PDA

View Full Version : Gay, McFadden competing for starting spot

LLT
07-21-2010, 09:43 AM
Gay, McFadden competing for starting spot
By John Harris, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, July 21, 2010

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- William Gay acknowledges freely that things didn't go as planned during his first year as the Steelers' starting left cornerback.

"Being consistent week in and week out -- I had to learn that the hard way," Gay said Tuesday, following a workout at ESPN Wide World of Sports. "You've got to come to play. I hit some bumpy roads in those 16 weeks."

Given Gay's struggles as a first-time starter -- he didn't start the final two games last season -- the Steelers brought back Bryant McFadden in a draft-day trade and signed him to a three-year contract extension.

Ironically, one of the reasons McFadden joined the Arizona Cardinals in 2009 as a free agent is because Gay replaced him in the starting lineup. The tables have turned, with McFadden taking reps with the Steelers' first-team defense during offseason practices and Gay being featured at nickel back.

With the opening of training camp nine days away, McFadden and Gay have been training side-by-side with speed and conditioning coach Tom Shaw. There have been no outward signs of a rivalry between the players, who within the span of a year have discovered the euphoria and heartbreak that come with being a NFL starting cornerback.

Yesterday, McFadden and Gay lifted weights inside and ran themselves ragged outdoors while exchanging easy conversation with each other and teammates James Farrior and Ike Taylor.

"We're best of (friends) outside of the field and on the field," Gay said of his relationship with McFadden. "You're going to have people saying: 'They're battling for this job.' Being the competitor I am, that was competition coming back.

"(But) I focus on William Gay getting better and how I can do that. Before you can compete, you've got to make sure you're ready."

Said McFadden: "I enjoy working out with teammates and players that play the same position because it forces the issue for me to continue to get better."

The past couple of years reaffirmed for McFadden, a second-round draft pick in 2005, why it's important to take nothing for granted and to always expect the unexpected.

"Every year is a proving point, regardless if you're a 10-year veteran or a rookie," McFadden said. "You've always got to prove yourself over and over again in this league because nothing's guaranteed."

McFadden said signing a free-agent contract with Arizona and then being traded to the Steelers after one season taught him a valuable lesson about life in the NFL.

"Sometimes, it's good to see how things (are) done on the other side," McFadden said of his stint with the Cardinals. "I'm happy to be back."

Gay, meanwhile, said he was happy when he discovered McFadden had been traded to the Steelers, even though it may have cost him his starting job.

"When they brought him back, I was at his camp (in Hollywood, Fla.)," Gay said. "He came over and said, 'I'm back.' I said, 'cool.' I was happy for him, happy for the team.

"I wasn't worried about, 'he's coming back, do I still have my job?' I looked at it as a friend coming back. He never should have left."

Yesterday, McFadden folded his arms and leaned back when asked about his competition with Gay, who was sitting beside him.

Clearly, McFadden, who has 34 career starts, sees himself entrenched as the starter over Gay, a fifth-round pick in 2007 with 18 career starts.

"I can't afford to allow somebody to outwork me," McFadden said.

Still, McFadden focused on team goals rather than individual accomplishments when reflecting upon his return to the Steelers.

"It's the closest thing to a family that you can have outside of your real family," McFadden said. "A lot of teams don't (have) that, especially when you've got somebody you feel as though you might be competing with them. You might not talk with them outside the locker room.

"Here? Who cares?

"It's not one of those teams where you only see your teammates at work. For us to be successful, we've got to enjoy being with each other off the field and on."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_691276.html

Psycho Ward 86
07-21-2010, 10:04 AM
Gay is not the way! Gay is not the way! :chuckle:

steelpride12
07-21-2010, 10:18 AM
Well BMac is clearly the better corner and has proved that when he played here. I hope in no way Gay is starting this season if we want to improve our secondary.

BigNastyDefense
07-21-2010, 10:32 AM
Are they going to give Gay a shot at winning the starting CB job? Yeah, to be fair they will. But in reality, everyone knows that the better CB is McFadden.

And Gay isn't only competing for a starting CB job. He isn't being handed the nickel job either. I am sure Burnett and Lewis are going to gun for that job.

steelerdude15
07-21-2010, 10:51 AM
McFadden should start and my God if he doesn't start... :doh2:

Steely McSmash
07-21-2010, 11:30 AM
Well that 's the story according to Gay -- He thinks he's going to compete.

I've heard before that it was more likely to be Keenan Lewis v Mcfadden for the #2 spot.

Devilsdancefloor
07-21-2010, 11:42 AM
i really think lewis is going to surprise alot of people.

steeldevil
07-21-2010, 01:50 PM
He better be focused, he may slide all the way to the #5 spot...

Killer
07-21-2010, 02:06 PM
Did you watch that 51-45 Cards/GB wild card game where McFadden got beat every way imaginable - I bet he's REALLY glad to be back.

He's still better than Gay though - we'll see what we got.

BlastFurnace
07-21-2010, 05:10 PM
McFadden is better in our system, but based upon what happened last year to him, he will have a target on his back.

I think we will see Lewis step up this season as well as that 6th round CB that we drafted. It will be interesting to see what happens to Taylor after this season. While I think he is an excellent CB, the money is going to go to Woodley after this season. Unless Taylor signs a deal similar to his last deal, I could see him going somewhere else.

fansince'76
07-21-2010, 05:13 PM
Did you watch that 51-45 Cards/GB wild card game where McFadden got beat every way imaginable - I bet he's REALLY glad to be back.

McFadden spent most of last season getting burnt in a similar fashion to that game. Dear Troy, stay healthy. PLEASE. :pray:

SMR
07-21-2010, 08:18 PM
Gay is not the way! Gay is not the way! :chuckle:

lol

venom
07-21-2010, 08:42 PM
Any questions ?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_QX4_lyu8Ub4/SufkjGDnJ1I/AAAAAAAAASk/f-ZcLIiYCJI/s320/610x.jpg

SMR
07-21-2010, 09:00 PM
Any questions ?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_QX4_lyu8Ub4/SufkjGDnJ1I/AAAAAAAAASk/f-ZcLIiYCJI/s320/610x.jpg

Ouch! That is an episode I would like to forget.

tony hipchest
07-21-2010, 09:45 PM
hell, thats the most worthy game remembering for me. we beat the best qb, best rb, best wr corps (and one hell of a defense) that we face all year. werent they like 8-0 at the point? they were minutes away from representing the NFC in the superbowl, and despite, w. gay getting steamrolled, and percy harvin disecting our ST, troy polamalu made a TD saving stop on the 1 inch line, and fox and woodley stepped up to save us the game.

meanwhile the steelers went on to lose to 3 of the 5 most shittiest, suckiest, God awful teams in the league (raiderzzup, browns, and chiefs).

Galax Steeler
07-22-2010, 03:56 AM
With the competition of BMac we could see Gay stepping it up a notch. Maybe this is what he needs to get motivated.

Steeldude
07-22-2010, 05:48 AM
Well BMac is clearly the better corner and has proved that when he played here. I hope in no way Gay is starting this season if we want to improve our secondary.

i don't remember mcfadden playing well at all. i remember being out of position, PI penalties and fruity dances when making a routine play.

TroysBarber
07-22-2010, 06:35 AM
The Steelers let BMac leave via free agency after the 08 season for a reason. Gay played as well as McFadden did that year. While BMac was out due to injuries in 08, Gay stepped in and the defense didn't miss a beat.

Everybody here seems to think that 08 was a fluke season for Gay, but isn't it just as possible that 09 was the fluke season instead? Remember, it wasn't just Gay that looked horrible in the secondary last year. Even Ike played below his abilities.

I'm not saying that Gay will win the starting job, but I'm not counting him out yet either. He just might revert to his 08 form.

BPS3akaWirels3
07-22-2010, 07:25 AM
I'll put my money on McFadden..

Chidi29
07-22-2010, 07:26 AM
Right after the trade, I went back and compared Gay's and McFadden's numbers according to profootballfocus. The numbers are as follows:

Gay: 71/105, 67.6 % catches allowed, 10.9 YPC, 2 TD, 95.5 passer rating

McFadden (2008 with us): 36/56, 64.3% catches allowed, 9.5 YPC, 1 TD, 72.2 passer rating
McFadden (2009 with ARI): 77/127, 60.6% catches allowed, 13.5 YPC, 7 TD, 105.1 passer rating
McFadden (average of past two years) 57/92 62% catches allowed, 11.5 YPC, 4 TD, 88.65 passer rating

--------------

McFadden is better but only slightly. Looking at the average, his catch allowed % is still fairly high for a corner, his YPC is higher than Gay's, the TDs would be the same (prorated) and the passer rating isn't that much better.

I'm with TroysBarber one this one. Gay certainly wasn't good last year, but the bigger issue was the loss of Troy and the dominio effect it created.

Troy is the only playmaker in the secondary we have. But we're a defense that is focused around, among other things, creating disruption and forcing turnovers. Take Troy away and you're now asking non-playmakers to make Troy-esque plays. Either that or not change their roles and because we play that passive zone with our corners off, get nickled and dimed down the field without the chance of having that one big interception that justifies playing that kind of defense.

I'm convinced that McFadden would have looked just as bad as Gay did.