut, im lovin that move. As far as injuries and shanks, no team has had at worse at the punting position than the Steelers since 2008 :lol:. And thank god Essex is finally gone.

Steeldude
09-01-2012, 01:04 PM
Who is the starting CB opposite Taylor? Is it C. Allen or Lewis?

Count Steeler
09-01-2012, 01:07 PM
Who is the starting CB opposite Taylor? Is it C. Allen or Lewis?

According to steelers.com, Lewis is the LCB. Allen is his backup. Curtis Brown is listed behind Ike.

Steeldude
09-01-2012, 02:12 PM

IMO, he will make it through. I don't see why anyone would want to pick him up.